Thu, Oct 3, 2:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Freestuff

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, RedPhantom, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Freestuff F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 6:00 pm)

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum. The Freestuff Forum is intended for all  freestuff related postings within our community. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review, announce and give feedback in greater detail on various freestuff items offered.  Members can also post wishes of freestuff items they would like to see.

Notice: Links to offsite 'For Sale' items will be removed

Renderosity Free Stuff Area

Free Stuff Gallery

Free Stuff Guidelines

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Tileable Mail Textures 7-9 (Scale)

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Mon, 20 February 2012 at 8:04 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 12:20 PM

file_478728.jpg

Available in the Freestuff here at [ http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=67528](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=67528)

This is my third release in a series of mail textures. The release contains three seperate mails, inventively called 'Scale01', 'Scale02', and 'Scale03'. You've guessed - this time it's actally scale armour. (We won't get into that "but scale isn't mail", "yes it is", "no it isn't" argument)

Scale 01: A pointed scale, based on memories of movies when I was a kid!

Scale 02: A rounded scale, based on a Japanese 'gyorin kozane' scale armour.

Scale 03: A flat, oblong scale based on Roman 'Lorica squamata'

Each mail texture consists of four 512x512 PNG images - texture, bump/displacement, normals, and ambient occlusion.

For each mail I've also included a Poser 5 material (.mt5) file for applying the texture to any item, plus Poser 6 material collection (.mc6) files for applying the textures to Lourdes' free M3 Normans Outfit.

Similarly for DAZ|Studio users each mail has a DS3 shader preset (.dsa) file for applying the texture to any item, plus DS3 material presets (.dsa) files for applying the textures to Lourdes' free M3 Normans Outfit.

DAZ|Studio users get a few extras - some sample DS3 shader preset (.dsa) files to give an idea of the range of effects you can create, and a few DS3 shader preset (.dsa) files that simply set various tiling values. (Apologies to Poser users - no samples or tiling helpers. My eyes were beginning to ache and I decided to call it a day!)

Because scale armour has a definite orientation, I had to do a simple remap of Lourdes' M3 Norman's Tunic so that the scale orients correctly on the sleeves. All other clothing items were acceptable with the original mapping. I've included the remapped tunic OBJ, and an edited CR2 that uses it. I'm 99.9% certain this is in accordance with the 'derivative' part of the license terms for Lourdes' original model, waiting for that final 0.1% confirmation!

As always, please take a look at the readme.

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.
And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Mon, 20 February 2012 at 8:11 PM · edited Mon, 20 February 2012 at 8:18 PM

file_478729.jpg

The textures are all seamless and tileable, so they can be applied to anything you can think of.

Although the textures themselves are seamless, you will see mismatches across the UV-mapping seams for the item you've textured - that's an unavoidable effect of using tiled textures on UV-mapped objects.

Since scale has a definite orientation you may find that the scales on part of the item are running the wrong way. Again that's an unavoidable effect of using tiled textures on UV-mapped objects.

If your item has multiple material zones/UV map islands you may find that the scale is much smaller on parts of the object. You can adjust this by changing the tiling amount on selected areas.

And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Mon, 20 February 2012 at 8:19 PM · edited Mon, 20 February 2012 at 8:23 PM

file_478730.jpg

Don't be afraid to experiment with the materials. I've included DS3 shader presets for the four examples shown here (unfortunately I didn't get round to doing this for Poser). If you're using DAZ|Studio try out these presets and have a look at the parameters on the surfaces tab. They're nothing special - I was just playing around, and you can easily come up with better ones yourself!

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Mon, 20 February 2012 at 8:23 PM · edited Mon, 20 February 2012 at 8:26 PM

file_478732.jpg

Mustn't forget a quick example of each of the three scale types.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Tue, 21 February 2012 at 9:02 AM

If anybody's interested in making their own seamless tileable textures I've posted a step-by-step of how I did it over on the DAZ Freepozitory http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=3295095

(I didn't post the step-by-step here on Renderosity because I knew each step would require many edits, and Renderosity posts have a timeout for editing)

bobbystahr ( ) posted Tue, 21 February 2012 at 11:38 AM

great share, thanks

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Wed, 22 February 2012 at 12:46 AM

You're welcome.

P.S. Just spotted the tutorials here at Renderosity (can't believe I hadn't found them before!) When I've ironed out the bugs in the step-by-step on the DAZ forums, I'll post it here too.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Sat, 29 June 2013 at 4:41 AM

A year and a half later and I've got round to uploading the "How To Model A Seamless Tiling Texture" step-by-step here at Renderosity!

You'll find it under 'Tutorials > Blender 3D'.

MarianneR ( ) posted Sat, 29 June 2013 at 8:04 AM

Thank you! That's an interesting way to make a texture, I think. I didn't understand all of it, but then I don't know much about Blender (yet). :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.