Thu, Sep 19, 5:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:23 pm)

Subject: Avi

darquevision ( ) posted Fri, 18 October 2013 at 11:50 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 5:16 PM

file_498925.jpg

i have run into a problem regarding animating. i started using preview mode to render, before i used cartoon, but it became too limiting-at times. anyhow when i antialias a still it looks good but when i render the movie the quailty of certain areas drops drastically.

i render all frames uncompressed.

below i hope is a good example of what i mean. it seems more light helps or could it be the position.

thanx in advance

aRtBee ( ) posted Fri, 18 October 2013 at 2:54 PM

IMHO the best way to render animations is to render them as a series of separate images (select "Image Files" in the render settings movie tab - lossless formats preferred, don't do jpg, but bmp or tiff), and combine them in a video editor.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

cnolte ( ) posted Fri, 18 October 2013 at 4:38 PM

Hi,

I do what aRtBee suggests and then assemble the single images into a movie using VirtualDub which is easy use and free.

darquevision ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2013 at 3:58 AM

ty artbee

i am going to try that for cases like this plus i see the unlimited possibility for all kinds of fun post work.

adobe is my staple so assembling is not an issue.

guess i thought i could get the exact results a tad faster.

aRtBee ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2013 at 4:51 AM

well, it's the way the profi's work, and the way network rendering works for animations.

The basic idea is that when something crashes or a render setting works out the wrong way, only a very limited amount of frames has to be re-rendered. Plus the post-work options indeed.

next to that, a series of frame-images takes as much diskspace as an uncompressed avi, or even less (eg compressed tiff, just test upfront your whole workflow so you're sure poser is producing the format that can be processed further indeed).

note that especially when you're on Poser Pro you can save various frame-images at once, like masks and z-depth and so on. These too can be combined into a video-stream, and used for postwork as well.

success and have fun!

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2013 at 7:28 AM · edited Mon, 21 October 2013 at 7:36 AM

how many frames and how much computing power is part o the strategy.

i'm on 2 cores, lame, lol.

Outdoors lighting for more than 60 frames, i usually use -
one ibl ~ 35 - 40% for global illumination, ambient = .5
one point or spot light for raytrace shadows, shadow = .8
one inf light as a backlight behind the main elements, shadow off, tinted depending on the time of day it's supposed to be.

Final draft render settings - (pp12 no sr)
min shade = 0
irradiance = 100
pixelsample=5 
sss on only for closeups 

and depending on level of effort, is worth it sometimes to re-texture further away stuff with basic shader settings, like- does that thing in the background need a 4000px image map

and keep in mind raytracing needs something to bounce off
skydome, a very big cube, etc

good luck with your project :)

.avi writes as it progresses, if it crashes you still have the frames up to that point.
for as images, png is nice, saves transparency, and semi transparency.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

3Dave ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2013 at 8:24 AM

For the scene above, I'd render a high quality still of the background, then render the animation  as a series of .png on a transparent background then put them together in Adobe Premiere or my current favourite HitFilm Ultimate (free version available)

darquevision ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2013 at 10:55 AM

power potential is a good thing to keep in mind. i will toy around with the settings and retexturing (i think that might be a factor in that wierd image quailty.)

i am on 4 cores and i still feell some lag, then again i am impatient.

when it comes to technique- there alot of factors to consider. first and foremost style choice.

i have been playing with png export.- i like it(and the postwork options- stellar!) i just have to get the timing down.

aRtBee ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2013 at 11:24 AM

10 years ago I did some nice 4 min length animations, like 

http://www.main.artbeeweb.nl/?p=4003

4 CPU's (single core, single thread, 1.8GHz), over 3 weeks full time (24/7) rendering, in separate frame-images. Some frames took 20 hours each due to reflections. 

Rendering is fun :-) unless you're impatient.

- - - - - 

darquevision ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2013 at 8:02 AM

thats cool, but 3 weeks straight? then again it was 10 years ago.

these are some tests and such i am doing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/darquevision

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.