Sun, Oct 6, 12:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: Mandelbulb3d v1.9.1 Released - Now With 3D Mesh Export Module!

Sockratease ( ) posted Sat, 12 March 2016 at 4:58 AM ยท edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 12:21 PM

Yes, the new release of MB3D is out and makes meshes with a single click! I have only tried limited experiments in the hour or 3 I have had it, but it seems like it needs some getting used to before meshes can meet the standards set by other software.

Here's the description posted over at FractalForums:

**Hi all, here is the new MB3D release with the first version of a new module called "BulbTracer" to easily create meshes from within MB3D. Its supports the complete workflow of creating, smoothing and previewing the meshes, so no additional software is required. It works fully multi-threaded, so it is fast, too.

Hints:

• to get started just press the "BTracer"-button to open the new module and press the "Import parameters"-button to import the current fractal

• the sizing/positioning works the same way as in the VoxelStack-module, also the preview works very similar, but there are 2 new size settings for faster display

• to get started quickly just hit the "Generate Mesh"-button and watch what happens. You should get a small preview window showing the mesh if all worked right.

If not, there is probably some problem with the OpenGL-display. In this rare case you can still create the meshes, but not preview them from within MB3D. You may use MeshLab instead.

• Level of detail: Increase the "volumetric resolution" setting. Usually a value of 100...200 is a good start, and can 200...300 gives good results. The higher the value, the more detail, but also the more vertices and faces are generated, leading to larger files and more consumption of memory.

• Smoothing: There are two different smoothing options:

• oversampling: smooths the mesh during creation and leads to increased creation time
    • Taubin-smooth: post-processing, usually very fast It depends on the fractal which works the best, some fractals work best with a combination of both.
  • Cancelling: you can cancel the mesh generation at any time and preview the changes which were made so far. This is the default behaviour. If you want just cancel, you can change this behaviour by choosing the option "Cancel immediately" from within the "Cancel type"-listbox.

• Saving: Usually also saving is very fast and is done automatically. But if you want to try out many settings, you may want to turn saving temporary off. In this case, just choose "Dont save, only preview" from the "Save type"-listbox

• Have fun!**

Assuming that a link is OK since there is no marketplace involved and this is freeware used by a large number of people, many right here on this site! If I am mistaken, mods may remove this bit with no hard feelings, but I can't think of a single reason to do so : http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=64

Look For Silly Art on Sockratease.com!

Free Fractal obj Files!

Lenord ( ) posted Sat, 12 March 2016 at 9:48 AM

Will definitely give it a go, thanks for the heads up Soc....Andreas has a different approach to programming, some of his results I like and some I don't. Didn't like the v1.9 it was a bit Flakey not so stable but we'll see about the Mesh Generator I been wanting that option for years

Remember...No matter where you go there you are

alida ( ) posted Sat, 12 March 2016 at 3:33 PM

thanks for the input..I've hardly understood what's it about but...ahhaaI'll try hard!!!to

DUDU.car ( ) posted Wed, 16 March 2016 at 3:27 PM

Hi Sockratease ! As you maybe know, I'm a Carrara user but your program interest me. I downloaded from "somewhere" (don't remember) in the internet a version 2... There is no option to export the meshes, only JPG or PNG, what's the process to do that ? Thanks .

Sockratease ( ) posted Wed, 16 March 2016 at 4:10 PM ยท edited Wed, 16 March 2016 at 4:14 PM

DUDU.car posted at 3:50PM Wed, 16 March 2016 - #4261404

Hi Sockratease ! As you maybe know, I'm a Carrara user but your program interest me. I downloaded from "somewhere" (don't remember) in the internet a version 2... There is no option to export the meshes, only JPG or PNG, what's the process to do that ? Thanks .

Hi DUDU!

Yup, I know you from other Forums where you may know me as a Carrara user too. I'm the Crazy Hippy constantly pestering them to make The Millennium Cow model.

Let's see, if you have a "Version 2" it may be Mandelbulber, and not Mandelbulb 3D. There are literally hundreds of fractal generators out there, but only a handful that export obj files.

Mandelbulber does not have this feature, but Mandelbulb 3D just added it. Until this we had to export a "voxel stack" (image sequence of slices of the fractal) and compile it into a 3D Model using other software.

Assuming you have the correct program, the feature is started with the "BTrace" button and works exactly as described in the first post of this thread.

MB3D is only available at Fractal Forums (link in first post) and if your "somewhere" was "elsewhere" then it's likely that you have different software. Here's a screenshot to show what it looks like:

Clipboard01.jpg

The BTracer button is in the upper left of the main window.

Hope that helps!

Free Fractal obj Files!

DUDU.car ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2016 at 3:42 AM

Hi Sockatease ! I downloaded this on the link you posted, I think. But I 'll look more deeply after my job, thanks for answer !

DUDU.car ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2016 at 10:50 AM

He, funny program ! I only played with a few parameters and created a mesh, that work great. It's very new for me, is it a way to load a texture and create an .mtl file for an obj. ? Thanks !

Sockratease ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2016 at 3:54 PM ยท edited Thu, 17 March 2016 at 3:54 PM

DUDU.car posted at 3:49PM Thu, 17 March 2016 - #4261514

He, funny program ! I only played with a few parameters and created a mesh, that work great. It's very new for me, is it a way to load a texture and create an .mtl file for an obj. ? Thanks !

The exported obj files are not UV Mapped, so no texturing can happen until that is done in your UV Mapper of choice (I usually do a quick and dirty "Box" projection right in Carrara, where I render them).

In MB3D you can use an image map in the lighting panel, but that only works withing the program and does not export. However, great fun can be had just using images as light maps!

lissabulb.jpg

Free Fractal obj Files!

DUDU.car ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2016 at 4:08 PM

OK, I'll do that in Carrara too. I can imagine your image with a cow also... Thanks for the tip. Cheers !

Sockratease ( ) posted Fri, 18 March 2016 at 3:57 PM

DUDU.car posted at 3:50PM Fri, 18 March 2016 - #4261555

OK, I'll do that in Carrara too. I can imagine your image with a cow also... Thanks for the tip. Cheers !

Yeah, with Fractals I usually annoy the crowd by mapping the woman I love into orbit traps, or use her as a light map, or something. The cows fixation is usually used with the Cowrarra crowd and other 3D stuff.

But Cows and Fractals do mix quite well!

office.jpg

But when I try mixing Lissa with 3D the results vary widely...

carraralissas.png

Free Fractal obj Files!

DUDU.car ( ) posted Fri, 18 March 2016 at 4:26 PM

Superb !!!

prutzworks ( ) posted Fri, 08 April 2016 at 3:17 AM

did some incendia into Mojoworld, sounds interesting, give it a try

minder is meer

prutzworks ( ) posted Fri, 08 April 2016 at 9:30 AM

works so I'm very happy!

land of the Chtulhupp.jpg

minder is meer

martial ( ) posted Wed, 20 April 2016 at 1:29 PM

I just trry it Wow Is it a user manual for understand all this parameters and modules?

Thanks

Sockratease ( ) posted Wed, 20 April 2016 at 4:33 PM

martial posted at 4:29PM Wed, 20 April 2016 - #4266359

I just trry it Wow Is it a user manual for understand all this parameters and modules?

Thanks

There are plenty of tutorials on youtube for MB3D - also fractalforums has a lot of very talented and helpful people if you have any questions. Feel free to ask there, or if I can help I'll try to answer any questions here - but just learning the basics is too much to answer in a single short post. The tutorials available online cover many aspects and I am sure there are some "getting started" ones out there if you search.

Good luck and feel free to ask any specific questions you may have either here or over at ff.

Free Fractal obj Files!

Sockratease ( ) posted Wed, 20 April 2016 at 4:35 PM

prutzworks posted at 4:34PM Wed, 20 April 2016 - #4264661

did some incendia into Mojoworld, sounds interesting, give it a try

Nice work prutzworks!

I've been sick and missed that one when you posted it.

Keep it up and have fun ๐Ÿ˜€

Free Fractal obj Files!

martial ( ) posted Wed, 20 April 2016 at 4:49 PM

Thanks Sockratease I will search some video

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.