Tue, Oct 22, 12:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Vue crashes when rendering larger than a small file resolution

lhumungus ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2013 at 7:52 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 10:24 PM

Hola,

I'm having problems rendering one of my vue files.  It's only about 14 million polys, several imported objects with textures, a few objs with displacement, GR, no cloud objects.

It renders just fine at the smallest default internal render resolution (320xsomething).  But it always crashes at any resolution greater than that.  Other files render just fine.  This is extremely frustrating. I've tried rendering with and without certain objects, thinking they were the culprit, but I think Vue must just run out of resources.  I'm guessing this might have something to do with Vue being 32bit, but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions for how to get the render to actually complete at a reasonable resolution would be welcome.

Using Vue 7 Infinite, Mac OS 10.6.8, MBP 8GB i7 4Core 2.3GHz, ATI AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Thanks for your help,

LH

bruno021 ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 2:49 AM · edited Sun, 27 January 2013 at 2:49 AM

Normally when Vue gets out of memory, you get a warning about (normally....) Did you try rendering without displcement?

lhumungus ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 11:20 AM

Quote - Normally when Vue gets out of memory, you get a warning about (normally....) Did you try rendering without displcement?

Wow, you called it.  While I was testing, I thought I had removed all the displacement, but I missed a few.  Turning off displacement for everything allowed the render to finish at my resolution of choice.

Is there an explanation for why displacement causes Vue to crash?  Have later versions of Vue resolved this issue?

Thanks so much for your suggestion!

LH

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 12:28 PM

The more your camera sees of a displaced object, the more polygons Vue generates for the render.  14 million may be too high a polygon count to displace because Vue will turn that into a billion, depending on the resolution of your displacement generator.

I'm displacing a Mars terrain.  The original object (before displacing) is 200,000 polygons.  But when I had it at 8 million, Vue had trouble.  After displacement, the 200,000 is turned into 10-14 million (depending on how much was in the camera view at render time).

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.