Sun, Oct 6, 8:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Helping Poser Newbies

Ewers ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2013 at 11:43 AM

Sorry for not getting back in a timely matter, really busy, but thanks for everyone whose giving advice...to answer questions about my computer:

I'm using a Dell XPSz L511Z (Bought it December 2011)

2nd generation Intel Core i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz

8GB,DDR3,2 DIMM, 1333MHz

NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M 1GB graphics with Optimus

750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Service Pack 1, English, No Media

I believe I had upload all of the service packs from Smith Micro...how would I find out if I did?

basicwiz ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2013 at 1:35 PM

Quote - I believe I had upload all of the service packs from Smith Micro...how would I find out if I did?

Go to Help > About Poser.

Your build number should be 9.0.3.23 or later.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2013 at 2:28 PM · edited Wed, 30 January 2013 at 2:34 PM

Quote - Richard where do you suggest we install M5/V5 to? I thought that most Daz Genesis stuff had a proprietary location that D/S installs to. I have the DSON Importer but never installed it. I did get it when it was free.

ThanX! ;)

If you aren't wanting to use DS then, assuming it's not in Program Files, install to your main Poser Runtime (or to your DAZ Runtime if you prefer). As with Poser content, the DS files need to be in certain places within the content location (in this case the Data folder has to be alongside the actual Runtime folder), but as long as you tell Poser/DS where they are the location itself doesn't matter (again, except for Program Files under Vista and later). However, V5 and M5 are add-ons for Genesis and should ideally be installed to the same location as the Genesis Starter Essentials (I'm not sure if they actually enforce that or not).

Ewers ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2013 at 6:39 PM · edited Wed, 30 January 2013 at 6:43 PM

Mine says 9.0.3.23027

I'm getting this when I tried to upload the Genesis Character:

SystemError: NULL result without error in PyObject_Call

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2013 at 6:39 PM

Thank you Richard... see this is why I love Poser! It's so user friendly.

HugZ!
Ariana

Is there water in your future or is it being shipped away to be resold to you?
Water, the ultimate weapon...

www.futurefantasydesign.com

Ewers ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2013 at 7:06 PM

file_491200.png

This is the exact first error message :

Ewers ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2013 at 7:06 PM

file_491201.png

And this is the second one:

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2013 at 2:47 PM

Ewers - did you install the DSON Core Genesis Starter Essentials, or only the Poser Companion Files? Your problems make it sound as if you missed the core files, or didn't isntall them to a Poser external library.

Ewers ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2013 at 7:51 PM

file_491217.png

It works!! Thank you so much!! 

Ewers ( ) posted Fri, 01 February 2013 at 8:33 AM

Okay...I have one more question...was playing with my new Genesis Characters last night now that I uploaded them...but I ran into another kind of problem...

Uh...how do I properly fit clothes onto these characters? In Daz I know there's this auto fit function to do it...but how is it done in Poser? Do I have to buy a special Morph for this to work?

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 01 February 2013 at 9:40 AM

If you mean clothes not made for Genesis there isn't currently a way to convert within Poser. Clothes made for Genesis should fit, though if they don't have built-in morphs to match those used in the figure you will need to run the Scripts>DSON Support>Transfer Active Morphs script.

ArrghGrrr ( ) posted Sat, 02 February 2013 at 5:32 AM

I need help with everything.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2013 at 7:52 AM · edited Sun, 03 February 2013 at 7:52 AM

You are going to need to narrow down your issues.  Have you read the manual?

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2013 at 2:28 PM

Quote - You are going to need to narrow down your issues.  Have you read the manual?

LOL!!! I have to laugh! This is my husband. ;) I tried to help him... but I want to stay married. And not go to jail for ending my agony. :)

He is learning PP2010. He is more concerned with the fact it is a computer, and not realizing the program is a different enity.

He is reading through this thread, and getting there... slowly. But he is going to need help sooner or later.

I think he was bookmarking the thread.

Ariana

Saxon3d ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2013 at 4:07 PM

might it be an idea to put a sticky on the old material links thread, it was always easy to find when it was stickied and provides a great resource for everyone.........

basicwiz ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2013 at 4:18 PM · edited Sun, 10 February 2013 at 4:22 PM

Can you send me the link to the thread in question? It can be made sticky again!

It is going to take a while, but I'm working on this...

I'm going to post the links to as many shaders etc as I can find, hopefuilly organized, in a sticky thread. Anyone who wishes to help can sitemail me by clicking the "Report Abuse" link below. I think this will make a great resourse.

Going to do the same thing for issues like Rendering, lighting stc.

The only issue is, much of this is VERY version specific. This is going to turn into a LOT of sticky stuff if we separate it out, and be confusing as can be, esp to newbies, if we don't.

Suggestions?

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2013 at 10:00 AM

I agree... on line protocol is also something he is learning, and I am not the best teacher... I am really bad at teaching adults. Children I have all the patience in the world, but it can be taxing when you are trying to teach an adult. ;)

~A~

Steeleyes101 ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2013 at 10:59 PM

Most informative thanks much for all the info; and one does not have to be new to poser to appreciate this forum

ghardingsd ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 10:27 AM

How do I add DAZ 3D content to Poser 9? I phoned Poser and even they could not give me a straight answer. They referred me to this group. I tried everything in their help files, but that didn't work, etiher. thank you

Steeleyes101 ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 10:52 AM

Im wondering the same thing Ghardingsd.   Infact I have DAZ Studios installed but their runtime is different. 

What I mean is poser stuff goes into the Poser directory, but DAZ stuff goes into a folder in my Documents folder and I cant even figure out how to access it.

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 11:08 AM
Forum Moderator

Not totally a newbie but been away from Poser for sometime real life and all. But always stayed upto date with Poser versions as they came out so I do have PoserPro 2012 and my question is I bought several Skin merchant resources in hopes of creating my own character for V4 and there was once a tutorial on how to do this since the instructions in merchant packs are scant to say the least and was wondering if anyone had or knew of a tutorial or workflow process that I could fimilarize myself with to start this project. I do have the following tools PS CS5, Hexagon and Blender (which since 2.5 is not as hard to learn anylonger as 2.49 ever was) Silo. My goals is to create a character and model clothing for said character. Any help and info would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance I have included a screenshot of a dress I am finishing up modeled in Blender 2.65

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 4:13 PM

Quote - How do I add DAZ 3D content to Poser 9? I phoned Poser and even they could not give me a straight answer. They referred me to this group. I tried everything in their help files, but that didn't work, etiher. thank you

What do you mean - content from the DAZ store, much of which will have Poser-format files, or actual DS content such as the Genesis figure and its add-ons?

ghardingsd ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 4:48 PM

thanks. re: Quote - "How do I add DAZ 3D content to Poser 9? I phoned Poser and even they could not give me a straight answer. They referred me to this group. I tried everything in their help files, but that didn't work, etiher. thank you"

I mean I want to use Genesis figures and add some clothing and poses to them. I guess I mean DS content (what is DS, please? this is the newbie room, right ? :>)

g

Saxon3d ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 6:32 AM

To use Genesis in Poser you will need to use the Dson importer from Daz3d.

http://www.daz3d.com/dson-importer-for-poser

This was offered as a freebie some time back, but is now only free if you purchase $20 worth of Dson extras. DS is Daz Studio

This thread might shed some light on how to use it

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2857786&page=1

There is also a thread over at Daz3d in the commons.

Hope that helps

Janl ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2013 at 9:44 PM · edited Sun, 24 February 2013 at 9:44 PM

Quote - Alright I was able to make the dials visible but I can't actually make any changes to them.  I try to scroll them, and they stay at zero?  Anything I can do to fix this or am I stuck?

This is a question from earlier in the thread and I didn't see an answer. If I missed it then I apologise.

If the dials stay at zero when trying to move them, double click on the dial and check its Min Limit and Max Limit. If they both say zero then change them to something like Min = -100000.000000 and Max = 100000.000000. These numbers are the defaults. You should then be able to move the dials.

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2013 at 11:15 PM

Quote - > Quote - Alright I was able to make the dials visible but I can't actually make any changes to them.  I try to scroll them, and they stay at zero?  Anything I can do to fix this or am I stuck?

This is a question from earlier in the thread and I didn't see an answer. If I missed it then I apologise.

If the dials stay at zero when trying to move them, double click on the dial and check its Min Limit and Max Limit. If they both say zero then change them to something like Min = -100000.000000 and Max = 100000.000000. These numbers are the defaults. You should then be able to move the dials.

Be careful tho. Some parameters get very sensitive when tweaked and can give some bad results that will in some rare cases cannot be removed, then you have to reload from the start. I have found from personal experience that changing them to...

...and starting from there is a better way to go. With apologies 100000.0000 +/- is way to high.

Start small and add small for better control.

Ariana

Janl ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2013 at 11:27 PM · edited Sun, 24 February 2013 at 11:38 PM

The min and max figures just limit how far you can turn the dials and don't effect the mesh until the dials are turned.

If you turn them full on then it would be undesirable but the Poser defaults give the full range of movement. I could have used any number but I choose to use the Poser defaults. It depends on what you want. Sometimes I just set them to -1 and 1 with Force Limits which is sufficient for some things but then the user can't turn them any further should they wish unless they change the min and max themselves.

Janl ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2013 at 11:30 PM

Attached Link: Creating Textures for Poser Pro

> Quote - Not totally a newbie but been away from Poser for sometime real life and all. But always stayed upto date with Poser versions as they came out so I do have PoserPro 2012 and my question is I bought several Skin merchant resources in hopes of creating my own character for V4 and there was once a tutorial on how to do this since the instructions in merchant packs are scant to say the least and was wondering if anyone had or knew of a tutorial or workflow process that I could fimilarize myself with to start this project. I do have the following tools PS CS5, Hexagon and Blender (which since 2.5 is not as hard to learn anylonger as 2.49 ever was) Silo. My goals is to create a character and model clothing for said character. Any help and info would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance I have included a screenshot of a dress I am finishing up modeled in Blender 2.65

Very good dress. :)

I'm not sure what skin merchant resource you have but this tutorial may be of use:

http://poser.smithmicro.com/tutorials/textures.html

Janl ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2013 at 11:32 PM

Attached Link: Training & Tutorials

For Poser beginners (and more advanced Poser users) there are some good tutorials, including webinars, on the Smith Micro site at:

http://poser.smithmicro.com/training.html

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2013 at 8:47 AM

Quote - The min and max figures just limit how far you can turn the dials and don't effect the mesh until the dials are turned.

If you turn them full on then it would be undesirable but the Poser defaults give the full range of movement. I could have used any number but I choose to use the Poser defaults. It depends on what you want. Sometimes I just set them to -1 and 1 with Force Limits which is sufficient for some things but then the user can't turn them any further should they wish unless they change the min and max themselves.

No disrespect, I was only adding from my own experience. :)

Ariana

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2013 at 9:06 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote - Thank you as to skin resources I have a couple for V4 and Jessi G2 I know V4 is the reigning queen in character creations but had considered working on items and a character form someone other than V4. I appreciate the link you posted and will review in hopes that it answers my questions as to how to set up the new skin resources and then work on customizing my character from there.  

Thanks again

Quote - Not totally a newbie but been away from Poser for sometime real life and all. But always stayed upto date with Poser versions as they came out so I do have PoserPro 2012 and my question is I bought several Skin merchant resources in hopes of creating my own character for V4 and there was once a tutorial on how to do this since the instructions in merchant packs are scant to say the least and was wondering if anyone had or knew of a tutorial or workflow process that I could fimilarize myself with to start this project. I do have the following tools PS CS5, Hexagon and Blender (which since 2.5 is not as hard to learn anylonger as 2.49 ever was) Silo. My goals is to create a character and model clothing for said character. Any help and info would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance I have included a screenshot of a dress I am finishing up modeled in Blender 2.65

Very good dress. :)

I'm not sure what skin merchant resource you have but this tutorial may be of use:

http://poser.smithmicro.com/tutorials/textures.html

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Janl ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2013 at 9:36 AM

Quote - > Quote - Thank you as to skin resources I have a couple for V4 and Jessi G2 I know V4 is the reigning queen in character creations but had considered working on items and a character form someone other than V4. I appreciate the link you posted and will review in hopes that it answers my questions as to how to set up the new skin resources and then work on customizing my character from there.  

Many skin resources also come in PSD layers with different eye shadows and lipstick etc on different layers. The most important thing when using them is to set your document to the correct size. It should say in the ReadMe for the MR what size they were created for. In this case you would set up a document in the correct size in Photoshop and then drag and drop the layers from the merchant resource onto your new document. I'm sure there used to be tutorials for this but I can't seem to find any at the moment.

You may also wish to mix techniques buy using the first tutorial for the base skin if your merchant resource consists of a collection of photographs and then add the makeup layers by dragging and dropping the merchant resource layers on to the base skin.

Have fun experimenting. :)

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2013 at 9:46 AM
Forum Moderator

There use to be and I know it is still available on ShareCg the following tutorial "How to Create your own Beauty"  But some if not much of the information in the tutorial is a tad dated think it was orginally posted some 5 years ago. That is why I wondered if anyone had done anything more current

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

soften ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 10:03 AM

Hi all.... this is my first day...

i got a very basic question.

How can i used other character / download other character.... I'm not sure whether i could customized a character within poser or if i got to utilized other software package...

I saw a lot of clothing,stuff for characters (V4, etc), but i do not have the basic figures.... may i know where i could start at....

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 10:54 AM

Victoria 4 is available from DAZ3D http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-2-base . Many characters also need the Morphs++ set for the body shape, though they are perfectly usable with just the default body shape (head shapes are more likely to be self-contained) http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-2-morphs .

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sun, 10 March 2013 at 11:23 AM

V4.2, which is the most updated is on sale for the starter bundle which has your morphs and your base, plus a few odds and ends. http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-2-complete  for very cheap at Daz. I also reccomend the Muscle Morphs... but that is maybe for later.

Ariana

Misangelic ( ) posted Tue, 12 March 2013 at 8:47 PM

My apologies if this question has been asked or answered elsewhere, but I'm wondering if there's a way in Poser to select multiple material zones and apply a texture to all of them in one go.

In DS, if I want to apply a skin texture to my model I go to the surfaces tab, select all the body parts with a 1 next to them (excluding eyebrow) and then add the face texture to the diffuse channel. All four body parts textured in one go, nice and easy.

I see the same numerical system in place in Poser's material room, but I can't seem to select multiple items, so I have to waste time by selecting each body part individually, apply texture and move on to the next body part. In DS to select multiple items you hold the shift key, so maybe it's just a different key in Poser.

The exhiliration of obscenity, the obscenity of obviousness, the obviousness of power, the power of simulation... ravishing Hyperrealism... mind blowing!

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 12 March 2013 at 10:13 PM

file_492568.jpg

misan, not  good idea to use above on human figures, but it's similar to your request.

Misangelic ( ) posted Tue, 12 March 2013 at 10:37 PM · edited Tue, 12 March 2013 at 10:38 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Thank you very much for the reply, Miss Nancy.

Just so I'm not being misunderstood -as I'm not always the best at explaining things-  in the above image I've selected four material zones that all use the face texture, which has then been browsed for and selected as the diffuse channel image for all four zones. Is there really no way to do the same thing in Poser? It seems that using the shift button and clicking to select multiple items is a basic function of many programs. I'd have thought it would be included in something such as Poser.

The exhiliration of obscenity, the obscenity of obviousness, the obviousness of power, the power of simulation... ravishing Hyperrealism... mind blowing!

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 12 March 2013 at 10:46 PM

Really no such way currently within Poser. 

Misangelic ( ) posted Tue, 12 March 2013 at 11:48 PM

Quote - Really no such way currently within Poser. 

Thanks, hborre.

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 13 March 2013 at 5:57 AM

Quote - Not totally a newbie but been away from Poser for sometime real life and all. But always stayed upto date with Poser versions as they came out so I do have PoserPro 2012 and my question is I bought several Skin merchant resources in hopes of creating my own character for V4 and there was once a tutorial on how to do this since the instructions in merchant packs are scant to say the least and was wondering if anyone had or knew of a tutorial or workflow process that I could fimilarize myself with to start this project. I do have the following tools PS CS5, Hexagon and Blender (which since 2.5 is not as hard to learn anylonger as 2.49 ever was) Silo. My goals is to create a character and model clothing for said character. Any help and info would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance I have included a screenshot of a dress I am finishing up modeled in Blender 2.65

I am sure there are many free tutorials out there to cover this but I am afraid I have not used them.  What I can recommend is the Digital Taylor tutorials by Fugazi1968 available there at Rendo.  The videos use Silo as the modelling program and I find them easy to follow.  Being able to have the video in one window and Silo in another so you can compare the progress and make sure your model looks like the one in the turtorial is very helpful.

Another one would be 'Poser from Beginner to Advanced' by Fugazi1968 and Ironman13.  It is a bit expensive but it covers many aspects of Poser, something I wish was around when I started Poser, and it is for the latest version of Poser which is important as some of the free tutorials are now getting a bit dated (but fine, of course, if you are running an earlier version of Poser.

I have no connection with either vendor other than being a very happier purchaser of a large number of products by both vendors.   I have learnt a great deal from the tutorials and find I learn far more from this method than reading books or manuals.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Janl ( ) posted Wed, 13 March 2013 at 11:40 AM · edited Wed, 13 March 2013 at 11:42 AM

Quote -

Thank you very much for the reply, Miss Nancy.

Just so I'm not being misunderstood -as I'm not always the best at explaining things-  in the above image I've selected four material zones that all use the face texture, which has then been browsed for and selected as the diffuse channel image for all four zones. Is there really no way to do the same thing in Poser? It seems that using the shift button and clicking to select multiple items is a basic function of many programs. I'd have thought it would be included in something such as Poser.

The Advanced Material Manager by Semidieu is a python script which allows multiple material editing. 

I would love to see a revamp of the material room so this is possible without anything additional though.

Misangelic ( ) posted Wed, 13 March 2013 at 2:05 PM

Thank you very much for the info and link, Janl.

I think Advanced Material Manager may be a little more than I need at the moment, but it's good to know multiple material editing has been included for Poser. Even if it is via a script. I'd also like to see it implemented into the materail room by Smith Micro at some point. Presently, what takes me minutes to do in Poser I can have done in seconds in Daz.

Janl ( ) posted Wed, 13 March 2013 at 2:31 PM · edited Wed, 13 March 2013 at 2:35 PM

I'm not sure if you have already discovered this but what I do is to right click on the Poser Surface tab, select Select All. Everything should then be selected. You can tell because all the title bars of the nodes will be highlighted. Right click again and then select Copy. Now use the drop down menu to select each body part with this material. Click on the Poser Surface again, right click and then select paste. It's not ideal but at least it saves setting up identical materials on each body part each time. :)

Edit to add: after you have done the above shift click on the button that says Remove Detached Nodes. This will remove any loose nodes left behind by the old material.

Misangelic ( ) posted Wed, 13 March 2013 at 4:42 PM

Thanks again, Janl. That sounds like a good idea. Very helpful of you :thumbupboth:

Janl ( ) posted Wed, 13 March 2013 at 5:25 PM

Glad to help. :)

I am really hoping the next version of Poser will make the material room easier to use for setting up materials. Being able to alter multiple materials at the same time will be a big improvement for me at least. :)

RLSprouse ( ) posted Mon, 18 March 2013 at 4:54 PM

Hi All:

I am fairly new to 3D CG, and up to now I've just used purchased models and an occasional primitive to use for a backgound or such.  I'd like to get into making my own things.  I know that to make complex models I need to learn a modeling program such as Silo or Blender.  But I'd like to start with something very simple.

I'd like to make a simple room I can place my figures into.  Just a plain room, with maybe a door on one wall, and a window on another wall, for visual interest.  I'd like to have moulding, maybe an optional wainscott, maybe texture the walls with wallpaper, and have either tiles or wooden flooring on the walls.

Is this something that can be easily done in Poser, or am I better of going straight into something like Silo?  I have a copy of Silo and some tutorials, if that is the best way to go.  If this can be done in Poser, can anyone point me to any tutorials or other information that would help me do this?

Thanks for any advice,

~ Russ  

basicwiz ( ) posted Mon, 18 March 2013 at 9:12 PM

Poser is just that: a program for Posing scenes.

Content creation must be done in a modelling program. I have personally tried most of those available at low/no cost. Of the group, Wing3d seems to be the most understandable to me, although my efforts with it have come to nothing so far.

I'm sure that some of the folks who have had success with modelling will chime in and make some good suggestions.

Saxon3d ( ) posted Tue, 19 March 2013 at 2:53 PM

I would follow a few of the silo basic box modelling tutorials, and try to create initially just one prop to use in your scene, A nice moulding would be a good starter project and needs very basic skills to undertake, but don't underestimate a simple model. It's textures will only be as good as the UV map attached to it, sometimes a PIG to get right on a simple prop. Build your room one piece at a time, be happy with each bit before moving on to the next and you will pick it up in no time.  My tuppence worth.......

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.