Tue, Oct 22, 9:54 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 9:37 am)

Subject: Creating materials for poser pro 2010 'primitives'

timarender ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2012 at 11:49 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 9:51 AM

I have limited modelling experience, but have collected various free/shareware apps which may help - (if only I understood things better).

Is there a collection of graghics templates for use with the Poser Pro primitive props; to use when creating my own materials?
For example, I assumed it would be easy to create a graphic for a 'dice'; and then apply it to a simple Box.

Forgive my ignorance, what is this process called; that of creating an exploded graphic which is intended to fit a particular prop? At least I will know where to start looking.

Thank you.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2012 at 12:16 PM

We can go from UVMapping to procedural shaders for creating material nodes.

charlie43 ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2012 at 12:20 PM

The process is called texture mapping. It is often done in coordination with UV mapping, which is performed in a 3-D modeling app. I have been working on this all year. I find that Blender 2.63 is my best choice for a modeling app. It is free, strongly supported by the community, and is upgraded often. It has a large learning curve, but there are many tutorials and lessons that can be found online. I use CGCookie.com to learn about Blender. They have many free tutorials, and also a paid subscription which allows you access to much more. It is well worth the $10 subscription fee. 

HTH

C~

lesbentley ( ) posted Fri, 06 July 2012 at 7:15 AM · edited Fri, 06 July 2012 at 7:20 AM

file_483432.jpg

The templates are usually called "UV templates" or "texture templates". You can use the free "[UVMapper Classic](http://www.uvmapper.com/downloads.html)" to generate a texture template from any obj file. Start UVmapper, use File > Load Model to load the object, then use File > Save Texture Map.

Tucan-Tiki ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2012 at 10:58 AM

file_483475.jpg

this is how i create ice maybe helful?

Tucan-Tiki ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2012 at 11:02 AM

file_483476.jpg

this is the recipe

Tucan-Tiki ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2012 at 11:04 AM

this is what you need.

Tucan-Tiki ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2012 at 11:05 AM

file_483478.jpg

this is what you need.

Tucan-Tiki ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2012 at 11:06 AM

file_483479.jpg

heres the texture enjoy

Tucan-Tiki ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2012 at 11:09 AM

the figure on the right has the same material but the rendering engine is not set to maximum just create new scene and dont change any of the settings if you want the material to appear as the figure on the right. but set to max for the figure on the left then ther bump mapping takes over and that is what you get.

Tucan-Tiki ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2012 at 11:19 AM

file_483481.jpg

value for black node

Tucan-Tiki ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2012 at 11:20 AM

file_483482.jpg

value for black node sorry the other was for ice node

Tucan-Tiki ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2012 at 11:39 AM

file_483484.jpg

The Ice was accidental and not at all what I was trying to get, I was trying to do an Emma Frost character and make her look all crystaline and cool but I got ice instead, and the results for Emma were less then what I hoped for.

But it was not at all a loss because I walked away with an awesome ice material.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2012 at 1:09 PM

He said DICE not ICE

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2012 at 2:15 PM

file_483495.jpg

Tried my hand at it. Came out different.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

moriador ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2012 at 3:08 PM · edited Sat, 07 July 2012 at 3:10 PM

Quote - Tried my hand at it. Came out different.

Wow. That's excellent.  I can't say I've felt a desire to lick Andy before, but it's warm here, and he looks like he'd give some serious heat relief with just a handshake.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

DreamlandModels ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2012 at 3:18 PM

That is just plain sick :-)

Latexluv ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2012 at 4:19 PM

Wow, that really does look like Ice!

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

DreamlandModels ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2012 at 4:52 PM · edited Sat, 07 July 2012 at 4:53 PM

Hi Latexluv,

There is one thing I have learned from working with bagginsbill, and that is,

there seems to be no material that he can't build.

The guy is a stinkin' genius!

Makes me sick!

:-)

Tom

Latexluv ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2012 at 5:02 PM

Yes, I know. I've been following just about any thread that he's posted in for years, collecting little pearls of material wisdom and shaders. I'm sure though that I don't have all of the materials he's freely published. That's why I was very intrigued by this Cloud idea he talked about over at RuntimeDNA. Drives me nutters when he says he doesn't save a lot of the materials he tinkers with!

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

timarender ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2012 at 3:38 AM

My thanks to all replies regarding UVMapping. I was hoping there would be existing templates for the default Poser primitives props; to save converting the props to OBJ. However, thanks to your responses; I now know where to start learning.

(I am sorry my 'dice' got confused with 'ice'. This has led to yet another difficult to follow  thread in this Forum.)

FaeMoon ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2012 at 11:00 PM

Can you share the node set up for this?  That's downright scary good!

Kalypso ( ) posted Wed, 12 December 2012 at 3:43 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

Is this ice shader available anywhere BB?

primorge ( ) posted Wed, 12 December 2012 at 4:33 AM

Could also be epoxy resin with air bubbles in it just as easily.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Wed, 12 December 2012 at 6:32 AM

The iceman cometh!

I expected him to be a little less see-through (ie artic snow/ice), but that looks right for the normal every-day ice.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

primorge ( ) posted Wed, 12 December 2012 at 11:18 AM

...well, when one thinks of ice they probably wouldn't think 'escalator'. On the other hand, plastic might come to mind if one thinks "mall". Great shader, not such a great choice for support of an artistic illusion. My blasphemous 2 cents.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Wed, 12 December 2012 at 12:20 PM

It does show off what the material can do with the lights behind it. 

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

mysticeagle ( ) posted Wed, 12 December 2012 at 12:30 PM

i've turned out the lights to view BB's ice andy, i was afraid he would melt...........

OS: Windows7 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)  6GB Ram
Poser: Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1 ...Poser 8.........Poser5 on a bad day........
Daz Studio Pro 4.5  64bit

Carrara beta 8.5

Modelling: Silo/Hexagon/Groboto V3
Image Editing: PSP V9/Irfanview
Movie Editing. Cyberlink power director/Windows live movie maker

"I live in an unfinished , poorly lit box, but we call it home"

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.