Thu, Sep 19, 3:55 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Luxus Luxrender plugin for Carrara alpha release out

3Drendero ( ) posted Thu, 11 April 2013 at 5:16 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 9:24 AM

Check out the news here:

http://carraracafe.com/luxus-alpha-released-luxrender-plugin-for-carrara/

GKDantas ( ) posted Thu, 11 April 2013 at 5:24 PM

Man you are fast!

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

EddyMI ( ) posted Fri, 12 April 2013 at 2:12 AM

Thumbs up!

Live Long and Prosper

3Drendero ( ) posted Sat, 13 April 2013 at 12:01 PM · edited Sat, 13 April 2013 at 12:06 PM
Kixum ( ) posted Sun, 14 April 2013 at 3:26 AM · edited Sun, 14 April 2013 at 3:28 AM

file_493559.jpg

It's an interesting discussion and the sample image that's posted is also interesting.

For fun, I thought I'd do my own Carrara version to see what I could come up with.

If you look closely at the Carrara image over in the Carraracafe thread, the lighting uses buffered soft shadows and has several light sources employed.  From the way it looks, it doesn't employ GI at all.

The image I'm posting here has two lights (which I believe is more similar to the Luxrender.

Kinda interesing stuff.  One thing I'd like to know is what the render times for the Luxrender are like.

-Kix

3Drendero ( ) posted Sun, 14 April 2013 at 8:39 AM

Render times are much longer in Luxrender, but you also get to change a lot of the lighting while rendering. In the example above you can turn off the desk light light completely, while rendering or even after finishing.

Luxrender also outputs HDR images.

Carrara vs Luxrender can probably be debated forever, like in other forums that have battling unbiased vs biased renderers. I just see it as an alternative tool that has some benefits and some disadvantages.

Kixum, try your new scene in Luxrender, I'm guessing the results will be similar...

Kixum ( ) posted Mon, 15 April 2013 at 6:08 AM

Well said.

Let me be clear here that I'm glad to see that Luxrender is becoming a part of Carrara.  When Carrara expands itself, we (the user community) benefit.  I have dreams that someday, Carrara will become a package that will be used in a much larger professional community.  The only way for that to happen is if Carrara can do more things that can serve the needs of more users.

I will try my scene in Luxrender but I will wait for it to go beyond beta.  It sounds very early to be making practical comparisons just yet.  The translation of materials sounds like it has a few miles to go.

I am very much looking forward to it!

My main goal of this post was to see if I could produce something that looked similar to the Luxrender example posted over at the using the Carrara engine (and the result I cooked up was interesting).

Im anxious to see more of everything!

-Kix

3Drendero ( ) posted Wed, 17 April 2013 at 10:13 AM

Huge update again, lots of materials added:
http://carraracafe.com/luxus-luxrender-plugin-for-carrara-beta-released/

Kixum, I think the plan is to release a first version without auto material conversion, since that function takes a lot of time to develop and Carrara users are used to work with shaders.

3Drendero ( ) posted Wed, 17 April 2013 at 10:37 AM

Attached Link: http://carraracafe.com/luxus-luxrender-plugin-for-carrara-beta-released/

Another release today, the update is a stable save/load function for future updates, so you should be able to start saving files now already, that should work with the stable version.

http://carraracafe.com/luxus-luxrender-plugin-for-carrara-beta-released/

3Drendero ( ) posted Thu, 18 April 2013 at 12:29 PM

Attached Link: http://carraracafe.com/luxus-luxrender-plugin-for-carrara-beta-released/

Minor update today, the HDRI file link was missing (infinite light).

Same download link as usual.

GKDantas ( ) posted Thu, 18 April 2013 at 2:47 PM

Great! Thanks!

3Drendero ( ) posted Fri, 19 April 2013 at 9:23 AM

Major update today:

jt411 ( ) posted Fri, 19 April 2013 at 12:05 PM

file_493732.jpg

I posted this in the DAZ forums, but I'll run this by you guys too while I'm at it.

Is anybody having an issue with LUX not accepting UV coordinates out of Carrara?

I rebuilt each shader tree before exporting to Lux; went with the Lux Matte material with the corresponding texture map plugged into the color channel, but something's obviously off.

I shut Lux off after 2 hours; the Carrara render took one minute forty-three seconds. (In case anybody's wondering!)

GKDantas ( ) posted Fri, 19 April 2013 at 12:48 PM

I have issues with objects with multiple shade domains. like Victoria... all render as a white material. Any idea??

JT411 this look amazing! Need to setup more in light inside Luxrender to get better results yet.

jt411 ( ) posted Fri, 19 April 2013 at 7:17 PM

Hi GK,

Yeah, I can't get V4 to work either; just renders plain white.

I'm not sure if I'm just missing a step or two, or maybe there is an issue with UV export. (At least concerning Poser content)

GKDantas ( ) posted Fri, 19 April 2013 at 9:27 PM

file_493746.jpg

Got it to render but need to create a one texture map to the whole Vic. You can only shader the global shade, so looks it dont support multiple shade domain yet.

GKDantas ( ) posted Sun, 21 April 2013 at 5:33 PM

file_493840.jpg

Here some tests with my scene.

1 - The first image is only a load and render test, just some adjustments in Luxrender at all.

2 - Second one is using some Luxrender shaders already with textures (not all scene, Vic dont have any change in shaders yet)

3 - Third is the same scene with an Infinite light (using HDRI image).

Look very very good so far, the only strange thing is those sparkles with HDRI, but I think is something with Luxrender that I need to understand. Note that the second and third images are the same I just turned off the Infinite light to get a image without have to restart everything again.

Some things that I really didnt know is about how Bump maps work in Lux, I see the Bump map slot but no slider to set the deeph. The same thing for Alpha channel, but I think is something that will be implemented later.

Now is time to people start to share theyr Lux shaders so we can studie more ways to work with this new feature!

SciFiFunk ( ) posted Mon, 22 April 2013 at 3:16 AM

Well it may be a work in progress, but it IS fantastic news.

Speaking as someone who has used the DAZ version in the past I see this as another option to "get more real", and I will use what ever tool is best for that particular job.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.