Thu, Sep 19, 9:53 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:52 pm)

Subject: Why doesn't saving to prop library link to prop's geometry file?

Paloth ( ) posted Thu, 18 April 2013 at 8:28 AM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 3:58 AM

When I import an obj and convert it to a pp2 by saving to a prop folder, the pp2 contains no link to the original obj, even if the imported obj. is from a Runtime geometry folder. Poser copies the obj. data to the pp2 and forgets about the original obj. If it is important to link your pp2s to an obj. in the geometry folder, why doesn't Poser do this as the default?

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 18 April 2013 at 8:45 AM

Well, you have to manually adjust the prop file to point to the geometry. Geometry Stripper does this automatically. Poser was never set up to link to prop geometry. Still isn't, tho it should be.

Laurie

Paloth ( ) posted Thu, 18 April 2013 at 9:07 AM

If I were to do this as a hack, I would need to link the pp2 to the obj. file and strip out all of the obj data, I guess. The one clear advantage is that I could modify and replace the prop geometry and have the changes appear without having to recreate the prop. There might be a smaller file size for pz3s containing multiple "instances" as well.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

chris1972 ( ) posted Thu, 18 April 2013 at 2:27 PM

I would definantly recommend a tool for this, you can have hundreds of lines that need to be deleted. Demision 3d has tools that will do this although it has been my experience that I still need to manually point to just one obj file if I have multiple instances. Once youve done it a few times its not that bad.

Paloth ( ) posted Sat, 20 April 2013 at 11:45 PM

Geometry Stripper works great, but it links to an obj. in the Prop folder. Is it "correct" to have geometry in the prop fold instead of the geometry folder.

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 21 April 2013 at 12:12 AM · edited Sun, 21 April 2013 at 12:14 AM

Delete the embedded geometry out of the .pp2 file and paste the external geometry info in, including the path to geometries. Read this...

http://www.cocs.com/poser/props2.htm

or this...

http://forum.runtimedna.com/archive/index.php/t-721.html

Make sure the edited .pp2 is pointing to your referenced geometries folder.

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 21 April 2013 at 12:20 AM

"Is it "correct" to have geometry in the prop fold instead of the geometry folder."

I've seen it before, if it works (and that's where Poser is looking) then I suppose that's all that matters. Might be confusing for others, distributed or shared .pp2's should reference external .obj's in the geometries folder for uniformities sake I'd say.

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 21 April 2013 at 12:29 AM

...Being that you already used geometry stripper you can probably just edit the file path lines of the resultant .pp2 to point at geometries/your folder and forego the other steps.

Paloth ( ) posted Sun, 21 April 2013 at 12:52 AM

Ok, thanks. I will move the geo and edit the path lines.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 21 April 2013 at 8:27 AM · edited Sun, 21 April 2013 at 8:28 AM

Yes, for freebies half the time I leave the obj file in the prop folder because I'm lazy or in a hurry....lol. But on a good day I just shove it in Geometries and then edit the path in the prop file ;). I used Notepad++ which will change the path between multiple props text files at once if the path is the same.

Laurie

kimbersue ( ) posted Mon, 29 April 2013 at 9:04 PM

I have a couple of questions about Geometry Stripper. I'm using philc PZ3editor which as the Strip embedded geometry feature.

I've made a dress obj for Miki 4. I want to offer it as a freebie here at renderosity but I need help figure out the runtime file.

The dress obj is not rigged but I want people to be able to get the obj file to edit if that way. These dress is a start kit and I allow people to use or edit and use the dress to make their own clothing to sell.

I import the dress and save as a prop. It can then be reloaded to fit Miki 4 zero pose from the prop folder.

I was in the chat and go some good advice but want to be clear on a few things.

I was told to use a Geometry Stripper and so the orginial obj would be linked to in the Geometry folder. I use the same file and folder name in the Geometry folder as the prop folder.  That fine but I'm find the Geometry folder both inside and outside the libraries fold. Which should the Geometry folder be.  Inside the runtime libraries folder or outside the libraries fold but inside the runtime folder?

Next. How does someone get the obj out of the Geometry folder? Should I tell them to export as an dress Object or the location of the file. 

If I decide to add a uv map, where would I put that.

Thank you for any advice
Kimberly

3D Artist Network  by Imaginative 3D: Where the “i” in “imaginative” stands for the individual” 3D artists showing off their creative designs.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Mon, 29 April 2013 at 10:38 PM

Unless it's changed, Geometries is directly under Runtime i.e. RuntimeGeometries.

I don't know if there's a standard location for the templates (uv maps). IIRC I've sometimes seen them in with the texture though, putting it in the same folder as the .obj seems logical as well - but that's just what seems logical to me :-)  

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

kimbersue ( ) posted Tue, 30 April 2013 at 7:42 AM

Quote - Unless it's changed, Geometries is directly under Runtime i.e. RuntimeGeometries.

I don't know if there's a standard location for the templates (uv maps). IIRC I've sometimes seen them in with the texture though, putting it in the same folder as the .obj seems logical as well - but that's just what seems logical to me :-)  

Thanks  I'll use that Runtime > Geometries and the uv map in textures.

3D Artist Network  by Imaginative 3D: Where the “i” in “imaginative” stands for the individual” 3D artists showing off their creative designs.

shante ( ) posted Wed, 01 May 2013 at 1:04 PM

That's strange. I have never had this problem in either P4 or P7. I import 3ds and obj files into poser, resize them, texture them and parent them to figures as needed and then save them in a library in Poser and recall them as needed and have never had to relink them to the original obj or 3d file.

However i have a nightmare of problems opening and and recalling files saved to the library when pz3 files were stupidly saved with an accompanying pmd file and the pmd file was deleted. I turned that damn option off and since i have no further problems with it. But from time to time I find a file saved this way i want to rework, that wants some obj file that is nowhere to be found. When I said to not look for it, it did not open it but I later found the needed obj file entitled same as the file i was trying to open floating around in the Poser folder on my hard drive. So now I just point Poser to that whenever I have problems with opening  library character requesting a similarly named obj file.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 01 May 2013 at 3:07 PM · edited Wed, 01 May 2013 at 3:09 PM

shante: Poser has always done embedded props, but I think what kimbersue means is why doesn't it link to an object file instead? If you strip the mesh info from an embedded prop file and create an object and then link that object to the prop/file, you have a much leaner and less resource intensive prop ;). Poser does not do this automagically unfortunately. You have to either use Geometry Stripper to do it or gasp do it by hand.

Laurie

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.