Sat, Sep 21, 8:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Indoor Lighting: store-type environment - any hints?

graylensman ( ) posted Fri, 17 April 2015 at 9:05 AM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 10:36 PM

Greetings, all! I have a model to render in a grocery store environment. For the life of me, I can't quite get lighting like I want! I've looked at a dozen different tutorials, and they generally divide into two types of lighting - the traditional three-point technique and the great outdoors. I have yet to find anything that addresses what I'm looking for. I've basically defaulted to a mix of Global Illumination, ambient light, and maybe a spot or two. This gives acceptable results, but still isn't quite right. 

Can anyone point me in the direction I'm looking for? Thanks as always!

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 17 April 2015 at 10:06 AM

You'll need a light array to get things to look ok. I've used a collection of tube lights in the past with pretty good success. I'll see if I can put together a sample in a few minutes when I wrap what I'm working on. 

graylensman ( ) posted Fri, 17 April 2015 at 10:18 AM

Thank you so much!

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 17 April 2015 at 10:49 AM

I set the Tube lights to about 20% strength with soft shadows enabled (adjust softness to your liking)

The top Distant lights are set to 90% strength, no shadow. 

The bottom Distant lights are to fake bounce light. They are set to 15%, no shadows. 

Doing this prevents having to deal with the issues that come with global illumination plus speeding up the render. 

file_84d9ee44e457ddef7f2c4f25dc8fa865.jp

file_013d407166ec4fa56eb1e1f8cbe183b9.pn

graylensman ( ) posted Fri, 17 April 2015 at 11:48 AM

Thank you so much! I will give this a run this weekend, and let you know my results. Thanks again!

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 17 April 2015 at 11:55 AM

Sorry for the double post. Funky system today at 'Rosity. I'll delete when able. 

DUDU.car ( ) posted Sun, 19 April 2015 at 4:21 AM

Mark, where do you find these light tubes ?

I use this thread to ask something I don't understand :

How works an "Anything Glow" ?

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Mon, 20 April 2015 at 8:37 AM · edited Mon, 20 April 2015 at 8:38 AM

Hi Dudu.car

It should be on your insert list.file_149e9677a5989fd342ae44213df68868.pn

There is no need to use any Anything Glows function with the tube light. 

DUDU.car ( ) posted Mon, 20 April 2015 at 8:54 AM

I know this tube but it looks like a bulb in C8.

For Anything glow, my question was not in connection with that of this thread but more precisely on the function of this option.

I don't understand well how that works and had a crash of Carrara by changing the parameters.

Is there a tuto about that ?

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Mon, 20 April 2015 at 9:22 AM

In C8, the 'tube' functions alone the bulb Z access - just rotate into position and set the desired length. To create the illusion of an actual tube light illumination, Anything Glows can be applied to a Vertex cylinder object. 

The Anything Glows will create a miniature bulb light at each vertex point of the object - more vertexes, more fidelity in the illumination. 

Now that Indirect Lighting is available as a render option, it is preferable to use that and assign a glow shader function to an object to create illumination; in my opinion, it creates better final results than Anything Glows since individual points of light do not show up in reflected highlights on other objects in the scene. 

DUDU.car ( ) posted Mon, 20 April 2015 at 9:34 AM

Thanks, I 'll play with that a little...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.