Wed, Sep 18, 6:55 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 6:30 pm)

Subject: Is anyone here not very good at making models but good at texturing them?

GaryChildress ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2015 at 3:00 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 6:45 PM

file_0a09c8844ba8f0936c20bd791130d6b6.jpI created this really cool (IMO) German paratrooper set. I created a jumpsuit smock (shown above) and it seems to have turned out reasonably well. I am just not any good at texturing. I mean sometimes I can do an OK job, depending, but texturing is just not my strength. So I'm thinking maybe I could partner with someone who is good at texturing and maybe some of my 3D creations might come out better.

Please visit My 3D Freebies

Thank you for your patronage!

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2015 at 3:05 PM

Nice collar.  I have the darnedest time when I try to model them. Sorry I can't help you. I suck at texturing.

GaryChildress ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2015 at 3:09 PM

Nice collar.  I have the darnedest time when I try to model them. Sorry I can't help you. I suck at texturing.

Thanks EClark1894! It took me a while to do it. But I'm reasonably happy with the way it turned out. :)

GaryChildress ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2015 at 3:19 PM · edited Tue, 16 June 2015 at 3:20 PM

Here's a little better pic of the jump smock. Unfortunately lighting in Poser is something I'm still learning too. :)

file_c45147dee729311ef5b5c3003946c48f.jp 

fictionalbookshelf ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2015 at 4:20 PM

It looks good. Do you have it UV mapped? 

Oh and don't worry about lighting. I'm still learning that myself.

My Store & My Freebies

obm890 ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2015 at 4:23 PM

Nice job. Those German camo patterns are among my favourites, particularly the spotty one, I think it's called dot 44 - not sure if the paratroopers ever wore it.

I have never understood the point of that rather quirky item of clothing. There's no just 'dropping your pants' in a hurry, if you want to take a dump you have to strip off everything on your top half as well, including your webbing equipment - not ideal for a combat soldier and not great in very cold weather, and certainly not good if you have the runs.

GaryChildress ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2015 at 9:04 PM

It looks good. Do you have it UV mapped? 

Oh and don't worry about lighting. I'm still learning that myself.

Thanks. Yes. I UV Mapped it. I made it in Wings3D.  

@OBM8890: I never thought of that but you have a good point. It's not like long johns where you just drop a flap. And if landing from a parachute drop doesn't jar the stuff out of you I don't know what would. Maybe another reason they lost the war?

Morkonan ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2015 at 9:21 PM

"Texturing" a model always starts with the UV map. Nine times out ten, the reason a model is difficult to texture is because the UV map and/or material zones are not created well. With good material zone creation, you can virtually automate texture mapping with seamless textures and a few brush strokes in some cases.

I'm not a good texturer, but can do a decent UV Map, from time to time. That makes texturing models, myself, a heck of a lot easier.

GaryChildress ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2015 at 9:56 PM

"Texturing" a model always starts with the UV map. Nine times out ten, the reason a model is difficult to texture is because the UV map and/or material zones are not created well. With good material zone creation, you can virtually automate texture mapping with seamless textures and a few brush strokes in some cases.

I'm not a good texturer, but can do a decent UV Map, from time to time. That makes texturing models, myself, a heck of a lot easier.

I can UV map OK. It's just creating realistic looking textures that I'm not good at. I've seen some of the textures from items in the marketplace here and elsewhere and they are amazing. Wish I could create textures like that.

Morkonan ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2015 at 10:44 PM

I can UV map OK. It's just creating realistic looking textures that I'm not good at. I've seen some of the textures from items in the marketplace here and elsewhere and they are amazing. Wish I could create textures like that.

There's a reason why, in professional production lines, there are separate job descriptions for 3D Artist and 3D Texture Artist... :) It ain't easy, especially when you have to deal with licensing rights and derivative works issues.

I just came across this, downloading now. It looks pretty promising and it's "free" - http://www.mapzoneeditor.com/index.php (Not sure what its export options are, atm. But, bitmaps were mentioned.)

GIMP is a free graphics program and has its own plugin system, so there should be some things available out there that could help generate textures, if you don't have such an artistic hand.

For myself, an old copy of Photoshop does fairly well. "Well", that is, compared to my lackluster texturing abilities. :)

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2015 at 11:34 PM

I think Red Phantom does a pretty good job of texturing.

obm890 ( ) posted Wed, 17 June 2015 at 5:11 AM

Your tools make a big difference with 3D texturing, the better the tools, the easier it is to get good results which would otherwise require a lot of skill, experience and time. I use modo to model, UV and do most of my texturing, with a bit of work in photoshop. The ability to bake textures is a really huge help, you can use lots of different types of mapping to get textures onto the model and procedurals (like noise and occlusion) to add wear and dirt, and then bake the results to a single texture image. It means the texture is 80% done before you even start painting on it by hand to make small adjustments. Being able to paint directly on the model in the 3D viewport is really nice too, it's so much easier than painting over your UV templates in 2D photoshop and then jumping back to 3D to check the results all the time.

Modo is getting really pricey now, but there are other programs that might be worth a look to see what they can do for you, 3DCoat, Blacksmith, Zbrush, Blender etc.

obm890 ( ) posted Wed, 17 June 2015 at 5:53 AM

I just came across this, downloading now. It looks pretty promising and it's "free" - http://www.mapzoneeditor.com/index.php (Not sure what its export options are, atm. But, bitmaps were mentioned.)

I got an earlier version of that included in a magazine cover CD once. I clicked around in it a bit trying to follow a tutorial and found it crazy-complicated, features seem to be hidden in odd places all over - sorta like Bryce. I didn't really apply myself to it long enough to really get it, but I'm sure it's very powerful once you know what you're doing. And free is always good while you're poking around looking for a tool that fits you.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 17 June 2015 at 6:07 AM
Site Admin

eclark: thanks for the endorsement. (I think)

garychildress: I can make texturemaps, but I'm just getting started. I've never done anything that needed to look like something specific. If you want me to try, site mail me.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 17 June 2015 at 6:33 AM

Well, it was an endorsement, but also I like your work. :)

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 17 June 2015 at 9:57 AM · edited Wed, 17 June 2015 at 9:57 AM
Site Admin

I took it as an endorsement. It's just, like I said. I'm just starting out. It can be a little intimidating that someone is making recommendations already.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

mr_phoenyxx ( ) posted Wed, 17 June 2015 at 1:40 PM

I took it as an endorsement. It's just, like I said. I'm just starting out. It can be a little intimidating that someone is making recommendations already.

Good work is good work, no matter your experience. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.