Mon, Sep 30, 5:12 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 2:29 pm)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Superfly with GPU rendering on GeForce GTX 960

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 8:13 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 3:06 AM
Online Now!

Ok guys so, storytime!

I used to work on a nVidia GeForce GTX 960 and render with GPU rendering on it. I remember that at some point it was rendering full gray, I don't remember what I did to correct that.

My husband's graphics card broke, and he's a video maker, so he purchased a powerful one from AMD - only to then realize he needed Cuda support for his work and that wouldn't do, so I took his AMD card, and he bought a new nVidia one. I had to switch to CPU rendering but it was fine, as my processor was enough to render while I worked on other things.

Fast forward a time, and the AMD card started showing some problems, and I decided to go back to my old GeForce and GPU rendering.

Except that now it decides to render gray! Again. And I don't know how I fixed that the other time (but I know it did happen before so I don't think this is a problem with 11.2).

What I've tried and didn't work:

-Restarting. Duh. -Uninstalling the AMD drivers/reinstalling the nVidia drivers. -Reinstalling Poser on top of the installation, because I figured it might be confused that a different graphics card was present when it was installed. -Changing my render settings.

I'm kinda lazy to try completely uninstalling Poser (right after so many times with the Early Adopter program 😂 ) to install it again unless I **know **it would work. And the other thing I could think of would be formatting my computer but GOD PLEASE NO that's so annoying aaagh.

Any ideas? It's ok if I have to like edit registry or run something like Revo Uninstaller or whatever.

Detailed info:

image.png

Using "render in background".

It opens a little box loading stuff from my document, then does this with a gray render window...

image.png

Then just stops as if finished.

image.png

I JUST tried rendering with the usual thing instead of render in background, and after it loads my scene, it shows this:

image.png

Which doesn't seem right, as I only have four figures, and a background prop that's just a panel. Decreasing Bucket Size isn't helping.

Computer specs:

-Windows 10 Pro x64, version 10.0.18362 -Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 (3.30GHz, 2201 Mhz, 4 cores, 8 logical processors) -16gb RAM -nVidia GeForce GTX 960

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

structure ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 9:39 AM · edited Tue, 01 October 2019 at 9:40 AM
Forum Coordinator

I use a 1060 GTX, I have had this same issue - it's like the GPU finishes rendering before it starts, I don't recall how I resolved it, the only thing I remember doing was cleaning the temp folders, and restarting poser. perhaps uninstalling your display driver completely using DDU and reinstalling might resolve the issue.

Locked Out

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 9:48 AM
Online Now!

I'll try those as soon as my current render is done! Thanks!

- - - - - - 

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 4:00 PM
Online Now!

Huh!

I had already typed here that it worked - I did both of your suggestions, and also changed my temp folder to another HDD that has more space - but...

image.png

It stops like this. Two buckets and gives up.

- - - - - - 

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 4:01 PM
Online Now!

When I render not-in-background, it's stopping with this error:

image.png

And it looks black instead with one bucket.

image.png

- - - - - - 

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 4:05 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2019 at 4:06 PM
Online Now!

Reduced bucket size gives me this instead...

image.png

(this one was after I returned my Temp folder to its default location.)

- - - - - - 

philadam ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 4:11 PM

Take a look here: https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/3854/cuda-error-at-cuctxcreate-launch-failed/6

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 4:31 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2019 at 4:36 PM
Online Now!

Oh god I found it. I have HDRIs plugged into my Background material to serve as lights+reflections in my scene.

I deleted those from the Background material... it's rendering. Just like that.

I'll check what you linked, philadam, and see if that helps with my problem. Thank you for it!

As we don't know how long the SM forum will stay up, I'll paste here for someone who might reach this thread in the future.

From shvrdavid:

Now that I see you have a timeout, that leads to one conclusion.

The TdrDelay is at 2 seconds, which isn't enough

Open regedit.exe (Press the Windows key, type “regedit”, press enter, confirm that you want to open it). Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/GraphicsDrivers

a) If the folder contains a key with the name “TdrDelay”, right-click it and change the value to something high enough for your scene. Something between 8 and 16 should be fine, the number is interpreted as seconds. And be aware of the difference between a decimal and a hexadecimal input.

b) If the folder does not contain a key with the name “TdrDelay”, right-click into the empty space below the values and create a new “DWORD”-value. Name it “TdrDelay” and change the value as described in 3.a). Reboot your system for the changes to take effect.

You can find more info about it here. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/tdr-registry-keys

And here http://developer.download.nvidia.com/NsightVisualStudio/2.2/Documentation/UserGuide/HTML/Content/Timeout_Detection_Recovery.htm

There is a program to do a lot of this for you here http://www.wagnardmobile.com/Tdr Manipulator/Tdr Manipulator v1.1.zip

And Deecey has recommended the Substance Painter recommendations: https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/gpu-drivers-crash-with-long-computations-128745489.html

I'll try this here and check if that makes it work with the Background HDRI!

- - - - - - 

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 4:55 PM
Online Now!

Renders a little then times out.

I'm now thinking that GPU rendering has problems with HDRIs on the background (and come to think of it, I think I saw someone mention that somewhere in the forums?)

I guess I'll try going back to using EnvSphere, then.

- - - - - - 

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 5:04 PM
Online Now!

.... It's not rendering with the envsphere either AAAAAA.

I'll play with those registry values. If something works, I'll mention what did here.

In any case, thank you both of you!

- - - - - - 

NobbyC ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 5:09 AM

Hi Ohki, how much memory does your graphic card have. I the past i have this "cuda error" when the scene needs more memory as my graphic card has.

Ceers Nobby

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 5:47 AM
Online Now!

NobbyC posted at 6:46AM Wed, 02 October 2019 - #4365368

Hi Ohki, how much memory does your graphic card have. I the past i have this "cuda error" when the scene needs more memory as my graphic card has.

Ceers Nobby

2gb / 128 bit.

I imagine that a more powerful one might handle it, but I was confused because I had used this one to render before, months ago. But then again I think I wasn't using HDRI - are they THIS HEAVY on Poser...

- - - - - - 

NobbyC ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 7:11 AM

Hi Ohki, 2gb ram are to less, this is a problen what has "blender cycles" and "superfly". Maybe this gives you some more information: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/render/cycles/gpu_rendering.html But the only solution is that you get a graphic card with more ram (no RTX Card they are still not supportet) or you can try to make your scene smaler that it fits the memory of your card.

• smaler image sice or less "sub division".

Ceers Nobby

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 7:50 AM
Online Now!

Yes, I was considering shrinking my HDRI maps. Might work.

In any case, thanks!

- - - - - - 

patlane ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2019 at 11:11 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2019 at 11:14 PM

Hello Ohki. Sounds like a Cuda problem. I had the grey screen on my renders also. Use this tool to see if your graphics card can run Cuda. If it shows unticked or greyed out, you might be able to go onto the cuda site and update the cuda drivers. If not, you may need a bigger graphics card. TECH-power-up-tool.jpg

TechPowerUp

Hope it puts you on the right path.

Pat :)

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Sat, 05 October 2019 at 5:26 AM
Online Now!

image.png

It's probably just a case of the HDRI maps being too much for it, I think.

But thanks in any case!

- - - - - - 

hornet3d ( ) posted Sat, 05 October 2019 at 6:25 AM

I have a GTX 1080 Ti with 11Gig on board and it will give me the same results as you are getting. I do use it for renders when I am trying out new clothes on a figure, so one figure and outfit and simple background and it renders without problems and at speed. All of my scenes result in two or so buckets and then the render fails.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.