Tue, Sep 24, 8:16 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 6:31 am)

Subject: Using point at eyes on camera

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Fri, 07 June 2013 at 9:53 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 6:22 AM

One little issue that i've been having with pointing a figures eyes at the main camera. They usually don't look at the camera, and get kinda messed up, like either looking in one direction too far or the eyes actually disappearing making my character look like they came out an exorcist movie. It's a simple process, so i can't understand why it's not working as it should be.

Can applying morphs and expressions mess it up? Sometimes i use it after i apply everything to get my character to look at the camera.

This is in Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1.

aRtBee ( ) posted Fri, 07 June 2013 at 10:15 PM

could be the result of combining PointAt at an independantly moving camera, eyes which are parented to the head, and positioning using poses and expressions. Don't know for sure.

But I do things slightly different and I never have this issue (any more) so my approach might be of some help: I introduce a new object (EyeTarget, a lowres ball will do), make it invisible for rendering etc, make the eyes PointAt it and parent it to the figures head as well. Now I get focused eyes, but not restricted to the camera. Figures look better when they look slightly aside the cam.

When I want the eyes focused on something nearby (in the hands near the body eg) I use separate Left/Right-eye targets, parented to the main one but slightly set aside a bit, to avoid cross-eyes.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 07 June 2013 at 10:24 PM

Point both eyes at a ball, and move the ball a bit behind the camera....is also handy for moving both eyes at once. Just move the ball ;).

Laurie

Netherworks ( ) posted Fri, 07 June 2013 at 10:28 PM

Yeah what Laurie said.  And if its still going wonky, it may be because the center of each eyeball is not actually center of the eye mesh OR more importantly the end points are not facing you on the x-Axis when the figure is at zero pose.

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Fri, 07 June 2013 at 10:29 PM

Great ideas! Thanks for the tips guys! This forum never fails me =)

Will be using that technique on my next render.

Cage ( ) posted Fri, 07 June 2013 at 11:12 PM

file_495084.txt

I point all of my figures' eyes at this little crosshairs geometry.  It's lightweight and I've found it easier to locate and drag around in a complex scene than a more generic primitive.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

JoePublic ( ) posted Sat, 08 June 2013 at 12:21 AM · edited Sat, 08 June 2013 at 12:24 AM

file_495090.JPG

I found the "point at" function too wonky.

Instead I built some ERC eye controls using the Dependency Editor for all my figures. The "squint" control makes it especially easy to focus.

There is also something similar in freestuff, but it needs your figures to have DAZ injection channels.

PhilC ( ) posted Sat, 08 June 2013 at 3:25 AM

It is the eye end points that are messing you up. Use the joint editor to ensure that they are infront of the eye, the default will be beside the eye.

"Point At" lines up the origin and end point with the point at object.

flibbits ( ) posted Sat, 08 June 2013 at 10:38 PM

"Instead I built some ERC eye controls using the Dependency Editor for all my figures. The "squint" control makes it especially easy to focus."

Please explain this.

JoePublic ( ) posted Sun, 09 June 2013 at 12:18 AM

"Please explain this"

You need to right click on the head tab and select "create new master parameter"

Then you use the dependency editor to link the eye movements to the new dials: Both left, both right, and inward/outward.

JoePublic ( ) posted Sun, 09 June 2013 at 2:23 AM · edited Sun, 09 June 2013 at 2:24 AM

"It is the eye end points that are messing you up. Use the joint editor to ensure that they are infront of the eye, the default will be beside the eye."

Thank you for that info, Phil. I never investigated why "point at" didn't always work as expected.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.