Fri, Sep 20, 3:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Helping Poser Newbies

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 14 July 2013 at 8:41 PM

I create stills, that is my strongest suit ATM.  Primarily, I do quite a bit of testing and troubleshooting; I haven't posted any new images in such a long time.  Real life does interfere so I try to do some renders and participate in the forum whenever I can.

sandman_max ( ) posted Sat, 20 July 2013 at 5:24 PM

Ya know... I just noticed that Five Pairs of Pumps comes with Poser CR2 files and DS CR2 files.  This isn't the first time I've bought a pack like this but it got me wondering... what exactly is the difference?

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2013 at 5:05 PM

Is there a seperate 'Reality' forum for us that have not bought or used Lux render?

ThanX!

~A~

Is there water in your future or is it being shipped away to be resold to you?
Water, the ultimate weapon...

www.futurefantasydesign.com

RLSprouse ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2013 at 5:16 PM

Quote - Is there a seperate 'Reality' forum for us that have not bought or used Lux render?

The "official" Reality forums are now hosted on the RDNA servers.  If you go there they should be easy to find.

LuxRender is open source and free, just Google for LuxRender.

Let me know if you have any dificulties finding either of them.

~ Russ  

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2013 at 7:19 PM

Thank you Russ. ;)

HugZ!
Ariana

GBS ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2013 at 5:06 AM · edited Sat, 03 August 2013 at 5:10 AM

Quick noobie question:

I have a forest scene with characters in it and obviously trees. I set a basic light set and now I'm trying to render it. The problem is I only seem to get cast shadows when I have no ready props/scenes (when it's just the characters on the default ground).

I have everything checked with "cast shadow" and it's also checked in my render settings. So I'm not sure I understand why it's no longer casting any shadows (I just get normal shades). In the preview it looks like I see things casting shadows but it all disappears once I render.

What do I have to do to make all the characters/props cast shadow in the firefly scene?

basicwiz ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2013 at 7:25 AM

Be sure you are using raytrace and not depth map shadows. DM's can create all sorts of weird situatiions.

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2013 at 9:07 AM

Your description doesn't give much information to go on.  Basic has mentioned one solution, but I suggest posting screencaps of Render settings, Mat Room, etc to give us a better understanding.  There are several issues that do come to mind, but randomly elaborating on each solution may not answer your particular problem.

GBS ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2013 at 10:03 AM

Quote - Be sure you are using raytrace and not depth map shadows. DM's can create all sorts of weird situatiions.

Thanks! Yes, I think that was it. All my 3 lights were map shadows. I turned 2 of them into raytrace and I got cast shadows again. :)

I'm just gonna keep playing with the settings until I get the desired effect.

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2013 at 10:07 AM

I am doing a series of renders for you, using just two lights, one spot behind the objects and one infinite... very basic. I will do a divshare file you can download and keep for your use. I am sending two sets of render sttings, one basic and one I use that is more involved. I suggest that you add a 3rd light as a fill to compliment the scene. I'll post the download here for anyone to use. What version poser does not matter with the basic set up.

~A~

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2013 at 10:58 AM

small tut with SS's. Hope it helps.

~A~

http://www.divshare.com/download/24348466-19d

GBS ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2013 at 12:11 PM · edited Sat, 03 August 2013 at 12:17 PM

Quote - small tut with SS's. Hope it helps.

~A~

http://www.divshare.com/download/24348466-19d

Thank you, that's much appreciated. :) I ended up figuring out my problem but I will still take a look at your small tutorial to see if I missed something important.

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2013 at 2:28 PM

It's just very basic, but it might help on the render settings. Good luck.

~A~

pokertom2k ( ) posted Tue, 27 August 2013 at 7:03 PM

Another newbie question:

I just start learning to use Poser.  How much difference is between V4 and V4.2? 

I see a lot of items from the store are for V4 and didn't say anything particular for V4.2.  If I use V4.2, are the clothings, props for V4 fit for V4.2? 

basicwiz ( ) posted Tue, 27 August 2013 at 9:00 PM

4.2 is an update on 4.0. Everything labelled V$ will work with her.

Dogless ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2013 at 3:58 PM

Question about the main preview display window view.

When I load an item that is very large, such as a city or skydome, I don't see anything beyond a certain distance.  If I render it in Firefly it all shows up.  If I do a preview render, it still doesn't show up.  Is there a setting that can be changed, to allow me to see the distant background at all times?

basicwiz ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2013 at 7:34 AM

In the camera control panel, increase "yon". This is the furtherist thing that the camera shows in preview.

pokertom2k ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2013 at 10:48 PM

Question about face room in Poser

I try to edit the V4 head in face room.  The first message I get when I click on the face tab is "your selected figure is not a known face room figure."  After I click ok, a head show in face room but not V4's head.

Am I missing something?  I am trying to use a photo for the head.  After I import the photo and map all the dots, the head look really strange.

I also try face shop for DAZ3D but use it as a standalone program.  The face/head turns out really well and easy to edit.  If I export the head.obj object, can I use it on V4?

basicwiz ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2013 at 10:58 PM

Only the figures that come with Poser will work in the face room. All other figures must be edited in third party modeling programs, or using the morph brush and magnets.

V4 is a Daz figure, not a native Poser figure.

Fetito ( ) posted Thu, 05 September 2013 at 6:31 PM

Hello! One nooby question: As far as I know the G2 model has been produced by the Poser-team and the M4 model are by Daz.

My question is the following: Is there any big difference in their functionality?

I have the impression that there is more stuff on the web for M4 than for the "native" Poser models itself.

Thank you!

basicwiz ( ) posted Thu, 05 September 2013 at 9:33 PM

There is FAR more available for M4 than the G2 figures. As to functionality, it depends on what you ask the figures to do and how heavily you need to morph them (and into what.) Not dodging your question, but the answer is: "It Depends."

Fetito ( ) posted Thu, 05 September 2013 at 9:50 PM

@basicwiz: Thank you for your answer! So what is the technical difference between G2 and M4 figures? More polygons, better textures?

I want to animate, zombify a figure and make them scary. Probably, I will edit them also in Zbrush.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 06 September 2013 at 9:48 AM

Technically they are pretty similar - the DAZ generation four figures use a system to add additional morphs that requires running a batch file on installation, but there aren't many things that require that and it doesn't affect day-to-day use. The differences are more in the execution, and in what add-ons have been made for them. I would suggest playing with the figures you already have for a while, and only start looking at additional figures when you start wanting to expand your range - at which point you should have a better idea of what concerns you, and what is just a side-issue.

Mauadib ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 7:26 AM

i own M5 and although i have installed the files into the correct folder (Dyson Characters) that is set up outside of my main poser file and linked through the library in poser 2014 not all the textures load into the library.  i get M5 to load into the preview with the base textures just fine as well as phillip no hair.  however none of the other thumbnails for the different  textures are available in the library.  I can manually go into the material room and add the textures i desire but this turns into a royal pain. each and every time i want to do a new character.   anyone got any ideas?

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 9:46 AM

Are you saying the thumbnails are missing or that they are ineffective? Exactly which files are giving the problems?

Mauadib ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 10:43 AM

file_498047.JPG

to clarify...(sorry about that)  the thums are not even present in the library at all.  the only thumb that is present is "phillip no hair" in my materials folder in poser.  however after looking in the runtime folder on my hard drive i see that they are present.  i can only assume that the .duf files are not being read from the dyson importer for some reason or anouther.  the .duf files are also located in the "dyson files" foldier i created outside my poser pro 2014 main runtime.

here is a snap shot of how i have them orderd on the harddrive...you should be able to see the path by the browser line...if this helps

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2013 at 2:00 PM

That's the texture folder, not the library folder - or do you mean you have no way of applying those textures? Is that Content folder, whatever the path leading to it is, showing in your Poser library folder? You should have a subfolder of the Materials>DAZ Genesis>Michael 5 folder called Eyes which has the settings for the eyes in it.

OooLaLaOhMy ( ) posted Mon, 09 September 2013 at 9:15 PM

Hi- This is a very noob question about basic workflow. I just got Poser Pro 2014. Say I add one of the included figures, and I see I can pose him, change the facial structure, etc. Totally cool.

Now I have a specific type of costume I want him to have - it is not included. Can I take the existing clothing and alter it? Turn a t-shirt into a jacket? Or do I find/buy a costume and have him wear it?

thanks for any help?

RLSprouse ( ) posted Mon, 09 September 2013 at 9:19 PM · edited Mon, 09 September 2013 at 9:20 PM

Quote - Hi- This is a very noob question about basic workflow. I just got Poser Pro 2014. Say I add one of the included figures, and I see I can pose him, change the facial structure, etc. Totally cool.

Now I have a specific type of costume I want him to have - it is not included. Can I take the existing clothing and alter it? Turn a t-shirt into a jacket? Or do I find/buy a costume and have him wear it?

thanks for any help?

As a beginner your best bet is to find a costume/outfit you like at one of the many sources that are available, either freebies or purchased.  Make sure the outfit is listed as being compatible for your particular character - outfits are made to fit specific characters.  Making or modifying clothing items is something for a somewhat more experienced or advanced user.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 7:59 PM

At this stage of the game, you would most likely look for conforming clothing which is easier to apply and poses right along with the figures.  Then expand your knowledge with working with dynamic clothing.  

Altering, creating and rigging mesh clothing is more involved and requires additional software which can either be purchased or downloaded for free.  It also requires plenty of patience and a meticulous workflow to achieve a good product.

OooLaLaOhMy ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 11:39 PM

OK, another nooby question. I've also been playing with Daz3d Studio, and I have the Michael 4 character. 

So when I got Poser Pro 2014, I got the DSON importer for Poser. As far as I can tell, I did it successfully. Under 'Scripts', I have a DSON Support option, which has 'SubDivision', 'Importer Preferences' and 'Transfer Active Morphs'.

Simple question - now what? How would I actually import Michael 4? Is he supposed to show up in the character library?

basicwiz ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 7:14 AM

Michael 4 does not need Dson. He will install into Poser natively. Are you refering to Michael 5?

OooLaLaOhMy ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 8:26 AM

Quote - Michael 4 does not need Dson. He will install into Poser natively. Are you refering to Michael 5?

No, Michael 4. I have Michael 4 showing up fine in Daz3d studio. Is it a matter of putting the Michael 4 files in the Poser Pro folders?

basicwiz ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 9:17 AM

Yes. Just run the installer again again and point it to Poser. Choose the Poser install option, and he'll be there. BTW... there IS an initialize batch file that has to be run. Make sure you run it to make the morphs++ work.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 2:33 PM

Actually you shouldn't need to install M4 again, and it can be a bad idea to have two installations if they get out of sync. Better to click the folder with a + icon at top-right of the library panel in Poser and select the folder with your DAZ content (DocumentsDAZ 3D StudioMy Library and/or Public DocumentsMy DAZ 3D Library) so that you have access to everything.

Mauadib ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2013 at 6:03 AM

Quote - That's the texture folder, not the library folder - or do you mean you have no way of applying those textures? Is that Content folder, whatever the path leading to it is, showing in your Poser library folder? You should have a subfolder of the Materials>DAZ Genesis>Michael 5 folder called Eyes which has the settings for the eyes in it.

sorry to get back so late but i am currently deployed in afghanistan and the internet is crap here.  what i was showing was that all the textures are under that folder on the hard drive to enclude the philip no hair. however the only icon that appears in my poser library in poser itself  is philip no hair.  the other textures that are included in the package  do not appear in the library in poser what so ever although they are present in the harddrive folder in the same one as philip no hair.  (i hope through the explaination i did not confuse you)

RHaseltine ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2013 at 8:51 AM

file_498250.JPG

> Quote - > Quote - That's the texture folder, not the library folder - or do you mean you have no way of applying those textures? Is that Content folder, whatever the path leading to it is, showing in your Poser library folder? You should have a subfolder of the Materials>DAZ Genesis>Michael 5 folder called Eyes which has the settings for the eyes in it. > > sorry to get back so late but i am currently deployed in afghanistan and the internet is crap here.  what i was showing was that all the textures are under that folder on the hard drive to enclude the philip no hair. however the only icon that appears in my poser library in poser itself  is philip no hair.  the other textures that are included in the package  do not appear in the library in poser what so ever although they are present in the harddrive folder in the same one as philip no hair.  (i hope through the explaination i did not confuse you)

Right, but that was the texture folder so it won't appear in the library. if you look in the library you should have a folder called Eyes that holds the presets for applying those textures.

Mauadib ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2013 at 9:56 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - That's the texture folder, not the library folder - or do you mean you have no way of applying those textures? Is that Content folder, whatever the path leading to it is, showing in your Poser library folder? You should have a subfolder of the Materials>DAZ Genesis>Michael 5 folder called Eyes which has the settings for the eyes in it.

sorry to get back so late but i am currently deployed in afghanistan and the internet is crap here.  what i was showing was that all the textures are under that folder on the hard drive to enclude the philip no hair. however the only icon that appears in my poser library in poser itself  is philip no hair.  the other textures that are included in the package  do not appear in the library in poser what so ever although they are present in the harddrive folder in the same one as philip no hair.  (i hope through the explaination i did not confuse you)

Right, but that was the texture folder so it won't appear in the library. if you look in the library you should have a folder called Eyes that holds the presets for applying those textures.

let me try this again...as per you photo mine looks exactly the same however, you you look in the actual computer file in materials there are several more textures you can add to michaels body.  these do not show up in the library materials folder and i have to add them in the material room manually.  what i was wondering is if this is always the case or if i had installed michael 5 wrong and there should be more textures listed in the library.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2013 at 2:04 PM

All I see in the screenshot you posted are the eye textures, which are applied by the files in the Eyes folder I think (I didn't make sure there was an exact one-to-one match). You are, however, right that there are more materials in the DAZ Studio presets than there are in the Poser companion files - some of those will be partial mats for adjusting the specular settings and so on, which don't work in Poser, but it does look as if there are some other options that would appear to have the potential to be PoserCFs but aren't.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2013 at 2:37 PM

I've asked about the other options and it was, as far as my source was aware, down to the limits of converting from the way the materials were set up in DS to Poser's system.

OooLaLaOhMy ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2013 at 2:55 PM

I want to make a nameplate for a character - I'm not sure how to do this in Poser. Seems like I should be able to create a primitive then shape it? Is there a way to add text to something?

I've also been playing around in Blender, and watching a bunch of tutorials. I notice Blender has a text option - would it be easier to create it in Blender and export it?

Mauadib ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2013 at 3:20 AM

Quote - I've asked about the other options and it was, as far as my source was aware, down to the limits of converting from the way the materials were set up in DS to Poser's system.

yep thought so....i have been using the standard SS materials and then replacing them manually in the material room with the others that i needed.  thought there might be an easier way but guess not....thanx for the help though

Mauadib ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 2:18 AM

sorry to be such a pain in the butt, but i have seemed to have run into anouther issue.  I am rendering both V6 and M5 in firefly into jpg format in order to piece it back together in After Effects.  it is a 130 frame scean that will be cut into a main video with other clips previously renderd.  the problem is this...the 4 prior shots (with 120 frames) rendered just fine without issues. however the 5th of the series constantly renders with a wide darked band of pixelation in the middle of the sceane.  I am rendering at the same settings i have done with the 4 prior scenes exactly.  the only thing that has changed in the fith is the motion of the actors (of which they are not extreame motion changes).  I had originally thought it may have been a glitched prop in the way but there is nothing there.  I have rendered several times without making changes to the shot and the pixilated band changes width and location every time...anyone got a clue?

Mauadib ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 2:47 AM

and since i am here...i have also noticed that the standard clothing for V6 will not take on the morph/dials that V6 has. they have the standard size, transition and such but the body morphs are not present such as waist, belly and breast so any changes to the figure do not incur changes to to the clothing. This project is becoming a real pain in the butt

Mauadib ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 2:50 AM

i should have mentionion in my first question too...i have rendered all my prior shots in the subdivision level 1 without the issue occuring. but again on the same settings i get a the pixilated bands with my fith that i am trying to complete

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2013 at 8:20 AM

Quote - and since i am here...i have also noticed that the standard clothing for V6 will not take on the morph/dials that V6 has. they have the standard size, transition and such but the body morphs are not present such as waist, belly and breast so any changes to the figure do not incur changes to to the clothing. This project is becoming a real pain in the butt

Try going to the Script menu, DSON Support, Transfer Active Morphs.

Mauadib ( ) posted Fri, 20 September 2013 at 2:45 AM

Quote - > Quote - and since i am here...i have also noticed that the standard clothing for V6 will not take on the morph/dials that V6 has. they have the standard size, transition and such but the body morphs are not present such as waist, belly and breast so any changes to the figure do not incur changes to to the clothing. This project is becoming a real pain in the butt

Try going to the Script menu, DSON Support, Transfer Active Morphs.

now do i select the item i want it transfered too and do this or do i select the avatar.  i attempted it with selecting the avatar and using the tranfer active morphs but it did not ask me what i wanted to transfer them to. so i am assuming that i need to select the item i want it to transfer to and running the script.  however when i did do that there were no dials on the target item.  i am assuming that when  i dial the originating figure that the target item should automatically change its form to match.

Mauadib ( ) posted Fri, 20 September 2013 at 2:46 AM

sorry to be such a noob  but the manual reads in stereo

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 20 September 2013 at 2:06 PM

Select the figure and it will add (hidden) morphs to the clothing that is currently conformed. If the clothing relied on smoothing and collision detection in DS then it won't help, or not a great deal, as those features could not be implemented in the DSON importer (for performance reasons - they can be slow even in DS itself).

Mauadib ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2013 at 9:37 AM

Quote - Select the figure and it will add (hidden) morphs to the clothing that is currently conformed. If the clothing relied on smoothing and collision detection in DS then it won't help, or not a great deal, as those features could not be implemented in the DSON importer (for performance reasons - they can be slow even in DS itself).

thanx will give it a shot

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.