Thu, Sep 19, 4:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:23 pm)

Subject: Aarrrgh.....2D texture help needed!

Paul Francis ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 6:37 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 11:01 AM

Folks, my mind has gone into meltdown.  I am trying to create a primitive cube which has a 2D texture applied to one face only, but I'm stumped.  Poser (2012) wraps the texture around the whole cube every time I try.  What am I doing wrong?  Has anyone got a quick setup that works?

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

vitachick ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 6:42 AM

No pro but maybe because its a cube and not a plane?

Win10  Poser 2014/Poser 11 Daz3D

Paul Francis ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 6:47 AM

I tried a plane, but it keeps giving me artefacts that I don't want....!

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 7:01 AM

pop the cube into UVmapper, slap a Cubic Map on it, save it out as an OBJ and save the texture template. Import the new Cube, paint the map and apply to the new Cube. (the quick and dirty explanation)

MacMyers ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 7:03 AM

Where did the cube come from? Is it an editable .obj file? Use UV Mapper with a box map and put the image on one side?

Open the model in a 3D app and set up shading zones and flat map to one of those?

I'm not good inside Poser.

“So, roll me further B_t__h!”

Paul Francis ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 7:07 AM

The cube is from the Primitive set in Poser.  I like the idea of UV mapper, so am going to give that a try, but I really wanted to do it all in Poser, so I can change the image map easily to create a range of objects.  The square plane idea works, but gives artefacts in reflections and under glass.

MacMyers ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 7:14 AM

Once it's mapped you can swap the image on the side of the cube at will in Poser.

Paul Francis ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 7:16 AM

Quote - Once it's mapped you can swap the image on the side of the cube at will in Poser.

Sounds just what I'm looking for!  I'll give it a try asap!

MacMyers ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 7:23 AM

Yeah... swap the map in the material room. If you make small changes to the map then go to "Render"  - "Reload Texture".

BionicRooster ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 9:16 AM
Forum Moderator

Poser Primitives are already mapped. So if you want a texture on just one side, what you do is:

Load cube, then open up Group Editor.

Use the select tool to select the side you want to texture, click on the Add Material button in the Group Editor, and name your new material group.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 9:58 AM
Online Now!

I'm with Bionic on that approach.  It can all be done within Poser.

Paul Francis ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 11:49 AM · edited Wed, 21 March 2012 at 11:51 AM

Quote - Poser Primitives are already mapped. So if you want a texture on just one side, what you do is:

Load cube, then open up Group Editor.

Use the select tool to select the side you want to texture, click on the Add Material button in the Group Editor, and name your new material group.

That's the one!  The only problem I've got now is scaling.  The face of the cube only shows a quarter of the image map.  If I make the U and V scales smaller, the map just repeats across the face.  I'm stuck on how to scale it to fit the face...!

BionicRooster ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 11:52 AM
Forum Moderator

That's easy, in the Advanced Materials, on the Image Map node, you can change the X and Y scale, and the coordinates, if you need to adjust placement.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Paul Francis ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 11:59 AM

Brilliant!  I think I've got it sorted now, thanks very much to all!

BionicRooster ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 12:14 PM
Forum Moderator

Glad ya got it sorted :o)

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Paul Francis ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 12:28 PM

file_479738.jpg

Here's a test render of the effect I needed it for.  The glass sheet within the frame has a glowing design within it.  Except I've had to cheat - there's two sheets, one just plain glass, one with the design on it....

aRtBee ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 12:33 PM

file_479739.jpg

I did not do anything special to the object, just used the materials room (tiling off, U/V scale 25%, U/V-offset for locating it on the right side)

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

aRtBee ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 12:34 PM

file_479740.jpg

to get my result

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

Paul Francis ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 4:27 PM

Quote - to get my result

Exactly what I wanted, thanks very much!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.