Fri, Oct 4, 1:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: A difference between the hobbyist and the pro

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2012 at 3:54 PM · edited Mon, 03 September 2012 at 3:55 PM

I reckon I noted an increased number of product commercials featured in the Blender Siggraph 2012 show reel, over that 2011 one, too...

😉

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2012 at 4:17 PM

There is not enuff hours in a day to make comics.
If I could buy time...

Blender has a lot of power but I would not say it's the fastest ,I never know about there GoZ.

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Sat, 08 September 2012 at 10:26 AM

thread title got me to thinking, as a hobbiest, lately i've been procrastinating on projects or not following through to finishing something. 

i didn't use to do that, making stuff - for like, the luv of challenges - was a relaxing way to enjoy the weekend.

wm brushing feels more tedious than relaxing.

and the SR's, do you have to test your content creations now in poser with and without sr's to make sure it works?

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

Paloth ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2012 at 12:57 AM

I think there can be more to a hobbyist than just doing something for enjoyment. Some people like to tackle the most complicated and frustrating things imaginable just to see if it can be done. I remember a study, (sponsored by the Federal Reserve), that focused on something nearly inexplicable to those who are driven exclusively by the finanicial motive, the fact that some software engineers in their spare time create useful programs and distribue them for free. The conclusion was that intelligent people may enjoy the process of engaging in a difficult task. Of course, there was the added proviso that you "shouldn't pay these people too much or it might discourage them" but that was predictable given the source.

While creating Poser content is infinitely less useful, there can be a similar factor at work here.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

moriador ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2012 at 1:41 AM · edited Tue, 11 September 2012 at 1:46 AM

Quote - ...the fact that some software engineers in their spare time create useful programs and distribue them for free. The conclusion was that intelligent people may enjoy the process of engaging in a difficult task.

Ask Bagginsbill why he's been giving away shaders for years and posting in forums to educate users, despite the huge amount of time both of these endeavors involves. It surely wasn't in order to prove his cred so that he could become a best selling vendor. But I have trouble seeing the work he produces as being that of a "mere hobbyist" just because (with the exception of his recent contributions to the marketplace) we don't pay for it.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2012 at 4:49 AM

Bagginsbill is definitely professional grade.

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

ironsoul ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2012 at 8:13 AM

As a consumer of 3d products I would say the difference between a hobbyist and a professional is that a professional knows their market and how to satisfy it and a hobbyist produces output that meets another purpose.  To put it down to quality is missing the point. Sorry to be cynical, quite happy to be proved wrong.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2012 at 5:16 PM

A difference between the hobbyist and the pro

One difference is the fact they tend to have more time to spend in Poser because they are motivated to make money. I've been trying to get back into Poser for several months now, but life seems to get in the way and I can't justify letting life matters slide in favour of getting onto the computer.  Just when things seem to start to settle down, something happens to make it chaotic again :(

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.