Wed, Oct 2, 6:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: How do I use a shader from another file on the model I working on?

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2018 at 6:32 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 1:08 AM

I'm asking this question on several forums I frequent in hopes of getting an answer. Anyone know how to append a texture or shader in Blender? I bought some shaders for Cycles, but they only come in .Blend files. They're good shaders, but the only way I can even see them is to open the .blend file in Blender. How do you add it to your model without rebuilding the shader? This is the problem I'm having with adding any shader from Blender to Poser as well.

incantrix ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2018 at 2:21 AM

Under the file menu use append then locate the blend file the shader is in then locate the shader from that file and append it to your scene make sure the object you want to put it to is selected before you import the shader.

Incantrix

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2018 at 4:23 AM · edited Wed, 25 July 2018 at 4:24 AM

I have found the easiest way to multi-use shaders is to turn it into a group. Give it a name you'll recognise... and make a note of which project your shader-group is in.

Then, when you're in your .blend and want to use that shader,, do a:

File -> Append -> BlendWithShader.blend -> NodeTree -> NodeGroupByName

... and then click Append from Library. Now, when you right-click in the Node Editor, and select Add, you'll find your node-group under Group.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

Miss B ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2018 at 12:29 PM

Excellent information folks. I'll definitely be making a note of this. 🙂

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

keppel ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2018 at 10:22 AM

Another suggestion to consider is the Asset Management addon. It is a commercial addon but I highly recommend it as it allows you to create a material library that you add to with a couple of clicks as well as an asset library, scene library and HDRI library. Here is the Blender Artists link that demonstrates the addon: Asset Management

My Renderosity Store
Virtual Furnishing
My Portfolio

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.