Sun, Oct 6, 11:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Lighting in Superly (Poser 11)

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 09 August 2022 at 3:31 PM

I'm not sure anyone is even following this thread anymore, but anyhow...

I did a quick down and dirty Inquisitor Lightsaber. I didn't detail it much, and only put placeholder materials on it. I am going to do one that is not as poly heavy as this one is, at over 50K.

But what do you think? Can anyone use this? I will model the blades if anyone wants it.

q7ht4MiULCebJ91HrTEvoO3QXnXpwQKl6RmuKN2Y.png

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 09 August 2022 at 4:27 PM

Very nice.  A beautiful-looking piece.  If you make it available, I'll be glad to play around with it.  I love honing my Poser Cycles skills.  

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 09 August 2022 at 4:49 PM

I won't make this one available. I will do one that won't be taxing to most computers. This one was just an exercise to come up with a way to model it. Turns out a torus and a cylinder are the only things I needed.

The final product will be available. And have a few more details, like an activation button or switch. This one was based off a 3D printed version. I will try to find some better reference images later on.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

primorge ( ) posted Tue, 09 August 2022 at 7:57 PM

It's pretty.

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 09 August 2022 at 8:12 PM

I am having issues reproducing it. I was tempted to just do a retopology, but I am not really good enough in Blender to do it. It's tough to do in Wings 3D.

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 09 August 2022 at 8:15 PM

The way it's supposed to work is that the emitter heads are attached to the ring, and they spin around it when it's ignited. But I can't find a decent picture of one to be able to emulate that. I am going to have to wing it. All the reference images I find are not really good enough to figure out how it works.

primorge ( ) posted Tue, 09 August 2022 at 8:26 PM

I can take a crack at retopoing it for you. Strictly algorithm in either mudbox or Zbrush. I have retopoflow for Blender but thats very time consuming, its manual retopology. Very cool but still some work. I find it meditative though. I use it a bit for making clothes ( what little I've made) or fixing some of my basemeshes that I hoard. The results with algorithm retopology aren't "wow beautiful craftsmanship" but more like "hey it's the forms in less than a million polys at a button push and a few edgeflow guide strokes"

primorge ( ) posted Tue, 09 August 2022 at 8:40 PM

Ok. Times up. Nevermind. Back to painting lol.

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 09 August 2022 at 8:54 PM

I realized where I went wrong. Since I didn't get too far along, I am simply going to delete the cylinder and start again.

But thanks for the offer. I was off taking care of my pit bull and got notified of a response. I don't hang out here like I used to. I don't think anyone does, judging by how slow some of these threads are.

primorge ( ) posted Tue, 09 August 2022 at 9:17 PM

Yup. It's a cold fish.

Pretty soon it'll just be like 3 dudes and some lady with a scowling avatar... And all they'll know is Superfly render settings lol. No offense to hborre ;)

ghostship2 ( ) posted Thu, 11 August 2022 at 11:22 PM

YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 12 August 2022 at 10:07 AM
primorge posted at 9:17 PM Tue, 9 August 2022 - #4442610

Yup. It's a cold fish.

Pretty soon it'll just be like 3 dudes and some lady with a scowling avatar... And all they'll know is Superfly render settings lol. No offense to hborre ;)

You really needed to go there, didn't you?

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 13 August 2022 at 10:23 PM

Wow, I don't know how to respond...

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 14 August 2022 at 11:29 AM

rokket posted at 10:23 PM Sat, 13 August 2022 - #4442745

The horror. How about "screw you primorge" lol. I won't break.

Thanks again for helping me find that dress hborre :)

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 14 August 2022 at 12:03 PM
primorge posted at 11:29 AM Sun, 14 August 2022 - #4442765

rokket posted at 10:23 PM Sat, 13 August 2022 - #4442745

The horror. How about "screw you primorge" lol. I won't break.

Thanks again for helping me find that dress hborre :)

I just didn't know how to get into the mix. I wasn't offended or shocked...

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 14 August 2022 at 12:49 PM

What's a little banter among friends?  We're all one happy family.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 14 August 2022 at 2:39 PM · edited Sun, 14 August 2022 at 2:39 PM

qhu1fJiGNtcHuDKUbrqcZrwGsQ6mlpw7gzOKNpaM.png

I think it's a given that I have ADD or something. I start on one project and then go to another.

My idea of either a Sith or maybe just a fallen Jedi. Not sure...

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 14 August 2022 at 3:50 PM

WOW!  You can go either way with this one.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 14 August 2022 at 4:03 PM

I was just experimenting. I have to go take care of my dog. He's going nuts outside my bedroom door...

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 14 August 2022 at 8:45 PM

Ok, I'll quit messing with it now...

yXQvlzZssCP1VpmEDrEGHWMk2EY7Nr5nK8nC8CGX.png

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2022 at 7:04 AM

I decided I wasn't done messing with it. I am going to rig that suit and adjust the fallout and weightmaps until I don't have to spend so much time fixing the parts with the morph brush...

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 16 August 2022 at 7:21 PM

So I am doing a render... Gwen Stacy making the biggest mistake of her young life.

More when the render is done. It's going to take awhile. There are 3 mirrors in the scene.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 16 August 2022 at 7:56 PM

Was that allowing herself to be pushed off the building by the Green Goblin?

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 16 August 2022 at 8:15 PM

hborre posted at 7:56 PM Tue, 16 August 2022 - #4442829

Not exactly. You will see once the render is done. It's at 72 of 256 samples. I want it to run a little bit longer to clean it up. I used BB's IBL setting for the lighting, and some walls and those mirrors I mentioned.

There is some comedy in this....

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 16 August 2022 at 8:16 PM
hborre posted at 7:56 PM Tue, 16 August 2022 - #4442829

Oh, and I should have said "Spider Gwen", not just Gwen Stacy.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 16 August 2022 at 8:26 PM

Ah, the Ghost Spider!

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 16 August 2022 at 8:29 PM

hborre posted at 8:26 PM Tue, 16 August 2022 - #4442832

Ah, the Ghost Spider!

She has gone by soooo many different names since she debuted.

This render didn't cook long enough, but you get the idea. I will probably do another one when I am busy and can let it go the distance.

oS5LLaYLj9h5wHgkCVbmUQ9MfIkV90kl9ywxKuHM.png

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 12:57 PM

I changed some things around. I modified V4's pose and added a cell phone that she is trying to pick up. I may have gotten the lighting a little too dark...

IrFlXDU1fu5MHJQsueUrMyLEpJvd8cHhlbV13NWe.png

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 12:58 PM

I need to add a ceiling...

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 2:19 PM

What type of lighting are you trying to achieve?  By my assessment, since this is a studio you should have multiple light sources from the ceiling.  Studio walls are painted in light colors, they are much more reflective and illuminate the room.  And don't forget that overhead lamps need inverse squared attenuation to simulate realistic light dropoff.

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 2:42 PM

I added 3 torus' and then lit them with the Physical Surface node by ramping up the emissions. I don't know how to change the attenuation. I will look. It's probably something I know but my old brain wants to forget.

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 2:46 PM

I basically just added primitives and not actual lights

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 4:03 PM

This is how it's done.  If you use Blackbody node lighting in degrees Kelvin to simulate the specific types of lights or lighting, that will get plugged into the Emission channel.  The color chip should be set to white.

5nQ9A37IDTm86fTY9YPZQzL6J9YHvFk4vJBXmO4h.png

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 4:22 PM

I am messing with that setup you posted that added the blackbody node. I didn't even realize that you could use the Cycles nodes with the Physical Surface.

Really cool. I am tweaking the settings as I go.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 4:29 PM · edited Wed, 17 August 2022 at 4:29 PM

You can even use the Wavelength node as a source of color for theatrics but the pallet range is limited. 

JbbyU0wcyXzbtNv9jaJLPV6Seva6bB6yVCXzN68D.png

M0JYOn44JxL71NwjDKaaeCg3wu4MA8o1Rpyp6nuI.png

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 4:32 PM

I have the blackbody node temperature set at 6000, and I have the Lightfalloff set at 200. Seems to be working.

Here is the render at the 2nd sample:

kJNoVVklpz8hpRn2w3sEpeqOLNAsvSMjvOSqt7mI.png

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 4:33 PM

I'll post the final render when it completes. It's going to take most of the afternoon to finish, I think...

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 4:48 PM

The lighting looks very good.  Unfortunately, mesh-based lighting can be grainy if your pixel sampling is too low.  Otherwise, it actually looks like a studio.

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 6:30 PM

I use progressive sampling, so that was the shot as soon as the scene popped up. It's almost 60% rendered right now. I am seeing some spots (what is the nickname for those?) in the render that may or may not render out. My pixel sampling is 12, and it has served me well. Maybe this one will need more, but I will wait and see.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 6:35 PM

The white ones are fireflies, the rest are noise.

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 6:47 PM

Fireflies. That's cute. Like the old render engine...

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 7:40 PM

So the fireflies were mostly in the mirrors. I guess I have to change the settings on the reflective surface in the materials room.

In the meantime, I have messed with this enough for today...

I didn't let the render finish. It was about 67% finished when I stopped it. I am pretty sure it wouldn't have looked much better if I let it go the distance, until I change a few settings here and there.

tQmVK0MsO2xgzQTFnoaBKNbOIGDJ8wGqWeIgDC4C.png

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 7:42 PM

Premise:

Gwen: Jennifer, this place is boring. I need a real workout, not this.

She Hulk: Just give it a chance. Wait until the trainer shows up. You'll see. Oh crap, I dropped my phone.

Gwen: *IDEA*

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 7:59 PM

That hand will take time to heal properly.  I guess no web-slinging for a while.

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 8:03 PM

hborre posted at 7:59 PM Wed, 17 August 2022 - #4442882

That hand will take time to heal properly.  I guess no web-slinging for a while.

Hahahaha!!!!!

Worse, she swatted her on the ass, and the result was Jennifer trying to catch her to smack her too. The studio got torn apart...

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 10:19 PM

EZDome is so nice. The only lights in the scene are from the dome and an added sun.

FYSJ6z76oxgqxIPT8RFOlOFfgKYSiruer67ZOnCi.png

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2022 at 11:12 PM

You can do the same thing with Poser's Background.  Rotating the environment is trickier but it can give you the same results.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 18 August 2022 at 8:17 AM
Site Admin

If you set the u_offset to .25 on BB's EnvSphere, it will match the background's default rotation. Then you can turn the sphere to see what rotation you want. Then convert the y-rotation from degrees to radians and set that in the background's rotation if you use the setup here https://www.renderosity.com/forums/threads/2961030/rotation-when-using-an-hdr-bitmap-on-the-background-node. It sounds way more complicated than it is.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

ghostship2 ( ) posted Thu, 18 August 2022 at 8:44 PM

you can use the background to light an outdoor set and it will provide the sunlight and shadows. Background lighting also renders with less noise than a dome. I don't use background lighting all the time but it does make sense for outside shots.

1xBolI9wOReEZl4S0ygk6NlG74w7TtCPAYESIDeC.jpg

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 18 August 2022 at 9:23 PM

Is that the Spaniard from The Highlander?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.