Thu, Sep 19, 11:11 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: SR3 is ready...

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 16 August 2012 at 10:36 AM

Yup, I don't know that either... anyone know this?

Photoshop CS5 Ext will respect the layouts (if you don't run the refactor on them) and still allow 3d painting... as far as I understand it?

chris1972 ( ) posted Thu, 16 August 2012 at 10:43 AM

Ive never owned a Mac, but I thought they could be run in windows mode, I thought I had read or heard about that

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 16 August 2012 at 10:56 AM

Quote - Ive never owned a Mac, but I thought they could be run in windows mode, I thought I had read or heard about that

Yes, that's very true, running in an emulator (e.g. WINE) or a hypervisor (Parallels) is always a  possibility, I expect... maybe I should look into that some more for the sake of running more UV apps...

Cheers 😄

samcclung65 ( ) posted Thu, 16 August 2012 at 11:13 AM

I just installed SR3 and did a quick FBM for M4 with GoZ.  So easy, so fun!  I think I'm going to like this!!

Thanks or this wonderful update!

Scott

AmbientShade ( ) posted Thu, 16 August 2012 at 5:09 PM

Quote - Ah, just saw in the other thread... looks good.

Unfortunately its another UV mapper / unwrapper that's off limits to me on the mac.

I've now got UV Master with ZBrush though... so I'm hoping that will be mostly all I'll need??

EDIT: Oh yeah... and have access to Photoshop CS5 Extended too, for that matter... 😄

I discovered myself that UV master is not sufficient for mapping a full figure. You don't have much control over it and symmetry doesn't really happen. Not tested in 4r4 yet tho, but 4r3 was impossible. It kept wanting to split Lucas' face and torso down the front even when i painted all those areas as off limits. So I wound up using blender's UV mapping. It's not the friendliest either but does a decent job.

~Shane

Teyon ( ) posted Thu, 16 August 2012 at 7:41 PM

I'm a huge fan of UVLayout. Excellent tool. I also use Silo's UV tools and I'm forcing myself to learn modo's UV tools (forcing because I've owned 4 versions and only use it for morphs).

Thalek ( ) posted Thu, 16 August 2012 at 11:59 PM

Quote - So happy you all like the improvements.
There are barrels of them.
:-)
And do not forget to thank Dee for the manual.....completely updated.....right up to the last minute. :-)

New, updated manual?  Thankyouthankyouthankyou, Dee!

hmatienzo ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 1:07 AM

I installed SR3, and now my Preview window stays solid black for some reason.  I never had problems with OpenGL and Poser before this, and I don't really like ScreeD.  Does anybody else have this problem, and what can be done?

L'ultima fòrza è nella morte.

ghosty12 ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 1:48 AM

Quote - I installed SR3, and now my Preview window stays solid black for some reason.  I never had problems with OpenGL and Poser before this, and I don't really like ScreeD.  Does anybody else have this problem, and what can be done?

I have the odd hiccup now and then but nothing on that scale, not sure what would be doing it. I gather you turned off hardware shading that might help I know I do as when I have to move camera's around for posing having it on slows down things a bit.

If not that then not sure maybe could be video card drivers, or you could try to reset to factory settings to see if that helps. If not then not sure what you can do.

You know you enjoy 3D Art when you realize that your life is a piece of 3D Art. :)

Core I7 8700K, 32GB, RTX 3060 12G, Windows 10 64bit, Poser 9 / Pro 2012 / Pro 2014, Daz Studio 4.20 Pro

Paloth ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 2:56 AM

I discovered myself that UV master is not sufficient for mapping a full figure. You don't have much control over it and symmetry doesn't really happen.*

A figure needs to be in the low to mid range of poly count for UV master to work symmetrically. It also helps to have another program to arrange the UV elements 

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

3anson ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 8:46 AM

bummer!  rendertimes using SSS with fresnel have increased dramatically with SR3!! at this rate it looks like i will be going back to SR2.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 10:44 AM

Quote - bummer!  rendertimes using SSS with fresnel have increased dramatically with SR3!! at this rate it looks like i will be going back to SR2.

is it SSS checked only?  is IDL or GC on, too?

Thanks.  :)   i was going to install SR3 tonight, but, i use fresnel frequently.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

vilters ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 10:52 AM

Did you remove the check in IC?

There is a new checkbox in the render settings.
Leave it checked for normal renders.
If you have artifacts, then remove the check, but render times increase.
Show you render settings please.
For normal renders, I have not seen slow dows.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 11:09 AM

Yeah, doesn't seem slower for me either. About the same :).

Laurie

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 11:56 AM

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 11:58 AM

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

toastie ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 12:48 PM

Looks like problems with SR3 render times here too. Need to do some testing...

wimvdb ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 12:59 PM

I can't find any significant differences in rendertime while using large scenes. I just did one which took over an hour. One with SR2.1, one with SR3. Scene used SSS, Fresnel,  IDL and lots of transparency layers.

If there is a difference it must be some specific combination of features

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 1:11 PM

My folks, if you think the render times are bad, then wait until you use Luxrender. LOL Then the wailing and gnashing of teeth :P

Laurie

3anson ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 1:36 PM

been there, done that. for my purposes its a waste of space. Lux is perfect for architectural visualisation, but sucks at organics( even if you spend an inordinate time tweaking surfaces)

and yes, IC was unchecked, because i always had it set to 0 anyway.

so, for my normal rendering (ie no IC) SR3 IS slower to render a given scene.

i rolled back to SR2, rendered the scene ( with no changes) and it rendered in 20 minutes. the same scene in SR3 was only 50% completed after 5 hrs.

also, on opening PP2012 after roling back to SR2, i had a disturbing 'traceback call'

which mentioned 'RegisterAddOn'??

not sure what to think about that little development..........................

toastie ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 1:41 PM

Quote - .....

and yes, IC was unchecked, because i always had it set to 0 anyway.

so, for my normal rendering (ie no IC) SR3 IS slower to render a given scene.

i rolled back to SR2, rendered the scene ( with no changes) and it rendered in 20 minutes. the same scene in SR3 was only 50% completed after 5 hrs.

Yup. Looking like the same massive difference in render times here. Something must be causing the upset, but I've yet to test out what it is. Hopefully it is some combination of settings that SR3 doesn't like and there'll be some kind of work around.

ErickL88 ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 1:48 PM

It seems, that I have a little bit of a longer render times with SR3 as well. The last scene, an enclosed room setup, I did with SR2.1, took about 1h 52 min to finish. The same scene with SR3 needed 2h 14min.

But, the IDL "splotches" were less noticable in the SR3 render, with the same render settings, so it's all good on my side =)

3anson ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 2:14 PM

ok, reinstalled SR3. rendered same scene with box ticked but still at zero, render took 24 mins, 4 mins longer on a simple scene, one naked V4 with Alrisha hair.

i can live with that, but tying IDL directly to IC in this way is a mistake, can see no real reason for it.

hoping the other improvements make it worthwhile. :))

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 3:26 PM · edited Fri, 17 August 2012 at 3:27 PM

So your unclicking "Use Irradiance Cache" and you're surprized it takes longer than not using Irradiance Cache? One of us is confused.

vilters ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 3:30 PM · edited Fri, 17 August 2012 at 3:31 PM

LEAVE the box ticked ON.

When you uncheck, a completely different render procedure is used.
BB told this a while back too. No artifacts in corners or on sharp edges any more but at the cost of extra render time.

Only uncheck it if you have artifacts.
Corners of a room, square angles.
Artifacts in sharp corners.

Unchecking the IC checkbox , starts a different render procedure, and it does take quite bit longer at advanced render settings and material room specials.

Ps; You all know you can delete full body morphs now? :-)

basicwiz ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 3:36 PM

Quote - Ps; You all know you can delete full body morphs now? :-)

All right, Mr. V... I'll byte. Why and how?

vilters ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 3:52 PM

Well; one page of explanations just dissapeared.
Grrrrrrrrr, I hate that.

wimvdb ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 3:55 PM · edited Fri, 17 August 2012 at 3:56 PM

Go to the full body morph of the figure in  the parameter window. Click on the right arrow, select delete. A dialog will open where all the bodymorph parts are preselected. Unselect some if you want to and press OK

A bit shorter as a full page

vilters ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 4:05 PM

Before SR3 we could load full body morphs in PoserPro, but we could not delete them.

A full body morph creates a dial in each and every group.
We could load full body moprhs, but we could not delete them.

It was very time consuming to go find them all and delete them one, by one.

Now, as Wim said while I lost my page for the second time, you can select the body actor, select your full body morph, and delete it in one click, or maintain the dials in the groups you want to maintain.

THAT is a HUGE improvement for us who work with full body morphs.

vilters ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 4:06 PM

I kept is short as I lost my post 3 tmes already.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 4:25 PM

I'm also confused by the assertion that IC=0 is something like saying IC is off.

That's when IC is most on. The Irradiance Cache numerical value is how correct you want the result. If you want it 0 that means you want every bit of speed in exchange for total crap in the results. That was the fastest use of IC, not IC=off.

Previously, to turn IC off, you set IC=100. By doing that you were saying you wanted 100% accuracy and did not want IC in use because IC contributes to speed and inaccuracy, simultaneously.

Now there is a new switch to turn IC on and off separate from the IC value. The IC value has also probably changed in interpretation, since adjustments were made in the renderer with and without IC.

It may be that IC=0 no longer means quite the same thing. But if you want that kind of fastest-possible-I-don't-care-what-it-looks-like, you should be using the D3D Render Firefly dialog anyway.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 4:33 PM

file_485291.jpg

I did this render, which includes 2-bounce reflections and IDL, in 3.5 seconds.

Are you anywhere near that fast? If not, you don't know how to use Poser. LOL

vilters ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 4:39 PM

It is the same thing every Poser release.

Rendering older scenes without adapting them to the new versions or possibilities.

These Poser9 and PP2012 SR3's are FAST !

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 4:55 PM

file_485292.jpg

I got it down under 3 - 2.98 seconds. But it's pretty ugly - but still great for a test render to check color, light levels and angles.

3anson ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 5:01 PM

BB, your tests have NO BEARING on most normal uses of Poser, which usually involves a lot of transparency etc ( hair, SSS on skin)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 5:04 PM

Yes they do. If you don't know how to render a prop in 3.0 seconds, then how the heck can you deal with the complex settings and decisions involved in all those other things.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 5:18 PM

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 5:21 PM

I normally keep my IC at 10 when I use IDL. I hardly ever do finished renders these days, but I like detailed previews. My renders do stick at the trans maps, but overall the render time is about the same. Maybe there's some magic forumula that has to be set between the render settings, the figure and prop settings and number of threads. Who knows. But it's not worth getting huffy about. We've only had it a couple days ;)

Laurie

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 5:48 PM

file_485293.jpg

At the other end of the spectrum, 2 minutes 12 seconds, and I think it's close to flawless.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2012 at 12:58 AM

Another thread reveals more of this IC off confusion.

People - you never had IC off in SR2. Leave it on.

Turning it off is for when you do not want the speed advantage of IC. The reason you would do that is because IC introduced artifacts.

If you're trying to compare performance of SR3 with SR2, then leave IC enabled. Otherwise you're comparing a completely different renderer.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2012 at 6:12 AM

I notice in the D3D dialog there is now (I think) an extra "Pre-pass" value, just below the IDL / IC section.

This seems to default to 1.0.

Which is the highest setting for the slider... but may have an inverse relationship with the application of whatever it's controlling (like IC), I guess?

Does this have any bearing on anything being discussed here?

off to read manual

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2012 at 6:20 AM

By the way, I don't find any significant difference in render times , using the same settings as before.

But then my renders were often taking such a long time before, anyway, due to scene complexity, maybe I wouldn't notice.

I'm rendering an updated version of my last "watchmaker" image just now though... that's a pretty simple scene by my standards... and it seems to be just as fast as it was before, at 4096 x 4096; i.e. about 20 mins for the IDL pre pass, with an IC value of 47-ish and shading rate of 0.4... about the same sort of time for the SSS pass.

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2012 at 8:22 AM

Quote - I notice in the D3D dialog there is now (I think) an extra "Pre-pass" value, just below the IDL / IC section.

This seems to default to 1.0.

Which is the highest setting for the slider... but may have an inverse relationship with the application of whatever it's controlling (like IC), I guess?

Does this have any bearing on anything being discussed here?

off to read manual

Here's the answer. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2854847

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2012 at 1:46 PM

Ah, thanks General 😄

So reducing that slider value could indeed help speed up the IDL pass then, for bigger dimensioned renders?

Sounds like it. So, cool...

Anthanasius ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 10:11 AM

No, it just reduce the memory usage.

I like Poser, each SR is there a lot of new options without clear explanation 👎

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 10:13 AM

If your running out of memory and you start using a swap drive, then it would be a huge increase in speed.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2012 at 5:24 PM

Quote - > Quote - Shane:  for as long as i can remember Poser has had rounding errors on import/export.

so say i export Vicky, make a full body morph for her, and import her back again. she will have subtly shifted -- usually she rotates a bit on her Y axis but its totally random. we are talking very small movement, but it happens EVERY time. so by the time youre finished a figure, all these cumulative translations add up and it will no longer be symmetrical. this is not really detectable if youre making some major morph like working on the torso or legs -- but start morphing the fingernails or toes and all of a sudden you realize that its not in perfect symmetry anymore.

Gabe - You are correct. This is still an issue in SR3. It needs to be made known to SM if they don't already know about it. 

Very frustrating when trying to build a figure. 

~Shane

mysticeagle ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2012 at 5:35 PM

file_485458.jpg

:)

OS: Windows7 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)  6GB Ram
Poser: Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1 ...Poser 8.........Poser5 on a bad day........
Daz Studio Pro 4.5  64bit

Carrara beta 8.5

Modelling: Silo/Hexagon/Groboto V3
Image Editing: PSP V9/Irfanview
Movie Editing. Cyberlink power director/Windows live movie maker

"I live in an unfinished , poorly lit box, but we call it home"

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2012 at 5:39 PM

ROFLMAO Mystic! :lol:

thinkcooper ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2012 at 5:50 PM · edited Mon, 20 August 2012 at 5:51 PM

Quote - ROFLMAO Mystic! :lol:

Same here. Wondering where they got a picture of my office?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.