Tue, Oct 1, 9:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: OT: Angry grammar

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 3:15 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 9:36 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Attached Link: This is a good one, also

file_478135.jpg

:)

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 3:20 PM

LOL!!!

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 3:24 PM

so... you launch the words at pigs in houses?

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 4:02 PM

Laurie

nobodyinparticular ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 4:34 PM

Why does that remind me of paying taxes? Thanks, SamTherapy.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 4:42 PM

So Where is a slang term for a bed.  Or a couch.  Or a bathroom. Or a car.  Or a rarely used room in the office.  Also if a woman asks you "where" do you want to go, I take it that means she's ready for doing it.

This could get confusing for the non-slang enlightened.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

cedarwolf ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 4:47 PM

Thanks.  I'll have to figure out a way to smuggle these to my Freshman Composition students.

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 5:15 PM · edited Wed, 01 February 2012 at 5:18 PM

>>begin rant<< IMHO one of the greatest grammatical atrocities ever visited upon the english language was committed by
one Judge "Archibald Cox" of the infamous watergate Scandal that led to the resignation of President Richard Nixon.

He IGNORANTLY Declared Richard Nixon to be an "un-indicted CO-CONSPIRATOR"!!!.

The word conspire is derived from the latin: conspīrāre to plot together, literally: to breathe together, from spīrāre to breathe.

Thus anyone involved in a conspiracy is by default plotting /planning in conjuction with at least one other person/entity,making the prefix "CO" in the word "CO-CONSPIRATOR", redundant.

it is the linguistic equivalent of saying you are a "Co-partner" in a law firm when the partnership  itself
indicates a minimum of two or more parties.

And of course the law  enforcement and court system Follows this trend daily by indicting single ,lone individuals on the ridiculous charge of "conspiracy" to Defraud or  "conspiracy" to commit this or that act
.>>end rant<<

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

Larry F ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 5:41 PM

I proof read for a living - at least a large portion of my income results from that - and when I first got on the web, this kind of stuff drove me batty. Thankfully time has made me practically blind to it.

I do, however, feel your pain!

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 5:57 PM

Quote - >>begin rant<< IMHO one of the greatest grammatical atrocities ever visited upon the english language was committed by
one Judge "Archibald Cox" of the infamous watergate Scandal that led to the resignation of President Richard Nixon.

He IGNORANTLY Declared Richard Nixon to be an "un-indicted CO-CONSPIRATOR"!!!.

The word conspire is derived from the latin: conspīrāre to plot together, literally: to breathe together, from spīrāre to breathe.

Thus anyone involved in a conspiracy is by default plotting /planning in conjuction with at least one other person/entity,making the prefix "CO" in the word "CO-CONSPIRATOR", redundant.

it is the linguistic equivalent of saying you are a "Co-partner" in a law firm when the partnership  itself
indicates a minimum of two or more parties.

And of course the law  enforcement and court system Follows this trend daily by indicting single ,lone individuals on the ridiculous charge of "conspiracy" to Defraud or  "conspiracy" to commit this or that act
.>>end rant<<

Cheers

Plenty of that in everyday speech...lol. Take for instance, the "hot water heater". Now, why would anyone need to heat hot water? :P

Laurie

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 5:59 PM

Quote - I proof read for a living - at least a large portion of my income results from that - and when I first got on the web, this kind of stuff drove me batty. Thankfully time has made me practically blind to it.

I do, however, feel your pain!

I had to convince a proofreader once that it was "iced tea" not "ice tea" and "Brussels Sprouts" not "Brussel Sprouts" LOL. I also had a heck of a hard time convicing an editor that, as pertains to the movie, "Beetlejuice" was all one word...lol.

Laurie

Larry F ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:47 PM

Ha ha! I remember getting figuratively "smacked down" early on in my time at Rosity, at least one of the very early iterations - might have been "Poser Forum" way back in the Willow and Grey days - when I had the nerve to - gently I might add - suggest a correction to the grammar in someone's comment on a picture. Even the person I was agreeing with became slightly hostile.  Realizing my mistake I apologized, but one of those people and I didn't "speak" for years.

Bad grammar and typos are rampant on the web. I don't think there really is much one can do about it, but I even "hate" myself when I see old posts I made with some of the things I used to get so upset about. Some of my top of the line:  Adn, Tehy, dno't, lkie, wyh, agin, otmistic, ect., ect. (LOL)!

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 7:48 PM

Homophone rage.  :scared:

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

icprncss2 ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 9:03 PM

The only thing funnier than the transcripts of the Watergate Hearings are the transcripts of the Iran-Contra investigation. 

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 9:14 PM

Quote - Ha ha! I remember getting figuratively "smacked down" early on in my time at Rosity, at least one of the very early iterations - might have been "Poser Forum" way back in the Willow and Grey days - when I had the nerve to - gently I might add - suggest a correction to the grammar in someone's comment on a picture. Even the person I was agreeing with became slightly hostile.  Realizing my mistake I apologized, but one of those people and I didn't "speak" for years.

Bad grammar and typos are rampant on the web. I don't think there really is much one can do about it, but I even "hate" myself when I see old posts I made with some of the things I used to get so upset about. Some of my top of the line:  Adn, Tehy, dno't, lkie, wyh, agin, otmistic, ect., ect. (LOL)!

Well, we all can't be awesome typists...lol. I know for certain I'm not ;). I consider it a good day when I type my name correctly :P.

Laurie

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 9:28 PM

Thanks for clearing that up!

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

ElZagna ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 9:50 PM

Ah, yes! The never ending battle between the descriptive and prescriptive grammarians.

For me, I'm not so sure about the co-conspirator thing. There's a certain nuance that it has over conspirator. It implies that Nixon was conspiring with one particular group as opposed to conspiring within his own circle. But I see your point.

It's kind of like the phrase "not insigificant". That's a little different from saying "significant", although the prescriptives among us might claim that it's the same thing.

And yes, I know. I started a sentence with "but" and a paragraph with "and", and I put my punctuation outside the quotes. Anybody who has a problem with that can burn in the fires of hell for all eternity. I'm just sayin'.

Oh, yeah, and a couple of sentence fragments in the beginning. And another just now. And another. Dear God, it never ends!

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 10:01 PM

After several years of creating stories, I've been told over and over that I can't spell, can't punctuate, but I tell good stories...;)

We haven't even touched on layed and laid, etc...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2012 at 10:49 PM

I didn't write it.  It's a copy and paste of a jpg posted elsewhere.  I thought it was funny.

I, of course, never make any errers. 

My Store

My Gallery

R_Hatch ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 1:17 AM

Those our defiantly some of the worst grammar error's on the internet, but I think you left out a few :P

Michael314 ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 1:43 AM

I under stand.

ashley9803 ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 4:15 AM

I think some of this angry grammar is being used right now by those attempting to use the Reality 2 plugin with Daz Studio LOL.

I've been following the thread over at Daz and all I've seen is 65 pages of woefully poor renders, and a shit-load of "issues".

Nothing to do with Reality which is a very fine renderer, but even when Daz users can get it to work with Daz, the result is no better and usually much worse than could be achieved with just Daz/Poser alone. Early days yet I suppose and I hope they can get it to work in the future.

Future - not fucking now.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 6:00 AM · edited Thu, 02 February 2012 at 6:02 AM

LOL...never tried Reality, either 1 or 2. And it's Luxrender that's the fine renderer - not Reality. Reality is just the bridge from DS TO Luxrender. Just throwing that out there ;). It's a pet peeve....lol. Neither Paolo nor Daz makes it clear either that Reality does zilch in the way of rendering, yet I see every damn image of those who used the bridge say "Made with Reality". Grrrrrr.

As for the quality of the renders I guess it's like anything else - it comes down to the skill of the person doing the rendering. Material choices, light placement, scene setup, etc. I have Luxrender images in my own gallery here, though I've never touched Reality and don't use DS. I use Poser with the Pose2Lux script by Snarlygribbly.

Ok, off me soapbox now...lol.

Laurie

ElZagna ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 8:21 AM

I guess we all have our own pet peeves. Mine is the unnecessary use of LOL, and it's always unnecessary.

Here's something I just noticed about the original jpg that Sam posted - the one that rails against people that don't pay attention to what they write. Whoever did it didn't bother to clean up the little green grammar squiggles before they posted it to the entire world fucking wide web. I guess they weren't paying attention.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 9:23 AM · edited Thu, 02 February 2012 at 9:24 AM

Quote - I guess we all have our own pet peeves. Mine is the unnecessary use of LOL, and it's always unnecessary.

Welcome to the internet.

Laurie

cedarwolf ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 9:44 AM

Bob the Angry Flower on Grammar:

http://www.angryflower.com/aposter.html

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 12:33 PM

I tend to ignore typing and other errors on the Internet, especially in forums like this where, for many, English is not their first language.  I would also freely admit I am not good at typing and I only have two languages, English, where I can get by and, Profanity, where I am well practiced but I try not to use.

What concerns me more is that, in the UK at least, after eleven of twelve years in education there are a large number of people have such poor communication skills they cannot express themselves in many instances.  If they have difficulty in communucating face to face what chance do they have trying to put their words into the written form.

I get really angry, not at them, but at a system that has sent them into the world without such a basic ability and I feel their frustration on each occasion when they have something important they want to say but do not have the words to do so.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 1:48 PM

Quote - I think some of this angry grammar is being used right now by those attempting to use the Reality 2 plugin with Daz Studio LOL.

I've been following the thread over at Daz and all I've seen is 65 pages of woefully poor renders, and a shit-load of "issues".

Nothing to do with Reality which is a very fine renderer, but even when Daz users can get it to work with Daz, the result is no better and usually much worse than could be achieved with just Daz/Poser alone. Early days yet I suppose and I hope they can get it to work in the future.

Future - not fucking now.

Just picking a nit but Reality isn't a render engine, it's a bridge to a render engine (Luxrender)

(bugs the crap out of me when peeps say "Rendered in Reality!! :biggrin: )

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 3:16 PM

Quote - Just picking a nit but Reality isn't a render engine, it's a bridge to a render engine (Luxrender)

(bugs the crap out of me when peeps say "Rendered in Reality!! :biggrin: )

see above

I was announcing the very same pet peeve and yet folks didn't like that. I shall now say "lol" and go elsewhere :P.

Laurie

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 3:19 PM

Gah !!

You aren't allowed to post without notifying me m'kay ?? :biggrin:

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 3:21 PM

Quote - Gah !!

You aren't allowed to post without notifying me m'kay ?? :biggrin:

operaguy ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 6:27 PM

There is no such word as "noone."

That is just a small annoyance, however, in light of the gruesome, pervasive and corrosive misuse of the singular form "There's..." with plural objects. It grates on my nerves with its stupidity.

Get it people, "There's" is a contraction for "There is" which can never be mistaken for a plural construction. "There's many reasons why I speak like an idiot and one of them is in this sentence."

People are so lazy. They take advantage of the (dubiously) allowed contraction "There's" but then hearing the 's' sound construct the belief in their brain "Wow that must be plural, it has an 's' at the end!" and slam every sort of plural after it.

"There's tons of people doing it."

::::: Opera :::::

operaguy ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 6:38 PM

Do those hailing from Britain get annoyed hearing Americans using singular modifiers and possessives with entities such as teams and corporations?

"Apple Computer published its annual stockholder report today."

Because is is fairly annoying to turn on the English Premiere League live each weekend and hear the announcers throwing plurals.

"Chelsea have scored the winning goal in extra time!"

That just sounds wrong.

::::: Opera :::::

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 7:33 PM

Not annoyed, OG.  It just seems weird.  In any case I tend to tune out what sports commentators say because most of it is drivel.

I find it odd hearing and reading "Different than", rather than "Different from".  The annoying version, which many people here use, is the nonsensical "Different to".  

I'd love to know how the word "Issues" became a replacement for "Problems", too.

One that really, really gets my goat is "alot" for "a lot".  That, I believe, should be a hanging offence. 

Filler words and phrases such as "Let's face it", "At the end of the day" and the all-pervasive "Like" deserve a punch in the face at the very least.

A really strange piece of linguistic garbage over here is "PIN Number".  Personal Identification Number Number.  There are also people who say "Round circle".  I suppose it's useful to distinguish it from a triangular one.  I've even heard "Reverse back", relating to driving, as if there's an option to reverse forward.

My Store

My Gallery

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 8:38 PM

Well, everyone knows Americans haven't spoken English for decades ;).

Laurie

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 8:58 PM

Quote - Well, everyone knows Americans haven't spoken English for decades ;).

Laurie

I think it was Churchill who said we are two nations divided by a common language.

Things I find weird about US English are the way you pronounce "Vase" because in movies made before 1980 you pronounced it the same as us.  Likewise the name "Colin".  Your version sounds more like "Colon" now.  Another recent change seems to be replacing "a" with "o", so "Pasta" sounds more like "Posta" now.

I'd better stop before someone finds this post offensive. ;) 

My Store

My Gallery

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 9:18 PM · edited Thu, 02 February 2012 at 9:22 PM

I don't find it offensive...lol. You should hear how we all talk here in central PA - especially around Amish country...lol. So Dutchy :P.

"Smear me all over with jelly, a piece of butter bread"

I don't talk quite like that myself but I do tend to say a few select things backward than the way others perhaps would that aren't from the area. The area was thickly settled by Germans back in the day.

Like the UK, the US has it's areas where there is a regional accent and in some cases they're only towns a few miles apart. In the town where I grew up, we all have a bit of a drawl almost. Two towns over, they speak a little different ;).

I was so amused when I saw a skit from a British television show about "Four Candles" or "Fork Handles" depending on how you heard it...lol. It reminds me a lot of how hard it is for Northerners like me to understand some of the very thick southern drawls such as those from West Virginia.

Laurie

*for what it's worth, in my area we say Colin the way you say Colin. We also have quite a few towns where we stole the names from England...lol. I live in York but down the road is Lancaster and we say it the way you do. Californians mash it all up...lol.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 9:39 PM

There's a (most likely fictional) story here about a couple of Australian students going to Loughborough and asking which train to catch.

The place is pronounced Luffboro but they allegedly called it Loogabarrooga.

I very much doubt it's true but it's amusing.

York?  My sister lives there.  The real one, though.  :)  A lovely place and definitely a must see if you ever visit the UK.  Smaller and quieter than London but was once the capital city of England.  It has history in the same way Glasgow has drunks.  :)

Ah, that reminds me...

Noticed how many people can't spell "definitely"?

My Store

My Gallery

R_Hatch ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 1:25 AM

Quote - Filler words and phrases such as ... the all-pervasive "Like"

Like um, this? (to his credit, however, it seems like this was most likely his first TV interview, ever)

Quote - Noticed how many people can't spell "definitely"?

Maybe they really are just defiant. Just picture them doing whatever it is they claim to be able to do, with their chest protruding and chin held high :P

ashley9803 ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 3:17 AM

Manny: Let's paaaaar...

Bernard: Don't you dare use the word "party" as a verb in this shop!

Coleman ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 4:36 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Francis Urquhart says 

"If you must use whores, for God sake go to a decent knocking shop where they understand the meaning of discretion."

A long way to say " No effing around."

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 4:42 AM

"There are also people who say "Round circle".  I suppose it's useful to distinguish it from a triangular one."

well, my Karate Sensi once asked us to form a square circle...

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 12:07 PM

Quote - > Quote - Filler words and phrases such as ... the all-pervasive "Like"

Like um, this? (to his credit, however, it seems like this was most likely his first TV interview, ever)

Quote - Noticed how many people can't spell "definitely"?

Maybe they really are just defiant. Just picture them doing whatever it is they claim to be able to do, with their chest protruding and chin held high :P

I was thinking more of "definately", rather than "defiantly" but I guess your option is a better choice since it's misspelled and transposed.  Takes a lot of effort to do that.  Or not.  :) 

My Store

My Gallery

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 12:08 PM

Quote - "There are also people who say "Round circle".  I suppose it's useful to distinguish it from a triangular one."

well, my Karate Sensi once asked us to form a square circle...

Your Karate Sensi can most likely say what the hell he likes.  I ain't arguing. 

My Store

My Gallery

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 12:37 PM

She actually.....

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 4:48 PM

That had crossed my mind but I went with the Law of Averages.

My Store

My Gallery

KimberlyC ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 4:57 PM

Quote - Well, everyone knows Americans haven't spoken English for decades ;).

Laurie

oh you didn't! :lol:

KimberlyC ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 5:01 PM

Quote - > Quote - Well, everyone knows Americans haven't spoken English for decades ;).

Laurie

I think it was Churchill who said we are two nations divided by a common language.

Things I find weird about US English are the way you pronounce "Vase" because in movies made before 1980 you pronounced it the same as us.  Likewise the name "Colin".  Your version sounds more like "Colon" now.  Another recent change seems to be replacing "a" with "o", so "Pasta" sounds more like "Posta" now.

I'd better stop before someone finds this post offensive. ;) 

I enjoy BBC movies/series so I see the differences.. but I didn't see how things were so different until my English class this semp. We have a recording of a brit actor that is reading Charles Dickens.. I'm like what did he say? lol The professor has to stop the audio once in awhile to explain what was being said. :P

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 5:21 PM

Similar thing happened to me in real life when I visited the US to see my then GF.  She lived in OKC.

Now, over here I'm known for having clear and reasonably precise diction.  Despite having a definite Sheffield accent (think Sean Bean) nobody has trouble understanding me.

Until I went there.  Even the voice activated baggage system (my bags went AWOL from Chicago) couldn't understand me.  Had to pass the phone to my GF.

Phone conversations with some of my Stateside buddies can be an exercise in frustration at times, too.  A good friend who lives in Bayou country understands about one word in 3.

One thing I never got tired of, though; it was easy to make friends with complete strangers as soon as they heard me speak.  Everyone went out of their way to be nice to me.

For the record, my bags and I were reunited the next day.  My GF and I went our separate ways a year or so later.

My Store

My Gallery

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 7:12 PM · edited Fri, 03 February 2012 at 7:15 PM

Americans (females especially) really dig a British accent...lol.

As for me, I've never had any trouble understanding even the thickest British/Irish/Scottish accent. I spent my whole life watching PBS which was almost all British programming :P. We didn't have cable - what can I say ;). I could understand those thicker accents after watching Red Dwarf...lol. I watched a lot of Fawlty Towers, Allo Allo and Are You Being Served too ;).

Laurie

PrecisionXXX ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 8:04 PM

Being from the upper midwest, I understand most people in other parts of the country think we talk too fast.  Or maybe they should see it from our viewpoint, "don't take all day, boy!  Spit it out!"  But we do have our fun with the names of our towns and cities, get someone from out of state and try to figure out which town they're looking for. 

Some people just naturally have problems with real American names.  I don't have any problems with names like Oconomowok, or Manitowok, or even Menomonee Falls.  Isn't every town that way?

(Ducks and runs)

D.

The "I" in Doric is Silent.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.