Wed, Sep 18, 2:14 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Virtual World Dynamics

Welcome to the Virtual World Dynamics Forum

Virtual World Dynamics F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 1:40 pm)

Subject: Hair Import Does Not Wait for OBJ Creation

Leonides02 ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2018 at 1:44 AM · edited Sun, 01 September 2024 at 10:54 PM

I love VWD (can't wait for the GPU version!), but I have a nut I can't crack.

I'm trying to import **this hair ** but I can't get the import to work no matter how many settings I play with.

What happens is the import begins and it takes longer than normal (I think it's a complicated hair). Then, all of a sudden VWD pops up with an error that says, "Audry VWD Obj not found." I can close the error and the import seems to continue like normal, but then VWD is stuck on "Preparing Obj" forever.

Any ideas, Gerald? :)

Akabane ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2018 at 2:35 AM

Hello,

i´m not Gerald, but maybe i have a hint for you. VWD has got a timelimit for importing an item which is set by the DAZ Studio Bridge if you are DAZ Studio User. There was an updated VWDPython.dse file for the bridge short after Studio 4.10 was released, which sets this importing time limit to 30 seconds i think. If you use the older bridge dse-file found in the current DAZ Bridge Version, it isn´t limited that much and should work properly. This is what Gerald had written some weeks ago in a thread here. Had the same problem and that older Studio Bridge VWDPython.dse file helped me stopping that errors.

Hope that helps.

Greetings, Akabane

Leonides02 ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2018 at 3:00 AM · edited Tue, 03 April 2018 at 3:01 AM

Thanks, Akabane. I'm actually using the older script. But!

I got it to work. I had to buy and use Decimator for DAZ. It had WAY too many polys. :)

Smaker1 ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2018 at 12:59 PM

Yep it's a heavy heavy hair !

The hair load with High resolution by default but even with base resolution I couldn't import it in VWD (I'm using the GPU version)

Is it for still render or animation ? For sitll render I would not do a sim as there are plenty of morphs to adjust the tail.

I tried with the tail only and still too heavy (188000 polys) ! Had some trouble with decimator (the new LOD is not took in account by VWD or the bridge) but I may be wrong.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2018 at 4:42 PM

Hello,

I never use this hair but you are right, Daz's new hairs are very difficult to import.

@Leonides02: I suppose you import this hair in base resolution. Tails are difficult to simulate in the program. I want to write a function which will automatically reduce the springs count. I think it will be the best way in the future. Even better than the 64 bits program. With a 64 bits program, it would be possible to import 100 millions springs but the computing time would be very high even with the GPU version. I would like to define a maximum value to 20 millions springs. The GPU version has the advantage to have a time limit set to 60 sec. This helps to import the hair. If you are interested by the GPU version, I can send it to you if you give me a email address.

Follow me on Twitter : @VWDynamics

Watch demo videos on Youtube

Leonides02 ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2018 at 3:55 AM

Smaker1 posted at 3:54AM Wed, 04 April 2018 - #4327396

Yep it's a heavy heavy hair !

The hair load with High resolution by default but even with base resolution I couldn't import it in VWD (I'm using the GPU version)

Is it for still render or animation ? For sitll render I would not do a sim as there are plenty of morphs to adjust the tail.

I tried with the tail only and still too heavy (188000 polys) ! Had some trouble with decimator (the new LOD is not took in account by VWD or the bridge) but I may be wrong.

Thanks, Smaker. It actually worked fine with the Decimator. But Gerald is right, doing the tails is hard!

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 3:54AM Wed, 04 April 2018 - #4327405

Hello,

I never use this hair but you are right, Daz's new hairs are very difficult to import.

@Leonides02: I suppose you import this hair in base resolution. Tails are difficult to simulate in the program. I want to write a function which will automatically reduce the springs count. I think it will be the best way in the future. Even better than the 64 bits program. With a 64 bits program, it would be possible to import 100 millions springs but the computing time would be very high even with the GPU version. I would like to define a maximum value to 20 millions springs. The GPU version has the advantage to have a time limit set to 60 sec. This helps to import the hair. If you are interested by the GPU version, I can send it to you if you give me a email address.

That would be terrific, Gerald. Thanks. I will email you.

philemot ( ) posted Fri, 06 April 2018 at 3:19 AM

Part of the time needed to export a mesh from Studio or Carrara is welding duplicate vertices. For hair, it takes a very long time because most of the edges have to be inspected. Maybe I could add the option to skip that part?

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sat, 07 April 2018 at 2:15 AM

Hello,

I just made a test with Audrey hair. Here is the result : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JGLhkUvHhxBcpGr3r73dIsCJJzKqQT-w

Philippe, If you want, I can include the welding method in the subdivision function.

mndsng ( ) posted Sat, 07 April 2018 at 9:55 PM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 4:53PM Sat, 07 April 2018 - #4327628

Hello,

I just made a test with Audrey hair. Here is the result : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JGLhkUvHhxBcpGr3r73dIsCJJzKqQT-w

Philippe, If you want, I can include the welding method in the subdivision function.

wow... that's a really impressive sim. It's completely believable.

--ms

Leonides02 ( ) posted Sun, 08 April 2018 at 4:44 PM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 4:43PM Sun, 08 April 2018 - #4327628

Hello,

Looks fantastic, Gerald. Can you share what settings you used?

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Mon, 09 April 2018 at 2:38 PM

Thank you mndsng and Leonides02, I will do a small tutorial to explain the method.

My problem with this kind of simulations, it is not the simulation time but the transfer time to the host. Some minutes for the simulation, some hours for the transfer. It would be very helpful that Daz Studio accepts to read Cache files like PC2 or ABC files.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2018 at 3:20 PM

@Leonides02: I don't forget you. I will try to send you this video tomorrow.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2018 at 12:13 PM

Hello Leonides02,

Excuse me I lack time. I send you the method to do the simulation. You have to load a scene with Genesis 3 Female and Audrey hair.

• Open VWD
  • Import Genesis 3 Female as collision actor
  • Record the animation
  • Import Audrey hair as collision object (I confirm it)
  • Set Audrey hair in Base resolution
  • Record the animation.
  • Close VWD
  • Open VWD again
  • start Audrey hair.rip.

The computation of the springs for the neighborhood part is very long (several minutes). You can see the vertices used in the different functions using the History. I want to add a new functionality in the program to record the "springs" and the "nails to collision" to be able to reload very quickly a scene.

The you can start the simulation with the default parameters but with the GPU. If you transfer the simulation in Daz Studio, you will see the transfer time is very very long. 😁

If you have any issue, feel free to tell me.

Have a great day.

Gérald

Here is the ling to the RIP file : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1c_O73CkB00KsRktA_41URQaNccGNM79y

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2018 at 10:26 AM

@Leonides02 : I will take some time on Sunday to create a video showing how to do the Audrey hair simulation. Have you made some tests using my previous message or it is not clear enough? I agree a video will be more helpful.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2018 at 1:52 PM

Hello,

here is the link to the tutorial.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cMZgi2QCygqdQBJMAi8dpJGevVsqBITP

I apologize for my bad english, the words didn't come easily this time. Sorry. I hope this tutorial will help you to understand how to animate Audrey Hair.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2018 at 3:34 PM

Hello Leonides02,

I hope you had time enough to make a test with Audrey hair.

Currently, I work on a new function which allows to save the springs at the end of the simulation. This function takes some seconds to import a complex simulation using the RIP file. The complex importation at full time have to be made only once.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.