Thu, Sep 19, 11:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:56 pm)

Subject: Genesis question

Pedrith ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 10:25 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 9:44 PM

Hi.  I've been away for some time and still enjoy using Michael 4 and Victoria 4, but have a few questions about Genesis, as it seems things are going that way.

1.  Can I use my existing clothing and hair with the Genesis character?

1.  What about character textures?  Will I have to repurchase my asian or african american textures?

1.  I've divided my runtime into multiple folders (one for m4 clothing,  another for vehicles etc.)  Will this be a problem for genesis clothing items?

1.  Will I still be able to mix and match clothing like I can do with M4 and V4?

Thanks,

David

FSMCDesigns ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2012 at 12:47 AM

If you are using DS4 pro or the new DS 4.5, then yes, you can use most V4 clothing on genesis. The biggest issues are with shoes, heels mostly.

All v4 textures work on genesis, morphs do not without using GenX which isn't updated last time i looked for 4.5, but works great in 4.0.

You should be able to use old runtimes and mix and match, just point the directories to your runtimes.

to enable using V4 items on Genesis you will need the V4/gen 4 shapes package at DAZ.

Once you get set up you will be amazed at how easy the workflow is and how fast you can fit clothing and change shapes on the fly.

Regards, Michael

My DeviantArt page

Bejaymac ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2012 at 6:53 AM · edited Sun, 02 September 2012 at 6:59 AM

in answer to 3), Genesis is entirely in DS native formats (new formats at that), so you wont find any of it in a "Runtime", but you can organize it how you feel inside "My Library" or through the "Smart Content" database system.

Quote - to enable using V4 items on Genesis you will need the V4/gen 4 shapes package at DAZ.

You just need DS4 and the default Genesis, as it comes with the Gen 4 clones and UV sets, you only need the gen 4 shapes for Genesis package if your trying to convert V4/M4 morphs to Genesis with GenX.

mishamcm ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2012 at 5:41 PM

Just in case the prior answers didn't cover everything, to summarize:

1.  Can I use my existing clothing and hair with the Genesis character?

Yes, although like any clothing converter some items convert better than others.  As mentioned, shoes are the trickiest.  Gen 4 conforming clothing and conforming hair can be converted to Genesis without anything extra; Gen 3 items require the purchase of the corresponding Gen 3 iconic shape to get the autofit clone for their clothes.  Note that clothes autofit to Genesis will work on any shape, not just the shape the clothing was original made for.

1.  What about character textures?  Will I have to repurchase my asian or african american textures?

Gen 4 textures can be used on Genesis without anything extra.  The default UVmap for Genesis is the V4 UVmap -- to use old M4 textures you need to change the UVmap in the Surface tab.

1.  I've divided my runtime into multiple folders (one for m4 clothing,  another for vehicles etc.)  Will this be a problem for genesis clothing items?

No, DS4.5 can use multiple content folders.  Clothing made for Genesis will be in DS format, while clothing for Gen 4 figures will be in Poser formats, but both kinds can be in external runtimes if you like.  Genesis morph sets need to be in the same content folder as the Genesis base, just like Gen 4 morph sets need to be installed to the same runtime as the corresponding base figure.

1.  Will I still be able to mix and match clothing like I can do with M4 and V4?

Yes, you can still mix and match.

Pedrith ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2012 at 6:45 PM

Hi.  Thanks for all the helpful answers.

Cheers,

David

kimbersue ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 11:18 AM

I loved your answer. I have been reading about Gen X a lot this morning but not sure what the point of Gen X is. Is it to make your own model injections for a person? 

Thanks
Kimber 

3D Artist Network  by Imaginative 3D: Where the “i” in “imaginative” stands for the individual” 3D artists showing off their creative designs.

FSMCDesigns ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 4:29 PM

Quote - I loved your answer. I have been reading about Gen X a lot this morning but not sure what the point of Gen X is. Is it to make your own model injections for a person? 

Thanks
Kimber 

The point of GenX is to be able to use gen 4 and gen 3 morphs on genesis, Say you have some great V4/V3 characters you love to use, but want to use them with genesis, GenX allows this to happen.

Regards, Michael

My DeviantArt page

Pedrith ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2012 at 6:52 PM

Hi.  I have a started using the genesis figures and have a few follow up questions.

1.  How do I age the characters?  While I like cute hot thing as much as the next person, the cast of characters I'm assembling require some to older.  For one I'm using Horatio, but for the others I need a range between 35-60.  Is there a morph dial I can use to age them?

1.  I'm having trouble with some of the Regency clothes.  They seem to transfer well until I try to layer them.  There were morphs that allowed various parts of the clothing to be layered (frilly neck from the regency shirt over the vest, etc) but when I click on the item and bring up the parameters there is nothing.  Did I do something wrong, or am I looking in the wrong place.

1.  I found a model of a beautiful blue rose on another site (for free) loated here:

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/blue-rose-max-free/462834

Can Daz Studio 4 import it or is there some way to make it more user friendly?  I'm on a mac and don't have 3ds Max and because the item is free they will not convert it into another format.  Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help.

Sincerely,

David

FSMCDesigns ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2012 at 7:51 PM

On character age, yes, there are some dails that age the mesh, but you will also need a good texture set, Try this vendor at DAZ

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/phoenix1966

On the clothes, layering is tricky and works best when used with the figure it was designed for. best bet is to use scaling or D-forms.

,max files will only open with 3DSMax. best bet is look for other formats that DS will import lik .obj or use another modeling program that will open various file formats and export to .obj. Do a search for rose at TS and you will find others in different formats.

Regards, Michael

My DeviantArt page

tparo ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2012 at 2:25 AM

For layering clothes smoothing is very useful - set each item to collide with the item below.

GenX will transfer over the Aged set of morphs from Gen 4 and the texture works great on Genesis, as FSMCdesigns has said Phoenix1966 has some great older characters.

Clothes loose their morphs when autofitted to Genesis in DS4 this hsas been updated in DS4.5. Or you can use the transfer utility instead of Autofit.

dyret ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2012 at 4:06 PM

Gen X is updated for 4.5 now.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.