Mon, Sep 23, 9:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 6:56 am)

Subject: How can i solve this

Sheedee ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2012 at 10:00 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 9:25 AM

Attached Link: http://imageshack.us/g/845/ooogrd.jpg/

Hello folks;

This is terribly frustrating and its driving me insane!...i am having serious memory issues with Poser Pro 2012 and i constantly have to be saving my work like every other minute to avoid loosing everything. Is there a way to solve this?...some expert advice please.

Thanks for viewing.

Computer specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium

i7 CPU 2.93 GHz

4GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5450

32-bit Operating System

Poser Pro 2012( 32-bit)

Please viit the attached link  to view my screens, thanks in advance and have a nice day.

TheAnimaGemini ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2012 at 10:18 AM

Clean your Poser cache, close Poser , reboot and launch again.

In your general prefernece settings

under misc

Uncheck "check for updates" and use external binary morph targets.

under Document

max undo 100 is to high. Set it to 10-20 .

La vie est éternelle. L'amour est immortel.

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
― Marcus Aurelius,

TheAnimaGemini ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2012 at 10:20 AM

Sorry I was to fast.

There is not so much you can do more. On the 32 machine Poser has memory issues.

But not only Poser. You have to think about there is only 3 GB memory which is not so much when you have in the bg Firewall etc running too.

La vie est éternelle. L'amour est immortel.

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
― Marcus Aurelius,

aRtBee ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2012 at 10:52 AM

Just check http://www.book.artbeeweb.nl/?p=110 on my Missing Manuals website, and read on to handle memory issues of 32-bit software in a 32-bit Windows environment (Running out of Memory / breaking the 2Gb barrier series). or just skip to article #4, to adjust your Windows immediately.

The "Poser- the program" series might be of help too, as it comes down to Ram and Cpu usage.

All the best.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2012 at 4:36 PM

I happen to have a similar problem running PP2010 on a i7-950 6GB 64bit

The computer sometimes shuts down while rendering.

And I don't break the 2GB barrier (max 1.2)

Any idea, please? 

FrankT ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2012 at 5:44 PM
Online Now!

shutdown while rendering sounds more like an overheating problem.  Try checking the CPU/GPU temperatures and clean the fans/airvents

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2012 at 6:19 PM

Hum I thought so too as it often happenned with my previous laptop (a HP...).

The one I have now is only a few months old. I'll check but it shouldn't be that dirty.

Sometimes the vents go on screaming and it renders fine, at other times they don't even have time to start before it shuts off. Weird, innit?

aRtBee ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2012 at 1:48 AM

generally, random Poser shutdowns indicate Videocard / driver issues but mostly these happen at design time (because of OpenGL). To be solved by driver updates, or switching the SreeD preview mode.

Shutdown on rendering indicate memory issues, as the 3d meshes get split into smaller and smaller parts. So do watch the memory usage in Task Manager. Although a 64-bit PPro2010 on 64-bit Windows should not have any problem in this area, one never knows.

Thing to check:

- do you have Virtual Memory / Page File enabled and can it expand (fast enough)
(sounds weird, but some 64-bit system users switch it off, they think they don't need any. Then the app cannot generate it fast enough to keep up with internal resource requests, and... bang).

- do you have very crowded / detailed scenes

- do you have displacement (generates a load of extra geometry while rendering, you will be surprised)

- do you render "as a separate process" (General preferences render tab). Someties the magic wand for anything

- do you use large textures? Although these usually choke your video-ram in design time.  

No real clues though, guessing a bit, just thinking out loud.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2012 at 1:38 PM

Thanks for the answer. Interesting, although I dont really understand everything you said.

Task manager:

Performance page: CPU at 100% Memory up to 4.6Gb

Processes page: PP.exe at 1.3, render64.exe at 1.8

I'm afraid I don't know what VIRTUAL MEMORY/PAGE FILE is, I have to find out. Help, please?

I have rendered extremely busy scenes with up to 8 V4's with hair, clothes, etc without any problem while shutdown has happened when rendering 1 V4 & 1 M4.

It seems to happen randomly with no logic.

Shutdowns occur with or without displacement maps checked.

I do indeed use separate process since I read your guide ;-) No change :-(

aRtBee ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2012 at 2:33 PM
  1. virtual memory:

go Computer, right-click for Properties, in the top-left section of the window (under Configuration) take the lowest (Advanced System-something. Don;t know what it's called on your system as my user interface is in Dutch).
Then: tab Advanced in system properties, first button (in performance section). tab Advanced again, the lowest section is about Virtual memory. Then at least on one disk you should have a swap file, with a minimum larger than 0 (see at the bottom) and a max of 150 - 200% of your ram size (8Gb in your case).

1. to me, things look as follows:

one loaded V4/M4 takes 250Mb ram at design, and 500-1000 at rendering. So a FFRender64 at 1.8Gb (quite close to its 2Gb limit in 32-bit windows) does not come as a surprise. Rendering 8 V4's does, however. So please consult my tutorial part 4 on raising your Windows limit to 3Gb.

and: do you use IDL now? have you changed the bucket size (Render Settings / manual)?

I'm still under the impression that it's a memory problem. So it helps too monitor FFrender in the process tab and see when it crashes. 2Gb still is your magic number. The other magic numbers are on the performance tab. At some moment your apps are requesting a peak in resources which cannot be delivered, is my current understanding.

see ya.

- - - - - 

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2012 at 3:14 PM · edited Sun, 06 May 2012 at 3:16 PM

@Sheedee

Are you talking about the BLACK figures?

1. Try clicking "Reload textures" under the render nenu.
    Does that not solve your problem?
    No? => Second

2. Second; Open the CR2 and check where your textures are searched for inside the cr2. Are your textures effectively there??? Or is the path in the cr2 wrong?
    Put your textures in the rigth place or change the path in the cr2 to point to the textures. NoGo? => Third

3. Third: The textures are in the right place for the cr2.
    Are they found? => Check what textures are found and loaded.
    If they are found and loaded it can be a openGl preview issue.
    Go to render settings => Preview tab, and select SreeD.

Do your textures show now??

Remark; You have an ATI card. What drivers are installed?
Current driver should be CCC 12.4

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2012 at 3:20 PM

For the system health, I highly recomend using Advanced System Care free from Iobit.
Run the Deepclean option, and let it do its thing.
Also, shut down background processes....

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2012 at 12:29 AM

1) virtual memory:

Thanks, I'll try that and let you know if it makes a difference. It'll take some time though as crashes only occur from time to time.

2) to me, things look as follows:

one loaded V4/M4 takes 250Mb ram at design, and 500-1000 at rendering. So a FFRender64 at 1.8Gb (quite close to its 2Gb limit in 32-bit windows) does not come as a surprise. Rendering 8 V4's does, however. So please consult my tutorial part 4 on raising your Windows limit to 3Gb.

As I mentionned, I run PP2010 64 bit

and: do you use IDL now?

Sometimes. Not sure but I believe crashes happen more often With IDL on.

have you changed the bucket size (Render Settings / manual)?

Yes. I previously had a problem with bucket size at 64 (mosaïc renders with white squares). I now set it at 8 or 16: problem solved.

And it's nice to see the render progress more often.

I'm still under the impression that it's a memory problem. So it helps too monitor FFrender in the process tab and see when it crashes. 2Gb still is your magic number. The other magic numbers are on the performance tab. At some moment your apps are requesting a peak in resources which cannot be delivered, is my current understanding.

This is my feeling also, but it's only a wild guess, i don't have the technical background needed to understand what's happening.

see ya.

Thanks and take good care.

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2012 at 12:43 AM · edited Mon, 07 May 2012 at 12:44 AM

For virtual memory, should I let the system manage the size as it was?

If I set a custom size, max to 200% of the RAM? What initial size?

Sorry I bother you :-(

aRtBee ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2012 at 1:44 AM

#JimmyJohn

1. virtual memory: system defaults to 16M minimum and 150% of your Ram size as maximum. The first setting guarantees than the pagefile exists and does not have to be created at the moment you run out of ram (this handling / waiting time can make apps fall over). The second ensures that there is enough pagefile available when going into sleeping mode / hybernation (all ram is dumped into the pagefile then).

But... in some cases 150% is not enough,
And... if your disk is too fragmented, there might be a problem growing the file, as the pagefile should be an unfragmented one. So: regularly defragmenting might be of help. Although maybe Win7 might have tackled that, not sure.

1. yeah, I realized later that I was messing up the specs of Sheedee and yours. Sorry for that, 64-bit should rock with 8Gb ram.

Note that the renderer is multi-threaded, and each thread takes a bucket at a time, and considers all geometry within that part of the scene. This is why larger buckets take more memory per thread to render. And since all buckets have a bit of an overlap, this might reduce the overall overhead and gives you a (up to 5%) speed increase. So when smaller buckets reduce the problem, there is certainly some memory issue going on.

But since Poser on 64-bit should ot present any software problem, I begin to wonder whether there might be a hardware / driver issue. With the CPU, the Ram modules, the motherboard or the combi.

So perhaps a hardware techy or a windows techy could have a look. Have a clever nephew in the family? You might need hardware tests and Windows error logs. This goes beyond what I can do in a Poser forum. Sorry.

- - - - - 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.