Thu, Sep 19, 9:50 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: On a positive note

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 12:46 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 9:47 PM

I know that there are issues with the new site. And I know we are working on those issues, but I would like to add a positive note here.

All issues are being addressed
There are a lot of new functionality that enhances the site
The lay-out is cleaner
The style is sleaker and streamlined
It works better across multiple platforms and devices (a tricky maneuver I'm sure)
We are here listening! (For real).

Carry on. :)
Boni

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

hopeandlove ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 12:52 PM · edited Tue, 18 August 2015 at 12:52 PM

Yes, Boni! Thanks for posting!

As the Community Manager, I've listened to your concerns/feedback and have made notes! Once you get used to our new website, you're going to fall in love with it!!

See how simple it is for me to bold this statement?

Hope Kumor

Editor-in-chief of Renderosity Magazine

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 1:10 PM

hopeandlove wrote: "See how simple it is for me to bold this statement?"

Not when I used to be able to just highlight the line and hit a button, no. Not when I need a tutorial and a cheat sheet just to do the same thing now, no. I don't find it easier. I'm sorry.

Laurie

Amethyst_Heart ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 1:17 PM

Read my post from earlier - this site is anything but clean layout

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 1:20 PM

To write a simple post, refer to our wiki to learn a mark up language.

Yes. That's so simple. A child of three couldn't do it...

So simple infact, other sites don't do it. Funny that.

Lenord ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 1:37 PM

No it's NOT better and all the fixes needed before this change were never completely implemented what kind of confidence does that give anyone that things will get fixed now and that doesn't even address the Upload limits problem, if you think Real Digital Artists are going to Display Sub quality Postage Stamp size Imagery your wrong

Remember...No matter where you go there you are

takezo3001 ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 2:41 PM · edited Tue, 18 August 2015 at 2:48 PM

@4220396
With all due respect, it's a bit hard to be partial when you are part of the management team...But I can see your point in not wanting the forum to get out of control as these forums have been extremely volatile and toxic particularly in the past, so yeah, I get that and will adapt as there's too much excellent content here [i](I'm even gonna start blowing cash here as I'm always looking for a deal!)[/i] but might I suggest enabling the user to change skins at the very least? I will agree that it looks sleek though...As sleek as a barren flatland or an office work environment which discourages individuality in favor of conformity, [i]metaphorically[/i] speaking of course.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~EDITED~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wow...So I can't even manually italicize my own post via html code?

Yes I read the posts on this but I thought they meant automatic formatting, not manual...I'm gonna leave my format as is to illustrate the contempt that this format has shown for individuality with user functionality and operating/navigating the site's features.

takezo3001 ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 2:48 PM

FreeBass ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 3:49 PM

hopeandlove wrote: "See how simple it is for me to bold this statement?"

No, I don't see how simple it is. I see that you emboldened yr text, but I don't see HOW. ( I'll be damned if I gonna RTFM fer a webpage to learn how to make it do tricks)

WARNING!

This user has been known to swear. A LOT!

hopeandlove ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 3:52 PM

@4220534-- Please be sure to read this: Both bold and italic can use either a * or an _ around the text for styling. This allows you to combine both bold and italic if needed.

Everyone must attend the meeting at 5 o'clock today.

Hope Kumor

hopeandlove ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 3:52 PM

Hope Kumor

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 4:02 PM

I know HTML, I know BBCode....I ain't interested in learning yet another kind of code just to do something I could (and can) do with one click before and at other sites. :(

Laurie

takezo3001 ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 4:16 PM · edited Tue, 18 August 2015 at 4:20 PM

@4220537
Gah, I should've guessed that! Just like youtube's format!
LOL, I actually found about that on youtube by accident Thanks for clarifying, and I do appreciate that you've took some of our concerns to heart, as I'm glad to see that ever-scroll is gone from the freestuff etc..Thanks for your feedback and getting back to us about some of our concerns.

..... So yeah...Still hate the metro look though ;^)

takezo3001 ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 4:20 PM

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 5:04 PM

so.. rather than use an industry standard method of doing things...

we have to learn to code? way to alienate your userbase. you do know them right? the ones that pay your wages...?

adh3d ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 5:43 PM

In general I like the new site, good work , the worst is the "content" space we have now between top and bottom bars, It is almost the only thing I find worse, perhaps making the white bar collapsible will be a solution, because in my monitor, all the site appears compressed and claustrophobic by the bars.

adh3d website

Latexluv ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 6:20 PM

Might I suggest that you seriously consider the comments that BB makes? He is a consulting programmer in Real Life. I would vote with my pocket book about this horrible upgrade, but I don't buy much here anymore. My budget is too tight and when I do have some extra to spend, the Rendo Store is just as badly arranged as everything else. I literally have a folder of book marks for things in the store because items are so hard to find in the Store. That in itself should be a hint.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

Scavenger-Graphics ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 6:43 PM

I personally would like to thank management for changing the URL structure. I'm sure everyone who's had personal wishlists or catalogs with links to products they have or want will enjoy having them all be broken now.

Razor42 ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 8:36 PM

@4220537

Er, No, I will not be attending the meeting Bold or not bold.

Sorry but the site doesn't look better at all, and about the only thing that seems to be better functionality wise is that you can now get more advertisements in front of people.

These kind of posts really irk me. Kind of like saying "Sure there bombing our city into oblivion and 1000s of people are dieing, but there is no reason to let that drag us down into the frumps, let's all smile and dance and have a party and forget the negativity." While positive outlook is great in theory, sometimes it seems more like being a little crazy then just being upbeat.

"Sure your pet just died, but think of all the money you will save on pet food" Now that's something to smile about right?

Razor42 ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 8:36 PM

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 2:04 AM

so. Did some research. this "markdown" was released in 2004. and then dumped by its creator, (the same year), and is only maintained by a small core of fans. there is no standardisation of it.
So who knows what "flavour" we have and how it's implemented (inflicted on us)
just cos some think it's "trendy"
telling is, outside of programming sites it's hardly used. where as, standard controls are used on mainstream forums and forum software... rather telling.

and now we're stuck with it.

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 2:59 AM

Since when was "to bold" a verb? Never in the UK.

ptousig ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 3:31 AM

I'm not a frequent poster to the forums here, though I am an extremely frequent visitor to the Marketplace.

The fact that I have never felt much need to post here should be viewed as an endorsement, not a failure. I am posting now because I am reporting issues and concerns. I'm the kind of customer I think you want a lot of - I spend fair amount lot of money and don't have much to say otherwise.

I'm also a professional IT person with an extensive background in both web work and, like many here, using forums in many contexts.

I don't find the features of this new forum very impressive. I didn't use the old forums more than a few times, but this forum feels retro and quite limited. No forum software I have used in the last decade lacked support for WSYWIG in-line editing on Windows platforms. Things like CTRL-I for italics, CTRL-B for bold. And yes, you could do both at once. Yes, they have markup modes (usually based on BBCode), and sometimes that's handy, but it's not something I normally have to use any more unless I'm posting from phone or a tablet or something. And even then, they usually have a little palette of icons that insert the markup for you.

So, no, I'm afraid I'm not that impressed. Maybe this forum software lets us do things here the old one did not (drag-and-drop image insertion is fairly neat), but for anyone who uses the web very much, it doesn't feel very powerful or user-friendly for simple text input, which is the main function a forum needs to support.

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 6:50 AM
Site Admin

Stop being stubborn, when every single post/person is saying the same thing... they don't like this, and listing good reasons... listen, this isn't what your customers want.

Wolfenshire, Moderator/Community Leader

creativeguy59 ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 8:00 PM

I work in software and have for 14+ years. I showed this site to our UI team. Keeping in mind we do a web portal that has far more users than this one does on a daily basis. They were horrified ... this design is not clean... this design is not sleeker. This design is backwards step. :)

I am glad they are working on the issues but they also have ignored the feedback of beta testers gave completely about the very same things we're complaining about... (those pesky beta testers talk you know).... In the end not seeing how there is a positive takeaway when Rendo is totally ignoring what is being said about the site. They are totally not responding to peoples questions or concerns... the rah rah rah cheerleading aside (keep in mind I think you mean well and your in a tough position)... really doesn't really offset the fact as some have said (well many someones) ... this is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddd and the changes are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddd on many fronts.... not just the site design, limitations, uselessness of Prime, etc... Sometimes you need to bite the bullet and fess up that you folks made mistakes. How your going to address them beyond ignoring them. You can't put your hands to your ears (well eyes) and go nanhahhahh nahaahhhh nahhhhh I can't hear you/see you in this sort of business :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.