Sun, Oct 6, 6:59 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Making low lying fog/mist

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2012 at 2:51 PM

file_480674.jpg

Here's a quick render, not using IDL. It renders really slow with IDL, but it does work.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2012 at 2:52 PM

Adjust the variation in density with the Cloud Gain value. I have it at .99 for extrame clumpiness. Decrease that for a more even distribution.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2012 at 2:54 PM

file_480675.jpg

Here is gain = .5

Gareee ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2012 at 5:12 PM

Awesome, and thanks! ;)

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2012 at 10:51 AM

From top down this looks good, but from waist high, you get horizontal "stripes" from the fog strips.

I thought originally you were using vertically oriented polys, and adjusted height with the shader? This might work better from a typical render perspective.

Render times though are really much too high for practical use. I even tried removing ever other poly layer starting with the bottom one (Which really wouldn't be needed anyway) and rendertimes were still problematic.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2012 at 11:00 AM

Yes parallel planes always make stripes when you view them at a shallow angle.

A combination of horizontal and vertical can be better at certain angles, but worse at others. Sometimes totally random polygons works better.

It's not possible to get the best results from a generic fog prop based on a single pre-defined mesh. You can always improve on that. What you really want is to construct one based on the actual camera position and angle.

And render times do go up real bad with IDL. Not so with IBL or self-lit.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2012 at 10:40 PM

ground fog looks good IMVHO. now one can try renders of cars with undercarriage light panels to see how it affects the fog, unlike poser atmosphere.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2012 at 10:59 PM

file_480737.jpg

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2012 at 6:49 AM

Odd that the headlights didn't get picked up at all.

The high render times though make it unuseable for me. A render with just the fog and one imported untextured prop took more than 2 hours, and I stopped it, abbout 3/4 way through.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2012 at 7:05 AM · edited Mon, 23 April 2012 at 7:06 AM

IDL doesn't pick up headlights - anything that subtends a small angle is a tiny contributer. Remember, diffuse light from any given point came from a hemisphere visible from that point. A headlight even from a few feet away is nothing - barely contributes.

This is not proper math, but tolerate me for a moment. The world around any given point (visible hemisphere) can be thought of as 90 degrees by 360 degrees. In "square degrees"  that's roughly 90 * 360 or something like 32000 units of environment.

A nearby headlight might be roughly 8 by 8 or 64 units.

So the headlight occupies 64 / 32000 = .002 of the environment units that contribute to IDL. Is it any wonder then that the intensity of light from a glowing headlight prop is practically nothing?

You need focused, directed beams in this equation. I would add spotlights to perform that function. But I was merely trying out the fog on the neon undercarriage.

Meanwhile, my render was 5 minutes. Did you change my settings on the prop? I made sure to make it invisible to raytracing and not a light emitter. It's way too many transparencies for the raytrace engine to deal with.

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2012 at 10:24 AM · edited Mon, 23 April 2012 at 10:29 AM

The first render I just loaded the envsphere, applied an image, loaded the fog, and then a simple branch prop. it started rendering at the lowest ray trace setting, and after 20 minutes, I took a nap (it was still pretty early in the morning)

I came back an hour and a half later, and saw it was still rendering, and killed it.

I then deleted every other plane, starting with the bottom most one, and then started the same exact thing on that, and killed it after a half hour or so.

I just checked, and it is still visible in ray tracing, and is a light emitter.. I'll toggle those off, and see what happens. I'm trying to set the view angle from something like say, 15 feet above the ground in a real world setting, BTW. Would vertical planes be better for something like that?

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2012 at 11:22 AM

(EDIT: I had ripped the geomoetry out and saved out that prop, and was using it. Apparantly poser file editor ignores those settings, and turns them back on even if they are off. In the original fog prop linked, they are in fact set to off.)

I was also using a large map, 5000 pixels wide, and I think that also really increased render times. A lower res map seems to render faster (But of course, the trade off is a very pixellated background.)

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2012 at 12:46 PM

file_480761.jpg

Even with invisible in ray tracing and with light emitter off, and a lower res (1000 pixels wide) light map, I'm still seeing ungodly high render times compared with usual.

Here's a clip from it, since its still rendering an hour and a half later, 1171x960 (same as preview size)

It just finished as I typed this, and I started it before a shopping trip I've just come back home from.

I just takes far too long to be useful here.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 6:57 PM
Site Admin

In the atmosphire shader what it the number for the cue depth end distance? I can quite read it.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 8:09 PM

None of the screenshots of atmosphere settings in this thread use depth cue, so it does not matter.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2012 at 8:29 PM
Site Admin

ok thanks!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Inspired_Art ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2012 at 4:52 PM

Just curious if the height of the fog can be manipulated for animation?

Eddy

Inspired_Art ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2012 at 1:59 PM

Quote - Just curious if the height of the fog can be manipulated for animation?

LOL. Nevermind, back reading helps.

Eddy

Inspired_Art ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2012 at 1:59 PM

Quote - Just curious if the height of the fog can be manipulated for animation?

LOL. Nevermind, back reading helps.

Eddy

Inspired_Art ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2013 at 12:19 AM

Something is going on here. Even though I try to raise the fog height, it is still staying the same.

Fog plane

Eddy

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2013 at 12:56 AM · edited Thu, 24 October 2013 at 12:58 AM

Shot in the Dark, what are your units?

Did you mean to have .3 or 3 in your set up for Y?

Inspired_Art ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2013 at 12:59 AM · edited Thu, 24 October 2013 at 1:01 AM

Feet

D'oh!

Eddy

ironsoul ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2013 at 2:47 AM

Believe P uses internal units which are much smaller than feet so 3 represents a very small distance, might need to scale down the Y value.

edriver ( ) posted Sat, 30 June 2018 at 5:36 PM

I know this is a rather old post so I'm kinda slow in finding it. I find mr. baggins' fog atmosphere settings advice to be VERY useful and it works like it's supposed to (perfectly). However, that being said, I would like to ask for a small amount of advice for a possible modification setting. What I'm trying to accomplish is almost pretty much what's been outlined which is a fog/myst that covers the ground at a depth I can specify in the node parameters but with one exception. I would like to have the fog to have a clear circular area in the center where I can have my Poser character standing unobscured by the fog. I want the fog to be seen as seeming to creep inwards toward them as it engulfs the area around them and is closing in on their position. Is there some sort of transparency that can be added that could accomplish the circular region of "no fog area" that won't be looking too perfectly round at the eges but have a cloudy gradient between the denser are and the clear area?

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 05 July 2018 at 3:42 PM

Edriver - for which Poser version?

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

edriver ( ) posted Fri, 06 July 2018 at 6:15 AM

TrekkieGrrrl posted at 6:15AM Fri, 06 July 2018 - #4332783

Edriver - for which Poser version?

I'm using Poser 11

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2018 at 8:12 AM

Boy - either I've lost my patience with rendering, or Poser 11 is a lot slower at this than earlier versions.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2018 at 8:20 AM

image.png

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2018 at 8:21 AM

Encroaching Fog.png

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2018 at 8:22 AM

When modulating the fog density, the fog planes (rather than volume as in SuperFly) are very obvious. This is one of the reasons I prefer SuperFly.

Shadow_Fyre ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2018 at 8:57 PM

Thank you for that bagginsbill, that looks like a fun effect.

3D-Mobster ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2018 at 6:06 PM · edited Sun, 15 July 2018 at 6:18 PM

////Okay so briefly, what I want to accomplish is a sort of ground hugging fog effect in Poser 7.

I've spent several hours playing with the atmosphere effects in the materials tab, and I can make fog be in the distance, up close, and even make it start above ground.////

Alternatively you can do it in Photoshop or Gimp, which have a lot of benefits over doing it in Poser as you can change it very fast and save you a lot of render time and also you have full control exactly where you want it. Also learning to use either of these will not be time wasting for pretty much anything you want to do in Poser as you can retouch you images here very easy.

Anyway should you want to try doing it this way, then there is a good tutorial here as well on how to do it in Photoshop, but im pretty sure you can do it in Gimp as well or something very similar. The reason I mention Gimp is that its free.

Add Atmosphere (Fog) To Your Images - Photoshop CS5

This might be easier.

Easily Adding Fog To Your Photos in #Photoshop

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.