Mon, Oct 21, 9:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:06 pm)

Subject: Making fur clothing with only one hair growth group?

duesentrieb ( ) posted Fri, 10 July 2020 at 10:52 AM ยท edited Sun, 20 October 2024 at 1:28 PM

I recently made a fur coat out of a simple coat by creating hair growth groups on every character body part (chest, left collar, left forearm, etc...). Works like a charm, but I find it totally annoying that I have to assign the hair material to each of the hair growth groups seperately and also have to calculate the dynamics for each group seperately.

Is there a way to take all cloth polygons and create one large hair growth group on it? That would make life so much easier.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 10 July 2020 at 11:36 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

Unfortunately, the way poser handles grouping, it seems like the answer is no. The only way for you to have the coat need only one hair group is to have it be dynamic so there are no different parts.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Fri, 10 July 2020 at 1:15 PM

If you are doing a static render just export the figure as a prop; re-import this new prop and use the grouping tool to select all polys, or just the ones you need; and add them to a new group upon which you will grow your hair. After the hair has been grown in the hair room you can delete the figure-prop you grew the hair on keeping your hair object(fur coat) to use in the final render. Parent the hair that the hair room generates (fur coat) to your original figure. It sounds way more complicated that it actually is. One thing though is mesh density. If the original figure's geometry is uneven, so will the hair that grows from it. This can be fixed easily in a modeling app using the re-mesh command or whatever the particular modeler terms the process of taking a mesh and evening out the poly size and distribution. Every modeling program, free or paid; has this feature available.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Fri, 10 July 2020 at 3:25 PM

As parkdalegardner said, for converting figure to static prop. You will want to weld on reimport however or you will have body part seams at group boundaries. Additionally you can simplify the single group process by following these directions...

Export your clothing item with only preserve existing material names checked.

Reimport with only weld identical vertices checked.

Open the grouping tool and click add new group, naming it.

Click add: All; the entire prop will turn red indicating it is all one group.

Your figure/conforming clothing item will now be a seamless, welded static prop with pre existing uvs and material regions. You can use material collections intended for the original garment if you wish.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

duesentrieb ( ) posted Sat, 11 July 2020 at 4:40 AM

Thanks a lot for enlightening me! The static prop workaround doesn't seem to save much work, though. If the clothing would be a tight fitting dress, it would be easy to convert it to a prop once and then use the cloth simulator on it for the final pose and finally calculate the hair dynamics for the single hair group. But a fur coat is stiff and can't be properly handled in a cloth simulation. I guess I will decide in each case which way is the easiest, now that I know the limitations and tricks.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 11 July 2020 at 6:39 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

For a coat, you'll need to adjust your dynamic control settings. I found these settings worked well with the coat I tested. You may need to tweak for your clothes.

fur coat settings.JPG

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.