Mon, Sep 23, 7:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 6:56 am)

Subject: Bagginsbill's Sketchbook

monkeycloud ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 9:13 AM

I guess if you come up with any color additions / improvements down the line you could always issue product updates?

I think product updates - and certainly if they're in fact an enhancement, as opposed to just fixing some niggle - are a nice bonus...

Hana-Hanabi ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 10:46 AM

Quote - They are almost indistinguishable in Super Gloss

Actually, I can distinguish quite easily between all three of them in Super Gloss.

花 | 美 | 花美 | 花火 
...It's a pun. 

foxylady1 ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 10:47 AM

I can see three separate shades also.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 10:53 AM · edited Wed, 15 August 2012 at 10:55 AM

You may be missing a brilliant or bright yellow, if anything...

the colour of this helmet:

Perhaps a slightly lighter, more intense, "artificial banana" yellow, I think, than the Flame Yellow you've got in there already??

Maybe not...

In both Super Gloss and Candy Satin Flame, I'd say I can, personally, distinguish between the inner and outer colours... but not so much the two outer colours... although I can still distinguish them.

Keith ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 2:31 PM

I can see the difference between the three as well.

Of course, part of the problem here is the same problem that comes up with the Adelson Checker Shadow Illusion: how a human interprets colours or shades depends a great deal on what it surrounding the object you are looking at. I would wager great sums that were you to separate the three objects with something of very different colours, so that they'd be yellowish objects surrounded by something very different, most people wouldn't be able to detect any difference between them at all.

AnAardvark ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 3:32 PM

Quote - I wondered if there should be an off-white category. Notice how many off-whites are represented in the orange (O) group. These subtle variations just seemed necessary to me.

There is a very strong representation of red-orange-yellow, because it seemed to me that you need more tiny variations here than in the blue-magenta area.

At least you aren't dealing with real paint. We built a house recently, and we had it painted what we thought was a warm beige color. We didn't pay attention to the numbering on the paint sample (which indicated that it was in the orange family.) Under some lighting conditions (natural afternoon light) it is definitely orange.

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 7:41 PM

Quote - how a human interprets colours or shades depends a great deal on what is surrounding the object you are looking at.

I agree.

I also understand the reasoning you need names for colours now, and going with crayons seems a mighty fine choice.

DreamlandModels ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2012 at 9:22 PM

I like the idea of food names,

because I,

well,

love food!

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 9:45 PM

wondering how the glass of milk is looking after the new IC?

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 1:40 PM

file_486786.jpg

I'm working once again on procedural wood.

While researching the subject, I ran across this statement:

"it is fairly easy to define a convincing woodgrain texture procedurally."

Along with the image above.

Apparently, I do not understand the meaning of the word "convincing".

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 1:45 PM

ROFLMAO!

:lol:

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 1:46 PM

file_486787.jpg

My unachievable goal for several years has been 100% procedural pine planks with knots.

I'm closer than ever before, but still not convincing, IMO. But I'm making progress.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

DreamlandModels ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 1:55 PM

I would have to say not bad for a newbie :-)

Actually Wow!

Tommy like!

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 1:56 PM

That's pretty damn good!

The color or tone of the knots looks a little to different from the colors / tones elsewhere in the wood... I think. Which... I think... is what is jarring a little bit for me. But the placement of the knots is perfectly convincing I think.

Can you place subtle, inset rings within the knots... somehow?

The rest of the texture is fantastic, I reckon... and the knots are not too far off.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 2:02 PM

Actually, looking at some images of pine planks... I think the knots are even closer than I first thought... and for pine the color is probably correct.

It's the oak flooring in my house I was looking at, in comparison, before... which is obviously not quite the same.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 2:15 PM · edited Mon, 24 September 2012 at 2:16 PM

Quote - BB, it's a shame you're not in the UK: there's  a Stephen Fry program on Radio 4 tomorrow morning about the language of colour.

Maybe you can get it on iPlayer?

I missed this. for reference in the future - all BBC Radio stations are on Iplayer / their own sites Play Again and open to the whole world. only TV channels are geolocked to the UK only.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 2:36 PM

Yup, I can also distinguish the three shades.

The wooden teapot is really convincing.  You're going to have your work cut out to beat that, BB. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

moriador ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 3:18 PM

I think the teapot creator is using the same definition of the word "convincing" that politicians use when talking about their platforms. I'm sure if the creator called the teapot "realistic" it would be in the same spirit as a "realistic" budget or a "realistic assessment of our international goals" etc, etc.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 10:17 PM · edited Mon, 24 September 2012 at 10:17 PM

file_486810.jpg

It's driving me crazy. I can't look up the math formula for "wood knots" in a physics book, so I have to guess and keep trying things. Arggggh!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 10:24 PM

file_486811.jpg

Darker stain.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 11:50 PM

go ahead and ship them, bill.  they will buy them, but be patient if they don't read the read-me.  these LED/LCD monitors are known to have problems with yellow. perception on an individual basis more or less differs from reality.  I dunno about CRT.

DreamlandModels ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 12:25 AM

You nailed it!

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 2:00 AM

That one looks superb!

:biggrin:

heddheld ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 2:37 AM

the stuff you do with python is amazing!!!! looks like the poserverse is LEAVING the plastic age

isikol ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 3:12 PM

BB i can sent you a blank check to fill it with any number you want if you will sent me these shaders!...really when are you planning to sell them? Those golds are just...perfect!

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 4:19 PM

That's starting to look really good. It looks a bit too random for pine IMO.

isikol ( ) posted Wed, 26 September 2012 at 3:40 PM

Quote - I made a promo stage set. (Airplane is by Bazze)

This is very interesting...do you care putting this for sale BB? I would like to try it for something i m thinking of...

nomuse ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 3:59 PM

On the knots... Look for how wood is sawn.  A knot is the base of a limb (or the dormant bud of one), with a conical cross-section, therefore they have a specific relationship to the grain pattern.  Which means they will show differently in wood that is flat sawn versus quarter-sawn.  But as a quick-and-dirty, a wider spacing between the grains means that part of the board is closer to flat to the normal of the tree, thus knots will be circular; a tighter spacing means you are moving towards perpendicular, and encountering the knots longitudinally instead of in smallest cross-section.

Anyhow...starting point for research there....

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 6:34 PM

Quote - > Quote - How I would have done it...

From red at the top, in a clockwise fashion around the inner ring:

Red, Orange, Yellow-Orange, Yellow, Chartreuse, Yellow-green, Green, Grass, Turquoise,  Teal, Sky, Light Blue, Blue, Purple, Violet, Violet-Pink, Magenta, Red-Violet. 

Just to throw in what my perceptions and opinions are...all 2 cents that they're worth, heh.

I used Cyan, instead of Teal, and fewer categories than I show in this wheel, but I largely agree with a lot of these names.

I find the two-name names less useful. I prefer Celadon over Yellow-green, for example. Thus, my question about raspberry.

Actually, and altough it doesn't appear to be, Cyan (as used in printers) is pure blue,

also called primary blue in subtractive synthesis (? not sure of the translation).

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.