Thu, Oct 3, 12:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:12 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Is there a thread on just materials, and editing/changing materials, not th

staigermanus ( ) posted Sun, 14 January 2024 at 9:35 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 12:15 PM

I was wondering, because we have made some progress in PD Howler's PBR-capable viewer for OBJ files. Summarized in this video:  https://youtu.be/G0cPLK1ur1M?si=1PlcoSislnfdOk_H

Would there be a thread specific to dealing with material props where this could be shown?

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sun, 14 January 2024 at 10:20 AM
Forum Moderator

Just need some clarity changing material on obj props in what application are you looking for this information? Depending on the application materials on props can normally changed in their shading editor like Blender or in the Material room in Poser and I think Daz Studio has a similar material editor. I need more information on what you are trying to accomplish so I can better find you an answer 

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

staigermanus ( ) posted Sun, 14 January 2024 at 12:54 PM

oh I know that if I make my own models, such as in Blender, Carrara or other tools, there will be a material editing section, a shader room or whatever it's called case by case. It's of course possible to make changes there in the native app where the model came from. Or even, say for example, if a model was saved as Wavefront .obj with .mtl materials, it can be re-imported in even other apps, and materials re-edited.

That is kind of what I have in mind, since in PD Howler we are starting to have PBR material capabilities. So whether I make my own model, or import one that was acquired, I imagine there are tutorials and tips/tricks focused on just the material props and how to edit them for various effects such as turning a clay surface into marble, with some reflection, or silver, golden, rusty,... and many other looks.

Maybe there hasn't been a focus on material props regardless of the apps. I was just thinking, since many artists use more than one tool, it might help to compare notes and techniques across applications, even share resources in some cases.

Warlock279 ( ) posted Sun, 14 January 2024 at 5:52 PM

I think what you're looking for, would have been in the Texturing forum before it was sent to the nether, if it was anywhere. Would have been nice if those forums could have been archived rather than . . . disappeared.

I don't think moving materials between different software gets a whole lot of attention because the scenarios where you'd be doing that most frequently would be using  UVs/image-texture maps, so the information is "baked" into the image, its not very common to move "procedural" or shader-based* textures between different software packages, there's just too many differences [well, render engines technically] for that, so non-image based texturing tends to be very software dependant.

The general concepts of texturing hold true across all software packages. For example, if you're making a glass surface, you're going to want to apply a "fresnel" effect. How you apply that is going to vary from software to software, and there's usually going to be a few options that each come different with pros/cons in every software packaged. Same goes for everything else. Marble? You're going to want some sub-surface scattering on there. How you get that is going to vary from one engine to another, and there's likely to be a couple options. It comes down to learning the general concepts, and then figuring out how to apply them in your software.

Usually artists using multiple tools aren't using them for the same purpose, ie, they're not rendering in half a dozen different programs. They might be modeling in one, painting textures in another, rigging in something else, and rendering in a fourth or something.

*Some software packages/render engines do support certain shader-types, say, Render-Man type shaders for example.

Core i7 950@3.02GHz | 12GB Corsair Dominator Ram@1600mHz | 2GB Geforce GTX 660

Lightwave | Blender | Marmoset | GIMP | Krita

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sun, 14 January 2024 at 9:47 PM
Forum Moderator

Some render engines can work with similar attributes and others you have to retweak setting to make them achieve what you want from  a cartoon style render to something more realistic. PBR textures or texturing in general share some common workflows but each application is going to have it's own way of doing things even with applications like Substance Painter you at times still need to either an addon or plugin so it will export textures and PBR made in Substance Painter to export them out to Blender Maya 3Ds Max and so forth heck even Zbrush has a quirk that it exports textures upside down and you have flip them in Zbrush so they are in the right direction when importing back into your modeling software. So I do not think there is one universal way that covers how to do it all that would cover all potential softwares I think you will need to focus on the main packages you want to work with and there are tutorials on how they can work together. I feel I am failing to truly answer your question but I hope that some of the information is helpful in some way

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

LandonLopez ( ) posted Thu, 14 March 2024 at 7:36 AM

Thanks for the info, I will keep it in my mind.

Lanaa ( ) posted Thu, 30 May 2024 at 5:07 AM

Thanks for the information, I found this helpful.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.