Tue, Sep 24, 6:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 5:52 pm)

Subject: nVidia vs AMD video cards with Poser?

Seaking406 ( ) posted Mon, 06 February 2012 at 6:38 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 6:24 PM

I spent the last few days trying to research which is the better of the two cards to be used with Poser 2012. I currently have an AMD 6070 2Gigs card and some of the issues that pop up half of the time I'm working with poser leads me to believe there might be driver or the card itself issues. After a render, it can take up to 10-20 seconds before I can resume on the preview screen. This happens more often than not. Yesterday, while spending ten hours working with the prog I had this problem.. but today, the prog is super snappy fast and switches from screen to screen like it should.. but it's usually not like that all the time. Needless to say that lag time between screen switching is starting to get annoying as heck. 

I read somewhere that suggested the OpenGL on nVidia cards is better suited for such progs as poser, PS, video editing and such (which I use a lot of these software, CS4).

I found a nice deal for an MSI GTX 560 Ti 2Gigs card that I thought might fit the bill if such is the case that the nVidia cards were better suited for Poser work.. 

Can someone kindly help shed some light on this subject for this noobe?

Thanks in advance..

FightingWolf ( ) posted Mon, 06 February 2012 at 8:54 PM

I have never had problems with NVidia and Poser but I can't say the same with AMD and Poser Pro 2012 (which I have now).  Poser Pro 2012 and my AMD has OpenGL issues where I have to switch back and forth between the Preview and Render tabs in order to deal with screen freezes where it seems like it's not refreshing.  I don't have this same problem in Poser Pro 2010 with OpenGL nor do I have it in Poser Pro 2012 when I don't use OpenGL.

It's a pain but not so much that I'm going to throw away the software.  The only thing that upsets me is that Poser Pro 2012 was expensive for me to have this type of problems.  All of my heavy graphics work well with the AMD that I have so I just update the graphics driver hoping that one day either Smith Micro or AMD updates will solve my problem.

If I had a choice (money) to buy one then I would get a highend Nvidia card, not so much for Poser, but because I never had any troubles with Nvidia.

Seaking406 ( ) posted Mon, 06 February 2012 at 10:43 PM

Thank you for the feedback.. I just finished a 41 image run with Poser 2012 and for the most part, the software worked relatively well.. it didn't do any of the lagging between the render and preview screen but i did not that if the library window was above the screen while looking for props etc and then I closed it, ONLY what was under the library window shows changes when I move the scene around.. the remain of the scene stays static for about 10-15 secs and then it works ok where the whole scene is now active.. Just a little bit more annoying to add on top of more annoying lol.. gees. That happens about 25% of the time while working on scenes.. 

I also do some gaming where the AMD 6970 2G works well at.. nice and cool and quiet.. but I'm now spending more time with Poser and starting to not like that card, if that card is what is causing all the problems..

Cheers

FightingWolf ( ) posted Mon, 06 February 2012 at 11:00 PM

Sounds like you have the same problem I have. The only solution that works for me is to use SreeD instead of the OpenGL.  When I use SreeD it works with perfectly and I don't get any of the problems I get with OpenGL.

Seaking406 ( ) posted Mon, 06 February 2012 at 11:06 PM

You'll have to explain to me what "Sreed" is and where I can locate it to make the fix?

Are there any limitations or slow downs using Sreed vice OpenGL?

I'm hazarding a quess its in the preferences or settings somewhere?

MANY thanks!!  =)

Seaking406 ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2012 at 1:33 AM

Alrighty then, I found the SreeD vice OpenGL setting in the preview menu under "Render Settings" and though it's somewhat better, there is a 3 second lag between render and going back to the preview screen.. 

But unfortunately, for me that won't work as the preview of the models is horrible.. my gosh! They look like shiny bronze statues with lots of over-exposed looking surfaces that doesn't give you enough of a hint of what your rendered lighting will look like..  By the time I go do a fast render to check out the lighting, make adjustments, try it again and then go do the final render, I spent more time than waiting for the glitched render to preview screen nuissance.. ergh.. Close, but not not close enough for me as a work around the issues plaguing my set up.. 

I like the real time preview scene as I'm setting things up, I can get a real good look at what everything will look like when I do a high quality ray traced render.. I have a high PC system but I think it's the vid card that's causing the problem.. argh..

Thanks again though for the insight to SreeD option.. 

Cheers

vitachick ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2012 at 3:48 AM

I;m using NVida GeForce GTS450, latest card at the time I upgraded my PC. Great

for gaming and Poser.

Win10  Poser 2014/Poser 11 Daz3D

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2012 at 7:29 AM

Quote - I spent the last few days trying to research which is the better of the two cards to be used with Poser 2012. I currently have an AMD 6070 2Gigs card and some of the issues that pop up half of the time I'm working with poser leads me to believe there might be driver or the card itself issues. After a render, it can take up to 10-20 seconds before I can resume on the preview screen...

Did you install SR1?  This is one of the issues it fixed.  I have a 5570 and it solved it for me...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Seaking406 ( ) posted Tue, 07 February 2012 at 8:25 AM

Yes, I installed SR1 one immidiately after installing Poser 2012 and then re-installed it just recently as part of trouble shooting but it had little effect.. While yesterday the system worked rather well, late last night it went back to dog mess and made it less productive..

The search continues..

Seaking406 ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2012 at 11:08 AM

Well I'm happy to report that after 4 full days or working with poser 2012 (i7 940, 12G mem and AMD 4950 2G) that the delays between the render and preview screens seem to have been resolved.. (knock on wood).. 

I think the trick behind it is to load poser first before anything else (browsers, PS, Dreamweaver etc) and everything seems to be fine..  With hardware shaders enabled, I am able to go from the rendered screen back to the preview screen and resume posing without any delays what so ever.. now THAT's what I was looking for.. nice! Able to pose to pose the models and see right away before rendering what the lighting is going to look like on their bodies and allows me to make adjustments before sending it to render.. 

Even if I only plan to use Poser later in the day (I boot up every morning), I minimize the poser screen and do my other work, then later I max the poser environment and everything works fine.. with the system I have, having poser sitting in the background doesn't affect any of the other work I'm doing (except beckoning me to do some more poser work ;)

I still get the occassional picture in picture glitch when going back to preview screen and that can take 10 seconds to clear but if I keep a full screen browser window or image view window minimized, all I have to do is maximize it to cover the poser screen and then minimize it again, it clears the issue right away..  not the fanciest fix but it works with just two clicks... 

If you have that delay glitch, give this a try and see if it works for you as well.. hopefully it does..

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.