Fri, Sep 20, 2:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: How do I make the fingers wider like a gnomes hands should be?

Michaelab ( ) posted Mon, 18 November 2013 at 11:20 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 2:23 AM

file_499524.jpg

Struggling with this and it seems that it should be so easy, but how do I make this gnomes hands and fingers shorter and fatter?

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2013 at 9:52 AM
Forum Moderator

Is this the same gnome you imported from Poser? I think you would have a easier time using the dials in poser to get a more even distribution of making them shorter and fatter. In Blender selecting them object then going into edit mode you can use the scaling tool just not sure the results would be favorable. 

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

Cybermonk ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2013 at 9:54 AM

ALT- S will fatten/shrink the selected polys.

Also you could use the inflate brush in the sculpting tools. Infact you could use several of the sculpting tools to tweak the hand.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination".

Albert Einstein

Michaelab ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2013 at 3:25 PM

Yes, Lobo3433, it is the same gnome. And yes, I tried manipulating the hand in Poser but the hand and fingers got weird. Doesn't seem to be much flexibility in the Poser morphs.

I'll try the inflate brush and other sculpting tools that Cybermonk has recommended. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thank you!

Michaelab ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2013 at 5:31 PM

file_499537.jpg

For some reason I can't get sculpt to work, not even on a cube. I go to Sculpt Mode, select the brush and paint away on the cube but nothing happens. Do I need to set up something?

Cybermonk ( ) posted Wed, 20 November 2013 at 6:03 PM

file_499552.jpg

That cube has 1 polygon to a side. That is not much definition to sculpt with. The reason you ar not having any effect is your brush is probably painting inside a big polygon like inthe picture. Hit the F KEY to resize your brush so it will hit he verts in the corners.  or better yet subdivide the cube so you have something to work with.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination".

Albert Einstein

unbroken-fighter ( ) posted Sat, 23 November 2013 at 5:11 AM

depending on what you are trying to sculpt you neeed to add topology to the mesh

in the 2.66 series and after there is a tool called dynamic topology in the sculpt menu on the left

go to sculpt mode and enable dynamic topology under the toplogy tab

you will see a button titled enable dynamic

that will tessalate the mesh only where you tell it to sculpt at

or you could use a subdivision surface modifier

Warlock279 ( ) posted Sat, 23 November 2013 at 2:25 PM

Quote - depending on what you are trying to sculpt you neeed to add topology to the mesh

in the 2.66 series and after there is a tool called dynamic topology in the sculpt menu on the left

go to sculpt mode and enable dynamic topology under the toplogy tab

you will see a button titled enable dynamic

that will tessalate the mesh only where you tell it to sculpt at

or you could use a subdivision surface modifier

Do NOT use dynamic topology if the mesh you're sculpting has UV maps on it already, I'm almost certain it will hose your UVs. I don't have time to test it right now, but generally that kind of change to the geometry is game over for any UV maps you have. The Subidivision Modifier I believe works with UVs, and the "Multiresolution" Modifier I know does, the latter being the most common modifier for sculpting.

Core i7 950@3.02GHz | 12GB Corsair Dominator Ram@1600mHz | 2GB Geforce GTX 660

Lightwave | Blender | Marmoset | GIMP | Krita

unbroken-fighter ( ) posted Sat, 23 November 2013 at 10:29 PM

that would be the reason i did post it as depending on

dynamic will 1000000% kill any mapping that was done it is used as an initial sculpt tool that can be retopo'd later

the subdidvision is designed to work with the mapsbut can be a bit hinky at times if you go too far with the sculpting

you could add loop cuts manualy without effecting the maps too much

but for general sculpting the base mesh needs added geometry if you use a simple primitive

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.