Tue, Oct 1, 5:41 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: silhouette lighting

mr_red ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2024 at 9:15 AM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 5:37 PM

not posting pics on this because i always get told off.

I am trying to make  figures (in the head shot) light in silhouette so you only see the shape of the character with light behind.

I have tried many ways to do this but I am not getting anywhere but annoyed so hopefully one of you nice people will save me. 

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2024 at 12:33 PM
Online Now!

What ways have you tried?  The only method that comes to my mind is using a single spotlight from behind the figure.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2024 at 12:37 PM

At the bottom-right corner of the preview window, click the second color picker and choose whatever "lit" color you want. Turn off all lights and remove/hide glowing objects.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2024 at 12:42 PM · edited Mon, 08 January 2024 at 12:42 PM

gYChYKs4MLSKyyMPqhc5HwaoB3NM3NHaRN7Jfikn.png

Note that if you save your image to PNG format, it might make the background invisible. If that happens and you don't know how to change that, come back.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

mr_red ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2024 at 12:43 PM

i tried the single spot light behind the head but its not showing enough light behind.  this is for a shadow council thing in a comic book so i want the shape of the persons head but no features showing.

mr_red ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2024 at 12:44 PM
bagginsbill posted at 12:42 PM Mon, 8 January 2024 - #4480196

gYChYKs4MLSKyyMPqhc5HwaoB3NM3NHaRN7Jfikn.png

Note that if you save your image to PNG format, it might make the background invisible. If that happens and you don't know how to change that, come back.

ok now thats clever. I will see if i can do that

mr_red ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2024 at 12:59 PM

sort of there, but why the red on the skin? rW2vN5yaULOHfHTD8Eja0WRQN2btWUyDiPcwD7eI.jpg

shvrdavid ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2024 at 1:05 PM

Something in your shader setup is emitting light. 

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

mr_red ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2024 at 2:53 PM

thanks

mr_red ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2024 at 3:16 PM

where do i find the shader settings?

shvrdavid ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2024 at 3:24 PM

Does the figure you are using have a whiteout texture setting in the materials? If so, apply that and see what happens.

A shader like that should not emit any light.

If it doesn't have one, you will have to make or apply one to it, then apply it to all body parts.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2024 at 3:29 PM
Online Now!

Material Room for the figure's skin textures.  Look on the PoserSurface node for an active ambient value.  Otherwise, if the figure has nodes connected to the Alternate_Diffuse, you will also get an ambient glow.

mr_red ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2024 at 3:41 PM

thanks Hborre I have to go thought the figure and set the ambient value to 0 on all the head parts. will be a pain with 7 figures but at least i have an answer now

Badia01 ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2024 at 6:19 PM

What I do achieve a "shadow only" effect is

1.  Select the character

2.  Open  the "Properties" tab for that character (right side menu under your libraries menu)

3.  Uncheck the "Visible in Camera" option.

That makes the selected character invisible in a render, but it's shadow appears.  Useful FX in many works.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.