Fri, Sep 20, 7:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 4:16 am)

Subject: need some help on a re install of Daz 4.6

woodcarver2 ( ) posted Sat, 26 July 2014 at 4:18 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 7:29 AM

Ok guys and gals I need some advise on reinstalling Daz4.6 . Thru the years of installing and uninstalling stuff my runtimes have really gotten corrupt I have some runtimes within runtimes from bad installs and file set ups in programs that I downloaded. I now unzip to a temp folder all the time so that will not happen again so  I think the only way forward is to reinstall Daz and maybe not put everything back in  so it will run better and faster. not sure on that but makes sense to me if there is not so much stuff to look at it may run faster and it will help me not to have to look and try and fine something that I want to use.  if there is something that I need later on I can try and find it in my back up folder and install it then. hopefully anyway.  the problem is that I don't have my Daz program installed were everyone else has and not sure were all the files are at that I need to delete before I reinstall daz, My DAZinstall is on drive J: but other things are in my Documents and in program files. seems that they are every were. so if some one can tell me a better way to install Daz I sure will but I don't like to put things on C: drive because that is the drive that seems to crash more then any other on a system. doing a new install I would like to keep my "*Daz install manager"    and * just point it to the new install drive  so I can  get  all of the things that I have paid for back into the program  Does anyone have any thoughts on this and how to make it the lease painful in doing it.

please help if you can so I can get this thing back up and working again.  let me know how you all have yours installed with out being on the default drive if you have a setup like I do.  and how does yours work.

I am on a windows 7  64 bit with 16 gig of memory and a 9800 video card with 1 gig on the card.

thanks for any help

woody2

cedarwolf ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2014 at 7:30 PM

Lurking because I have much the same problem.  Mine is spread out over two USB drives and the hard drive itself.

manleystanley ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2014 at 8:45 AM

Sorry, this is one of those thorn in my side things.

DAZ is the company, Studio is the application you are trying to install. DAZ also devs Carrara, Bryce, Hexagon, and a slew of plugins.

Now let Studio install where it wants; programs files, and let it install it's library where it needs it; my document. Now are you going DAZ content or Poser? Or both?

Find all your stray runtimes and content folders; I feel for you, at one time I had DAZ content in 4 different places because of using the crap installers. Sort your runtimes as you want, I personally hate a conglomerate runtime and why I dislike the studio; cluster F, "my library" folder. Which is where all your Studio content must go; unless you want to complicate it. I haven't tried to have an extrenal Studio content folder for a while so DAZ may have imporved it.

Now I opt for manual installation of content. As you have found unzipping/installing content to a "dummy" folder is quite helpful in keeping folder structure right; I hate imbeded runtimes/content folders{runtime in a runtime}. Where you install poser content to is up to you, all mine; 26 active runtimes, are on my E drive{ I have 3 HDDS totaling 2Tbites}. I leave Studio content where it wants to be; avoid battles that you can lol .

Now I can run you through organizing folders in a runtime, but I'm lost with the studio content folder.

Best advice? Clean slate before reinstall; not an easy task with Studio. Make a dummy content folder on a different drive, install to it, sort, then transfer to the main "my libarary" in documents. Take your time, verify everything, and you should be able to avoid most content issues.

I feel for you, took years of hair pulling for me to get it all sorted out. Having 2 "contentsort" folders was quite helpful. One for Studio content and one for Poser content. making sure it is all right before cut&paste/drag&drop is essential.

jestmart ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2014 at 11:33 AM

The first thing you need to do is open Control Panel on your computer and under Tools select Folder Options and in the View tab check Show Hidden... and click apply.  Now you can hunt down all the DAZ related files and folders.  There may be some in the two Program Files folders and there Common folders.  ProgramData (which was a hidden folder) often has some.  Then there are a bunch in Users/[user name]/Documents/...;  Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/...:  and  Users/Public/Documents/...

Once you think you found and deleted all that you should run a regristry cleaner before re-installing.

DIM is a great program if you take the time to set up you preferences (click the little gear icon).

cedarwolf ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2014 at 3:25 PM

I aint none too bright in the programming area, but I would think someone could figure out a small program that you point at the library you want to import, point it at the installation, push the button, and have it transfer, install, and trouble shoot for you.

Am I just being nieve again?

Tony_Stark ( ) posted Thu, 28 August 2014 at 3:50 PM

DAZ3D is the name of the company. DAZ Studio is one of their products.

You're best keeping things as simple as possible.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.