Sun, Sep 22, 4:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: Poser Pro 2014

shannonsuzanne ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2013 at 11:05 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 4:38 AM

For those of you more used to getting Poser and updates from SmithMicro....and to those that have downloaded Pro 2014....how do I back it up?  The content manager file was pretty snazzy and made installation much easier thatn 7 for me, but normally you get zip files.  Do you simply take the whole folder the manager put the raw files into and save that as well as the download manager app for future installations?  I have done this, but I'm not sure that is what I need to do.  

I did buy their extended download, but it didn't say when it expired.  

Also, all my runtimes are pretty much external except for the default conent, which I put into the actual Poser runtime...I want to know if the content I received with PRO 2012 is also included with PRO 2014?  If I like 2014 and it works well I'd like to uninstall PRO 2012 because my disc drive is almost full :)  I just don't want to lose any of the basic content that maybe is cool, but not included again.    Or will the runtime stay if I uninstall the program?  

This is the first time I'm dealing with this because I redid all my runtimes with purchased content when I stopped using Poser 7 and Stuido last year...I gave each thing a runtime..like V4, Clothes, etc.  

Thank you in advance :)  

wimvdb ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2013 at 11:16 AM

The folder containing the downloads has all the setup files you need for poser.

If you backup that folder you can reinstall at any time. The installers in the folder are regular poser installers, you do not need the download manager to execute them

After you have installed them, the files are moved into the installed folder in that download location. Before they are installed (if you use the download manager) they are locatied in their own folder (/SmithMicroDLM/PSXP or PSXF)

shannonsuzanne ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2013 at 11:39 AM

Quote - After you have installed them, the files are moved into the installed folder in that download location. Before they are installed (if you use the download manager) they are locatied in their own folder (/SmithMicroDLM/PSXP or PSXF)

Cool.  That answers my question about back up.  Thank you :)  

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 27 May 2013 at 5:57 AM

I installed the lot using hard disk space, then backed up onto external media.  

I believe the extended download service covers us for 2 years.  You can always pay for an annual extension after that, as I have done in the past.  External media can also corrupt, as I have found to my dismay.

Eternal Hobbyist

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 27 May 2013 at 6:12 AM

The ccntent of PP2012 is included in the PP2014 content files.

Just take all the installers, and back them up on a DVD or USB for future installations.
I also add a little txt file with my serial numbers.

I have had problems in the past where I could find the installers again, but, oh, oh, where did I put my serial numbers.. . . . So I add a little txt file now.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

shannonsuzanne ( ) posted Mon, 27 May 2013 at 8:22 AM

Yes.  I have put mine on a cloud drive but will also make a DVD too.  I just took my 2012 runtime folder and copied it into the new one and instead of overwriting anything I said no do not copy.  That way all my shaders and anything else I may have forgotten about copied over.  I think I can safely uninstall 2012 now :). Thanks everyone.

icprncss2 ( ) posted Mon, 27 May 2013 at 8:35 AM

Extended download is two years from date of purchase.  If you EDS expires, you can purchase another two years from CP.

I suppose I'll have to send an email to FastSpring to ask if EDS is renewable.

Too bad they no longer sell back up disks.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.