Mon, Oct 21, 6:11 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Freestuff

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, RedPhantom, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Freestuff F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 20 8:20 pm)

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum. The Freestuff Forum is intended for all  freestuff related postings within our community. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review, announce and give feedback in greater detail on various freestuff items offered.  Members can also post wishes of freestuff items they would like to see.

Notice: Links to offsite 'For Sale' items will be removed

Renderosity Free Stuff Area

Free Stuff Gallery

Free Stuff Guidelines

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: the Dawn of a new day...

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 9:44 AM

Quote - YES! They've said many times there will be a Genesis version and a Poser version.

Laurie

So Dawn will just be another Genesis morph in DS? Wonder how i got the idea that wasn't the case? I need to go back and re-read this thread.

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 9:51 AM

No...I think she's a standalone, but still uses Genesis tech. I dunno what the DS ppl will have to do to mix her with the other shapes (if anything), because I don't know the first thing about DS. But they did say, yes...a DS version that will use the Genesis tech.

Laurie

willyb53 ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 9:55 AM

I dont think they ever said a Genisis figure, just DS4+ native.

From the second page of this thread

"We are indeed going to be releasing a native version for Poser AND a native version for DAZ Studio."

Bill

People that know everything by definition can not learn anything

vintorix ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 9:56 AM

Thank you Laurie, that was what I though. But if we go back to the beginning, I was lead to understand that the reason that Smith Micro did not want to license Genesis was excessive cost...

Do that means that HiveWire3D need to pay Daz for Dawn? Or have they found a way around it? Or has Daz waved the license fee in this case? Sorry for all questions but I am cursed with this insatiable curiosity...

in any case if Dawn can be used as a Genesis figure nothing have changed.

westonmi ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:01 AM · edited Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:05 AM

They have said that Dawn is NOT a Genesis morph.  She will come in 2 versions...1 for Poser 9+ and 1 for DS 4.5+.

Genesis is a figure not a "system".  Genesis takes advantage of DS's triax wm and can be morphed into just about anything humaiodish.  

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:08 AM

Dawn is not Genesis. There will be a native DS version, but she's not a Genesis figure.

For one thing, she has twice as many polys as Genesis.

vintorix ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:15 AM · edited Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:16 AM

Whether she is a morph or not or polycount is not crucial. The thing to ask is "is it any easier or more difficult to adapt a Genesis morph to work with Dawn rather than to V6? Can she use Genesis cloth? Do all the Genesis tools work with Dawn eg the Transfer Utility, Autofit, Smooth, UV swap, etc etc? And so on and so forth.

Kattey ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:18 AM · edited Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:25 AM

You can model and then rig your own figure with DS weightmapping system and give it TriAx rigging and it will be your figure, like Luthbel did with his Cthulhu Rising. It is just as using Poser Setup Room to make figures like Nursoda's figures.

Dawn isn't Genesis morph. It is  a standalone figure which uses (in DS) DS weightmapping/TriAx rigging.

Theoretically, as DS 4.6 now makes TriAx to TriAx autofit process possible, it is totally possible to make autofit clones from Dawn to Genesis/G2F and back. From Dawn to Genesis/G2F is easier because Genesis/G2F already have their own projection templates but from Genesis/G2F to Dawn autofit would require a person who understands autofit well and can make projection templates. But yes, it is possible. With largely more effort even V4/M4 to Dawn autofit is possible.

Transferring morphs from Genesis/V4/G2F might be possible manually via transfer utility but it might be difficult if initial pose for Dawn is much more different than other figures (because it is sort of important in this method). Of course, if Dimention3D would make Dawn-X plugin, it would probably be much more user-friendly to transfer morphs from Genesis to Dawn.

shadowhawk2zero ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:19 AM · edited Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:21 AM

Quote - Whether she is a morph or not or polycount is not crucial. The thing to ask is "is it any easier or more difficult to adapt a Genesis morph to work with Dawn rather than to V6? Can she use Genesis cloth? Do all the Genesis tools work with Dawn eg the Transfer Utility, Autofit, Smooth, UV swap, etc etc? And so on and so forth.

From the beginning they have said that Dawn will be a native figure for Poser and DS, it is NOT a genesis morph nor does it have anything to do with the genesis figure platform. They plan on offering a Dawn figure that is Rigged and weight mapped for Poser use and one that will be weightmapped and rigged for DS4+.

Faerydae ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:21 AM

Quote - I dont think they ever said a Genisis figure, just DS4+ native.

From the second page of this thread

"We are indeed going to be releasing a native version for Poser AND a native version for DAZ Studio."

Bill

Right. They said nothing about her being a Genesis shape or anything.

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:32 AM

Quote - Whether she is a morph or not or polycount is not crucial. The thing to ask is "is it any easier or more difficult to adapt a Genesis morph to work with Dawn rather than to V6?

As I understand it...DAZ didn't even make Genesis 1 compatible with Genesis 2.  I'm guessing Dawn won't be compatible with either Genesis. 

Though there may be conversion utilities for clothing and textures, as there are with Poser. 

vintorix ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:35 AM

"Dawn is NOT a Genesis morph!"

I think you misunderstood my reason to join the discussion. The reason was only that I suspect (mind you I don't know) that Dawn will work better in Daz than in Poser for various reasons so it is to early to celebrate.

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:40 AM

Quote - I think you misunderstood my reason to join the discussion. The reason was only that I suspect (mind you I don't know) that Dawn will work better in Daz than in Poser for various reasons so it is to early to celebrate.

I think the opposite: she'll end up more of a Poser figure.  Just because Poser users are looking for something that works in Poser, while DS users already have something.

In any case, I think this is the right way to go: separate figures for Poser and DS.  Otherwise, they'd be holding each other back. 

vintorix ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:42 AM · edited Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:42 AM

Whatever. The best of all is that something is happening, at last. That is a reason to celebrate!

Netherworks ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:47 AM

Dawn is an original triaX weight-mapped figure.  It is not Genesis-based.

Simply exporting a WM figure from DS does not produce an ideal figure for Poser.  The two programs have some divergent systems that the exporter does not account for.  IK is not produced, which is needed for Walk Designer/Animator support, etc.  Poser needs different scaling zones for proper scaling.  There are other touch-ups like getting nice Poser shaders on the figure for skin, SSS, etc.

They want to do this the right way so that both DS and Poser users can have an excellent figure to work with.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:50 AM

Quote - > Quote - I think you misunderstood my reason to join the discussion. The reason was only that I suspect (mind you I don't know) that Dawn will work better in Daz than in Poser for various reasons so it is to early to celebrate.

I think the opposite: she'll end up more of a Poser figure.  Just because Poser users are looking for something that works in Poser, while DS users already have something.

In any case, I think this is the right way to go: separate figures for Poser and DS.  Otherwise, they'd be holding each other back. 

I think this is what Poser users have been looking for . A V4 quality figure with good vendor support, but that takes advantage of all the Poser technology.

Kattey ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:52 AM

Quote - They want to do this the right way so that both DS and Poser users can have an excellent figure to work with.

Yes but my main concern is support. If clothes or morphs are made for Poser Dawn, will I be able to as easily and functionally use them in DS without going through loops? Or will I have to buy a specific DS version in case if it is ever made? On the opposite side: if I made clothes/morphs for Dawn in DS, will Poser user be able to use them comfortably? Because I don't have Poser and can't provide Poser testing.

CG_Cubed ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:55 AM

Ok, I better clear things up...as some have mentioned, Dawn is a stand alone figure. It is made to use the new tools and technology available in DAZ Studio 4.5 and later. Dawn has also been converted and manually massaged to work in Poser 9 or later.

What that means: For DAZ Studio users Dawn uses the auto loading of morphs and the .duf file format. She is rigged with the Tri-ax weight system in Studio. ( FYI, general weight mapping is the industry standard used in programs like maya and 3dsMax. One weight map for all three axis of rotation. Tri-ax uses one weight map per axis of rotation.)

For Poser users, Dawn uses the weight mapping available in Poser9. Poser has always had separate weights per axis even with legacy sphere zone. They just added the ability to paint the weights. 

Nekokami ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 10:59 AM

I am still puzzled about the clothing creation process for Dawn. Will everything need to be rigged twice, once in Poser, once in DS? And morphs added separately in each platform? My understanding is that the rigging and morphs take longer than the modeling (not that I would know personally). But in any case... will content creators take on the burden of creating all content for both platforms, or will we end up with a lot of content that only works in one or the other?

Dawn is a very nice looking figure, though not useful to me yet (I mostly render ethnic characters, manga, and non-humans, and about 50% of my characters are male). But to be successful, the figure will need widespread support on both software platforms, and if a creator needs to be an expert rigger in both for content to be available in both, I don't feel optimistic about Dawn's chances.

RAMWorks ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 11:05 AM

Quote - > Quote - I realize that weight mapping is NOT easy, I know for a fact actually.  BUT, when ever I do a coversion for Genesis from V4 there are now three types of weight mapping offered in DAZ Studio from what I can see....  

There are TriAx, General (what ever that is) and Parametric. 

So at this point isn't there even one of these systems that both programs share?  If so then why go to all the trouble to make two versions of the same figure?? 

Rich

I don't get this question. If the makers are willing to provide different versions of the same figure  (something DAZ should have done for Genesis, so Poser users could use it natively), then what's the problem?

What I'm saying is that if there is ONE shared weight mapping shared between both programs then only ONE version need be made of the main figure which would make it easier on content creators.

It's been mentioned many times and a great concern in all the pages I read through.  My greatest hope is that hair, shoes and clothing will have a very easy way of converting. 

I mean what about long gowns, capes, robes with long billowing sleeves??  How will they convert? 

This is an issue with converting clothing from early generations to Genesis.  The conversion process leaves NO original dress bones.  A cape is just rigged to the figure so unless it's got movement morphs it's basically useless.  I just tried converting the Sorceress to Genesis, that was a joke too because the movement bones on the skirt were gone replaced by Genesis default leg bones and the billowing long sleeves... the weight mapping was a mess on that. 

Areas like this need to be taken into consideration.  What if Phil C and EvilInnocence add support to their conversion programs, will these areas be taken into consideration??

Just putting out there concerns, nothing more.

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

hal001 ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 11:06 AM

As a customer, I don't think that you'll have to worry about conversion because Dawn's poser and DS version share the same topology, polycount, shape and rigging. That's mean that i would be rather easy for a content creator to make a DS and a poser version.

It far more difficult to make a genesis and V4 version of the same product because basically, you have to make twice the work.

You can bet that most content creator will provide installer for both version.

As paul explain (somewher in this thread) from DS you'll just have to export your conformer as a cr2 and it should work in DS.

As a content creator, it might be necessary to test it in poser for a commercial product because you may have to tweak a little the morphs and weightmaps.

Strixowl ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 11:06 AM

Quote - I think the opposite: she'll end up more of a Poser figure.  Just because Poser users are looking for something that works in Poser, while DS users already have something.

Don't be so sure about us DS users. Even us long timers. A good chunk of us aren't to  happy with DAZ's roll out with GF2 and don't plan on courting her at all. I embrace the "Dawn of a new day" and would rather put my $$$ on her. :)

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 11:07 AM · edited Mon, 01 July 2013 at 11:11 AM

I have no problem with content creators building for DS.

As a Poser user, all I need is a welded object file and a texture to take to the fitting room.

Every end user can fill in the blanks inside PP2014 with the fitting room.

Also possible in Poser 10, but it would require some more manual work and finetuning.

So?
Build for whatever app you like.
But be sure to  provide a welded object file and a texture.

You do not have to cut it up in groups either. The improved autogroup can take care of that too.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

Nekokami ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 11:08 AM

Separate suggestion:

We hear a lot about how forum posts aren't representative of market interest, and we can easily see that some voices are a lot louder than others (volume of posts, strength of opinion, name recognition, etc.) I'd really like to see a brokerage/figure maker provide two website features to help mitigate this: public polls and a Q&A feature.

Public polls allow the creators to ask a question, people can respond (one vote per person), and everyone can see the result. Let's say (to use an earlier fictional example) that the creators wonder if Dawn's legs are too long. They can put up a poll, and everyone will be able to see the results, and then the HiveWire3D team can respond and say what they plan to do based on the poll results. Very transparent.

The Q&A feature is a more efficient way of addressing questions than a forum. When someone posts a new question, the software attempts to find a matching, similar question. If the poster agrees that they are asking the same question, the two questions are linked and one response is used for both. Otherwise, a new question is generated and queued up for the site team to answer. The next person coming to the site can see a list of questions that have already been asked and answered, or are waiting on answers. I think this would generate fewer rumors, be easier for customers to use, and would help customers feel that their questions have been addressed.

Even if the answer to a customer request is "no," I really do believe that if the question is answered honestly and some reasoning given, people will accept the response and know they've been heard. My experience in forum management and global project management has led me to believe that this would reduce a lot of arguing and ill-will.

RAMWorks ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 11:14 AM

Well, I'd be interested in testing her in DAZ Studio if you guys still need some eagle eyed feedback. 

email is RAMArts44 at gmail dot com if you are.

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 11:15 AM

Sorry for the remark,  but who will provide the data in your poll???

Right, the same "forum gang". :-)
Those that come here every day;

Happy Posering
Tony

Kattey ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 11:18 AM · edited Mon, 01 July 2013 at 11:24 AM

Quote - The conversion process leaves NO original dress bones.  A cape is just rigged to the figure so unless it's got movement morphs it's basically useless.  I just tried converting the Sorceress to Genesis, that was a joke too because the movement bones on the skirt were gone replaced by Genesis default leg bones and the billowing long sleeves... the weight mapping was a mess on that.

I'm taking more on theory side because I don't know how to make autofit clones, but SickleYield shown that you can have custom bones in autofit - her/his autofitted skirts don't follow the legs. Extending this idea, you probably can have a special autofit rig for dresses that adds some basic 4-8 bones for skirt (front-back-left-right), like Wancow's rig have, instead of 4 leg-likes (thighs-shins) that we currently have. It is still not full transfer with custom bones but it could be better.

Custom bones are difficult because they aren't predictable. I can add two custom bones, I can add twenty - how you'd deal with it? If I knew how to program plugins like autofit, I'd add in template to each figure a list of figure bones, and everything that isn't from this list (like skirt bones, scarves with multiple parts) would be just proportionally scaled to an closest parent figure bone(s), along with zones of influence and repositioned slightly to some adjustment algorithm (if, say, hips of the figure are higher), but generally left unchanged.

Quote - As a customer, I don't think that you'll have to worry about conversion because Dawn's poser and DS version share the same topology, polycount, shape and rigging.

Topology/polycound/shape - yes. Rigging - no. Both are WMs, but weightmaps in DS and Poser are different (this is why all problems with Genesis import, I think). And while shapes are same, DS and Poser use different morph injection systems (dufs and pmds). So no, it won't be automatic useablility for both figures. My question is how much trouble would it be.

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 11:18 AM

Quote - But to be successful, the figure will need widespread support on both software platforms, and if a creator needs to be an expert rigger in both for content to be available in both, I don't feel optimistic about Dawn's chances.

She's the same figure on both platforms, so the idea is that she'll be easier for vendors to support in both (unlike Genesis and V4, which are two entirely different figures).

I also suspect there will a lot of collaborations, converting from one platform to the other.

But I also think it will be perfectly fine to support only one version.  That's how it is now, after all.  Some merchants support only Poser, some support only DS, some support both.

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 11:20 AM

Maybe the Hivewire team can do something on their site once it's up ;). If I have a question/concern/critique/compliment I'd go there anyway...

Laurie

AnAardvark ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 11:22 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - I thought DSON was only required for Poser for Genesis stuff.

As Dawn isn't based on Genesis, then she won't need DSON.

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

This catches out a lot of people, DSON is the coding language used in DS4.5's files and has little to do with Genesis, basically anything you save in DS4.5 as a DUF/DSF is DSON.

Just to add to the confusion, when Genesis was first released it's files were in the JSON scripting language, which is why DS4.0 content doesn't work with the DSON importer for Poser.

Actually, JSON is not a scripting language.  It stands for JavaScript Object Notation.  It works in JavaScript, which is the scripting language.  JSON is a human readable data interchange specification.  In other words, it is a way to describe data that humans can easily understand, and designed to work with JavaScript.  I believe that DSON is actually DAZ3D's own twist on JSON, with some probably proprietary features added in.  JSON is an open standard.

So, DSON is not DUF, it is rather a way to interchange the data within a DUF file to another software in a standards supported format.  That is the reason for the existence of JSON and XML, the interchange of data between disparate applications.

Dana

JSON is easier to parse from Javascript than XML, but isn't as rich in terms of ability to create nesting structures. It also doesn't have the markup capabilities, but is probably better for encapsulating text objects. I strongly suspect that there are no proprietary features added in DSON per se, but there are schema to represent DAZ and Poser data objects built up from the primitive data types.

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 11:34 AM

It's been stated over and over again, that Dawn in DS will not be Genesis. No matter how many want her to be, she wont. HiveWire3D have made their decission and that is it.

So, it comes to the fact that if she is not Genesis, then she won't be wearing Genesis clothing.

The HiveWire3D team have given us sthe info that they can about Dawn in both Poser and Studio.

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

Who honors those we love for the very life we live?, Who sends monsters to kill us?, and at the same time sings that we will never die., Who teaches us whats real?, and how to laugh at lies?, Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?, Who chains us?, and Who holds the key that can set us free... It's You!, You have all the weapons you need., Now Fight!

hal001 ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 11:35 AM

Quote - Topology/polycound/shape - yes. Rigging - no. Both are WMs, but weightmaps in DS and Poser are different (this is why all problems with Genesis import, I think). And while shapes are same, DS and Poser use different morph injection systems (dufs and pmds). So no, it won't be automatic useablility for both figures. My question is how much trouble would it be.

You know usually rigging refers to the skeleton structure and bones position : from this point of view dawn should have the same rigging in both version.

Weightmapping is the technic used to link the mesh to the bones and should be called "skinning" instead of rigging.

Anyway, poser and DS use the same skinning methods with only minor differences (mostly on the hardcoding of end point and the way the skeleton order is read by the program). They use triax weightmap.

The morph injection is different but it is quite easy to workaround : a content creator can make an morph embeded version of his product, import it in DS and then make the duf and data files in DS.

Letterworks ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 11:37 AM

I really see a problem with understanding here! 

From what I have read, since the beginning of this thread, is that Dawn will be in basically TWO NEW, INDEPENDANT figures, one rigged to work in Poser and using the poser rigging technology, AND one rigged to work in DS, using DS rigging technology. The mesh (figure shape) will be the shared with both figures.

If this is the case (and I'm pretty sure it is) then clothing made for the Poser Dawn will not be automatically usable on the DS Dawn, even though the mesh will fit the figure in both programs. Therefore vendors will have to do twice the rigging but not twice the modelling.

To me this means that there will be Poser only content creators (I fall into this catagory as I know virtually nothing about DS rigging), there will be DS only content creators, who do not know Posers rigging, and there will be content creators with the knowledge of both programs and will create versions usable in both program. I suspect even those that know both programs will offer a DS version and a seperate Poser version, but that's only speculation based on the fact that if that if they have to do the rigging twice it would be foolish not to, but who knows.

jasmineskunk ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 12:05 PM · edited Mon, 01 July 2013 at 12:06 PM

I JUST heard about this and I just want to say, !!!!! HOORAY!!!!!

:-) 

Thank you, Chris Creek.

I can't wait.

mabfairyqueen ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 12:10 PM

My best guess, based on my observations of the markets, is that most vendors who know how to rig clothes/hair in both Poser and DS will usually package the two versions together.  I think it depends on the amount of work involved and the vendors' preferences, but it seems to me that most will choose that option.  I'm also guessing that some vendors who only know how to work in one platform will take a leap of faith and try to learn at least what they need to know to convert to the other system, asking a lot of questions to be sure they do it right and getting a lot of helpful feedback and answers from the community.  There will, of course, be some that prefer to only support one platform, and that is okay. Everyone has different time constraints going on in their lives.  I think there will be an increase in tutorials around the topic of clothing conversion from one platform to the other as a result of this. 

In most cases, morphs will only need to be created once for a given clothing/hair.  They'll just need to be transfered by the various means described in this thread over to the other platform's figure version or loaded into each platform's figure version individually from the modeling program they were created in, but the morphs themselves (in most cases) will only need to be modeled/formed/created in whatever outside program they're being created in once.  It's more a case of the loading them into the figure needing to be done twice or converting them over from one platform's figure to the other, not so much a creating of the morphs themselves done twice.  Morphs to flip collars and skirts, I imagine, will be easily useable in both programs.  In most cases, it's just the setup of the morphs that needs to be done twice or converted over.  Hope my repetative babbling makes sense. 

I know some morphs are created right within DS or Poser.  Those would need one of the various conversion techniques discussed somewhere in this thread.  Most vendors, I've observed, prefer to make their morphs in an outside program, though.

I'm open to critiques or others clarifying what they know I actually mean.  This babbling seems clear to me, but one never knows.

Nekokami ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 12:16 PM

Quote - Sorry for the remark,  but who will provide the data in your poll???

Right, the same "forum gang". :-)
Those that come here every day;

Not necessarily the same people. A poll can be put on the "store pages" and people who never dive into the forum may respond. Also, a poll restricts responses to one per customer, and collates the responses for the vendor, rather than requring them to read through massive forum threads and tally who supports what. I believe 3D Universe used to do this for their Texture Converter 2 product, to decide which figures would be supported next.

RAMWorks ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 12:16 PM

Saving out morphs in DAZ Studio is very easy so that's not an issue for anyone that knows how.  Poser, I have no idea how to do that.  If I start making morphs for her (like turning her into a him) I'll have to figure that out as I'm one of those even steven types.  We shall see. 

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

OrphanedSoul ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 12:46 PM

Quote - > Quote - I think the opposite: she'll end up more of a Poser figure.  Just because Poser users are looking for something that works in Poser, while DS users already have something.

Don't be so sure about us DS users. Even us long timers. A good chunk of us aren't to  happy with DAZ's roll out with GF2 and don't plan on courting her at all. I embrace the "Dawn of a new day" and would rather put my $$$ on her. :)

I agree that this will be more of a poser figure, DAZ users are confused right now, but then DAZ did that, there will be as yourself some who will use her in DAZ but Poser users have been waiting on this figure a long time, as the last one was V4 which is why V4 still has so much suport. Some will say there are other figures but of them only Michell has any suport.

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 12:57 PM

Dawn should have support from both sides.

Once she appears, it is up to people to do things, and that incldes Poser and Studio things.

Some people work in either Poser or Studio and some work in both.

I work 99% of the time in Poser, so yes I will be doing Poser things, it is up to Studio users to do their bit as well.

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

Who honors those we love for the very life we live?, Who sends monsters to kill us?, and at the same time sings that we will never die., Who teaches us whats real?, and how to laugh at lies?, Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?, Who chains us?, and Who holds the key that can set us free... It's You!, You have all the weapons you need., Now Fight!

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 12:58 PM

I'm strictly Poser-only, but I'm considering looking for someone to convert the stuff I make for Dawn to DS.

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 1:06 PM

Quote - I'm strictly Poser-only, but I'm considering looking for someone to convert the stuff I make for Dawn to DS.

Ditto ;)

Laurie

meatSim ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 1:26 PM

Quote - > Quote - autofit clones... O yes, that would be nice

Yup, in order for me to bring content over .... I'll need some sort of an "instant" rig solution.  I don't do rigging.  It's one of the great inovations that DAZ Studio offers me.  I can DEAL with weight mapping, I hate it but I can deal with it but rigging... yukky!  lol

To bring content over to poser is not exactly hard if the shape fits the figure..  but its not one-click either.

The fitting room is a step up from the setup room as it doesn't eat the existing morphs (I dont think,  I havent worked on anything that has built in morphs yet).  It will one click Rig and group your figure as well as transfer morphs.

My results so far have varied depending on the quality of the main figures rigging. (Antonia is easy, Allyson 2 is a mess)  What it doesn't do is give you perfect weightmaps.  You may have to correct for ugly spots in teh base figures rig.  Allyson 2 needed lots of correcting to get rid of crevices in the shouler and thigh,  Antonia needed very little.

Without exception so far the weightmaps have needed a pass with the smoothing brush at the very least.  Not hard exactly but at 3 maps per joint plus bulge maps it can soak up some time.  If the bending is as good as they indicate, without JCMs or helper bones then hopefully transfering the rig and weightmaps will be fairly quick and painless

bucknyne ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 1:47 PM

This is all pretty awesome. My guess though is that if Dawn sees too much early success, DAZ will counter by suddenly doing an about-face and putting out a true Poser figure based on Genesis 2. Hopefully if that happens, no one takes the bait, because we've all seen now what DAZ's ultimate goal is.

Even if the first Dawn doesn't completely knock my socks off, I plan to support her and HiveWire as a customer, because every dollar given to them is a vote against DAZ platform despotism. And if HiveWire manages to survive that turbulent early period and get more $$$ and more merchants and modelers on board, their future releases should rival anything DAZ is capable of. The main thing is giving them a lot of early support, when they need it most!

tparo ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 2:08 PM

I'm a Daz Studio user and I'm not confused  I'm really beggining to dislike some of the insinuations coming out at the moment.

As for Daz trying platform despotism I think that is something that can be argued against. Poser thought they had it all sewn up until the competition suddenly started to outdo them.

But this thread really isn't the place for this.

If you alienate Daz Studio users by insisting on making them feel that Dawn is all about Poser before she's even released you risk loosing a lot of support for both Dawn and Hivewire.

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 2:17 PM

Alyson 2 is easy in the fitting room once you remove the magnets from the figure.
She has 42 symmetry magnet errors.

Delete the magnets in ALyson 2 and you are safe in the fitting room.

Same goes for all SM figures BTW
Only the latest : Roxie and Rex are safe.

meatSim ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 2:24 PM

Guys we've had over 50 pages of fairly harmonious discussion on this figure (aside from minor disagreements on boobs and naughty bits) if anyone is feeling the need to fight, retort, or generally stir the pot, please consider taking it to PMs

I dont think the purpose of dawn is to 'get' DAZ or sink genesis or anything negative.  This stands to be a really positive development for the poser/ds community.  We've all got a certain amount of responsibility for keeping it positive. 

Apologies if this post stirs the pot too!!  I'm not trying to play forum cop here. or assign blame.  I've just noticed a certain tone starting to develope and i think a lot of us have had enough of the same old fight

meatSim ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 2:28 PM

Quote - Alyson 2 is easy in the fitting room once you remove the magnets from the figure.
She has 42 symmetry magnet errors.

Delete the magnets in ALyson 2 and you are safe in the fitting room.

Same goes for all SM figures BTW
Only the latest : Roxie and Rex are safe.

I would have thought those magnets would have been removed from the dev rig, though I never checked for it.  I cant recall if I used the one paganeage(?) made or if it was included in lyrra's clothing development kit of allyson2/anastasia.  

That was actually in PP2012's setup room not PP2014 fitting room, though I havent noticed anything particularly different in how the fitting room transfers the rig compared to the setup room as as far as quality of resulting rig goes.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 2:43 PM · edited Mon, 01 July 2013 at 2:46 PM

Quote - My best guess, based on my observations of the markets, is that most vendors who know how to rig clothes/hair in both Poser and DS will usually package the two versions together.  I think it depends on the amount of work involved and the vendors' preferences, but it seems to me that most will choose that option.  I'm also guessing that some vendors who only know how to work in one platform will take a leap of faith and try to learn at least what they need to know to convert to the other system, asking a lot of questions to be sure they do it right and getting a lot of helpful feedback and answers from the community.  There will, of course, be some that prefer to only support one platform, and that is okay. Everyone has different time constraints going on in their lives.  I think there will be an increase in tutorials around the topic of clothing conversion from one platform to the other as a result of this. 

I'm not really a vendor, but I have recenty learn how to mode and rig clothes for Poser figures. I rellease them as freebies. But here's the thing, and the main sticking point of why Ive never used DS 4 or Genesis... I can't. My computer system wont support Studio. Think it has something to do with the OpenGL thing, but at any rate, I can't even open DS to look at the interface. On the other hand, I've havent met a version of Poser yet that my computer wont run.

So basically, if I choose to support Dawn with either freebies or products for sale, a Poser version is all I can do.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 2:50 PM

Quote - Saving out morphs in DAZ Studio is very easy so that's not an issue for anyone that knows how.  Poser, I have no idea how to do that.  If I start making morphs for her (like turning her into a him) I'll have to figure that out as I'm one of those even steven types.  We shall see. 

Thats really going to be an issue for you, isnt it Richard?

Im just kidding. But thats the second time youve mentioned wanting to do it!

JV-Andrew ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2013 at 2:59 PM

Freebies are fine... make a freebie for DAZ Studio and someone else can convert to Poser or vice versa with normal etiquette/permissions etc

Commercial items, however, would need to be converted by the purchaser for personal use only and could not be shared... so to see hints of possible collaborations to enable dual-platform releases by commercial artists is very encouraging.

[url=http://jv-andrew.deviantart.com/]My deviantART page[/url]
[url=http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=Jabba101]My ShareCG freebies[/url]
[url=https://soundcloud.com/jv-andrew]Some of my music[/url]

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.