Wed, Sep 18, 7:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Just bought Poser Debut. Flash won´t let me use libraries...

Chrope ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2020 at 6:39 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 1:31 AM

Hi.

I have previously posted another thread where I couldn´t use Poser 8 as it needed Flash for the library as I couldn´t solve it eventhough I tried to download old versions of Flash as people adviced me to and since Poser is a little too advanced for me, I read about Poser Debut, that it was a slimmed down version of Poser whcih as a little easier to get started with.

When I tried to install it I was told by the system that the certificate for the installer was invalid I which acknowledged. Then I installed it and found myself in the same situation as before where Poser 8 couldn´t utilize the library. I have tried to download an old Flash version but the problem persists. The library window goes "Blocked plug in". I wonder if there is a way around the certificate or to make it valid again as that seems to be at play when it comes to the flash issue. I downloaded the Flash player 11 as someone told me to download an old version, but the problem persists even with this newly bought version of Poser Debut.

What is there left to do for me. is there a way to re-vailidate the certificate?

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2020 at 7:06 PM
Online Now!

I don't know if there is a valid workaround for Poser Debut because it is such an old piece of software that didn't get much support at all. It was originally an art tool, something for 2d artists to create poses or scenes and copy that to conventional art medium such as pencil, watercolor, oil, etc. It is becoming very apparent that older versions of Poser are becoming less and less functional as PC and MAC OS continue to evolve.

Chrope ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2020 at 7:54 PM

I hear what your are saying but it doesn´t make much sense that an application that is designed to be easy for newcomers isn´t better at getting new people to use it. Apples products just to make a comparison was designed to be easy to use without the user having to become a computer a computer engineer to master the most simple tasks. But that seems to be the situation quite frankly...

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2020 at 8:12 PM

I stopped using Flash years ago because, for the most part, software companies were not updating their products to utilize Flash. IOW, it's just not usable in any way shape or form anymore.

I use my library through my browser, but unfortunately, that option's only available to those using Poser 11. It's not available for earlier versions of Poser.

There was a piece of software I used to use with my Poser 9 called Advanced Library Manager, but unfortunately, that was on my last laptop, and not installed on this one. The creator of the software is no longer involved with 3D, so it's not being sold anywhere anymore.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

HMorton ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2020 at 8:22 PM

Chrope posted at 8:14PM Fri, 07 August 2020 - #4396285

I hear what your are saying but it doesn´t make much sense that an application that is designed to be easy for newcomers isn´t better at getting new people to use it. Apples products just to make a comparison was designed to be easy to use without the user having to become a computer a computer engineer to master the most simple tasks. But that seems to be the situation quite frankly...

Are you using Apple computer? If you are then its strange for sure. If you're using Windows then it makes more sense. Flash has been found to contain many, many security issues for Windows users over the years. Most software developers will not use Flash in their products now because of this fact. Adobe has discontinued developing Adobe Flash products because of this, for example, and have urged users to disable it on their computers. This wasn't just Windows computers, it was Windows, Linux, and any other platform using Adobe products.

Earlier this year, Apple said goodbye to Flash in their Safari browser too. So as of 2020, Flash is a dead technology as far as most software developers are concerned.

The solution for you, if you really must use that old version of Poser might be to find an older computer to run it on, or install a dual boot that contains Windows 7 or earlier OS that will allow Flash apps to run. Just keep that computer offline when you do, because Flash is a gateway for malware now.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2020 at 8:23 PM

As a former Mac user I'll tell you that Mac's are very older software unfriendly.

As a former Mac Poser user who now uses windows I'll also tell you that many of the 3rd party tools and conveniences that go along with Poser content creation are unavailable to Mac users. It was incredibly frustrating. Now that I've switched to windows I can use little apps from many years ago that make certain Poser tasks much easier. And they all still work. I'm amazed really.

The hard truth is that you'll need to use a more current version of Poser. And ironically digital art making is a more open horizon on windows.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

HMorton ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2020 at 8:35 PM

No one should ever develop software that requires Flash anymore. Every company is dropping support for Flash now because it's a portal for malware on most systems, including Apple. It's mostly the Flash Player and online browser support that is the issue, but I seriously wouldn't trust anything that depends on Flash to run anymore. There's so many better options out there for dynamic software programming.

Either use it on an old machine that will support Flash, or upgrade Poser. That's really the only alternatives you have now. Running flash on modern OS that is connected to the internet is asking for trouble.

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2020 at 9:41 PM

The problem is Apple flat-out blocks Flash, at least the older versions that work with Poser. I don't think there's any way around it.

I think buying Poser Debut was a mistake. You should upgrade, not downgrade. Buy the new version, not an obsolete version. Especially since you have a Mac, which isn't as open to tinkering.

You can try the newest version of Poser for free:

https://www.posersoftware.com/downloads

There's a 21 day free trial period, and if you like it, you can get upgrade pricing, since you own older versions of Poser.

Alternately, you could try DAZ Studio, which is free, and has a reputation for being user friendly.

HMorton ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2020 at 10:06 PM

randym77 posted at 10:02PM Fri, 07 August 2020 - #4396295

The problem is Apple flat-out blocks Flash, at least the older versions that work with Poser. I don't think there's any way around it.

I think buying Poser Debut was a mistake. You should upgrade, not downgrade. Buy the new version, not an obsolete version. Especially since you have a Mac, which isn't as open to tinkering.

You can try the newest version of Poser for free:

https://www.posersoftware.com/downloads

There's a 21 day free trial period, and if you like it, you can get upgrade pricing, since you own older versions of Poser.

Alternately, you could try DAZ Studio, which is free, and has a reputation for being user friendly.

Windows blocks it too. Like I said above, Flash is completely done. All software vendors have been moving away from it since 2017, and now in 2020 it's been phased out of Safari browser, and Chrome has it disabled by default. Adobe wanted people to uninstall it a couple years ago, and most AntiVirus software, including windows defender, will block it automatically.

So, like I said, one option is to just use an old computer with an old OS that is not connected online, and use it for your old software that still uses flash. Or try to return Poser Debut (they shouldn't even be selling that anymore since it will not run on modern OS).

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2020 at 10:28 PM

HMorton posted at 10:20PM Fri, 07 August 2020 - #4396298

Windows blocks it too. Like I said above, Flash is completely done. All software vendors have been moving away from it since 2017, and now in 2020 it's been phased out of Safari browser, and Chrome has it disabled by default. Adobe wanted people to uninstall it a couple years ago, and most AntiVirus software, including windows defender, will block it automatically.

I know all this, but it's easier to get around it in Windows (ill-advised as that may be). Agree that Flash is not long for this world, but I also think many people will continue to use it, like people with older versions of Poser.

HMorton ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2020 at 10:32 PM · edited Fri, 07 August 2020 at 10:34 PM

randym77 posted at 10:28PM Fri, 07 August 2020 - #4396300

HMorton posted at 10:20PM Fri, 07 August 2020 - #4396298

I know all this, but it's easier to get around it in Windows (ill-advised as that may be). Agree that Flash is not long for this world, but I also think many people will continue to use it, like people with older versions of Poser.

I don't know where he bought Poser Debut, but I hope it wasn't here. They shouldn't be selling it since it's no longer safe and will not function on newer OS.

As randym77 suggests, it's actually easy to bypass on Windows. You can disable your antivirus and Windows security features and then it should run. However, I strongly advise against that too. I'd rather see someone using an old copy of Windows XP, Vista, or Win 7 on an old machine just to run that type of stuff. It's fine as long as it isn't connected to the internet in any way, then you're safe.

You might be able to run it in Windows 10 sandbox I don't know. Sandbox is only available to Windows Pro version though I think.

HMorton ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2020 at 10:36 PM

Personally, I would ask for my money back for Poser Debut, wherever you bought it. Unless they have a disclaimer that it requires Flash components to run and may cause security issues on newer OS, then you have a valid case to ask for money back,

prixat ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2020 at 5:39 AM

What version of Debut do you have? Smith Micro issued a free update years ago, (Which may have been the Adobe Air issue) from the original v8 to v10.0.5.28925

I don't get any error messages about flash.

regards
prixat

Chrope ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2020 at 9:18 AM

prixat posted at 9:11AM Sat, 08 August 2020 - #4396317

What version of Debut do you have? Smith Micro issued a free update years ago, (Which may have been the Adobe Air issue) from the original v8 to v10.0.5.28925

HI.

I think I actually have the first version. It seems like it is from 2011. I bought it on Ebay, it is a version that actually comes with both Mac OS x and Universal which was quite unusual even back then. As I used the old versions of Poser namely 4 to easily play with different perspectives I wanted an application that could get me back on track easily.

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2020 at 12:10 PM

I think you'll find the current version of Poser quite familiar if you're used to Poser 4. The interface is basically the same. There's the Hair Room and Cloth Room (introduced in Poser 5), but you don't have to use them. The Materials Room is much more advanced, but you have the option of using the Simple version, which is much like Poser 4.

You can try it for free for 21 days. Give it a shot. Flash will be a never ending headache with older versions of Poser.

WandW ( ) posted Sun, 09 August 2020 at 7:09 AM

Chrope posted at 8:04AM Sun, 09 August 2020 - #4396331

prixat posted at 9:11AM Sat, 08 August 2020 - #4396317

HI.

I think I actually have the first version. It seems like it is from 2011. I bought it on Ebay, it is a version that actually comes with both Mac OS x and Universal which was quite unusual even back then. As I used the old versions of Poser namely 4 to easily play with different perspectives I wanted an application that could get me back on track easily.

There was an update in 2015. Sadly, I only have the Windows version downloaded. Perhaps someone with the Mac version could arrange to make it available to Bondware?

Your Poser Debut serial will get you the upgrade price to 11 Pro, which would be the best solution in the long run...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Chrope ( ) posted Tue, 11 August 2020 at 12:45 AM

Thank you all for your advice. Especially WandW and randym77. I realize that it will just be a waste of time to continue to find a way with Poser Debut. I really appreciate all of your advice as it gave me options to take, that I wasn´t aware of.

Sincerely

Chrope

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 11 August 2020 at 4:02 AM

Ebay? Oops. I don't wish to add to your problems but there used to be (I don't know if it still applies) a clause in the Poser Licence that said reselling on auction sites wasn't allowed. IOW, you may have a hooky copy of Poser, even if it's on the original discs.

Best to get a refund and buy a new, up to date version from the nice people here.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 11 August 2020 at 12:29 PM
Online Now!

As a matter of fact, Poser Debut was distributed for free at one time which I picked up and is now sitting somewhere on a disc collecting pixels.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 12 August 2020 at 12:13 PM

hborre posted at 6:12PM Wed, 12 August 2020 - #4396625

As a matter of fact, Poser Debut was distributed for free at one time which I picked up and is now sitting somewhere on a disc collecting pixels.

You're absolutely right, I'd forgotten about that. In fact, I had it for a while before I got Pro 2012.

My Store

My Gallery

Chrope ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2020 at 1:50 AM

As my Imac only can be updated to mac os11 I will not be able to upgrade to Poser 11 as that needs Mac OS 12 or higher.... Does Poser 10 have the same flash issues as some previous versions?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2020 at 1:32 PM

If you have P10, why did you even bother with Debut?

My Store

My Gallery

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 22 August 2020 at 12:19 PM

op-will-surely-deliver-lets-just-wait-chan4chan-com-28231604.png

My Store

My Gallery

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 22 August 2020 at 12:44 PM

That's a lot of us in the U.S., waiting for the sabotaged Post Office to deliver. ;-)

I think the OP is considering buying Poser 10. They have Poser 8, and can't get it work due to Flash issues:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2949694

They tried Poser Debut, but that doesn't work either. And apparently their Mac is so old Poser 11 won't run on it.

(Is that really true? I don't know much about Macs at all. I wish a Mac user would weigh in. The system requirements for Poser 11 when it was with Smith Micro was Mac OS X 10.9, 10.10 or 10.11, not 12.)

CHK2033 ( ) posted Sat, 22 August 2020 at 1:05 PM · edited Sat, 22 August 2020 at 1:09 PM

randym77 posted at 1:00PM Sat, 22 August 2020 - #4397514

That's a lot of us in the U.S., waiting for the sabotaged Post Office to deliver. ;-)

I think the OP is considering buying Poser 10. They have Poser 8, and can't get it work due to Flash issues:

They tried Poser Debut, but that doesn't work either. And apparently their Mac is so old Poser 11 won't run on it.

(Is that really true? I don't know much about Macs at all. I wish a Mac user would weigh in. The system requirements for Poser 11 when it was with Smith Micro was Mac OS X 10.9, 10.10 or 10.11, not 12.)

Their pretty. I want one, the cheese grater looking one. Not for 3D But just to sit there so when people come over they can say, Oh thats pretty, and then I'll say, I know right.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Zbook 17 G6,  intel Xeon  64 GB of ram 1 TB SSD, Quadro RTX 5000 

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Sat, 22 August 2020 at 3:44 PM

CHK2033 posted at 4:41PM Sat, 22 August 2020 - #4397516

Their pretty. I want one, the cheese grater looking one. Not for 3D But just to sit there so when people come over they can say, Oh thats pretty, and then I'll say, I know right.

I had/have a PowerMac. Cheese grater. PPC. It was about 6 years old when I bought it refurbished through Powermax. Lasted me about 10 years and then the power supply went, recently. Backward compatibility with softwares isn't one of Mac OS strong points.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 22 August 2020 at 4:08 PM

randym77 posted at 10:08PM Sat, 22 August 2020 - #4397514

I didn't know you could still buy P10, which is why I assumed OP already had it.

My Store

My Gallery

CHK2033 ( ) posted Sat, 22 August 2020 at 4:14 PM

EldritchCellar posted at 3:53PM Sat, 22 August 2020 - #4397524

CHK2033 posted at 4:41PM Sat, 22 August 2020 - #4397516

I had/have a PowerMac. Cheese grater. PPC. It was about 6 years old when I bought it refurbished through Powermax. Lasted me about 10 years and then the power supply went, recently. Backward compatibility with softwares isn't one of Mac OS strong points. ............................................................................... I would get one as long as I could get a book that could dual boot full 100% legit copys of win and Mac's OS (not emulating) and had an NVidia card and not no amd BS, I'd get it.

HP Zbook 17 G6,  intel Xeon  64 GB of ram 1 TB SSD, Quadro RTX 5000 

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 22 August 2020 at 6:11 PM

SamTherapy posted at 6:10PM Sat, 22 August 2020 - #4397526

I didn't know you could still buy P10, which is why I assumed OP already had it.

They're buying used copies on eBay. They bought Poser Debut when they already had Poser 8.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 22 August 2020 at 8:56 PM

randym77 posted at 2:53AM Sun, 23 August 2020 - #4397546

SamTherapy posted at 6:10PM Sat, 22 August 2020 - #4397526

They're buying used copies on eBay. They bought Poser Debut when they already had Poser 8.

I could be entirely wrong but - as I mentioned earlier in the thread - ISTR the license doesn't allow for reselling on auction sites. Granted, the people who owned Poser don't own it any more but Rendo may well take a dim view of a copy obtained via Fleabay.

What makes it worse, is if someone is paying out money in good faith, they may find their copy isn't legit to use, even if it's the original discs.

My Store

My Gallery

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 22 August 2020 at 9:40 PM

If they have an issue with it, they can contact eBay and ask them to take the auctions down.

WandW ( ) posted Sun, 23 August 2020 at 11:23 AM

I bought my first copy of Poser on eBay years ago, an unopened shrinkwrapped copy of Poser 7.

It is legal to sell software licenses in the EU. In the US it's a currently matter of civil law depending on the EULA terms.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.