Fri, Sep 20, 2:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Trying to create a specific fire. HOW?

Michaelab ( ) posted Sun, 29 September 2013 at 10:50 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 12:38 AM

Hi,

I've seen a dozen tutorials on creating fire in Blender. (I have 2.68) but they all show how to make a roaring fire with large chaotic flames. I'm trying to create a fire simulation where a globe or sphere is engulfed in fire but the flames are much tamer.

Searching for an example of the fire I'm trying to achieve I found this image: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-V5I5uiJMOy...pirit+fire.png

which is the type of fire I would like to create in blender. A fire that is more "harmonious" and less chaotic with the fingers of the flames smoother and less angry looking. My challenge is that there are so many settings to either the domain or the object on fire that, being new, it is very difficult to know which setting to adjust to get this look.

If you picture a globe engulfed in that fire image I attached where the fire produced looks like it comes more from gas stove than a camp fire, that is what I'd like to achieve. I've gone through about a half dozen tutorials trying to adjust settings with no luck.

Can somebody help me out with this? Being relatively new there are just too many settings to know which ones to adjust.

pauljs75 ( ) posted Sun, 29 September 2013 at 11:32 PM

There's more than one kind of fire in Blender. There is fluid-based (smoke simulator) flames and there is particle flames. I'm still too much a noob to explain adequately, but they behave quite a bit different. Maybe somebody who has been at it longer will chip in and explain where each works best.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

unbroken-fighter ( ) posted Sun, 29 September 2013 at 11:56 PM

the fluid based flame would work better because it can be contained easier

the smoke(fluid) based flames can be added to an object like a sphere and contained within another sphere to contain the flow

this might help if you have the basics of fire from smoke down already http://cgcookie.com/blender/2013/09/20/working-obstacles-smoke-simulations-blender/

Michaelab ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2013 at 10:17 PM

How do I have a fluid based flame? Is that a setting.

Or can I just use something like a lotus flower and make animated flames out of it?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.