Thu, Sep 19, 9:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: new look

Rapierman ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 6:11 PM

Almost better, guys.  Now, another nit I need to pick:  Where it says "Daily Deals", that orange lettering is barely readable against that background (and a bit painful).  Let's try a different color instead.  Also, could you tell me why this is not backwards compatible with previous browser versions?  AOL's internal browser is based on an older version of IE.

The Rapierman:  Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 6:13 PM

We aren't done yet so I will pass on your feedback Raplerman, Thanks!!

KageRyu ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 6:18 PM

Quote - Nothing is brighter, its actually all been tone down this afternoon...

Yes, the background is brighter.  It went from a much darker neutral blue to this ugly and brighter medium gray color.

While the side panels look better, the banner at the top does not appear to have been toned down at all (if it has the color shift is so minor as to be nearly imperceptable on this monitor).

The New HD Toaster from Wamco toasts bread more evenly and acurately than Standard Toasters. Take advantage of the FULL resolution of your bread and try one today, because if your toast isn't in High Definition, you are not getting the most of your toast!

DavidGB ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 6:33 PM

Personally I'm much more annoyed by all the still-broken formatting, like the Related Products section at the bottom of the product pages, and the whole My Account Item List, neither of which adapt to the user's browser window width.

I still find it impossible to imagine what kind of process led to this site change happening as it did. Was there absolutely no testing, even to see the obviously broken things I saw on the first page of the new site I loaded within the first few seconds? Or was it tested, many of the broken items seen, but then just a shrug and 'oh we'll release it with all this obviously broken design and coding anyway'? I don't even know which of those is worse and gives a worse impression of the company. Either is incompetence and a callous disregard of cusromers and merchants.

the_tdog ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 6:34 PM

Quote - Ok, so now the background of the whole page is a medium gray, and the headers and side panels are still very bright and it looks even worse...

Honestly, making everything on the bage a shade brighter is not a fix.  Do they still teach color theory as part of commercial arts and design anymore?

I just got a newsletter from the site today, and it looked MUCH better than the website itself does. 

the_tdog ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 6:52 PM

The grey boxes (instead of garish white) are definitely a step in a better direction.  The banner up top needs to tone down to about that level, too!

Rapierman ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 7:13 PM

Quote - Personally I'm much more annoyed by all the still-broken formatting, like the Related Products section at the bottom of the product pages, and the whole My Account Item List, neither of which adapt to the user's browser window width.

I dunno if it's even possible to adapt to a widescreen monitor.  :unsure:

The Rapierman:  Intelligence with a sword and a smile.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2013 at 8:47 PM

it's not bad now IMVHO.  one understands that text size must increase for mobile users.

caty77 ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 4:38 AM

There are still problems with some pages.
I am using firefox, and when I landed, or that I'm on "who's online" writing is gray to dark. Can not read what is written in these conditions: (
who's

And names of artists are still "eaten" (letters y, j, g...) on galleries.

StaceyG ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 9:08 AM

yes we are aware of these types of issues with the text caty but we have lots of seperate modules throughout the site and we will be working on each one of them to get them all readable.. It's gonna take a minute but we will get there:)

Thanks!

Sue88 ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 9:58 AM

I really, really don't like this drab grey color. It's literally making me feel sick to my stomach. I don't mean to be a jerk about it; I haven't said anything until now, but when I checked the site today and saw all this grey and black and yellow, I couldn't hold back anymore... I just don't think that it's attractive at all, especially for an art site.

caty77 ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 10:32 AM

I just wanted to be sure that these writings were not forgotten Stacy. ;)

Otherwise, the gray suits me better already. But the 'banners' at the top and bottom make me feel (just feel) to be endless sides since they have no frames lol

StaceyG ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 11:28 AM

I agree caty:)  we'll look into something with those top banners I think

caty77 ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2013 at 3:04 AM · edited Fri, 01 March 2013 at 3:04 AM

Thank you for writings colors :)))

ghosty12 ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2013 at 5:27 AM

I am wondering am I coming to and logging into Rendo or Daz?  If not for the title and what not I thought I was at their site.  Where Rendo now has White top and bottom with grey middle, theirs is grey top and bottom with white in the middle..

All I can say is all that made Rendorosity special and stand out from the other online content stores is now dead and buried.

You know you enjoy 3D Art when you realize that your life is a piece of 3D Art. :)

Core I7 8700K, 32GB, RTX 3060 12G, Windows 10 64bit, Poser 9 / Pro 2012 / Pro 2014, Daz Studio 4.20 Pro

brewgirlca ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2013 at 12:34 PM

Hate to sound like a broken record, but can you please fix the tiny text entry boxes? They are incredibly frustrating to use for those of us who try to give meaningful commentary to the artists who support this site and they are a total nightmare for those of us telling stories or uploading poems. I promise that I will shut up if you fix this issue!

I do sincerely appreciate the fixes you have made in response to user critiques but there has been no mention of any concern from management about the text entry problems.

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2013 at 1:05 PM

Brew, as I've stated we haven't gotten to all areas of the site and it will take some time. We have noted this feedback given and will get to those areas as soon as possible.

Thanks

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2013 at 1:09 PM

Hey Brew, I forgot to add that in the meantime you can click the right corner of the box and pull it out bigger. This I know is not ideal but until we get to that, just wanted you to know that in case it helps in the meantime

brewgirlca ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2013 at 1:21 PM

I've tried that but it only works for firefox. Not work for IE

brewgirlca ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2013 at 1:24 PM

Stacey, message got truncated on my ipad. no little box shows up in IE 9 for comments or upload of text. Only shows up in forum and sitemail. 

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2013 at 2:21 PM

file_492153.png

did somebody already post this?

FaeMoon ( ) posted Sun, 03 March 2013 at 9:03 AM

I have to say this all turned out better than I thought it would.  I still like the soft blue color of 2 incarnations past, but this grey here is much better than the last version was by far.

I was downloading some items from my account page, and the white background there on the item list is a very blinding white.  Really hurts the eyes.  Could you put that on a list of things to tone down for the future?

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 05 March 2013 at 9:20 AM

I didn't think you could make the site harder to read but you've succeeded brilliantly. Why not go to white on white and make it completely impossible?  Reminds me why I don't spend much time here anymore. Good job.

FaeMoon ( ) posted Tue, 05 March 2013 at 10:16 AM

Stacy,

I noticed at work, using a version of explorer that's a few years old, and a 16 or 17 inch monitor that the page extends off the right side and the floating featured programs list is pushed over on top of the main body portion of the page instead of being fixed to the right.

grylin ( ) posted Tue, 05 March 2013 at 1:27 PM

why grey? :O :( so depressing now... im mostly on chat..... not want to be here much now :( i stilll misss the older looks............ sad

helgas ( ) posted Wed, 06 March 2013 at 11:42 AM

I switched from IE8 to Chrome - as suggested. Everything lines up and text no longer extends into neighbouring boxes.

The sad thing with Chrome is Readme files. In Chrome it is not possible to open a text file. I can't live without the Eeadme files. I have to constantly switch back and forth between IE and Chrome. This is not a productive way to shop.

Any suggestions? Can FF open text files? I never used this Browser. Which version would work best for the state Renderosity is in? 

3DGuy ( ) posted Wed, 06 March 2013 at 12:13 PM

Chrome opens text files without a problem here. Any browser should be able to do it.

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

helgas ( ) posted Wed, 06 March 2013 at 12:33 PM

This is very strange. In Chrome one can only Save a text file and not view it. Even Chrome admits that it is not possible andthat  they are working on it.I have researched the problem and at the moment there is no solution to it. You wil find post after post dealing with this problem. There is no plug-in available either.

Since I downloaded the latest version of Chrome I don't see how it is possible for you to see a text file without downloading it. There is only this one possibility available when you click on a Readme file. At the moment only pdf is supported (according to Chrome).

3DGuy ( ) posted Wed, 06 March 2013 at 12:39 PM

I don't know what to say...

I put op a readme.txt file on my own site. Chrome displays it just fine. My chrome is up-2-date according to the helpscreen (version 25.0.1364.152 m)

RHaseltine ( ) posted Wed, 06 March 2013 at 2:49 PM

You should be able to download and open in one step, at least you can with Firefox - after all you have to download it to view it in IE, too.

helgas ( ) posted Wed, 06 March 2013 at 6:51 PM

file_492316.jpg

This is the same version I have downloaded. I looked through the Settings to find  where I can create a file associaten. I couldn't find anything.

Have you tried to open a Renderosity Readme file?

helgas ( ) posted Wed, 06 March 2013 at 6:54 PM

Quote - You should be able to download and open in one step, at least you can with Firefox - after all you have to download it to view it in IE, too.

In IE I click on it and it opens. I don't have to download anything. It is instant.

I don't want to download a Readme file. What would be the purpose. I am interested in a product and would like to quickly look at the Readme. With IE it was quick and simple. 

3DGuy ( ) posted Thu, 07 March 2013 at 1:56 AM · edited Thu, 07 March 2013 at 2:03 AM

Allright, I did some digging. I clicked on a readme file of one of the products. Chrome indeed downloads the file instead of directly opening it. So does Firefox So I dug a little deeper.

It seems renderosity doesn't serve it's mime-types correctly. Mime-types tell the browser what type of file it is. When serving the readme.txt file the header tells the browser its:

Content-Type:·application/octet-stream

By default a browser doesn't show the contents of that because it's not text (or html). At least according to that header. What it should be is:

Content-Type:·text/plain

That tells the browser it's just plain text which can be displayed accordingly. Rendo needs to modify the download script so it serves the right mime-type. I suspect the current script just serves every dowload with the same header.

IE is a bit odd in this as it does display the text, but it shouldn't do that. So it's more like a bug in IE that it does.

On a side note. It appears Rendo is running apache 2.0.52. That's very old (over 8 years). That need to be upgraded ASAP because it has plenty of vulnerabilities.

Sabby ( ) posted Thu, 07 March 2013 at 7:21 AM · edited Thu, 07 March 2013 at 7:22 AM

Quote - This is very strange. In Chrome one can only Save a text file and not view it. Even Chrome admits that it is not possible andthat  they are working on it.I have researched the problem and at the moment there is no solution to it. You wil find post after post dealing with this problem. There is no plug-in available either.

Since I downloaded the latest version of Chrome I don't see how it is possible for you to see a text file without downloading it. There is only this one possibility available when you click on a Readme file. At the moment only pdf is supported (according to Chrome).

Yes in FF, you can opt to just view it rather than download & save it. ;)

Renderosity Store :: Daz3D Store :: Facebook

helgas ( ) posted Thu, 07 March 2013 at 10:24 AM

Quote - > Quote - This is very strange. In Chrome one can only Save a text file and not view it. Even Chrome admits that it is not possible andthat  they are working on it.I have researched the problem and at the moment there is no solution to it. You wil find post after post dealing with this problem. There is no plug-in available either.

Yes in FF, you can opt to just view it rather than download & save it. ;)

Thank you again Sabby. I am not happy with Chrome and I will try FF. Do the pages display correctly in FF? Otherwise I just go back to IE. 

helgas ( ) posted Thu, 07 March 2013 at 10:37 AM

Hi 3DGuy,

Thank you for everything you have done. Chrome says in their Forums that the problem is on their side and they have to make the changes. I have no deep knowledge of the protocols, headers, etc. I just read the Forums and see what the users and Chrome have to say.

I will give FF a try. From what I have read it is a more advanced Browser and has a larger user base.

What I discovered yesterday is that after the download one can view the text file in the Browser by clicking on Download. It is still necessary to go to the Directory and do a manual clean-up of the garbage collected.

grylin ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 8:16 AM

i still hate the dull,grey look....... really depressing.. i will be removing my art, one by one and closing up i thinks :(im so sorry folks!!! but thr old looks need to b backk... anywho i spose alt are happy with the dull greys, might b back soon, one day

donnena ( ) posted Mon, 11 March 2013 at 8:51 PM

Can we PLEASE fix the comment box for the Gallery?

and no, giving me the potentially functional option to make the box wider is NOT the solution.  That is NOT my job in the first place, and in the second, it does NOT resolve the issue that the text box is too tall to begin with.

This whole experiment seems very amatureish!   Surely that's not the message Renderosity wants to convey!

;>

Andy!

marciz ( ) posted Sun, 14 April 2013 at 10:13 AM

O.k> I get the impression the site is a work in progress.

but like many things in the digital world lately, I must ask;

why was the change NECESSARY?

The old site worked quite well.

Searches reveal long text lists; I assume that's going to go back to thumbnails of the products.  Who has time to search lists? NOT ME.

(Here's a clue for you; I hate Windows 8 !!!!  Win 7 ran beautifully...but NOOO,

those egotistical boneheads had to go and TINKER.  "Look what WE did!")

This is a commercial website.  could you not do your testing elsewhere?

This is my impression and don't take it personally...but I've just given up searching fo r product I wanted. 

M

Lyne ( ) posted Mon, 15 April 2013 at 1:22 PM

this is just SAD.... seems they don't care one whit about the majority of their users...only about "money" and while the old site had up to 3000+ visitors, this site is now so darn SLOW the minute it hits 2000....and I would bet money (!) that there are much fewer sales now... I am saving a ton of money monthly now!! I used to spend at least $100...more times up to $200+ ... now it's ONLY if something comes along I 'have' to have... so maybe spending $25 a month if that...

I hope the suits that seem to only want to "save face" and refuse to "go back" to the beautiful, pleasureable look are enjoying their "increased" (ya right) sales!

It's so sad that the dedicated family of FRIENDS who called this home have to put up with this crap. Pages turn white on me, forum postings stretch wide under the side sales vertical boxes... and the place just looks UGLY.

What a waste.

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.