Thu, Sep 19, 5:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:23 pm)

Subject: Vampires in My Runtime

shorterbus ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2012 at 11:27 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 5:28 PM

I'm trying to do a reflection of V4 in a mirror, but nothing shows up in the render - no reflection is cast. P-2012, raytracing checked, reflective material in the mirror, firefly render, IDL and a single specular light. What gives?

shorterbus ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2012 at 1:00 PM

I'm checking my breath and sniffing my armpits.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2012 at 1:03 PM · edited Thu, 01 March 2012 at 1:03 PM

file_479047.jpg

Try this for your mirror material. And make sure you have some raytrace bounces in your render settings ;).

That material was posted by BB awhile back.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2012 at 1:22 PM

How many bounces? Do you have transparency? It is 4 for reflection through transparency.

Quote - I'm trying to do a reflection of V4 in a mirror, but nothing shows up in the render - no reflection is cast. P-2012, raytracing checked, reflective material in the mirror, firefly render, IDL and a single specular light. What gives?

shorterbus ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2012 at 1:28 PM

Thanks Laurie, I'm giving it a try now.

shorterbus ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2012 at 1:30 PM

Eric, I'm trying Lauie's settings, so no transparency. I've got it set for 8 bounces. (?)

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2012 at 2:06 PM
Online Now!

Visible in raytracing?

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2012 at 3:01 PM

8 bounces is too many. 2 should be sufficient since the glass is a mirror and not transparent ;).

Laurie

shorterbus ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2012 at 3:29 PM

Okay, I thinkI have it figured out. The angle of the mirror - though right in front of the character I was trying to reflect, was wrong. Had to turn the mirror to a much less than obvious angle. At least it is working in test renders.

aRtBee ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2012 at 3:15 PM

is this just an angle-of-incidence = angle-of-reflection thing? Then the normal of the mirror should point to something in the middle of Vicky and the camera. Just try it at home, with a real girl and a real mirror. It's basic optics / geometry.

As the material is concerned, I don't know why one should have reflection = 1  AND Specular = 2 as all channels together should not exceed 1 in the first place. I would say: reflection = 0.95 + specular = 0.05 and the reflection color might be a bit cyanic dus to the glass (again, try this at home; put a colored object in front of a mirror and compare the colors).

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

SteveJax ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2012 at 3:40 PM

file_479113.jpg

Depending on how many "Mirrors" you use your bounces should be set to between 2 and 5. A Room with four walls of mirrors would be 5 bounces. Two walls is 3 bounces. etcetra... this way they reflect not just the scene but also each other.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2012 at 3:47 PM

WAIT! Are you saying that Vicky is not real??

Interesting details- does the glass absorb some of the red? I'd not noticed that.

Quote - i Just try it at home, with a real girl and a real mirror. It's basic optics / geometry.

As the material is concerned, I don't know why one should have reflection = 1  AND Specular = 2 as all channels together should not exceed 1 in the first place. I would say: reflection = 0.95 + specular = 0.05 and the reflection color might be a bit cyanic dus to the glass (again, try this at home; put a colored object in front of a mirror and compare the colors).

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.