Thu, Sep 19, 4:03 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:00 pm)

Subject: Daz Generation 3 Models

ToxicSoul ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2012 at 3:01 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 9:01 AM

Hello all.

Are there any problems with the Daz generation 3 models, like V3, M3, and the Freak? I am thinking about getting back into Poser, and using the 3rd Generation models. I'll be modeling all my own clothing and accessories, in Silo 2, and learning dynamic cloth/hair, as well as the new weight mapping in Poser 2012 Pro. I'm mainly interested in the generation 3 stuff because of price and the vast numbers of morphs readily available for them, not to mention the relative simplicity of working with their textures.

I already own M3, V3, A3 & H3 (from back when Daz did the free poser 5 content), as well as M4 and V4.2 (from having bought Carrara 8 Pro).

If anyone has advice or better options for me to look at, I'm al ears.

ghostman ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2012 at 3:05 PM

No problems with them as I know of.

"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die tomorrow."

Join PoserLounge Chat

3Dream ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2012 at 3:06 PM · edited Thu, 27 December 2012 at 3:07 PM

Some of the included figure in Poser program are also nice!

I like Jessi a lot!

STOREhttps://www.renderosity.com/marketplace/vendors/3Dream

FREEBIEShttps://www.renderosity.com/users/3Dream/freestuff

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2012 at 3:11 PM

There is no weightmapping for any of the Gen 3 models, I'm afraid, and only V4.2 has been weightmapped so far.  Although, there is a beta WM M4 long forgotten ATM. 

It would seem that Gen 3's have been neglected lately, not too many new items in the offering to keep them interesting any more.  However, users do go back to them on occassions. 

My advice, jump into the Gen 4's and any available 3rd party models especially if you hope to upgrade to PP2012. 

bagoas ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2012 at 3:19 PM

But of course there is nothing against weight-mapping V3. The tools provded trough PoserPlace are still there and could serve.

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2012 at 3:26 PM

If you want weight-mapped figures, check out the free Antonia Weight-Mapped (RDNA) and Tyler (Content Paradise).

JoePublic ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2012 at 3:39 PM · edited Thu, 27 December 2012 at 3:40 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2861023

The 3rd generation of DAZ meshes were the last to be rigged *in* Poser, *for* Poser.

Their cr2's are simple and robust. No embedded magnets, no "activation" script calls, no LOD functionality.

The mesh wasn't "optimised" for Subd, so they have the best built in mesh detail and render smooth without any additional help. The textures can be easily modified without the need for 3D painting software.

They have the biggest variety in stand alone shapes and the morph sets are much more complete than the 4th or 5th generation ones.

They bend "somewhat" worse than the 4th gen meshes and "a lot" worse than Genesis, but there is no problem bringing them to the same level (or better) by weightmapping them:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2861023

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2012 at 3:44 PM

I will have to agree with Joe.  There are many others that share the same opinions.  What I would give for a WM'ed V3 or SP3.

ToxicSoul ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2012 at 3:52 PM · edited Thu, 27 December 2012 at 3:59 PM

So, if I take my time and weight map my M3, V3 and F3 (assuming I buy him), I can expect results in the ballpark of what you got with David? Sign me up. :woot:

One thing I don't understand is this: Why are David 3 base and Stephanie Petite 3 base so much more expensive than Michale 3 base and Victoria 3 base? Are the meshes better? Or is it because they gave away M3 and V3 when Poser 5 came out?

JoePublic ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2012 at 4:10 PM · edited Thu, 27 December 2012 at 4:13 PM

"So, if I take my time and weight map my M3, V3 and F3 (assuming I buy him), I can expect results in the ballpark of what you got with David?"

I don't see a reason why not.

I started by just converting the default rigging, so I could concentrate on fixing and refining the shape.

Weightmapping is tedious, but once you understand what the settings do, easier than the old rigging method.

Base M3 and V3 used to be free, while David and SP3 bases never were. So I guess them being more expensive now is just a "legacy" thing to not annoy the customers who bought them when V3 and M3 were free.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2012 at 5:39 PM

Quote - Hello all.

Are there any problems with the Daz generation 3 models, like V3, M3, and the Freak? I am thinking about getting back into Poser, and using the 3rd Generation models. I'll be modeling all my own clothing and accessories, in Silo 2, and learning dynamic cloth/hair, as well as the new weight mapping in Poser 2012 Pro. I'm mainly interested in the generation 3 stuff because of price and the vast numbers of morphs readily available for them, not to mention the relative simplicity of working with their textures.

I already own M3, V3, A3 & H3 (from back when Daz did the free poser 5 content), as well as M4 and V4.2 (from having bought Carrara 8 Pro).

If anyone has advice or better options for me to look at, I'm al ears.

Might want to check out Genesis.
There weight mapped ,morph in to some of Generations 3,4,5
Not sure of all there morphs.

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

JoePublic ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2012 at 5:50 PM · edited Thu, 27 December 2012 at 5:53 PM

In ZBrush you can directly work with a SubD mesh, creating more detail by sculpting it.

In Poser or Studio you can only smooth the mesh by using SubD.

If you want to have the same level of detail in Poser or Studio than in ZBrush, you either have to import the "frozen" high res mesh, or import a displacement map derived from it.

Both methods cost RAM, and in the end a (moderately) high res mesh is the easier solution for hobbyist users compared to a displacement map that needs to be created by someone else.

Joe@HFG ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2012 at 6:56 PM · edited Thu, 27 December 2012 at 6:56 PM

One overlooked benefit to the third Gen figures is the existance of the Reduced Res versions. Stanard G3 mesh is around 72K polys, while thier reduced res counterparts were 26K polys.

mo·nop·o·ly  [muh-nop-uh-lee]
noun, plural mo·nop·o·lies.
1. exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market,
or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices

WandW ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2012 at 7:33 PM · edited Thu, 27 December 2012 at 7:34 PM

For those who don't have the Gen 3 models, M3, V3, A3 and H3 base figures can be downloaded for free from Download.com; scroll to " Poser DAZStudio 3D Models Pack"; there is a Mac and Windows version...

http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=daz&tag=pfindersrch&searchtype=downloads&filterName=&filter=&priceFilterDL=All&category=All

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

JoePublic ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2012 at 9:51 PM

Thanks WandW.

Just be careful to click on the DIRECT download link and not CNETs "installer" button that tries to flood your computer with adware.

Coleman ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2012 at 12:47 AM

Quote - One overlooked benefit to the third Gen figures is the existance of the Reduced Res versions. Stanard G3 mesh is around 72K polys, while thier reduced res counterparts were 26K polys.

Very true! I wish Reduced res versions of Mike4 and V4 had been made as well. I use the M3/V3 RR versions for background extras a lot in populated scenes

Letterworks ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2012 at 1:00 AM

Just because the base figures, V3,M3,V4 etc, aren't weight mapped doesn't mean that you can't use weight mapping on the clothing. In fact I've found weight mapping can be used effectively to get better movement when used with older gen figues. See the skirt with my "Vintage Pop" for GND 4, in the marketplace as an example. The only drawback is they can only work in Poser 9 or PP 2012. If you own eitherof those programs and are creating just for yourself then why not use the rigging that gives the best results for you purpose?

bagoas ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2012 at 3:23 AM

V3/M3 RR were great! No difficult inections and all essential morphs included so no complex injection.

These figures could be a great basis for a weight mapped rig (fewer verts so easier to paint the global behavior) and with Snarly's subdivider plug-in the rendered results could be surprisingly good.   

JoePublic ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2012 at 6:28 AM

file_489936.jpg

V3RR and M3RR are great figures which work well with Posers built in reyes smoothing.

I actually like them so much I even built a David-RR and SP3-RR once by transferring the David and SP3 shapes as FBMs from V3to V3RR.

Also all of my custom made figures are based on a hybrid mesh I made by putting the V3RR/M3RR head on a regular high res body, resulting in a 45.000 mid-res figure. (Best of both worlds)

Of course if you need lots of muscle or other body detail, the reduced resolution bodys are notacebly "softer" than the regular ones, but for most youthful face morphs the lower res heads are detailed enough.

JoePublic ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2012 at 6:44 AM · edited Fri, 28 December 2012 at 6:58 AM

file_489937.jpg

Found my old David-RR mesh tucked away in a folder and just for kicks added the new weightmapped rig to it I made for David.

Except for the elbow JCMs which have to be redone, the weightmaps transferred over nicely.

Joe@HFG ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2012 at 6:48 AM

I'm really liking the love fest for the G3 figures. I was heaviy invested in them and never got on the V4 bandwangon. I also kind of burnt out of 3D in general around the same time they went out of vouge. Coincidence, not cause.

Like JP, I actualy built a custom M3 based figure that was only 2600 Polys. (Not a typo. He Tri'd out to a little ove 5000 polys.)

Most of my human figure use was for fully clothed figures. It never made sence to me to have a full figure in a scene that you saw nothing from but the eyes.

mo·nop·o·ly  [muh-nop-uh-lee]
noun, plural mo·nop·o·lies.
1. exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market,
or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices

bagoas ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2012 at 7:50 AM

For many scenes inded a head-and shoulders only figure works out well and economical, either as main character in portrait shots or as 'insert' in full-clothing figures.   

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2012 at 7:53 AM

Joepublic - how do you transfer one figure's shape to another figure?

Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

JoePublic ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2012 at 8:17 AM · edited Fri, 28 December 2012 at 8:21 AM

In this case, I simply had to export the zeroed David mesh as an object file and load it into V3 as a morph. (Much easier now with PP 2012 than it was a few years ago)

Then I transferred that "David morph" from V3 over to V3RR using Cage's morphtransfer script.

(D3D's Morphing clothes can do that, too. I think even WW can do it)

Now set the morph to 1 and V3RR will look like David.

Export that morphed object, re-import and add Davids rigging to it in the SetUp room. (Use the BLANK cr2 as a donor as the high res morphs and JCMs won't work with the lower res mesh anyway)

Finally transfer Davids expression and body morphs over to the new mesh the same way you transferred the David-morph from V3 to V3RR.

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2012 at 8:22 AM

Interesting.

You are clever!

Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Keith ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2012 at 6:00 PM · edited Fri, 28 December 2012 at 6:01 PM

Quote - In this case, I simply had to export the zeroed David mesh as an object file and load it into V3 as a morph. (Much easier now with PP 2012 than it was a few years ago)

You don't need that first step: simply use the blDavid.obj directly as a full-body morph, so there's no need to export the mesh.

(Incidentally, the Young Teens and Stephanie 3 can also be loaded as morphs using this method: Michael 3 cannot.)

It's a shame the joints won't adjust as the figure is morphed. Gee, that's sounds like an interesting project for someone...

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Sat, 29 December 2012 at 8:34 AM

corvas made arm fixes for m3, v3, and sp3.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

Michael314 ( ) posted Sat, 29 December 2012 at 10:11 AM

file_489962.jpg

Hi,

yes, V3 is a good figure! No magnets hassle and such. The only thing I like much more with V4 is that the morphs are organised into sections.

This is V3 with Bice's free Lilo morph / texture (available in the freestuff section), still one of my favorites. Best regards,

Michael

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Sat, 29 December 2012 at 10:20 AM

Illusions Designs still have their "going out of style" sale on V3 characters, for less than $3 each. They are well worth having.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

JoePublic ( ) posted Sat, 29 December 2012 at 10:20 AM

Attached Link: Grouped Dials

"The only thing I like much more with V4 is that the morphs are organised into sections."

Then this freebie by D3D should help. I'm using it for several years now with my 3rd Gen figures.

(See link)

JoePublic ( ) posted Sat, 29 December 2012 at 10:32 AM

file_489963.jpg

Old V3RR WIP that I re-rendered using EZSkin.

So far some dial-spinning, scaling and 18 magnets.

Still needs some ZBrush work mostly for the arms and shoulders.

Michael314 ( ) posted Sun, 30 December 2012 at 6:40 AM

Quote - "The only thing I like much more with V4 is that the morphs are organised into sections."

Then this freebie by D3D should help. I'm using it for several years now with my 3rd Gen figures.

(See link)

Thanks a lot! It works like a charm.

Best regards,

Michael

Michael314 ( ) posted Sun, 30 December 2012 at 6:49 AM

Quote - Illusions Designs still have their "going out of style" sale on V3 characters, for less than $3 each. They are well worth having.

They seem to have a year's end sale now, and offer V3 chars for 2.25 each. For 3 $ they sell all the V4 chars.

Best regards,

Michael

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 30 December 2012 at 11:39 AM

Wonder if that grouped dials works with A3?

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sun, 30 December 2012 at 4:29 PM · edited Sun, 30 December 2012 at 4:30 PM

Quote - In ZBrush you can directly work with a SubD mesh, creating more detail by sculpting it.

In Poser or Studio you can only smooth the mesh by using SubD.

If you want to have the same level of detail in Poser or Studio than in ZBrush, you either have to import the "frozen" high res mesh, or import a displacement map derived from it.

Both methods cost RAM, and in the end a (moderately) high res mesh is the easier solution for hobbyist users compared to a displacement map that needs to be created by someone else.

With out razing the polycount you could make a texture,bump,spectrum instead of a displacement map.

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

JoePublic ( ) posted Sun, 30 December 2012 at 4:51 PM

"With out razing the polycount you could make a texture,bump,spectrum instead of a displacement map."

Which neither will give you any more actual, three-dimensional detail in Poser, so your point is ?

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 30 December 2012 at 10:52 PM

Wonder if that grouped dials works with A3?

(are they gonna make me do the sensible thing? hmm.)

FreeBass ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2012 at 5:30 AM
Online Now!

Ever since P5 ya can create yr own groups right in Poser... just clik the lil' arrow in the top right corner of yr Parameters, hit Create Group, name it, then drag/ drop yr dials into place.

Save yr figure if ya don' wanna do it again.

WARNING!

This user has been known to swear. A LOT!

primorge ( ) posted Mon, 31 December 2012 at 2:21 PM

Your right, FreeBass! something I've never used before, totally forgot about that feature. Thanks for the heads up. (feelin' pretty clueless).

bluecity ( ) posted Thu, 03 January 2013 at 5:46 AM

I still use V3 exclusively; I would certainly love to see what a WM V3 could do. I never warmed up to the Gen4's - resource hogs and faces that look like a plastic doll with that awful "1000 yard stare". It's been harder and harder getting content for V3 anymore, but I've had some success with the conversion tools to keep it fresh - pretty much the only reason I buy V4 content is to convert it to my V3 characters. I for one, woud welcome continued support for the Gen3 figures.

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 03 January 2013 at 5:56 AM

I do use V4 and M4, but David and SP3 are still my favorites. 

The original Vicky was a big improvement over Posette, and V3 was a big improvement over V1/2, but I don't see V4 as that big an improvement over V3.

bluecity ( ) posted Thu, 03 January 2013 at 9:05 AM

Quote - I do use V4 and M4, but David and SP3 are still my favorites. 

The original Vicky was a big improvement over Posette, and V3 was a big improvement over V1/2, but I don't see V4 as that big an improvement over V3.

Yeah; I think the law of dimishing returns set in hard between Gen3 and Gen4; I found the Gen4s less realistic and much harder to work with (seriously, what's with all the magnets!?). For my style of art, V3 simply works better.

toastie ( ) posted Thu, 03 January 2013 at 9:43 AM

A3 and M3 are my faves and most used figures. I've never used V3 all that much apart from AS's Yaara and Keilo characters - still use those quite often for fantasy renders as I like their distinctive look. I'm not planning on abandoning Gen3 figures any time soon.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.