Fri, Aug 2, 9:51 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 28 8:54 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Creating DAZ Clothing Morphs with Blender (includes hiccups and solutions)

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2021 at 10:17 PM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 2:55 PM
Forum Moderator
yarp ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2021 at 5:16 AM

Thank you Lobo. Jay Versluis is very interesting to listen at. I like his tutorials Suscribed to that channel. I have suscribed to a number of DS channel but I have got very few suggestions from Youtube on DS. And even fewer on Poser.

Yarp - author of P3DO Organizer for Poser

yarp ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2021 at 5:54 AM · edited Thu, 15 July 2021 at 5:57 AM

Was a very interesting tutorial due to a number of issues. You learn more from mistakes than when things go smoothly.
Hopefully we will have something like the ZBrush bridge in Blender some day. And I would like the same in Poser: the morphing tool is a welcome helper for poke through but a frustrating one sometimes too :)

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2021 at 9:53 AM
Forum Moderator

There is a Zbrush to Blender bridge that is kept current instead of it being called GOZ it is called GOB easy to install I have not played with it yet myself but from what I heard it is pretty stable as to the a Bridge between Poser and Blender I would love to see one the original Daz to Blender bridge was based on an add-on that was being sold on Gumroad and the creator either approached Daz or Daz approached him and bought the rights to it I am sure there has to be a way to reverse engineer it and port with Poser. There was once a Blender add-on many years ago that showed some promise as a potential Poser Blender bridge you can read about it in this old forum thread https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2829354

How to Install GoZ [aka GoB] for Blender - 60 second tutorial

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

yarp ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2021 at 12:52 PM

Yes, I have heard about that. I think the reason for this is because ZBrush has internal tools for remote synchronization or somethjing like that.
But I don't have ZBrush, never played with it. I know a lot of people are using it, especially Poser creators.
Thank you for the link on the Poser to Blender tool; I will give it a look. I am curious to see how difficult or easy it would be to do a Blender plugin.

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2021 at 1:29 PM · edited Thu, 15 July 2021 at 1:32 PM

I would love to see one the original Daz to Blender bridge was based on an add-on >that was being sold on Gumroad and the creator either approached Daz or Daz >approached him and bought the rights to it I am sure there has to be a way to >reverse engineer it and port with Poser.

Actually the original Daz to blender plugin was being sold as "Daz G8 to Blender" by a vaguely entertaining person called "Mitchy".

It had some major bugs, did not sell well, and "Mitchy" apparently lost interest and he open sourced the code under the GPL

That is when Daz Co-opted & rebranded it as their product but they do not actually own it either and anyone could theoretically take the code from github and alter & redistribute it, I am given to understand.

This is not a criticism of Daz BTW, in fact I applaud their wise business accumen.

Why spend resources to build a genesis 8 to Blender plugin from scratch when someone else does ninety six percent of the work and tosses it into the GPL freebie bin?

I am curious to see how difficult or easy it would be to do a Blender plugin.

On the matter of a similar bridge to Poser there remains the problem of Bondware not truly having a set of official figures built to an "enforced" uniform standard.

Yes ...I know all about LF/LH but apparently poser now comes with Dawn/Dusk and some older legacy figures as well,(Mikki 2?) to say nothing of the various third party figures still being salvaged by poser users (Bella,Project-E)

All of which are built to whatever exotic standards thier makers chose which is why they can not natively share the same UV/textures or clothing (without yet another third party utility)..hence the lack of broad vendor support.

Not a problem for the poser faithful apparently but a tremendous problem when you start expecting third party "bridge to Blender" plugin makers to pick a "poser" figure when there is no unified Character ecosystem with an easily accessable knowledge base or "SDK" if you like.

With Daz Genesis the choice is easy even for the mutiple genesis generations, that the (Far superior) Diffeomorporhic,Daz to blender Blender plugin supports.

This is because there is a uniform standard structure for G1,2,3,8 enforced by Daz

The same is now true for the Reallusion CC3 avatars.

Even when we "import" a Daz genesis figure into CC3 pipeline that FBX figure is Copied via shape projection,UV/texture map reeassignment onto a blank base CC3 iclone native Avatar

Avatars that all share the same Base mesh and UV's so when "Victor Soupday" decided to create our Blender Auto setup/import plugin, he only had to point the Blender addon to ONE set of resources in our rigidly structured Reallusion core content directories to look for normal maps ,UV's Subsurface scatter, masks even auto lighting the Blender scene with the same Default Studio HDRI's that Character creator 3 uses to light the viewport in CC3 .

Finally there is the inexplicable attitude of the poser forum moderators who seem very afraid to see any other software discussed in the poser forum, even in the context of exporting Poser content to other applications.

There is a person who(it would appear)is trying to resurrect His long dead "Antonia" figure for poser and recently revived a 13 YEAR old ,400 page, thread about her.

Note how as soon as he & I mention the current state of exporting figures to Blender from the other major figure apps ( Daz ,Iclone)a moderator quickly steps in to squash the Discussion.

https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2753785&page_number=397

Not very encouraging incentives for any potential developer considering investing time in a poser figure to Blender plugin when communicating with the poser users where they hang out is forbidden.

My website

YouTube Channel

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2021 at 2:31 PM
Forum Moderator

Being a moderator I am not familiar with the issue that went on in the Poser forum or what decisions lead to what the moderator actions of that forum were so will not speak on it since I know personally I would not want a fellow moderator questioning my actions with out at least checking with me first so I will leave that at that. As to the Poser Blender add-on that I mentioned above the actual plugin is still available as one of my free items since it is open source I am not proficient in Python programing but thinking about maybe giving it a shot to see if this can be worked on and maybe some head way made to make it a viable add-on. Currently for the modeling I do I have found the standard FBX and Alembic import and export options have been pretty accurate for building Models in Blender and then bring them to Poser. Scaling has always been my biggest gripe with importing into Poser. Do not get me wrong I prefer Poser to Daz Studio mainly because the UI and everything is easier to find where things are tools do not get put in different places with each update which with Daz every time they come out with a new version or update tools or functions always seem to be moved somewhere else.

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

yarp ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2021 at 2:43 PM

Hi wolf359, thank you for the InDepth discussion.
I am aware it would be quite risky to start a Poser to Blender bridge and end up having to drop it because the python engine has changed. Unfortunately some great python tools like shaderworks have suffered such a fate.
As you pointed out, what Daz did is great. I would so much love to have that in Poser.
It is a lot of work and others than the Poser team will do that at their own risks.
I think than now that Blender is growing in strength Poser will come up with such a solution within a couple of years. I am hoping this :)

I have just watched a video of the GOZ bridge between DS and ZBrush. Compared to the Blender one it is far more simple. And also there is no texturing, just base mesh editing.
Far more simple does not mean it would be easy. I am a bit affraid by the Blender API, because I think it will be a hard to learn one. Hence the interest I have in looking at that plugin code.

yarp ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2021 at 2:48 PM

As to the Poser Blender add-on that I mentioned above the actual plugin is still available as one of my free items since it is open source
Lobo, are you the author of that plugin ? Think we have discussed about that a couple months ago, but don't recall your answer. Sorry.
Downloading it asap, and giving it a look.

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2021 at 4:25 PM
Forum Moderator

yarp posted at 4:23PM Thu, 15 July 2021 - #4423311

As to the Poser Blender add-on that I mentioned above the actual plugin is still available as one of my free items since it is open source
Lobo, are you the author of that plugin ? Think we have discussed about that a couple months ago, but don't recall your answer. Sorry.
Downloading it asap, and giving it a look.

No I am not the original author I just still had it saved away on one of my many hard drives and DVDs I burned with stuff I have saved over the years and had contacted the creator prior to him taking down his site and asked if it was alright to continue to freely distribute it as is

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

yarp ( ) posted Thu, 15 July 2021 at 10:52 PM

Ok, thanks. I recall you said that to me now :)
II gave a lquick ook at the code, seems like it is importing a Prop or Figure in Blender with references attached. Nice effort.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.