Fri, Oct 4, 3:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: So what's the best filter to convert a render in to a 2D painted look ?

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2014 at 1:05 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 3:34 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_507494.jpg

Here is a ruff example of what I'm looking for

So what's the best filter to convert a render in to a 2D painted look ?

Thanks a lot :)

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

pumeco ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2014 at 5:08 AM

"Here is a ruff example of what I'm looking for"

Me too!

pumeco ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2014 at 5:09 AM

... as for the filter, Filter Forge has an incredible paint filter, really very nice!

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2014 at 6:14 AM

caan u posta link please?

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2014 at 6:17 AM
Site Admin

Virtual Painter 5.0 is a great one I use alot. This is a sample using the fauvist style.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2014 at 6:20 AM
Site Admin

Here is is with oil painting. There's a lot less distortion.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2014 at 6:20 AM
Site Admin

and here is the original.

piersyf ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2014 at 6:34 AM · edited Fri, 26 September 2014 at 6:35 AM

What style? What medium? All different. It's how the artist puts the paint on the surface that makes it work, so NO software will do what an artist can do. Virtual Painter is pretty good, but I can asure you I've seen 13 year olds do better with oils than what this program generates.

pumeco ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2014 at 7:30 AM · edited Fri, 26 September 2014 at 7:36 AM

"caan u posta link please?"

Click for Filter Forge

As I write this, it's actually showing the filter on the main page (look at the first and third dot), and if you click on the "Filters" tab and search for stuff like "Watercolor", "Painting", "Grunge" and "Sketch" etc, you'll see pages of great filters, and all of the filters are part of and can be loaded into Filter Forge.

You can go further and edit the filters themselves, the way they work, and the system is even able to run standalone.  Absolutely the best filter system on the planet IMHO, because once you have it, I honestly can't see why you'd ever need another.  If a filter doesn't do quite what you want, you can edit it using drag'n'drop so that it does.

Try the demo and load it up with those paint and sketch filters ;-)
I can imagine Filter Forge is a comic artists paradise.

pumeco ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2014 at 7:53 AM

BTW, look at the eighth dot as well.

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2014 at 10:32 AM

file_507510.jpg

Alienskin "SnapArt" filters for photoshop has some decent  "oil paint" filters.

My website

YouTube Channel

booksbydavid ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2014 at 11:23 AM

PostworkShop has a variety of 'painterly' filters in various styles. Works well with Poser renders.

Onone software's Perfect Effects also can be used for this. You can combine various effects to get just about any style you'd like.

I use and like both. :)

icprncss2 ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2014 at 12:34 PM

Have you tried using the sketch renderer in Poser? 

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 26 September 2014 at 6:25 PM · edited Fri, 26 September 2014 at 6:27 PM

I've booked marked all the filter app's and will have fun Demo'n them all:)
Onone software's Perfect Effects reminds me a lot of Topaz Labs.

If you try to free hand paint in a 2D app over top a render.
The .jpg looks half rendered and half painted.
I need for all the .jpg to look like it's painted.
Like my example and these .jpgs

One  ,Two  ,Three  ,Four  ,Five

I doubt saying a photoshop style painting is exact enough.
guess ya could say there 50% between a cartoon & render.
Anyone know what style Art these .jpgs are called ?

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 27 September 2014 at 1:42 AM

looks very interesting!

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

piersyf ( ) posted Sat, 27 September 2014 at 2:26 AM

Fantasy art.

If you're talking about media, 1 and 2 would be done with oils if painted for real, 3 is airbrushed, 4 and 5 could be a number of things.

If you don't mind editing a ton of layers in photoshop, the smudge tool can give some very good approximations of oil paint. Don't forget, oils are popular because of their slow drying time, meaning you can 'work' the paint into previous layers (blend and smudge), as well as glaze (thinned paint over the top to give a caste). All can be done with layers and the smudge tool without using any of the filters.

If you intend postworking images like that, I'd consider investing in a good tablet. Much better control than a mouse can give.

ghonma ( ) posted Sat, 27 September 2014 at 5:02 AM

Personally I like Topaz Simplify eg:

pumeco ( ) posted Sat, 27 September 2014 at 5:20 AM · edited Sat, 27 September 2014 at 5:24 AM

"Anyone know what style Art these .jpgs are called ?"

They basically look hand painted in a 2D program, but since filters do that automatically, it's not always easy to tell what was done by hand and what was done in auto-mode.

The only program that springs to mind when I see those pictures is "Corel Painter", because Corel Painter lets you do both, you can auto-apply a custom paint effect and you can also paint over an image (using a custom paint style) and do it manually.  So for example, you might tell it to do oil painting, and then go over parts of it manually if you think it looks too uniform.  You can design your own paint styles as well.

Or, you might like the output of a style but wish it had more of a scruffy edge here and there, or that it had used a different colour, so you can change all that manually after it did the auto-paint (or at any time before, during, and after).

But yup, Corel Painter is the biggie if you want that sort of thing and want to paint over it manually as well, it's regarded as the best for that sort of painting but it's not cheap.  They used to do a cheaper version but I've not seen a new release for the cheaper version for years.

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sat, 27 September 2014 at 5:51 AM · edited Sat, 27 September 2014 at 6:03 AM

file_507520.jpg

Alien Skin Snap Art Oil Paint filter, plus about 10-20 layers in Photoshop. One layer utilises the filter which gives the brush stroke effect and which also has a very subtle canvas effect of it's own. Under this is a layer with a contrast-enhanced version of the original render. The paint layer is selectively erased to expose the sharper detail of the layers beneath. Once I'm happy with it, I then add the distressed FX and scratches as separate layers. The whole picture (as a single layer) then has a canvas effect applied to it, via Photoshop's "Texturiser" filter - I made my own textures to use with it though as the ones that come with Photoshop aren't any use to me. So, some plugins and a lot of layers (16 in total in this one, including the sky, smoke, haze and fog effects!) - hopefully it looks OK. I haven't seen a plugin which will do all the work for me - not sure I would use it if I could find one, as I'm happy with the creative control this method gives me. The final stage is to add the signature - it's pure coincidence that the first three letters of my surname are the same as the Mighty Frank Frazetta - means I can even use a signature like his!

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sat, 27 September 2014 at 5:57 AM

file_507521.jpg

Another example using the same technique; postworked version on the left, raw Poser 2012 render on the right.

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sat, 27 September 2014 at 6:01 AM

file_507522.jpg

Poser render on the left this time, similar technique. 

pumeco ( ) posted Sat, 27 September 2014 at 6:08 AM

Nice!

false1 ( ) posted Sat, 27 September 2014 at 6:54 AM · edited Sat, 27 September 2014 at 6:55 AM

Paul, thanks for generously sharing some of your secrets. I also recomend the Topaz filters for Photoshop. They give you a ton of control and are reasonably priced. Simplify and Clean are a good place to start.

My DeviantArt Gallery

My Website

SWAMP ( ) posted Sat, 27 September 2014 at 9:56 AM

Attached Link: http://www.topazlabs.com/impression

The new Topaz filter "Impressions" might do what you want.

I’ve been playing with the demo and the results don’t look too bad (less gimmicky) to me.

Being a bit spoiled I still prefer Corel Painter.

Chuck

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sun, 28 September 2014 at 12:25 AM · edited Sun, 28 September 2014 at 12:34 AM

Some killer Art shown here ,Wish more would do more with there renders then just render.
Detail can make a ah render into a killer render I think. 

Yes I'm a fan of topaz want all there filters and any new ones they make.
a long with all the other fillter app's.I like playing with CGI app's to much ;)

in my ruff example .jpg
I didn't know a fast way to get the texture off vicky so I used clean 3 to lose the
realistick texture then converted to black and white and painted over top the black and white for color.
got detail 3 also.want Impressions.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sun, 28 September 2014 at 12:39 AM

Paul Francis :Ya might be a bit more demented then most of us ;)
but ya definitely one of the best Artist of us.

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sun, 28 September 2014 at 3:46 AM

Quote - Paul Francis :Ya might be a bit more demented then most of us ;)
but ya definitely one of the best Artist of us.

Oh yes, muchos dementos!  Glad you like my stuff!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.