Tue, Oct 22, 1:10 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 11:46 am)

Subject: Is your monitor darker at the top ?

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2015 at 2:19 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 1:06 PM

Is your monitor darker at the top and lighter at the bottom ?

I have a flat screen ACER with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 .

just wondering if all flat screens are darker at top or if its the monitor or 3D card or something else . 

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

hornet3d ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2015 at 2:24 PM

I run three Samsung monitors one 19" on another system and a 19" and 22" twin monitor set up on my Poser PC.  All of them are consistent both in the horizontal and vertical as far as brightness goes.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

pumeco ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2015 at 2:36 PM

Sorry to say it but it sounds like the monitor :-(

aRtBee ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2015 at 2:39 PM

all my (Samsung 971P) monitors get calibrated every quarter, so I don't experience any color / brightness shifts when I move an image over a monitor-boundary onto an other one. My monitors can rotate from portrait <=> landscape (manual, no motordrive :-) ) separately, so no-color-shift holds horizontally and vertically. That is: the image is dragged from one monitor in landscape setup to another in portrait setup, etc. and I do not accept any differences, even halfway. The desktop is expanded over all monitors.

The monitors are all 9 years old now, and are still performing fine. The have seen a lot of machines and cards and drivers over time.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

Geoffrey_Woodget ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2015 at 3:06 PM

I have a NVidea 750TI, and the color or brightness is uniform accross all of the screen area.I do though have a 'band' about 3 MM around all edges. It can't seem to be adjusted through the card's Control Panel, so I assume it's the monitor. I could fiddle with the monitors settings, however,as my Grandmother used to say, "don't sweat the petty stuff; pet the sweaty stuff." Your situation isn't petty however.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2015 at 4:53 PM

file_6974ce5ac660610b44d9b9fed0ff9548.jpif ya raze ya head a bit above the monitor it makes the .jpg lighter ya can see the detail in the hair

if ya lower ya head a bit below the monitor it makes the .jpg darker. hair almost looks soild black

im using the hair to tell the difference.

not the old tubes but is all never digital flat screen monitors like that ? 

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2015 at 4:55 PM · edited Mon, 26 January 2015 at 4:57 PM

if I scroll the hair I can see detail better if I scroll it to the bottom of the screen. does it work the same for your digital flat screen monitors ? 

p.s. I miss tubes 

jura11 ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2015 at 6:00 PM

Hi there

What I'm looking on yours picture looks like is OK,no color discrepancy or other bits,on my DELL U2410 looks OK and seems is fine

Are you using CRT monitor or are you have LED or LCD monitor ?

I know some LED monitors doesn't have proper black(I've one Samsung which is pretty poor,I'm using this as my second monitor and if this is not enough,is not adjustable at all )

Last question can you try save yours render in TIFF,Windows Picture Viewer supports TIFF and TIFF is bit better format and is not loose format as JPG

Please try to save as TIFF and post both renders if you could 

Thanks,Jura

pumeco ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2015 at 6:06 PM · edited Mon, 26 January 2015 at 6:08 PM

@RorrKonn
Ah, that's down to the type of screen you have, it has a poor viewing angle, I hated that as well so I made sure my new monitor has an IPS screen.
I don't have that problem anymore.

Here it is if you're curious: Click Here
Best monitor I ever bought, killer for the price, and you're not the only one who misses analogue tubes ;-)

jura11 ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2015 at 6:34 PM

I'm thinking go with Korean monitors like is Crossover 27Q LED-P Pivot Edition,for price is steal and can be overclock'd too....I've tested this monitor on various 3D apps and looks like is great buy

At moment I've Dell which is OK for my needs,but Samsung is just poor display with poor viewing angle,I've made custom pivot for this monitor because is not adjustable at all and this is what I need to have,adjustability 

We're still using in our company older NEC displays and they're still great LCD monitors 

Thanks,Jura

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2015 at 7:12 PM

all the info I can find on my monitor in control panel /devices and printers " ACER B243H Generic PnP Monitor " don't know if it's a CRT , LED or LCD.

don't know the inches of it .it's about 4 inches wider then the key board. it's about 1/2 the size of my 42 inch TV.20 inch would be a guess.

so between  CRT , LED , LCD. what's the best ?

What all specs should I look for in a new monitor ? 

pumeco,jura11 I'll look in to your all suggested monitors I'm sure there killer.

but I would like to see the monitor in action before I buy off the web thou. 

At times just Don't know about this new tech. We can't buy analogue tube monitors any more huh.

jura11 ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2015 at 8:00 PM

@RorrKonn

Yours monitor is LCD with TN film,best are IPS monitor,but this doesn't matter,some LCD have better contrast than newer LED etc,IPS seems is best,but those monitors prefer people or gamer mostly,better IPS monitors cost lot more than those which cost around £250,but most of the panels are made by LG or Samsung,you can have look on TFT Central and check what yours monitor using,I would suspect using Chi Mei display

Reviews strangely on yours monitor are not available as I thought so,did you tried to adjust the monitor or at least?

here is link on this Crossover 27Q LED-P Pivot edition

http://www.overclock.net/t/1280755/review-tests-crossover-27q-led-p-pivot-edition-gallery-with-apple-cinema-display

Which one is best,hard to say,I've been impressed by Crossover,but DELL has making nice displays too although they will cost twice or thrice much as Crossover and many other displays

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

PrecisionXXX ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2015 at 8:45 PM

not the old tubes but is all never digital flat screen monitors like that ? 

The viewing angle on flat screens is somewhat critical.  For a demonstration, put on a pair of polaroid glasses and tilt your head.  You WILL have to.  I'm using a 42 inch Sanyo TV, the effect is somewhat pronounced. Doric

The "I" in Doric is Silent.

moriador ( ) posted Tue, 27 January 2015 at 12:40 AM

I'm using a Dell Ultrasharp 2410. The 110% gamut has a dramatic effect, and I can see tonal contrasts in deep shadows and darker colors that I would never see otherwise. It was a bit pricier than most Acer models, but absolutely worth it. Unfortunately, it looks like Dell isn't selling these any more (just the cheaper and lower quality 2412).  But if you see a 2410 for sale somewhere, it comes highly recommended.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Tue, 27 January 2015 at 2:48 AM

You've got a TN panel Rorr, the viewing angle even directly straight on can be different on the top of the screen to the bottom depending on how far away from the monitor you are. I've got a Dell u2412, it's an 16:10 IPS monitor, it's probably the best thing I've bought for my system besides my SSD, it was like looking at everything with new eyes and the best part is that you don't get the degradation in viewing angle unless you're standing right next to the side of the monitor looking downward, even then it's barely noticeable.

pumeco ( ) posted Tue, 27 January 2015 at 5:15 AM · edited Tue, 27 January 2015 at 5:18 AM

@RorrKonn

• TN is they type of screen you have right now - they're no good.
  • CRT is the analogue technology that use tubes, that technology is still avaialble but it costs a fortune, it's strictly for professionals with deep pockets.
  • IPS is the type of screen you need, IPS stands for "In Plane Switching", it's a technology designed to deal with the problem you're having.

The monitor I linked to (the one I have) has an IPS screen, and although that monitor is designed for colour accuracy as well, it was really only the IPS I bought it for.  But now that I've had it around three years, there is no way I could ever go back to a standard monitor.  It's not just IPS and colour accuracy that's important, it's the quality of the screen itself.  The difference between this screen and a standard monitor is like night and day, seriously.

I never got to try it before I bought it, but it was well worth the risk, absolutely no regrets here, she's a killer peice of kit.  I think there was only one review on Amazon when I bought it, but now there are sixty.  The opinion is pretty much the same for everyone, a Pro Monitor for the price you can pay for a standard one.  It's part of their "ProArt" range, it even came with a hand-signed calibration report from the calibration engineer - crazy!

But basically, no matter what monitor you go for, just make sure it has an IPS screen and don't let the sales assistant convince you otherwise.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 27 January 2015 at 6:28 AM
Site Admin

RorrKonn, before getting a new monitor, have an electrition check your power. One place I worked the wiring was bad or something and we would go through monitors like crazy. At another I had a monitor go bad when I had to run it during a brownout. You'll probably still need a new monitor but checking the power 1st may help you avoid other problems.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

MikeMoss ( ) posted Tue, 27 January 2015 at 8:07 AM

Hi

I have an Asus 27" 144 Hz monitor.

It tends to be a little lighter at the edges but it's only noticeable when you have a black screen.

Something I have to live with because I'm into stereo 3D, and need the high refresh rate.

Make sure that you are looking straight at the center of your monitor.

I'm really careful to make sure that my monitor is on a stand that lets me sit in my chair and stare at the exact center of the screen in my normal sitting position.

Mike

If you shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?

jura11 ( ) posted Tue, 27 January 2015 at 10:14 AM

I'm using a Dell Ultrasharp 2410. The 110% gamut has a dramatic effect, and I can see tonal contrasts in deep shadows and darker colors that I would never see otherwise. It was a bit pricier than most Acer models, but absolutely worth it. Unfortunately, it looks like Dell isn't selling these any more (just the cheaper and lower quality 2412).  But if you see a 2410 for sale somewhere, it comes highly recommended.

@Moriador I've too DELL Ultrasharp U2410,I've bought this as used,but is like new and for price which I've took without the question(£80),but still I still looking to upgrade to above Crossover 27Q LED-P Pivot edition,seen this monitor how it performs and used this monitor in 3DS MAX and Photoshop for while and must admit difference is there

Thanks,Jura

RorrKonn ( ) posted Wed, 28 January 2015 at 1:33 AM

Wanted everyone to know how much I appreciate your all's info. :) Thanks you.

and if any one has anything more to add ,feel free. 

pumeco ( ) posted Wed, 28 January 2015 at 8:32 AM

Yeah, listen, I have something to add!!!

When you get your new monitor, you should keep the old one as well!!!
Just stick it in the box that comes with your new monitor and hide it away in case you need it later!!!
If your new monitor decides to play necro on you in the future, you'll have a backup, you won't be stuck without a monitor!!!

Later,
Roxie - Girl With Blade

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 28 January 2015 at 9:01 AM · edited Wed, 28 January 2015 at 9:02 AM

file_38b3eff8baf56627478ec76a704e9b52.jp NO!
Connect them both, and use a dual monitor setup. By far the best end user improvement to any 3D hobby desk is a dual monitor setup.
Even this little 10" netbook that I am using right now, has a second monitor. The netbook screen at 1200x800 or something, and an external 21" 1920x1080 monitor.
Once you go "dual", ha-ha-, you"ll never go single again. LOL.
Euh, I mean monitors, OK?

PS : the photo is from an older setup. There are 2 extra screens right now. LOL.
Left, 21", then a 25"; then a 50", and the one to the right is a 32".

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

pumeco ( ) posted Wed, 28 January 2015 at 9:09 AM

Yeah, listen Vilters, I know beds can be expensive, but that's just sick!!!
And what's that weird-looking cylinder thing next to your joystick???

Later,
Roxie - Girl With Blade

obm890 ( ) posted Wed, 28 January 2015 at 10:43 AM

Acer LCD monitors have very narrow view angles, resulting in exactly the dark/light variation you describe if you move your head up and down even a small amount. It's important to set the angle of your monitor so it is 90 degrees to your line of sight. If you can't tilt the top back enough, try lifting the whole monitor on some books.

I have an old Acer which started to die a few years ago, when starting up it would just flash once and then go into sleep mode. I opened it up and found some swollen capacitors inside. $2 for some new ones and 10 mins with a soldering iron and it has been going strong ever since.

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 28 January 2015 at 1:27 PM

I have never regretted going to a dual monitor set up it made a massive difference to the way I work.  If pushed I guess I could go back to one monitor but I really don't want to try.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 28 January 2015 at 1:35 PM

*** That weird looking cylinder?
That is an anti "V" device.
Every Poser user should get one.
LOL.***

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 28 January 2015 at 1:37 PM

*** With a montly subscription, only available through the cloud, it works as an anti "D" device too.
LOL.***

pumeco ( ) posted Wed, 28 January 2015 at 4:14 PM

Yeah, well I've never seen one before, and I think you're taking the piss!!!
And you have used bold italic green as well!!!

Later,
Roxie - Girl With Blade

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.