Mon, Jul 8, 11:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 26 1:13 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Roll Call

brycetech ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2013 at 9:54 PM · edited Mon, 08 July 2024 at 8:15 AM

Hi Brycers...

nice to see things are still moving on.  Not sure I'm crazy about R's new look...but...

Anyhow, it's been quite a while since I browsed the forum and was just wondering who..from back in the day...still frequents the bryce forum or if like me, many have let life get in the way of their art.

so...here's a roll call.

If you know who I am and remember "back when", please post and if you have something new to show, please post a link or the image itself.  I'd like to see  how things are progressing all these years later.

:)

BT

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2013 at 10:40 PM

bobbystahr present, soon to be retired as a Mod, but am hanging around as much as my music will allow after Halloween. Music needs more time and in fact I'm sitting here typing with my beautiful Daion electric on my lap.

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Hubert ( ) posted Sun, 20 October 2013 at 3:39 AM

Am still hanging around here regularly. Though I am brycing and posting much less frequently nowadays (due to changes in Job and Life).

Always be nice to Bryce and all Goodies to the Woodies,
Hubert

"All that we see or fear, is but a Sphere inside a Sphere."     (E. A. Pryce -- Tuesday afternoon, 1845)

orbital ( ) posted Sun, 20 October 2013 at 3:42 AM

Still drop in from time to time. The old place isn't as busy as it used to be though. The last couple of years have been slow for me creatively, but in the last month or so I've had a resurgence. I'm currently working on a series of space related images in the hope of a commission. Although photoshop accounts for the lions share of the work I used bryce to render some of the planets in this scene.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2477386

http://joevinton.blogspot.com/

orbital ( ) posted Sun, 20 October 2013 at 3:45 AM

file_498954.jpg

Here are a couple of others I have been working on.

orbital ( ) posted Sun, 20 October 2013 at 3:51 AM

file_498955.jpg

Another which also uses Bryce for the foreground.

orbital ( ) posted Sun, 20 October 2013 at 3:54 AM

file_498956.jpg

This one is all photoshop, but after trying to make a galaxy and failing before I'm pretty pleased how this one is coming on.

Navim ( ) posted Sun, 20 October 2013 at 5:48 AM · edited Sun, 20 October 2013 at 5:51 AM

A rollcall is a great idea. Where are some of the old timers like Meski, Pinhead and Frogdot? I know some have passed on but where are the rest....................?

Getting back into steady Brycing after several years of working poor status and health problems and computer crashes. Currently trying to finish up some old partial images and also developing a line of images based on the Alice In Wonderland books.

Cheers

Mike

ps Will post a couple of new images later today and link back to the list.

Navim ( ) posted Sun, 20 October 2013 at 6:46 AM

Hope this link works http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/member.php

Thought I could upload 3 images per 24 hours but evidently that has been reduced to 1 a day unless you pay a $5 per month subscription fee.

orbital ( ) posted Sun, 20 October 2013 at 6:56 AM · edited Sun, 20 October 2013 at 6:57 AM

Quote - Hope this link works http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/member.php

Thought I could upload 3 images per 24 hours but evidently that has been reduced to 1 a day unless you pay a $5 per month subscription fee.

No it only links to my homepage or whoever elses who clicks the link.

Heres the link you need

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2481171&user_id=448888&member&np

Navim ( ) posted Sun, 20 October 2013 at 8:27 AM

Thanks Joe. I will post that link over at the Delphi forums for Hamfast.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sun, 20 October 2013 at 10:14 AM

Quote - Hope this link works http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/member.php

It has always been one unles you pay AFAIK, but in freestuff you CAN upload 3 per day but we will only approve 1 every 24 hr period...I always found that a bit odd.

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Navim ( ) posted Sun, 20 October 2013 at 10:27 AM

Quote - > Quote - Hope this link works http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/member.php

It has always been one unles you pay AFAIK, but in freestuff you CAN upload 3 per day but we will only approve 1 every 24 hr period...I always found that a bit odd.

Odd is fine with me. Just look at what it did for Jim Morrison and Pink Floyd!

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sun, 20 October 2013 at 10:36 AM

heh heh heh, and me as well....lol

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

dan whiteside ( ) posted Sun, 20 October 2013 at 12:17 PM

I stop by but mostly view the Bryce galleries - stilll some mighty fine work being done with Bryce. Love yiur new sruff Joe!

IO4 ( ) posted Sun, 20 October 2013 at 1:40 PM

I'm still around after a few years of being on Rendro, but I havent' hardly touched Bryce in the last year or so due to life getting in the way - so I did have a little tinker the other day, spurred on by the 15 min challenge,  and just did a basic image:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2480487&user_id=347007&np&np

I can't believe I last posted in 2011...still a diehard Bryce fan though :biggrin:

Beginners tutorials for Bryce

Bryce Arena

chohole ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2013 at 6:35 AM

I am still around, but have somewhat deserted Renderosity and spend more time over at Daz 3D nowadays.; where I somehow ended up as the Bryce forum Mod.  😊

Brycetech, have sent you a sitemail

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

Navim ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2013 at 8:07 AM

There is a goup of some size on Delphi Forums that is sort of in between 'osity and Daz. A lot of the old brycers hang out there.

IO4 ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2013 at 8:43 AM

Quote - There is a goup of some size on Delphi Forums that is sort of in between 'osity and Daz. A lot of the old brycers hang out there.

Great reminder thanks - haven't visted that forum in  a long while.

Beginners tutorials for Bryce

Bryce Arena

Navim ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2013 at 8:45 AM

Lol! Did I say goup? Thats "Group!"

ronmolina ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2013 at 12:21 PM

I stop by and look from time to time. Have had Bryce since the late 90's. Currently have the latest version. Play with it from time to time but have made no post of renders. Likely will soon.

Ron Molina

dyret ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2013 at 4:56 PM

Not from that age but @Bobby: Wow! Tha guitar!

skiwillgee ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2013 at 9:54 PM

Hi brycetech,

Your tutorials and such have been missed.  As several have said, things have slowed here.  

I too have slowed up in Bryce pursuits but here are a couple that I've done since you where a regular.

https://market.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1998907&user_id=290155&np&np

https://market.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2349646&user_id=290155&np&np

datadraw50 ( ) posted Mon, 28 October 2013 at 8:30 AM

Hi everyone, I miss the seasoned artists who have moved on. I'm basically an unknown in the galleries as I am a beginner and have only posted about 40 images in the bryce gallery over the last 7 years.  I changed service provider and had too rejoin the site under a new name (my current name is datadraw50). (Formerly, I was datadraw1).  I admire and respect the work of the artists who have set the ground work for people like myself.  The most difficult thing, is thinking of an original idea for a picture, that has not been done to death already. Nowadays, there are a few new artists in the bryce gallery, whose work I question, as they seem to get high ratings for beginner type pictures. Or those that go on and on and on, with the same type of picture for months, sooo boring. What I look for myself is, critical statements on my work, so I can improve and learn from those folks who know art. I think Bryce is a great program for creating and rendering pictures, it's sad that DAZ didn't get the rights to change it to the 64bit platform. The renders you can get with Bryce are near VRay quality. One day, Bryce will be put on the back shelf for good. I was glad to have  good and bad experiences with it.  I appreciate all comments and ratings on my past pictures.  I will post pictures in the gallery again, in the near future. To all of you, a tip of the hat, Thanks, Kevin.

Navim ( ) posted Mon, 28 October 2013 at 9:49 AM

I am experiencing a rebirth of use in Bryce. Despite the onslaught of Vue, the improved lighting, sky lab and Bryce trees has opened new avenues in Bryce whereby an experienced user can come very close to or exceed a Vue image. Just for an experiment I posted one of my better Bryce images in the Vue gallery. It went unquestioned for two years, reaching a 5.0 ranking very quickly, and having made my point it was recently removed.

The current thrust in 3D seems to be hyper-realism which is counter productive to good art. If you want realism then go buy a point and shoot camera. Bryce still gives a sense of visual mystique to images absent from other programs.

it is most unfortunate that Bryce is not an independently owned program and now is subject to an increasingly monopolistic companys quest for profit. It will probably die off for the most part with an occasional rebirth in the art community from time to time.

johnyf ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2013 at 11:00 AM · edited Tue, 29 October 2013 at 11:02 AM

"The current thrust in 3d seems to be hyper-realism which is counter productive to good art. If you want realism then go buy a point and shoot camera."

I gather from this that you are not a fan of Hollywood movies which use hyper-realistic CG quite extensively to great effect. Also, please tell me where the ruins of the hyper-realistic Metropolis can be found in the real world as I would love to go and shoot some snaps among the ruins with my point and shoot camera!

How is realism counter productive to good art any more than any other genre. It's just another form of art, which probaly takes alot longer to do than say a still life or abstract. 

CG allows you to create anything your mind can think of, wether it be realistic or surreal!

johnyf ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2013 at 11:58 AM

oop's, should add...Hi Brycetech!

Navim ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2013 at 8:55 AM

Quote - "The current thrust in 3d seems to be hyper-realism which is counter productive to good art. If you want realism then go buy a point and shoot camera."

I gather from this that you are not a fan of Hollywood movies which use hyper-realistic CG quite extensively to great effect. Also, please tell me where the ruins of the hyper-realistic Metropolis can be found in the real world as I would love to go and shoot some snaps among the ruins with my point and shoot camera!

How is realism counter productive to good art any more than any other genre. It's just another form of art, which probaly takes alot longer to do than say a still life or abstract. 

CG allows you to create anything your mind can think of, wether it be realistic or surreal!

I was thinking of programs such Daz and Poser who have resorted to photographing real people to use as textures for their models. Thanks but no thanks. The early textures that were created in paint programs were in my opinion just as attractive as the current batch, and more relative to traditional art than the Playboy "centerfold genre."

I do in fact enjoy some hyper realism in scifi movies of which I have been a fan since reading the works of Andrea Norton as a teen; also Heinlein and Clarke. Back then hyper-realism was what your imagination created for you and everybodys was unique to that individual. Recently though hyper realism is again in my opinion, being carried to levels that border on completely unreal resulting in a disappointing viewing experience. A recent example would be the Battleship movie in which the USS Iowa is enlisted to help repel an alien invasion of Hawaii where giant grinding wheels are spreading havoc and destruction. Give me some air! This sort of mix and match of reality and un-reality are about as accomodating to one another as oil and water and about as appealing based on the movies rapid decline to the cable channels.

As to finding any hyper realistic metropolises in ruins to photograph I guess you will have to got to Abu dhabi, Bejing or Toyko and wait for the next asteroid strike. Its a bit late for Hiroshima or Dresden.................................

johnyf ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2013 at 11:12 AM

Now that you have explained what you said more fully, I have to say I totally agree with you. I find it exasperating when movie makers have the capability to produce realistic scenes but then go completely OTT and ruin it. Several movies come to mind, such as the underground scenes in The Hobbit and Prince Of Persia being two of the worst I can think of.

When I said "tell me where the ruins of the hyper-realistic Metropolis can be found in the real world as I would love to go and shoot some snaps among the ruins with my point and shoot camera" I was referring to the Movie "Man of Steel" where Metropolis gets trashed, and the fact that you couldn't possibly go out and film that, you can only do it with realistic CG.

I think we are actually on the same page!

clay ( ) posted Sat, 02 November 2013 at 7:54 PM

I'm still lurking about too David, Everyone bryce naked and do chairspins WHEEEEEeeeeeee..PLOP!!!

Do atleast one thing a day that scares the hell outta ya!!

brycetech ( ) posted Sun, 03 November 2013 at 8:54 PM · edited Sun, 03 November 2013 at 8:58 PM

really nice to hear from the new and "old".

I, sadly, have not opened bryce in a couple years now.  In fact, my "beast" computer is not even hooked up.  Funny that I spent all that money buying the baddest  bryce machine i could..and now its not even hooked up (8 processors, 56 gigs of ram, over 2 terra of hdd)

I looked at similar now..and they go for a small fraction of what I paid back then.

I noticed that the counts are down for the posts..even the numbers of current users online shows that life has gotten in the way of most of us and our art.

I've nosed around in your galleries..and its nice to see that some are still carrying the torch.  Whats the latest with Bryce anyhow? what version is the current? is active development continuing?

oh..and someone said "frogdot"...lol...for those of you that didnt know him, he was absolutely a joker among the crowd! I'd love to know what happened to him.  My fav memory of what he did was when we all were having a big crystal castle contest and I'd posted that thing that took 26 hours to save and he posted the same thing built out of toothpicks! lol 

did that train that brycester was building ever get built from one of the other challenges? (how many of you even remember the train?)

keep posting..would love to see more of your works all!

really good to see

:)

bonito_lil ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 11:37 PM

I used to be called Lil in these parts, and hung out here and in the Mojoworld forum before a series of ISP changes forced me to forge a brand-new identity here. It's coincidental that just last month there were creakings and groanings from the Mojo forum, as members wondered who was still around.

I still do Bryce. I find it incredibly fragile, even running in compatability mode, on a toshiba satellite running lately-amended Windows 8. I can't even bring up Windows Explorer during a render without creating big square holes in the screen display. Would it help if I buy 7 Pro?

And yet Mojoworld, which hasn't been touched by a developer since 2007, is as robust as can be in compatability mode, even continuing to render happily when the lid's down on the laptop.

I've been using Bryce since v2 and would love to keep on, but if it can't cross the 64-bit barrier, perhaps its time is limited. Which would be sad.

ddaydreams ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2013 at 11:34 PM · edited Tue, 19 November 2013 at 11:48 PM

Still lurking here once in a while.

No Bryce art to post right now but still doing art, with plans to do much more.

These days I do Vue, Photoshop, Filterforge and will be doing more Vector work, Learning Adobe Illustrator and still doing some landscape photography.

Frank Hawkins/Owner/DigitalDaydreams

Frank_Hawkins_Design

Frank Lee Hawkins Eastern Sierra Gallery Store

My U.S.A eBay Graphics Software Store~~ My International eBay Graphics Software Store

Beakbryce4 ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2013 at 9:35 AM · edited Sun, 24 November 2013 at 9:36 AM

Used Bryce since the late 90's, not an artist and not especially knowledgeable, don’t post much because I really can’t answer questions, but I enjoy lurking here on the forum to see what folks are posting about Bryce. I find the discussions interesting. Don't have time to do a lot but have put a few renders in the gallery this year.

SndCastie ( ) posted Tue, 26 November 2013 at 12:39 PM

I am still here now and then and I remember you well :) Nice to see you posting again

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

Burpee ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2013 at 10:16 AM

I remember some of the names here.  Been quite a few years for me too.  Just didn't have the time to browse or even create anymore.  Most of my time is taken up with real life.  Every so often I get a notice that someone has PM'd me and asked where I am and if I'm still alive, lol.

RobertJ ( ) posted Sun, 01 December 2013 at 2:39 PM

I am still around, playing with XNALara now and then and trying things out with Bryce.

Robert van der Veeke Basugasubasubasu Basugasubakuhaku Gasubakuhakuhaku!! "Better is the enemy of good enough." Dr. Mikoyan of the Mikoyan Gurevich Design Bureau.

UVDan ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2013 at 6:08 PM
Forum Moderator

I'm still here.  When are you putting together a new beta test team?

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

wscottart ( ) posted Sun, 08 December 2013 at 1:57 PM

Still here.  But really got addicted to Runescape for many years, but have broken free of that so spending a lot of time once again in Bryce, Carrara and Poser. Mostly check in over at the other forum with the victoria creators. Nothing new to really show though.

brycetech ( ) posted Thu, 12 December 2013 at 12:48 AM

Hi all

I have approached DAZ and have not gotten any response.

my proposal was to offer all brycetech dvd tutorials and content for free!

so..since I have gotten no response, I'm now coming to the community to host this.

this will be all brycetech tutorial dvd's

all included models, tutorials, videos..everything

but its must all be for free download and available for free to all brycers

we need the breath..we need the push!

if you have a way/place to host them all..this represents GB of data! please contact me!

BT

max- ( ) posted Fri, 20 December 2013 at 4:59 PM

Hello old friends,

Things sure have changed since the good old days when I would post a new image, just fresh out of my new dual-core computer, almost every week.  Now that very same computer was sold at a garage sale dirt cheap, while I'm basically living in limbo looking for a new home to settle down.... hopefully somewhere quiet and comfy where I can once again find inspiration and motivation, buy a new computer, and embark upon a new era of art.

The lack of Bryce updates doesn't help either.... just makes a depressing situation more depressing.  But these things always go in cycles - an era begins, grows to a peak of excitement and fun, then declines .... until a new cycle begins.  It seems that everything follows such a cycle, from organic life to stars.

Anyway, I still miss those wonderful old days, but sadly you can't bring back the past.  Perhaps the future holds a new excitement... who knows.  

Max V. Nimos.

"An Example is worth Ten Thousand Words"

EricofSD ( ) posted Fri, 03 January 2014 at 1:22 AM · edited Fri, 03 January 2014 at 1:27 AM

file_500624.JPG

Brycetec, back in 2001, when I finally quit lurking and joined Rendo (and I do remember the PFO days), you commented on one of my early Bryce renders.  It meant so much to me.  Thanks.  Glad to see you are still around. 

I think this was the one. Or a version like it.

I remember telling you that the fun thing about this new CG world that I was discovering is that I could make models (in Bryce) and put the camera where I wanted.  It was the first time I experienced an interactive view of space, or the ocean or anything that my mind and keyboard could create.

You were so encouraging.  I have very much enjoyed your style and I wish you a great 2014!

Eric

Nukeboy ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2014 at 12:44 PM

Wow! Some great "old timers" joining in.  Brycetech, between you and Bill Munns, you're the original Bryce guru.

I haven't been around for a while, work interfering with life... Glad to see the forum still breathing.

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 08 January 2014 at 2:20 AM

Have we heard from Susan Kitchens?

Flak ( ) posted Thu, 09 January 2014 at 4:05 AM · edited Thu, 09 January 2014 at 4:09 AM

Hi BT!!

I'm around, but only just  - I still check this forum every so often to see who's still here, but.....

I've gone to the dark side (i.e. V**).

In general I don't post much on rosity anymore (mainly cos I haven't done many images of late in any software - real life TM), but am mainly involved with a facebook V** group, where I also don't post much either... hmmm...

Dave L

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

Ang25 ( ) posted Sat, 11 January 2014 at 12:28 PM

Here..

ThunderStone ( ) posted Wed, 15 January 2014 at 12:31 PM

I'm here, tho I spend most of my rendering time in Poser and LuxRender. I occasionally will open Bryce just to play around and not lose myskillset. Last one I did was last year for a contest over in DeviantArt. Tea Party at Sunset and The Long Road Home . There are a few others that are posted over at Deviant Art but not here. I stopped putting them up here because just a few people ever view my work here. There are too many people putting up their works here, it's easy to get lost in the crowd. You really have to be very very very very, meh, excellent to even get notice.

It was nice to see all the old-timers and new timers here. I'll drop by from time to time to view some postings and see what's up with Bryce here. But you won't find me over at DAZ any more. They change not just the store but also the feel of the forum. Not going back over there again, unless I have to get an item that I can't get elsewhere. Genesis and Dawn and the whole mess of new generation of critters.... I'm staying far away from.

Right now I'm rendering so I'll just go and read the rest of this forum.

Happy DAYS!!!!

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

EricofSD ( ) posted Fri, 24 January 2014 at 12:38 AM

Wheee!  Ok, I guess I best fire it up.  I have a dual CPU machine with 6 cores to each CPU and virtual cores.  So all the modern apps see 24 cores.  Bryce sees 6 at 80 percent and 2 at 20 percent IF you set render priority to high.  Bryce needs some serious coding.

erosiaart ( ) posted Thu, 30 January 2014 at 7:08 AM

Am here!! whistels hellooooo!! So good to see you all! Missed you'll like mad..though I seem to have been the one who disappeared.  Been busy photoshopping and volunteering with museums. Also been getting messed about by immigration officers, so been travelling between UK, Spain and India. Nothing I did wrong. Just they stopping the wrong people. Right now, am in Barca till mid Feb. Not so sure which direction I'll be. Theresa May has been sent a letter by an MP about me. I have no idea if I travel east or west next month.. Life's been a bummer. Bryce is still with me..and I still use it.. 

@Thunderstone.. Daz is terrible. I asked for a change in password as I can't remember what I used..though am sure it's the same one I put is..and I get no reply. I have no idea where or who to go to. 

Btw..the latest image I put in is in my gallery... photoshop though.

@EricofSD..that's always been a probs of bryce. : -(  

ThunderStone ( ) posted Thu, 30 January 2014 at 8:25 AM

Quote - @Thunderstone.. Daz is terrible. I asked for a change in password as I can't remember what I used..though am sure it's the same one I put is..and I get no reply. I have no idea where or who to go to. 

Go to their customer support section under Help/Contact Us menu. Then file a support ticket. There's usually a catch-22 problem with that but if they ask for your password, you can always click on the link that says something like "Forget Password?"

Or look up on their horrible FAQ section about forgotten passwords and how to retrieve them.

WOW!!! You're a world traveler now. Enjoying the cuisine? :m_wink:

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

NefariousDrO ( ) posted Sat, 01 February 2014 at 10:03 PM

Hola folks!
NefariousDrO here. I've never been very active here on the forums, but I used to post a good deal more Bryce art a few years back. These days, like so many others, life has kept getting in the way. However, lately I've made a more concerted effort to get myself back in the saddle, and while I wouldn't say I've done anything on the super-grand end of the scale, I'm gradually kicking my creativity back into gear. Mostly what's inspiring it is tinkering with materials and textures in an effort to make more "realistic-looking" asteroids. Not quite there yet, but making progress.

More recent posts include:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2504921&user_id=482194&member&np

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2506571&user_id=482194&member&np

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.