Thu, Oct 3, 12:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 13

Welcome to the Poser 13 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, RedPhantom

(Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 4:54 pm)

Subject: Poser hangs when cancelling a superfly render

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 27 April 2023 at 5:12 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 10:22 PM

I tried the same file in Poser 12, and it's fine. Click "cancel," and the render cancels nearly instantly.

But with Poser 13, it just hangs. Task Manager shows CPU usage is high, but nothing seems to be happening. Maybe it would resolve eventually, but after several minutes, I killed Poser. Tried it again after rebooting, same results.

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 27 April 2023 at 7:14 PM

I am not seeing that on my system, it immediately stated it is cancelling and odes so after 10 seconds or so.  The only problem I am having is Poser going walk about with the CPU showing high usage but nothing appearing to be happening in Poser.  Problem often occurs if I have been working on a scene and then take the 'New' route from the file tab, if I shut down Poser and then load the same scene form scratch there are no issues.  It is almost as though Poser is not letting go of the old scene. 

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

ShaneNewville ( ) posted Thu, 27 April 2023 at 10:14 PM · edited Thu, 27 April 2023 at 10:17 PM
randym77 posted at 5:12 PM Thu, 27 April 2023 - #2979035

I tried the same file in Poser 12, and it's fine. Click "cancel," and the render cancels nearly instantly.

But with Poser 13, it just hangs. Task Manager shows CPU usage is high, but nothing seems to be happening. Maybe it would resolve eventually, but after several minutes, I killed Poser. Tried it again after rebooting, same results.

Ive run into this too.  For test sake, next time it hangs, see what happens if you press Alt+F4  (make sure you saved your work before attempting, or try with a test scene).
See if instead of forcing Poser closed (as Alt+F4 normally would), see if it cancels render, freezes Poser for a few seconds, and then go back to normal.  If it does, now try to render with Superfly against and then also cancel it again once it starts.   Curious if we are getting the same results.

Previs Dummies 2

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 27 April 2023 at 11:42 PM
ShaneNewville posted at 10:14 PM Thu, 27 April 2023 - #4463618

Ive run into this too.  For test sake, next time it hangs, see what happens if you press Alt+F4  (make sure you saved your work before attempting, or try with a test scene).
See if instead of forcing Poser closed (as Alt+F4 normally would), see if it cancels render, freezes Poser for a few seconds, and then go back to normal.  If it does, now try to render with Superfly against and then also cancel it again once it starts.   Curious if we are getting the same results.
Yes, that's what happens! Though Poser freezes for more than a few seconds. Maybe a minute or so. But then it works fine. Superfly seems to render a lot faster afterwards, too.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2023 at 11:21 AM

The first time after Poser installs, or after you update some specific drivers on your computer, Poser needs to rebuild render kernels. This can take some minutes to do, and then it won't do that again unless something (installation/drivers) changes.

If you're rendering directly, Poser will say it's building render kernels in the progress bar of the render, but if you're rendering on background, nothing will warn you of this, it'll just build the kernels, and it might feel frozen or crash if you interrupt it. Could this be what's going on?

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2023 at 11:56 AM

Could be. But what does it mean if I've shut down Poser using the task manager during the process? Does that mean the kernels aren't fully built or something?

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2023 at 10:25 AM
randym77 posted at 11:56 AM Fri, 28 April 2023 - #4463661

Could be. But what does it mean if I've shut down Poser using the task manager during the process? Does that mean the kernels aren't fully built or something?

That's a bit above my knowledge - no idea, sorry xD

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

ShaneNewville ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2023 at 6:07 PM
ShaneNewville posted at 10:14 PM Thu, 27 April 2023 - #4463618

Quoting myself since Edit is not an option.  

I haven't run into this again since it first happened.  Ive been trying to replicate it but no luck so far. 

Previs Dummies 2

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 1:08 AM

I suspect Ohki! is correct. It's building the kernels or whatever that takes so long.

I had it happen more than once, but it was probably because I killed it too soon.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 3:53 AM · edited Wed, 03 May 2023 at 3:54 AM

Here's what I suspect:
- I installed Poser13 last April 7
- an update took place on April 12th, around 23h30

And if I take a look the the "gpu" folder, in the "Runtime" folder, but the one located where the executable lies, there are two binary files with the same date/hour of modification:

mZtc2seyAjXXHbMTI3boqcA1O32ZF0UXiGthFEWs.png

It's probably already managed in Poser, at a programming level but I suspect that these files are automatically rebuilt if they are missing or invalid.

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.