Sat, Aug 3, 9:55 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Animation

Welcome to the Animation Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Animation F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 09 7:44 am)

In here we will dicuss everything that moves.

Characters, motion graphics, props, particles... everything that moves!
Enjoy , create and share :)
Remember to check the FAQ for useful information and resources.

Animation learning and resources:

[Animations]

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: What apps should I use in game dev?

CountRugen ( ) posted Tue, 03 December 2013 at 9:20 AM · edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 9:33 AM

Hey folks!

I am an experienced developer transitioning into hobbyist game creation using the Unity3D game engine. While my skills in that arena are evolving nicely, I'm clueless as to 3D modeling and animation. If I'm a coder, why am I trying to learn modeling and animation? Basically, I'm not trying to become a pro, I just wish to have a handle on the whole game production process, start to finish (which includes learning the basics of modeling and animation).

Long story short: for an utter n00b to the process, what are the applications primarily used to generate 3D models and animation for games? I'm guessing it looks something like this...

1. Custom build a 3D Model = Photoshop, Poser ?

2. Or just buy a 3D Model

3. Build out it's animations = Maya, 3DS Max ?

4. Export it as some form of asset/object/file to be imported into a game dev SDK

After I hear your input, I will try to use those apps to generate the models for the test game I'm making.

nemirc ( ) posted Tue, 03 December 2013 at 9:55 AM

If you're using Unity, you need an app that can export to FBX format. You could even use Blender for that, I assume (it's free). No need to use that many apps unless you need to do something very specific. How to import the assets depends on how your engine works.

Poser models are not suitable for games because their polygon count is way too high. Besides, the Poser figure license doesn't allow using assets in game engines because geometry could be extracted somehow.

nemirc
Renderosity Magazine Staff Writer
https://renderositymagazine.com/users/nemirc
https://about.me/aris3d/

animajikgraphics ( ) posted Tue, 03 December 2013 at 10:23 AM · edited Tue, 03 December 2013 at 10:25 AM

You can get a game lcense from mamy vendors, including DAZ figures, but they are a tad expensive.  Check with the model vendor in question first.

Most 3D apps can export FBX (which Unity requires for import) - in the case of DAZ poser models, you can use the Decimator app (also by DAZ) to reduce the poly count suitable for gaming.

As suggested above, both Blender and DAZ Studio (Daz not so much for moddleing, but rigging) are free 3D apps, but almost any other can be used for animation development and modeling (and animation) such as Maya, C4D, Modo, 3DMax, etc.

-AniMajik

FatCatAlley.net | Now Playing "SpaceCat 5" Parts 1 and 2

CountRugen ( ) posted Tue, 03 December 2013 at 10:43 AM

Thanks for the input. I'd like a bit more clarity though, if you have the time. 

Nemirc, if I were establishing a game dev shop, what app you would recommend the 3D modelers/animators use as a total solution?

Animajikgraphics, pretty much the same thing I'm asking Nemirc above. Basically you are saying that Maya, C4D, Modo, 3DMax are the one-stop-shop apps, but if I went the cheaper route, Blender and Daz would require some extra steps? Can you elaborate on that?

Thanks again folks

animajikgraphics ( ) posted Tue, 03 December 2013 at 11:45 AM

You can use Blender (for modeling), Daz for rigging and Decimator for reducing the poly count without any problem - even with the higher-end apps you'd still have to rig your models, and reduce the poly count (or model with low poly in mind).  So, no matter which way you go, you may require several apps for your workflow.

It really comes down to what app you feel most confortable working with.  I prefer C4D and Daz Studio route, but others will problably prefer other apps.   They all have their strengths andweaknesses, but it comes down to what you're comfortable with.

Since you are starting out with modeling and animation, I'd go with the free route. Daz Studio has the necessary FBX exporter as do all the other 3D apps (for import into Unity) - Daz can import poser animations, BVH and it's own AniBlocks for animations (or created your own and save as BVH for export to Unity)

Remember, you will also need to add Photoshop (or Elements) to your workflow as well, for texturing!  Daz Texture Atlas works well for use with Unity.  I'm sure there are other apps that can do this as well, but these are my choices.

I too, am learning Unity and hope to go full bore into gaming next year.

I'm sure Nemirc with have his own preferences in 3D apps and utils (Maya I beleive).

There are so many aspects to Unity and it requires so many assets, there is no one tool that will do it all, so you'll need several in your arsnal!  Hope that helps a bit.

Oh, and we haven't even touched on sound design! :)  But that's another thread.

-AniMajik

FatCatAlley.net | Now Playing "SpaceCat 5" Parts 1 and 2

nemirc ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2013 at 12:37 AM

Hello again. Well, my advice won't be that different. It's about the tool you find easier to use, as the previous poster said (and also about how much you're able to spend).

For my current workflow, I use UDK for development, Maya for modeling and animation, Softimage for facial animation and Photoshop for texturing. The reason I use Maya is mainly because I've been using it for ages (around 12 years maybe), and I use Softimage for facial animation because Facerobot is killer for facial animation. The same applies to Unity since all it requires is that the models are stored in FBX format (other engines are more specific about file formats).

Unity also offers a lot of 3d models in their asset store. There are even some very good free 3d models from Mixamo that you can use. They are in FBX format, so you can use it inside your 3d application.

What I'd personally do in your case, assuming I was on a budget: Pick Unity, Blender and Photoshop (or Gimp). Stay away from high-end-like games and focus on cartoony ones like maybe WOW or even WarCraft III. Stay away from mobile games (this last one is a personal perception mostly).

nemirc

Xerxes0002 ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2013 at 11:29 PM

There is a Steam special version of Modo for game it does FBX and some gaming format that I cant remember.  The FBX in that version has some limits.

nemirc ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2013 at 12:51 AM

I don't use Modo and I was not aware of the Steam edition, but I'm pretty sure it has some limitations compared to the full version available on The Foundry's website, because it's far cheaper.

Isn't the steam edition of Modo meant to make content only for DOTA2 or valve games?

nemirc

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.