Wed, Sep 18, 10:15 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Is there anyway to...

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2014 at 5:40 AM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 10:10 AM

Get a partial shrinkwrap in Blender?

I don't need to do the whole thing. Then I'd just be starting over. But there are times when I need to say just  fit the top part of a dress to a figure. Or something like that.  What does "Snap to" do and how do I work that if it's what I need?

Cybermonk ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2014 at 7:16 AM

Yup create a vertex group of the area you want use. You can specifie that vertex group in the shrinkwrap modifier.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination".

Albert Einstein

Cybermonk ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2014 at 7:21 AM

Yeah you can use the snap to tweak indiviual verticises. Just set the snap to faces and closest.

Albert Einstein

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2014 at 7:26 AM

Great! Now, after I figure out how to do that, I'll be all set!

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2014 at 7:41 AM

Quote - Yeah you can use the snap to tweak indiviual verticises. Just set the snap to faces and closest.

In this video, the chappie discusses what you need to know at about 2:40 mins into it.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

tchadensis ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2014 at 8:00 AM

While learning Blender I discovered that there are a billion....no...really!, I counted them, video tutorials for Blender on youtube.  Now that the interface isn't ridiculous and just plain stupid anymore, it's user base has exploded and it seems that everyone is making tutorials.  I have yet to have a question (and I've had lots of them) that I couldn't answer this way.  A side benefit is that one usually finds answers to questions one didn't even know one had while researching the original question.  I keep the videos for reference and have them sorta arranged on a portable drive by category.

Cybermonk ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2014 at 10:41 AM

file_506054.jpg

Hope this helps With the Vertex Groups.

Albert Einstein

Cybermonk ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2014 at 10:42 AM

file_506055.jpg

And the shrink wrap.

Albert Einstein

Cybermonk ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2014 at 10:47 AM

file_506056.jpg

Turn on snaping. Set it to faces and nearest. Now select a vertice and hit G.  This will snap it to the nearest face. Drag it to where ever you want it and left click to drop it in place.

Albert Einstein

Cybermonk ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2014 at 12:22 PM

file_506062.jpg

Oh yeah if your are using the snap to retopo its a good I dea to turn on Xray for you retopo mesh. It makes it easier to see.

Albert Einstein

cfpage ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2014 at 1:16 PM

while on the subject (vertes groups)Iam trying to creat a face morph for poser

I have no problems to so exept when doing a smile for instance if I use the sculpt or proportional edit, it effects the teeth how can I make them Isolated  from those tools.

thanks.

Cybermonk ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2014 at 1:54 PM

Tab into edit mode select the teeth faces and hit H key this will hide them. Alt+H key to get them back. This will protect them from your sculpting

Albert Einstein

cfpage ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2014 at 2:00 PM

Quote - Tab into edit mode select the teeth faces and hit H key this will hide them. Alt+H key to get them back. This will protect them from your sculpting

that was to easy thank you

Cybermonk ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2014 at 2:18 PM

No problem

Albert Einstein

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2014 at 3:07 PM

Thanks for your help Cybermonk. That saved me a LOT of reworking.

Cybermonk ( ) posted Sun, 27 July 2014 at 3:47 PM

Always glad to help my fellow Blender peeps.  Besides I needed to take a break from on Blender problems.

Albert Einstein

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2014 at 11:51 AM

I'm looking to create piping on some clothing I'm making. Here's the problem. I'm making the clothing to be used in Poser's Cloth room.  That said, what's the easiest way to make piping in Blender?

Cybermonk ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2014 at 12:40 PM

Piping is like a rounded or folded trim right? You can model it in Blender the problem is Poser. I only have poser 7 myself so I'm not sure about the newer versions but if I remember corectly dynamic cloth needs to be single layer mesh. This piping will not react well with the cloth simulator. Unless you do it with like a bump map.

Albert Einstein

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 16 August 2014 at 5:30 AM

Hmmm, ...bump maps again. I'm starting to sense that people are telling me to learn how to texture.

Cybermonk ( ) posted Sat, 16 August 2014 at 10:21 AM

Sorry to be the bear·er of bad news

It would work with conforminging in Poser. If you were doing it in Blender you could add thickness with the solidify modifier and a vertex group. That would not interfear with the cloth sim. Unfortunaly I think bump map is it for Poser Dynamic Cloth.

Albert Einstein

heddheld ( ) posted Sat, 16 August 2014 at 1:37 PM

could try setting the pipping as soft decorated (set it as vertex group in blender)

not sure if it will work ;-)

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 16 August 2014 at 3:27 PM

It's just that my texturing sucks. I have about two outfits for Roxie and at least one for Rex that I can't really do anything with because of texturing. And i'm not good enough to model the finer details in Blender yet.

heddheld ( ) posted Sat, 16 August 2014 at 4:40 PM

lol

all I can say is we all suck at sumat ;-)

someone told me Van Gogh was deaf in one ear and Da Vinci couldnt stateboard rofl

but one day EClark may be as famous as [insert name here]

just practise/learn ~ do it again but quicker/better

BUT most of all have fun

Cybermonk ( ) posted Sat, 16 August 2014 at 8:38 PM

file_506677.png

Well I would work on some UVmaping tuts 1st and then move on to texturing. Also you can make some great textures/brushes with Blender itself. I mean you can actually model a texture/patern. lol Yeah I like Blender better than Gimp. Including a texture made with Blender.

Albert Einstein

Cybermonk ( ) posted Sat, 16 August 2014 at 8:42 PM

file_506678.png

This just a UV mapped Cube with the texture aplied. But you can see how you can leverage a little work into something more complex.

Albert Einstein

keppel ( ) posted Sun, 17 August 2014 at 6:53 AM

Here is how I do this type of piping (Lofting) in Blender.

Select your mesh and in edit mode (edges) select an edgeloop where you want the piping to go.

Press Shift+D followed by enter to duplicate the edgeloop then immediately press "P" and choose selection.  This separates the edgeloop from the original mesh without moving its position.

Select your original mesh and press "H" to hide it, you should now be left with the duplicated edgeloop.

In Object mode select your duplicated edgeloop.  Press Alt+C and choose Curve from Mesh/Text.  This converts your edgeloop mesh to a curve.

In general 3D terms you now have a "path" that you can loft a "profile curve" along.

Now add a bezier circle to your scene.

Select your path curve and in the Properties panel select the Curve tab.

Click on the Bevel Object field (in Geometry) and select the Bezier Circle that is listed.

You will now see the profile curve lofted along the path curve.  You will probably find that the lofted shape is way to big.  To fix this select your profile curve (Bezier Circle) and scale it down.  You may have realised at this point that what ever shape your profile curve is that is what gets lofted along your path.  If you select your profile curve and change to edit mode and move the points around you will see the changes in the lofted mesh.

If you unhide your original mesh you will now see that the lofted mesh follows the original edgeloop.

A couple of tips at this stage. 

If you still needed to subdivided your original mesh you will want to avoid creating a heavily dense mesh in your lofted mesh.

To adress this select your profile curve.

In the curve properties panel look for the "Preview U" box (in Resolution).

Reduce the default number to around 2-4.  If you zoom in on your lofted mesh, then change the "Preview U" number you will see the effect this has on the loft.  By reducing the resolution of the loft it will reduce the density of the mesh when it gets subdivided later.

Once your happy with the result select the lofted mesh and press Alt+C and change the selection to "Mesh from Curve".  Now you can delete the profiel curve as it is no longer needed unless you have other lofts to do that you want the same profile.

At this stage the original mesh and your lofted mesh will have the same number of rings.  So if you need to make the two meshes one continuous mesh you can delete any unwanted faces on the lofted mesh and then "Bridge Edgeloops" to join them.

Now you can subdivide and smooth as required. 

My Renderosity Store
Virtual Furnishing
My Portfolio

Cybermonk ( ) posted Sun, 17 August 2014 at 8:38 AM

@Keppel nice tutorial Keppel. That is definately the way to do this.

Is there a way though to keep the piping in good shape in Poser's Cloth Simulator? I'm not that great in Poser so I'm not sure.

Albert Einstein

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.