Tue, Sep 24, 8:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 6:31 am)

Subject: Upgrading from XP to Win 7

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 1:01 AM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 8:26 AM

So i'm doing what i should have done a long time ago! I'm going from xp to windows 7. But i have a few questions before the switch.

In xp, i have my runtime/download folder installed in my program files. On 7, since they don't let you install to program files, i'm going to set the download runtime in "my documents".

But does this mean i have to reinstall everything? Or can i simply move the runtime/download folder onto another harddrive then move it back into my documents after i install win 7? And what about those files like M4/V4 where i had to initialize them? Would i have to completely reinstall those too?

Also, what about scripts? How would i get those working since most of them want you to install into runtime/python/poserscripts/scriptsmenu? The scripts i use are ezskin2, m4displacement maps, unhide dials, scenefixer, and ds-on.

And one last thing. Would the figures i save into my figures library and my pz3 saved scene files still work?

ghostship2 ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 1:08 AM

both my 2012 and 2014 runtimes are in the program folder with the apps just like the old days. not sure why you cant do that if that is what you are comfortable with.

scripts have to be in the folder with the program. like the ones that show up in your menues need to be there.

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 1:10 AM

Doesn't windows 7 prevent you from installing in the program files though? That's what i heard.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 1:11 AM

backup everything and whipe your drive clean. then install poser and place your old runtime in your user folder...that works too. you'll end up with multiple runtimes but that works.

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 1:16 AM

How would the scripts work though if win 7 doesn't let you install into program files, since the scripts have to be in there?

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 1:28 AM

You can install the scripts to program files, but Vista and Win7's User Account Control will challenge you for permission to do so.  Click to continue.

However, when a program -such as Poser's library- attempts to write to program files, UAC blocks that and sends the files to "compatibility files", aka "virtual store".

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 1:30 AM

Quote - You can install the scripts to program files, but Vista and Win7's User Account Control will challenge you for permission to do so.  Click to continue.

However, when a program -such as Poser's library- attempts to write to program files, UAC blocks that and sends the files to "compatibility files", aka "virtual store".

So what exactly should i do with my downloads/runtime and scripts to get it working in windows 7 like it works on xp?

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 7:01 AM · edited Sun, 08 September 2013 at 7:04 AM

It's best to keep your runtimes and scripts in real named folders.  (Like c:VickyRuntime)

Don't let them get lost in Program Files or in the Users area. (Users is the new name for My Documents.) You'll never find them there.

As for the program itself. Poser's recent installers don't give you a choice.  When I bought P9, I tried to keep it in a real folder that I could reach easily, but the installer put it in Program Files anyway.  This doesn't seem to cause any trouble, because I never try to store or save any figures in the Program Files area.   Anything that I make or save goes into real direct folders, and anything Poser does automatically (without my knowledge) goes into the mysterious crap areas.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 3:12 PM

ockham: Some scripts though seem to require you place them into program files, like the ds-on and m4 vein displacement maps converter.

I was talking to another artist, and he recommended to just turn off UAC, which i would probably do anyways since it's annoying.

If i have my download runtime in program files now on xp, and i move it to my_documents after my install of windows 7, will everything still work? Like if i saved a model to the figures library, or if i open a pz3 file i saved on xp, will those still work?

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 9:16 PM

UAC is a security feature.  Reconsider disabling it. Installing Poser to some location outside of program files is also popular;  but bear in mind that the executable will not be protected by UAC if it is outside of program files.  Any pimple-faced fourteen year old can then overwrite your Poser executable with his keylogger malware.

Having to lock my doors is annoying.  But it would be courting disaster not to do so.

Just install the Pythons to program files, and when UAC interrupts and asks for permission, tell it that yes, you do want to move/place these files there.

A lot of DAZ stuff can be installed to the shared docs library if you place a dummy "Poser.exe" file in the folder level above runtime.  I don't know about DSON or that maps convertor, though.

The bulk of your purchased content should go in the shared documents runtime, and UAC won't interfere with that location.  Your old scenes will work if you point Poser to that runtime (i.e., add that runtime to your library).

What version of Poser do you have?  If it is P8/Pro2010 or newer, it will by default put the library in shared documents.  If it is P7/PoserPro or earlier, then you may need to sacrifice a level of security and install P7 outside of program files.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

Netherworks ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 10:33 PM

I'm not sure I agree.  I never install in Program Files but I don't have Poser on the c: drive either.  I think the first target would be the main drive and possibly common locations.  I survived before UAC and I'm fine now. :)

I use an AV and Malware protection and run my browser with NoScript/ABP and am very selective about what I let through.  My network is set up so that only machines with specific MAC addresses can come aboard.  I run daily backups.

I'm not dead against UAC, that's for each person to decide for themselves.  On Win 8, truly halting UAC requires setting that up in the policy editor and that also disables Metro Apps, so it comes with a price.  I could care less about Metro Apps, the Lucky Charms Bar, Sky-dippy doo drive and all of that so I could care less :D

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Mon, 09 September 2013 at 8:54 AM

Quote -      What version of Poser do you have?  If it is P8/Pro2010 or newer, it will by default put the library in shared documents.  If it is P7/PoserPro or earlier, then you may need to sacrifice a level of security and install P7 outside of program files.

I'm using Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1. I'm still 50/50 on this. A lot of artists told me they put their download runtime in program files and have no problems with UAC turned off. That would be most convenient for me as well. So not sure which i will do when i get around to reinstalling poser and windows 7.

Another thing is, i'm going to backup my download/runtime (not the default runtime that comes with poser and has alyson), the runtime where i put all my purchased things in, like M4, V4, etc. Then move it to another hd. And when i format, and reinstall poser, move back that runtime. Do i need to reinitialize all the files that were exp, like M4?

svdl ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 11:49 AM

Many scripts run just fine from an external runtime - they even end up on the scripts menu. This is in Poser Pro 2014.

You don't have to reinitialize M4/V4.

Don't move the runtimes to Program Files or My Documents, just leave them outside of the Windows structure. Just add them as external runtimes and everything works.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.