Sun, Oct 6, 9:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:12 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Looking for a simple 3D Editor

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 18 November 2013 at 10:37 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 9:27 AM

Hi, I am looking for a simple 3D Editor to do basic mesh editing. I've been surfing around to look for one, looked at ZBrush (too expensive and not simple anyway), Blender (not basic and unfriendly), ANim8tor (too old), Hexagon (didn't like it).

Any idea anyone ? Or which one are you using ?

Thanks,

Yarp - author of P3DO Organizer for Poser

PhilC ( ) posted Mon, 18 November 2013 at 10:48 PM

To be honest I would take another look at Blender. There are some excellent free on screen tutorials on line, a simple Google search will find them.

I mainly do basic box, subdivision modeling. I've used Truespace for years but with the advent of a new computer was forced to look for something else. Downloaded Blender, then took the time to go through a couple of tutorials and found that I could pick it up very quickly.

Just my suggestion. 

yarp ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2013 at 1:38 AM

I admit I just spend a quarter of an hour trying to figure how to model with Blender. I was really excited using it because it is a famour freeware with a lot of capabilities.

The UI seems pretty complete though. You're right that's not enough, I'll give it another try. Thanks PhilC for pointing this out.

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2013 at 1:56 AM

Attached Link: Wings3D

Depends on the kind of mesh editing you wanna do, and your experience level.  Did you try Wings yet?  Wings3D could possibly be the easiest of all to learn, because it's a box modelling application.  The UI is basic, and it's really easy to get started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sanM9E7AREY (UI Introduction)

https://www.youtube.com/user/wings3dchannel (learning vids)

http://www.wings3d.com/paulthepuzzles/aardvarks.html (text tutelage)

Some other simple editors you might try:

Sketchup (Free version is very easy to pick up on)

123D Design (I hate Autodesk, but I have to admit this one is simple to use)

Metasequoia 4 (the free basic version is real simple to learn)

I personally use Cinema4D, but wouldn't recommend it to someone just starting out.  However, the Prime version is fairly easy, and not too expensive. Bbaby steps first.

I wouldn't recommend Blender to someone looking for "basic".  While many useful tools are there, they aren't easily found, and the mouse button configuration, by default, is counter-intuitive to just about anyone using a computer.  I never understood why blender didn't use left-button selection standards like everyone else, unless that has changed in recent updates.

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2013 at 8:09 AM · edited Tue, 19 November 2013 at 8:10 AM

My vote goes to Wings ;) It's what I learned modeling in. Couldn't be easier.

You might also try Silo. There's a trial version and it's frequently on deep sale.

Laurie

yarp ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2013 at 11:03 AM

Hi, thank you all for your answer. Never heard about Wings3D thanks for the link, I really need a basic 3D editor. I want to modifiy PP2 or convert OBJ or other 3D meshes for Poser.

Maybe also doing some basic props on my own.

I don't think I'll go further, but who knows ? Maybe I'll like it.

If I do then maybe C4D will be worth the try, the price will be important then. But first I want to see if I like this or not.

Thanks,

airflamesred ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2013 at 3:55 PM

Wings - yes but the programing language seems to make a big deal out of simple solutions

Sketchup - As I remember it's boolean based and produces a hellish looking mesh

Metasequoia - Use ver 3xx, the plugins work. I've used this for 10 years, very easy and robust. However, if I were starting out now and you're serious go with Blender.

Spending money, you can move up through modo etc and reach the dizzy heights of max,maya, see if you enjoy it first. 

It's all about vert movement

yarp ( ) posted Wed, 20 November 2013 at 4:48 AM

I gave Modo a glance yesterday, isn't it something like 800$ ?

I don't intend to do a lot of modelling that's why I am overall looking for something easy to use. As for the price, I'm willing to pay a reasonnable price if the tool fits my needs.

airflamesred ( ) posted Wed, 20 November 2013 at 2:40 PM

My apoligies, I hadn't realised modo was that much. There was another free app called (someone else will have to chime in here) nivil? or something like that. Really sensible interface.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 20 November 2013 at 2:52 PM · edited Wed, 20 November 2013 at 2:53 PM

Nvil - kind of Silo-like.

yarp ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2013 at 3:54 AM

Thanks, I will give Nivil a chance too.

So Nivil, Wing3D and Blender are on the list. I will study these this Weekend and post my selection on this thread.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2013 at 5:31 AM

Keep in mind that both Nvil and Blender are full modeling suites - and what I mean by that is they do everything: box modeling, splines, etc. Wings is a box modeler only. However, in order to learn ya must start someplace and box modeling is probably the easiest to pick up because it makes the most sense ;). Wings is great for that, and after learning you can "graduate" to more powerful modeling programs...hehe.

Nvil and Blender are definitely more complicated, have more things to learn, but some people like jiumping in with both feet. It's just a matter of how frustrated you think you'll get.

Laurie

yarp ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2013 at 8:38 AM

Thanks for the tip Laurie. I watched the first Wings3D video tutorial you posted last Tuesday.  There was not that much to learn in that tutorial since it was merely a tour of the UI. The next one is about Box modelling. I still gave it a quick glance and I agree it seems easy to use.

But my feeling was that the interface is not that friendly, but maybe it was me. So I will look at the Box video tutorial and then try on my own. Then do the same with Blender.

This way I should be able to make up my mind.

kenmo ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2013 at 1:03 PM · edited Thu, 21 November 2013 at 1:13 PM

Quote - Depends on the kind of mesh editing you wanna do, and your experience level.  Did you try Wings yet?  Wings3D could possibly be the easiest of all to learn, because it's a box modelling application.  The UI is basic, and it's really easy to get started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sanM9E7AREY (UI Introduction)

https://www.youtube.com/user/wings3dchannel (learning vids)

http://www.wings3d.com/paulthepuzzles/aardvarks.html (text tutelage)

Some other simple editors you might try:

Sketchup (Free version is very easy to pick up on)

123D Design (I hate Autodesk, but I have to admit this one is simple to use)

Metasequoia 4 (the free basic version is real simple to learn)

I personally use Cinema4D, but wouldn't recommend it to someone just starting out.  However, the Prime version is fairly easy, and not too expensive. Bbaby steps first.

I wouldn't recommend Blender to someone looking for "basic".  While many useful tools are there, they aren't easily found, and the mouse button configuration, by default, is counter-intuitive to just about anyone using a computer.  I never understood why blender didn't use left-button selection standards like everyone else, unless that has changed in recent updates.

Thanks for the list... I did look at C4D Prime but it's costly when compared to Silo or Hexagon. The price I saw for Prime at the Maxon webstore was a $1000 bucks...

I love Wings3D but it doesn't have the advanced features of Hexagon...

Sculptris is neat and free. Give it a look...

:-)

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2013 at 2:42 PM · edited Thu, 21 November 2013 at 2:48 PM

Quote - Thanks for the list... I did look at C4D Prime but it's costly when compared to Silo or Hexagon. The price I saw for Prime at the Maxon webstore was a $1000 bucks... I love Wings3D but it doesn't have the advanced features of Hexagon...

Sculptris is a freeform sculpting app.  I like it, but the output will be very dense and triangulated, unless you retopologize the mesh in another modelling app, which is far more advanced techniques for any beginner to attempt.

Hexagon and Silo are good modeling apps for beginners, but lack a lot of advanced control for intermediate to advanced modellers, who want to save time while getting good results.  So they would be good for someone starting out, except for the one thing they both have in common...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9nKqOZjPjk

Also, it was mentioned that Sketchup uses booleans.  I don't believe that's the case.  Sketchup is a 3D "sketching" application, as the name implies.  It uses line drawing tools, in 3 dimentions.  The output is crappy, but it's easy to learn, and build simple models.

Wings, as suggested, is a box modelling app only.  This makes it ideal to learn the basics and beyond, as you develop a clear and technically sound foundation and understanding of geometry creation.  Great starter app.  Truth be told, some of it's edge tools are more advanced than Hexagon's.  You have more technical options to build geomtry in Hex (splines), but Wings has some tools for edge control and poly manipulation that make Hex's workflow look laborious and lacking.

$1000 for Prime is a good deal.  Considering there's nothing that cheap in the entire Autodesk line, and Modo increased it's price to over $1000 after adding some particle tools or something silly.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2013 at 2:54 PM · edited Thu, 21 November 2013 at 2:55 PM

Quote - But my feeling was that the interface is not that friendly, but maybe it was me.

I've found Wings3D's interface to be incredibly user friendly and uncluttered, but mileage may vary ;). Everything is there on a right click menu.

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2013 at 2:54 PM

Btw, I think Nvil will become the new Silo.  Except more stable, and with more robust features.  I just recently tried it out, and was very impressed.  Not impressed enough to replace C4D's modelling tools, but as a stand-alone modelling app, it seems quite mature already.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2013 at 2:56 PM

Quote - Btw, I think Nvil will become the new Silo.  Except more stable, and with more robust features.  I just recently tried it out, and was very impressed.  Not impressed enough to replace C4D's modelling tools, but as a stand-alone modelling app, it seems quite mature already.

Agreed. I like it a lot and the developer is very responsive to user input. I've been watching it for a long while ;).

Laurie

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2013 at 3:22 PM

Quote - Agreed. I like it a lot and the developer is very responsive to user input. I've been watching it for a long while ;). Laurie

That makes it all the more interesting.  As long as he doesn't fudge it up later on by adding other useless features to compete with the big studo apps, like they did to Modo.

yarp ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2013 at 3:44 PM

This is a very intersting thread. You are all opening my eyes. Thanks a lot.

kenmo ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2013 at 6:58 AM · edited Fri, 22 November 2013 at 6:59 AM

Quote - > Quote - Thanks for the list... I did look at C4D Prime but it's costly when compared to Silo or Hexagon. The price I saw for Prime at the Maxon webstore was a $1000 bucks... I love Wings3D but it doesn't have the advanced features of Hexagon...

Sculptris is a freeform sculpting app.  I like it, but the output will be very dense and triangulated, unless you retopologize the mesh in another modelling app, which is far more advanced techniques for any beginner to attempt.

Hexagon and Silo are good modeling apps for beginners, but lack a lot of advanced control for intermediate to advanced modellers, who want to save time while getting good results.  So they would be good for someone starting out, except for the one thing they both have in common...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9nKqOZjPjk

Also, it was mentioned that Sketchup uses booleans.  I don't believe that's the case.  Sketchup is a 3D "sketching" application, as the name implies.  It uses line drawing tools, in 3 dimentions.  The output is crappy, but it's easy to learn, and build simple models.

Wings, as suggested, is a box modelling app only.  This makes it ideal to learn the basics and beyond, as you develop a clear and technically sound foundation and understanding of geometry creation.  Great starter app.  Truth be told, some of it's edge tools are more advanced than Hexagon's.  You have more technical options to build geomtry in Hex (splines), but Wings has some tools for edge control and poly manipulation that make Hex's workflow look laborious and lacking.

$1000 for Prime is a good deal.  Considering there's nothing that cheap in the entire Autodesk line, and Modo increased it's price to over $1000 after adding some particle tools or something silly.

But 1000 bucks is expensive in today's economy for a hobbyist who may only build very few models a year...

Wings3D is awesome and their are quite a few plugins being developed by Wings memers like ggaliens manifold collection...

I also like Groboto but their has not been much development since Darrell took ill... Recently their forum has been closed due to a hacker attack...

kenmo ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2013 at 7:01 AM · edited Fri, 22 November 2013 at 7:02 AM

Attached Link: Art of Illusion

I was going to recommend Art of Illusion but their website seems to be down...

kenmo ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2013 at 7:43 AM · edited Fri, 22 November 2013 at 7:44 AM

Attached Link: RaySupreme3D ver 1.5

Has anyone looked at this app? there's already a thread here at Renderosity on it...

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2013 at 7:59 AM · edited Fri, 22 November 2013 at 8:01 AM

It looks interesting :) I hadn't heard of it. Not sure about the Text-to-3D tho.

Laurie

kenmo ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2013 at 8:32 AM

It's too bad companies do not offer older versions of their software at a discounted price. I'd love to pickup Lightwave or Cinema4D. But don't want to fork out the big bucks $$$.

I do have an older version of Cinema4 (ver 6) that was given away free on a magazine's cover CD-Rom.

Cheers and a very good thread...

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2013 at 8:42 AM

Quote - Has anyone looked at this app? there's already a thread here at Renderosity on it...

Someone was spamming their wares not too long ago here.  I checked it out, and my first thoughts were... eh.  Modelling tools looked like nothing special at all, same ol same ol.  The whole claim to fame is that text to 3D stuff.  My opinion on that is... eh?

Just seems extremly limited. First of all, someone needs to model all the models that the 3d recognition algorythm has contained in it's library, or they will have to license models from somewhere.  So I wonder if the guys modeling for them are going to model the stuff in the RaySupreme software?  I hope not, or it will take 10 years to get the thing close enough to consider slightly useful.  Let's put it this way.  Say you need a room based on 1920's architecture.  You type in the text info, but how many variations of that kind of room will they have?. Not many.  So the next time you need a similar room, it's likely to look exactly the same, with different materials?  Too many variables for that thing to be useful beyond just a novelty.  Just use stock meshes if you want something like that.

My2cents.

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2013 at 8:56 AM

Not to mention I downloaded it, installed it, and immediately gave me an error on my system that it couldn't find some library.  Instantly uninstalled it.  Only time any software ever gave me that install error.

LuxXeon ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2013 at 6:49 PM

Quote - It's too bad companies do not offer older versions of their software at a discounted price. I'd love to pickup Lightwave or Cinema4D. But don't want to fork out the big bucks $$$.

I don't know how you feel about leasing software, but Autodesk is now offering subscription based licensing of their line of products, similar to Adobe, with flexible licensing.  You could download and use Maya, Max, or XSI; full working versions, for around $195/mnth, or $1000 a year, something like that.

Also, there's the Maya LT (not PLE), which is basically "Maya Lite", which is only $50 per month, $500 per year, or buy it outright for $795.

I've heard Maya LT is actually pretty good, and considering Maya Unlimited is without a doubt the industry-standard package for high end CGFX, and used in just about every major film FX studio in the world, learning it on the lite version for $795 is a great opportunity I would think.

As for the OP, my vote also leans in favor of Wings3D, if you are an absolute beginner.  That's the software I learned on before moving up to 3dsmax, and I agree with the concensus that the techniques you develop in Wings3D, using box modeling, lays down a good foundation for futher learning of other techniques in the more advanced packages, if you decide to move on.

Consider this; If you decide to start out with a more complex package, that's fine, but there's a good chance your learning will be slow-going, and possibly handicapped by "sensory overload".  Meaning, there's so many technique variations, and options to choose from in some apps, and so many ways to do one thing, that you may have a slower time building a good, solid workflow to properly create geometry.

One guy in our class last year said it best.  He said, "the first tutorial I watched when I started using Wings was how to model a sword.  The first tutorial I watched when I started using Blender was how to configure Blender".

Whatever package you choose, good luck!  There's a lot of great ones out there.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations
Instagram: @luxxeon3d
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/luxxeon

yarp ( ) posted Sat, 23 November 2013 at 2:30 AM

Thanks for your tips LuxXeon. I will do the Wings3D box modelling tutorial but I've been playing with it a bit and I don't find the UI that friendly. So I take your advice as Wing3D being a good starting point. I will do the tutorials and then I will quickly move to another software.

Because I just installed Nvil and without reading any tutorial I've been able to figure out how to arrange the viewport, move objects, and do basic things which I can't even figure out how they work on other softwares I've been trying. And I like the UI very much. It is exactly what I was looking for.

And 80$ for the license is ok.

yarp ( ) posted Sat, 23 November 2013 at 5:09 AM

Nvil is the one. I've been using it this morning. Simply cute.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you everybody.

airflamesred ( ) posted Sat, 23 November 2013 at 5:28 AM

$80, thats good value. Progrmable hot keys - whats not to like there.

LuxXeon ( ) posted Sat, 23 November 2013 at 8:44 AM

Glad to hear you made your decision.  I can't argue with Nvil.  It's a really great package, and if you picked up on it that fast, then there's nothing wrong with it for you.

Nvil, I just remembered, is the package our school uses to instruct their novice courses, so it's a good choice!  I don't know how many tutorials are out there for Nvil, but as long as it has al the necessary features, with naming conventions that match industry standards, then you should be able to follow tuts from most any other application with it.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 23 November 2013 at 10:38 AM

Nvil is a great little program. It's on my list of things to buy. LOL

Laurie

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Sat, 23 November 2013 at 5:31 PM

Quote - One guy in our class last year said it best.  He said, "the first tutorial I watched when I started using Wings was how to model a sword.  The first tutorial I watched when I started using Blender was how to configure Blender".

That's a classic.

yarp ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2013 at 3:54 AM

It's a really great package, and if you picked up on it that fast

I mainly need a tool to modify stuff. I wan to pick up objects on the web and turn them into poseable props, even for Poser packages I purchasesd and don't have the ability to turn off wall visibility (for example). Nvil is perfect for that.

I intend to do objects on my own too and for this I will have to learn how ot use it. But I will start will really basic objects. My first project is a room with poseable walls :)

Also the UI, buttons are well arranged, easy to understand. The help file is well made. One thing that puzzle me with other 3D softwares I have tried up to now, was that it was difficult -for me- to figure out if I was in mesh editing or simple object viewing. Nvil made it easy at first glance.

For all those reasons I thought it was worth going further with Nvil. And I like the UI (4 viewports when there was only one with Wing3D - I know I can plug some more but here the UI is all setup and customizable).

The drawback is that there are not many tutorials out there, but the help file has 3, and I will teach myself with WingsD to get the box modelling technique.

airflamesred ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2013 at 6:26 AM

There is a free version also - voidworld.

kenmo ( ) posted Mon, 25 November 2013 at 8:37 AM

Attached Link: Animation Master $70 yearly subscription

Animation Master is offering an annual subscription price of $79 (USA) for use of it's software...

I've never used the app and know nothing about it... But does sound intriguing...

LuxXeon ( ) posted Mon, 25 November 2013 at 3:37 PM

Animation Master doesn't utilize polygons, from my understanding.  It doesn't even use Nurbs.  A:M uses a very proprietary spline/patch modeling system, invented by Hash, and exporting those patch models to formats that can be read and understood by other polygon based 3D applications is a process that has been met with mixed results.  It has some really excellent animation tools in it; some folks have said it's animation and rigging tools can rival Maya, but it's far from industry standard for modeling, and I don't know very many people who have successfully used it to convert or create complex polygonal geometry.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations

Monsee ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2013 at 8:39 AM · edited Sun, 15 December 2013 at 8:41 AM

About Nvil, one thing is bothering me a bit.

Sure, the pop up help and tips are nice, if a bit "in your way" at times, but I'd really, really like to check some modeling tutorials, or at least video timelapses dedicated to Nvil... before I buy it.

Except that so far the few video tutorials that I found were essentially about setting up custom configuration, which is not as encouraging - or as good a thing as it sounds, promotion wise, imho.

It's not lazyness from my part, as I've scripted and delved into UI configuration quite a bit for other software that I used before, but I want to use my software first, then adjust its UI and tools later on.

I checked the official forum, and again there was basically nothing on the turorial, or workflow, front, yet a few sticky posts about... you guessed it : some specific user configuration files, again. hmm.

Any pointers? :)

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2013 at 9:30 AM

Well, the software is relatively new and not well known, which sort of makes things a bit thin in the tutorial department ;).

Go thru some of these. The development name of Nvil was VoidWorld :).

Laurie

Monsee ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2013 at 11:29 AM

Thank you, I'm gonna check these right away.

Meshbox ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2013 at 12:46 AM

Check out Shade 3D. You can pick Shade 3D for Unity up for free.

It has PoserFusion built in (for importing in native animated Poser scenes), and its OBJ export is optimized for building Poser props.

Best regards,

chikako
Meshbox Design | 3D Models You Want

kenmo ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2013 at 5:51 AM

Quote - About Nvil, one thing is bothering me a bit.

Sure, the pop up help and tips are nice, if a bit "in your way" at times, but I'd really, really like to check some modeling tutorials, or at least video timelapses dedicated to Nvil... before I buy it.

Except that so far the few video tutorials that I found were essentially about setting up custom configuration, which is not as encouraging - or as good a thing as it sounds, promotion wise, imho.

It's not lazyness from my part, as I've scripted and delved into UI configuration quite a bit for other software that I used before, but I want to use my software first, then adjust its UI and tools later on.

I checked the official forum, and again there was basically nothing on the turorial, or workflow, front, yet a few sticky posts about... you guessed it : some specific user configuration files, again. hmm.

Any pointers? :)

I agree. I actually posted a message on the Nvil boards inquiring about tutorials. There is so little activity on that forum and IMHO that is a BIG turn off when it comes to Nvil as well as your point about tutorials....

airflamesred ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2013 at 8:17 AM

Well on the flip side, I found it very solid, which may account for the lack of forum activity.

kenmo ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2013 at 8:44 AM

Quote - Well, the software is relatively new and not well known, which sort of makes things a bit thin in the tutorial department ;).

Go thru some of these. The development name of Nvil was VoidWorld :).

Laurie

Sorry I don't mean to be rude or ungrateful but I started to watch Void World tips #1 and found it painful to watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcr8QeT4Kmk&list=PL0FC81F83F8D18FF0&index=8

I tried playing with Nvil but I find the ui is not very intuitive... I got frustrated just trying to do a loop selection, ring selection, etc... In Hexagon or Wings it's such a simple task...

kenmo ( ) posted Mon, 23 December 2013 at 8:45 AM

Again there are no tutorials to introduce a newbie to the toolset or even simple modeling...

kenmo ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2013 at 5:40 PM

It appears the developer is more concerned about making Nvil a 64 bit app than in doing any kind of tutorials...

Sorry but Nvil is not very user friendly. It maybe more stable than Hex but I find Hexagon's crashes less stressful than having to navigate a messy gui. And I very much dislike the left clicking bringing up a mess of word balloons....

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Tue, 24 December 2013 at 11:06 PM

Quote - It appears the developer is more concerned about making Nvil a 64 bit app than in doing any kind of tutorials...

Sorry but Nvil is not very user friendly. It maybe more stable than Hex but I find Hexagon's crashes less stressful than having to navigate a messy gui. And I very much dislike the left clicking bringing up a mess of word balloons....

I think that's definitely a concern that should take presidence to tutelage.  There's almost no use for a 32bit application in this age of high resolution modelling.  Even next gen game engines are supporting polygons in the millions.  Importing zedbrush or voxel models for topology makeovers can choke a 32 bit app quickly.  Nvil is clearly aimed at seasoned modellers, looking for an alternative package to Silo, or to compliment the tools in their high end suite.  The popup navigation, and customizable keyboard shortcuts in Nvil are not for beginner modellers, but tools which, once mastered, help make workflow much faster than constantly reaching for buttons or scrolling down panels in a UI.

I understand why you might not appreciate that kind of workflow coming from a package where the UI dictates the workflow, but many advanced users appreciate the ability to totally customize the way they work to suit their style and pace.  I think this is why there is a shortage of tutorials.  The users who will gravitate toward a package like Nvil won't really need, or want them.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Nvil's UI either, because even though it's customizable, it's not appealing in the least.  Doesn't make me want to work in it for as often as I will need to on a daily basis.  My ideal modeller should look as good as it functions, because I'll need to look at it more often than I look at my girlfriend every day.  3D modelling apps are like girlfriends to me, in my line of work.

However,  I find Nvil very comprehensive in the way of tools and features.  You aren't left wishing it could do this or that, because it's got a great feature set, and that to me is what is most important of all.  It has a great heart.  If I weren't already involved with C4D, I'd definitely take it out on the town, even though I probably wouldn't show it off to my mates.

cjd ( ) posted Wed, 25 December 2013 at 6:12 PM

Quote - There's almost no use for a 32bit application in this age of high resolution modelling.  Even next gen game engines are supporting polygons in the millions.  Importing zedbrush or voxel models for topology makeovers can choke a 32 bit app quickly. 

Its interesting that ZBrush is still 32bit, AND that it can produce models with a super high polycount.

Otherwise, yes, most 32bit apps are quite limited. I would agree that the Nvil developer is smart is spending the time to get it ported to 64bits before doing any more work in other areas.

The Nvil interface is a bit of a turn off, but not so much a ZBrush or Blender. I know its possible to customize it, but if it can be reskinned as well, that would be nice.

I would definitely look at Nvil again once there a 64bit version available. 

SinnerSaint ( ) posted Wed, 25 December 2013 at 8:43 PM · edited Wed, 25 December 2013 at 8:44 PM

Yea, Zedbrush could probably remain 32bit even 10 years from now, when most systems are running a 128bit architecture (or whatever the future bit technology will be).  The wonders of volumetric sculpting.  Once you convert the dynamic voxel-based model to hard polygons, however, the impact on memory consuption is the equivalent to dropping an anchor into a bathtub.  It could easily handle 1 billion voxel faces, but ever try to import 1 billion quads into zedbrush?  The limit of it's ZRemesher is about 8 million polys (tri or quad), limited by the 32bit, 4gig architecture.  Not that this is ever a realistic roadblock to most projects, but it's there.

Zedbrush 5 will no doubt be 64bit.

pauljs75 ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2014 at 1:00 PM

Geez... I usually don't bounce around this forum so I'm late to the thread. And what others have said so far is good, here's my take on it:

Wings 3D: This is among the best for making your base mesh. I find it has the fastest workflow because how selections and user-defined operations work. Not to mention it's possible to re-position your view while performing some operations, etc. In some ways it's KISS (not the prettiest looking program), but some of its aspects leave me wanting when trying to do similar stuff other modeling apps. Wings is good enough to "spoil" you if you get used to it.

Sculptris: If you're not worried about edge-flow or topography and simply want to define volume and form, this is where you should look. It parallels sculpting with clay and provides a different approach to modeling than box/edge/vertex modeling. (Z-brush and sculpt mode in Blender also offer the same workflow aspects.)

Blender: This is what I like for UV-mapping (it almost does all the work for you), texturing (not too hard to paint things), rigging and weight mapping (auto weighting is awesome and weight painting is easy enough), scene staging, rendering (Cycles is hard to beat once you get a feel for it - almost feels like cheating if lighting and materials are ok), and compositing. It has a modeler which isn't bad, but you have to get a lot of plugins to do many things other modelers may do on their own. Yet I find it's useful to learn its modeler for adjusting stuff brought in from other programs. The dynamic topology of sculpt mode however is good enough that you might not need to bother with Sculptris. Also it's modifiers and spline tools are good duplicating or arraying basic components made elsewhere. (One might make something like a complex tank tread in Blender, but the basic parts that are put together to make it can be modeled quickly in Wings.)

When it comes down to it, you only need two programs to get started in 3D. Not to mention you don't have to spend any money for them. A Wings 3D and Blender combo is what I'd recommend to any beginner. (Get to know those, and same or similar concepts apply in commercial software.)

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.