Tue, Oct 22, 3:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: Whoa whoa whoa $250 to upgrade???

operaguy ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2015 at 4:12 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:53 AM

That is WAY too much. Poser pro upgrade = $249 which is 1/2 the full new purchase price. That is a slap in the face of those of us who have purchased incremental upgrades for a decade or more. How many times does someone have to pay for this program?

Apparently you can get the upgrade for $175, but only for the next two weeks.

It's disgusting.

::::: Opera :::::

Michael_C ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2015 at 4:16 PM

$175 for Poser 2011 pro upgrade from earlier Pros until 30 Nov.

My Store - My Gallery - My Freebies - My Web Site

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2015 at 4:22 PM

This has always bet the pricing structure. There are sales periodically.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Pret-a-3D ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2015 at 4:45 PM

In general, the upgrade of a program, any program, is about 50% of the full package. Considering that you don't get this kind of treatment for any other product in commerce, 50% off, simply because you own a previous license, is quite nice, IMHO.

Paolo

https://www.preta3d.com
FB: https://www.facebook.com/RealityPlugIn
Tw: @preta3d
G+: https://plus.google.com/106625816153304163119
The Reality Gallery: https://reality-plug-in.deviantart.com

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2015 at 5:18 PM · edited Tue, 17 November 2015 at 5:22 PM

Zbrush.

Yeah I know, apples and oranges.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

moriador ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2015 at 6:46 PM

Boni posted at 4:42PM Tue, 17 November 2015 - #4239155

Indeed. The cost was exactly what I thought it would be. When PP2014 was released, I regretted not getting it at the introductory price, though it did go on sale later. This time I opted not to wait. :D

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

Xatren ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2015 at 7:01 PM

EldritchCellar posted at 7:00PM Tue, 17 November 2015 - #4239170

Zbrush.

Yeah I know, apples and oranges.

Heh, yeah, and the fact that ZBrush 3.x used to crash if you looked directly at it might have played a part in Pixologic's free upgrades model.

icprncss2 ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2015 at 7:58 PM

If you do not need the new features then wait until it goes on sale at a price you feel is acceptable. We used to be early adopters until the deactivation debacle of last December. That alone some far reaching consequences for us. So, we will wait and watch. Six months down the line and a decent sale price, we'll consider upgrading.

3DFineries ( ) posted Wed, 18 November 2015 at 5:28 AM

If I remember correctly, that's how the upgrade prices have been for a few versions. If I had the money, I'd be all over the upgrade but Nov & Dec are tight months for me so I must wait. 🙁

Have a creative day!

My Lil' Store

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 18 November 2015 at 8:46 AM

@Opera guy ,IIRC you have identified in the past as an animator. There are no new animation features in poser pro 11 so for me its DOA (ok.. to be honest I use Iclone Pro& 3D Exchange to generate my character motion Data anyway)

But for any one who animates this $175- $250 update to poser offers nothing over any prevoius version from poser 7 to poser 10.

My website

YouTube Channel

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 18 November 2015 at 9:11 AM · edited Wed, 18 November 2015 at 9:14 AM

Hi Wolf, yes, thanks for remembering me and the fact I am an animator. I also am a Reality guy, and therefore won't need the new rendering features. Nor do I need the new characters (go V4!). So, this upgrade is DOA for me, too.

Another factor: the upgrade pricing makes no distinction between several past generations, so skipping this upgrade will (or should) not force me to pay more for the next upgrade; I will still be in the mix. Does that sound correct?

[edited to add: Just to be clear, I don't use Reality for rendering animations! That would be nuts.]

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 18 November 2015 at 9:16 AM

operaguy posted at 9:15AM Wed, 18 November 2015 - #4239309

Hi Wolf, yes, thanks for remembering me and the fact I am an animator. I also am a Reality guy, and therefore won't need the new rendering features. Nor do I need the new characters (go V4!). So, this upgrade is DOA for me, too.

Another factor: the upgrade pricing makes no distinction between several past generations, so skipping this upgrade will (or should) not force me to pay more for the next upgrade; I will still be in the mix. Does that sound correct?

[edited to add: Just to be clear, I don't use Reality for rendering animations! That would be nuts.]

You are correct sir!

My website

YouTube Channel

Xatren ( ) posted Wed, 18 November 2015 at 10:10 AM

operaguy posted at 10:09AM Wed, 18 November 2015 - #4239309

Aww, why not? Are you telling me you'd rather not set your GPUs on fire? 😆

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 18 November 2015 at 11:10 AM

I have not enabled the nuclear option. Yet.

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 18 November 2015 at 6:00 PM

I don't mind the upgrade price; with the early bird discount, it's reasonable, IMO.

I do find that pre-checked "extended download service" annoying. Default should be off, not on.

Not to mention, I un-checked it, and it reappeared when I was transferred to PayPal to pay. They caught me with this last time, so I was on the lookout this time, and removed it before paying.

WandW ( ) posted Thu, 19 November 2015 at 7:30 AM

randym77 posted at 8:28AM Thu, 19 November 2015 - #4239389

Not to mention, I un-checked it, and it reappeared when I was transferred to PayPal to pay. They caught me with this last time, so I was on the lookout this time, and removed it before paying.

I had that happen too, but I used my credit card; unfortunately, there is no confirmation screen for credit cards, so I got dinged for it... 😠

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

PrecisionXXX ( ) posted Thu, 19 November 2015 at 10:37 AM

$186.99 including shipping for physical. I don't buy download versions.

Doric

The "I" in Doric is Silent.

Believable3D ( ) posted Fri, 20 November 2015 at 1:25 AM

Boni posted at 1:16AM Fri, 20 November 2015 - #4239155

Perhaps true, but previous kickoff sales were much better. I have paid between $99 and $149 for all previous upgrades.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

PREECHER ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 5:38 PM

i have to agree it is a bad time of year to come out with a new version. the cycles renderer being added to poser is also a bit confusing to me as i use blender quite often so it feels like they stuck that in with firefly so like all the softwares they can say they have pbr engine now. the guy at the preview web said firefly is a way more 'creative renderer' in the right hands...so really that leaves custom parameter dails, that morph injection saving which was a little fuzzy about how it is saved just that you could sell them, didn't say what format it saves in, the new models and the male isn't even ready yet, game dev features included which means support for kinect, customizable short cut key script added, i'd like to upgrade because i have been a loyal poser user but i' m not impressed enough to put out 179.00 4 an upgrade now. like others for what it is i feel especially long time customers should get like a 99.00usd upgrade period. it's just too much...and i hate to say this even though i don't use daz but people are saying it surpasses poser now and is still free. i'm gonna wait and see what happens with it as well...good luck smith micro...hope you have lots of early adopters.

shante ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 6:31 PM

funny for as many nay sayers of the program, those that have used it so far, love the stability and power and some of the other new features. have any of you seen any of the intro videos for it?

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 10:02 PM · edited Sat, 21 November 2015 at 10:12 PM

"that morph injection saving which was a little fuzzy about how it is saved just that you could sell them, didn't say what format it saves in..."

.pmd is the native Poser morph data format, I would imagine that it would be .pmd INJ. I don't think SM would utilize Daz readscript INJ that's reliant on existing channels in a figure. .pmd is way more flexible, regardless of foggy superstitions. As far as being redistributable, is it a dial spinner? Yes it's redistributable as long as it's applying values to present morphs and not injecting the actual proprietary deltas. If it's your own custom morph, yes it's distributable in terms of strictly vertex position data, same as it always has been with morph distribution. SM is just providing an easier way to create the files within Poser, a token offering, for those who are stumped by copying and pasting a few blocks of text into an empty .txt file and adding .pz2 as the extension. The custom palettes, control props, improvements to dependencies, baking of LOD morphs with an improved brush, improved animated joint centers, and a tightened up interface overall seem to be the real attraction of the latest version...

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 10:05 PM · edited Sat, 21 November 2015 at 10:05 PM

...oh and nicely crafted merchant resource figures with redistributable .obj's aint too shabby either.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 10:50 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity, profanity, violence

I've been watching the movies Divergent & The Hunger Games.

I swear the dumb asses have Divergent vs The Hunger Games.I think they need some personal time with Vendetta in the sub way.

buy the time I get done watching all the movies I'll spend some $$$.It's worth it to me. I doubt the authority would think so thou.

I don't care what CGI App's they used to make Divergent & The Hunger Games. but may be CGI will help get the message across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYnuSsM7tRw

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 11:32 PM

Yeah... and what he said. :)

hornet3d ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2015 at 4:03 AM

shante posted at 9:46AM Sun, 22 November 2015 - #4240135

funny for as many nay sayers of the program, those that have used it so far, love the stability and power and some of the other new features. have any of you seen any of the intro videos for it?

If you regard nay sayers as people who have looked at the program and seen that there is little in it for they way they work with Poser or have problems with the search function and the scripts that don't work then I guess you are right. Most of the negative comment I have seen has not slammed program or the stability but has commented on the lack of promotion, including no pre-release stunning Superfly renders, and the difficulty with using the Superfly as there are no good default materials. As those comments in general have come from people that have upgraded I don't see them as nay sayers.

I think we should also make note that this upgrade is the first under new leadership and much has changed, the wider introduction of the deactivation disservice, the change in upgrade pricing structure, the change in the way the upgrade has been promoted so far will all be viewed differently by users. Some will like it and other won't but to lump those that don't into a nice tidy box with a nay sayers title risks some of the concerns being missed. This is a new team, I would not expect them to get everything right first time around and the only way they are likely to be better next time around is if they listen to constructive criticism.

Actually, excepting the usual suspects, I thought the community had been well behaved so far with those that like the Poser 11 defending the program and saying why and others giving reasons as to why they will not be upgrading at this point in time. For any potential purchasers to make an informed decision they need to have to have information on both the positives and the negatives.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Mon, 23 November 2015 at 5:23 PM

I agree with Wolf359, I can see why they charge what they do, but really, I like many am not seeing much improvement over the generations. p5 was the last big change that I remember, since then we still have a useless (in my eyes) hair room, and animation has not improved. This is POSER. there are two external render engines, why on earth concentrate of giving us a third/upgraded one. I await the day when my £149 is spent on one of the other areas of poser that would benefit. I'm sure some will disagree, but that's my opinion, especially as I don't need another figure and I have spent out on Reality so what else am I seeing for the money?

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.