Thu, Oct 10, 2:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 12:13 pm)

Subject: Is it possible to make see through characters?

Fracture ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2001 at 2:11 PM · edited Thu, 10 October 2024 at 2:23 AM

Is it possible somehow to make characters in Poser that are completely see-through? Well Maby not completely but like translucent or something? Like a ghost? If there is would it warp the background at all (or could it if I wanted it to?)

igohigh ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2001 at 2:29 PM

Gooood question! I have been trying to make a 'ghostly' like figure for the last few days and now quite getting the effect I think you nor I are looking for. Making the figure Transparent gives more of a "glass-like" effect rather than a "ghost-like" effect. When I think of a 'ghost' I think of the librarian from Ghostbusters. Perhaps maybe making a custome 'full-body' transparancy and then playing with settings/lighting?? I was going to try the other day but other issues got in my way. I will be trying agian in a couple days, let you know what I find out. Anyone else try for this effect??

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2001 at 2:33 PM

Hi Fracture!- Sure, just turn the transparency dial, or use a transparency map if you want to vary the effect. No way to warp anything behind it though, but if you save the Poser render as a TIF or Photoshop file you will get a alpha channel that would aid in doing this in Photoshop or other post-production program.

rodpanther ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2001 at 2:36 PM

Theres a post a few days ago check it out. I replyed to it with the settings :)

rodpanther ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2001 at 2:38 PM

http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=388472

Cybermonk ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2001 at 7:39 PM

To get get rid of the glass look you mite select black as your high light color. That would get rid of any shine on the object.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination".

Albert Einstein

Jackson ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2001 at 9:29 PM

If you're using a paint program like Photoshop, it'd be easier to render it solid and put it on a separate layer. Then just adjust the opacity of the layer to taste. Even better, with a black-to-white gradient on a layer mask, you can make different parts of the model appear in varying degrees of visibleness. (???) I mean from totally invisible to totally solid and anything in between. Did that make sense? I'll try to post an example.

Jackson ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2001 at 9:57 PM

file_206645.jpg

Here ya go. The "ghost" on the left is a Photoshop layer set to 50% opacity. The one on the right is a separate layer set to 100% opacity but with a black-to-white gradient applied from bottom to top. I then painted over the mask where her face is with the paint brush. Don't know why I did that. Oh, now I remember...it was to show you have a lot more control over transparancy when you use a layer mask.

Jackson ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2001 at 10:02 PM

I forgot...the hair is Morph Hair 2 by Confusius. (Thanks!)

ShadowWind ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2001 at 10:10 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=79407&Start=1&Artist=ShadowWind&ByArtist=Yes

You can do this in Bryce via my Pepper's Ghost technique. I'm having trouble putting together a host for the tutorial at the moment, but if you email me or IM me with your email address, I will be glad to send the tutorial to anyone who needs it. PS: There is no setting that I could find that gets rid of the "X-Ray" transparency effect in Poser or Bryce. Because Poser does not have an external mesh only option, the internal meshes reflect when made transparent. For Poser only, unless you can find a standard glass material, Photoshop is probably your only hope as Jackson said. Included is the URL to the picture that demonstrates the Pepper's Ghost/Glass technique in Bryce

Wizzard ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2001 at 12:11 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=70018

the render "The Bevy" was done completely in Poser, no poste work. the Invisible woman was done by adjusting the transparency settings in the material's editor. you just have to remember to hit weach part... as you can see.. I kinda missed on the eyes 8 ) CHeers

Scarab ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2001 at 11:47 AM

Another trick would be to take your semitransparent figure into your paint program and apply a slight motion blur to the layer containing it. Scarab

Crescent ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2001 at 12:34 PM

If you have a complete tutorial, I can host it. I've hosted a few files for other people. I do give full credit to the creator. The most recent one I've hosted is for Sama1. You can check it out at http://www.fallencity.net/lore/index.php in the Poser tutorial area. I'd reserve the right to do minor formatting changes, such as fix spelling and grammar and change image sizes for bandwidth, etc., but all rights will still belong to you and credit will be prominently displayed. Let me know if you're interested.

ShadowWind ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2001 at 6:01 PM

I appreciate the offer Crescent, but Chrome Tiger said he would host it for me at his site, Nexus. Thanks though...

shadownet ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2001 at 9:25 PM

file_206647.jpg

Excerpt of my "Angeline" in the Gallery. This was done in Poser (no post needed) using the transparancy dials and a combination of texture, reflection, and transparancy maps and hiding unneeded body parts. It helps to set the ambience to white or near white (just have to play with it a bit). Also, I found it helped to tone down the setting for the texture for the figure (with material color set to white) and import a gray texture for a transparancy map with the transparency set to 100% for the skin, otherwise the figure looks like a bubble. Remember to max out the tran for the eyes, lips, teeth, etc., unless you want bulging eyes and ghoulish grins. :o) Hope this helps. The big thing is that it can be done in Poser, and fairly easy once you get an feel for how the different maps and dial settings affect each other when you combine them.

Scarab ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2001 at 11:48 PM

Oh, that's nice.... Scarab<-but then,....I'm easily impressed by true genius...

ShadowWind ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2001 at 1:51 PM

This is indeed interesting and does solve some of the inherent Poser problems shadownet, though using it in a multi-character scene may be a bit cumbersome since transmaps would have to be made for various parts and clothes that don't fit over the entire body part to offset the glass effect. The obvious advantage though is once that map is made you can put the character anywhere you like in the scene without worrying about it too much... Eyes could be transmapped probably as well to get rid of the eyeball part of the eye and only keep the front that the camera sees. Also depending on the transparency level, the head would also have to be hidden since it also reflects the scalp through the hair at certain degrees of transparency. Thanks for sharing shadownet. It's a pretty good solution for one or two character scenes. For larger more populated scenes or scenes that don't lend themselves well to transparency, I'd still probably recommend the Pepper's in Bryce or the post in Photoshop just because of the complexity of the maps.

igohigh ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2001 at 5:51 PM

That's very impressive Shadownet! I tried the hidding of body parts on mine too but that method does limit the possablities of clothes, angles, and more (didn't look right for what I was doing sadly) ShadowWind has a good one, but back to transporting files - but looks like fun!

ShadowWind ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2001 at 1:41 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=84198&Start=121&Sectionid=0&WhatsNew=Yes

I posted another example of Pepper's Ghost if anyone wants another, more complete example...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.