Tue, Oct 1, 2:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 7:03 pm)

Subject: Persistent error message upon opening PPro14

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 27 August 2024 at 12:48 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 2:26 PM

Assuming I can successfully attach an image, nowadays, the attached should show the error message.  My best guess about the cause is that yesterday I double-clicked the wrong thing and opened a pose file straight from Windows Explorer that way.  The message began appearing with every Poser restart, after that.

I've tried editing every settings file I can find in AppData that seems even conceivably related to the message, but no dice.  Comics characters aren't anatomically correct.

Any ideas?  Anyone?

(Edit.  Attaching images on Rosity got WEIRD, while I wasn't looking.  Also, I checked the permissions and access for the folder listed in the error, and nothing had changed since before the error started, but I unchecked the "read-only" mark anyway.)

xQjQaUL2ndE7NbHruQdqmJ8STWcl6pkfHeZuArFR.jpg

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Crystalis ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2024 at 6:34 PM · edited Wed, 28 August 2024 at 6:37 PM

Right-click on the Poser shortcut, Properties and check "Run as Administrator"

You should also clear the current Windows file association type for PZ2 files from opening with Poser by default. Set it to Notepad or a good text editor, if you can't clear it.

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2024 at 7:21 PM

Ah, so it's not the folder's permissions, but Poser's?  That did not occur to me.  I will give that a shot.  Thank you.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Cage ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2024 at 5:41 PM

Sadly, the above did not work.

Possibly I should have noted at the outset that the message appears as the library is being loaded.  Poser 10 had the old Flash-based library, if that means anything.

Richard60 ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2024 at 9:32 PM
Online Now!

Have you tried to rename the LibraryState.xml file?  It stores the open state of the library folders and you may have saved it when you closed and it is now trying to re-open something that may not be possible.

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

Crystalis ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2024 at 10:17 PM · edited Thu, 29 August 2024 at 10:20 PM

Richard is right. I always kept a backup .ZIP with the State and Prefs files. If Poser opens up and everything, all the settings for windows are haywire, I would just close Poser, revert those files (replace them) and be back in bussiness again. It usually happened when I changed the resolution of the monitor, up or down, or forced Poser to end task.

I don't know if a Windows right-click to 'Restore Previous Versions' on the file Richard mentioned works. It should, if you have an earlier version available, but Windows doesn't always backup all files.

Cage ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2024 at 10:42 PM

Interesting.  I did not try to rename it, but I did study that file.  I don't think I modified it; IIRC, nothing in it seemed obviously linked to the problem.  But I do not really know what the problem may be, okay so.

I will try these suggestions.  Thank you.

Crystalis ( ) posted Fri, 30 August 2024 at 11:16 PM · edited Fri, 30 August 2024 at 11:19 PM

The logic here is this: you rename that file (you don't want to delete it, in case you're wrong about it) so Poser will create a new Prefs file with default everything, and Poser will open just fine.

You can sort (in Windows Explorer) to view your Poser folders and files by Date, newest modified files first. You'll see what changed and when, so let's say you had this happen two days ago, well. . . look a the file that was last modified on the 28th (today's the 30th)

Cage ( ) posted Sat, 31 August 2024 at 10:05 AM

I know what I was doing, when the error began.  I was using a Python script to generate poses.  It was an older script that turned out to have some errors -- Poser files can apparently have more varied bracket formatting than we had assumed while developing it -- so I was modifying the script as I went along, as well as creating and deleting and recreating poses the whole time.

I don't think I deleted any folders.  I did create a few during the process.  The transitional files, all those WIP poses, are long gone.

IIRC, in the midst of all of the above, I was working in that pose folder, possibly examining the files in Poser Editor, when I double-clicked one and oops.

Cage ( ) posted Sat, 31 August 2024 at 12:39 PM · edited Sat, 31 August 2024 at 12:40 PM

No luck.  I renamed the file, then tested opening Poser.  The same error resulted.  I deleted the new file and also renamed the other two library files in Poser's AppData folder, but still the same error message.

Then I tried opening numerous files in Poser, using the double-click approach, assuming that Windows was keeping a list of most-recently used files somewhere, and I might be able to fill up that list with new entries.  That did not help, and the error was thrown every time one of the files was opened.

Then I searched the registry, using Regedit, for Libraries/Pose.  All I found were two listings belonging to Poser File Editor.

Then I searched for all files modified during the period that this has been happening, and starting a few days before the error.  There were no files listed that were unrecognizable, no data files of any kind that might store a path like this.

Somehow, somewhere, either Poser or Windows must be keeping some kind of record of opened files, to be able to throw this error.  I have no idea where that might be.  My next test will involve replacing standard Poser installation files from backup, but I don't expect that to help.  That old library involves complications with Flash and (Tarim help us all) Internet Explorer, so who the heck knows what could be happening out there.

Crystalis ( ) posted Sat, 31 August 2024 at 1:43 PM · edited Sat, 31 August 2024 at 1:48 PM

I think this thread may be related to what you are trying to achieve:

https://www.renderosity.com/forums/threads/2957169/retrieving-posers-folders-when-scripting-outside-poser-windows

Huge favor to ask: let that thread be and don't try to add a reply to it. Thanks.

Richard60 ( ) posted Mon, 02 September 2024 at 7:24 PM
Online Now!

So, I just did the same thing that you did.  I was moving Files around in a runtime and the mouse took the click as a double click and opened Poser.  I closed Poser and continued to move files around.  Now whenever I open Poser I get a message much like yours.  you have to edit the LibraryPrefs.xml and delete the runtime that is causing the issue.  If you have Poser open and click on the remove library option it will list all the attached runtimes.  There are a couple you cannot remove and they are grayed out.  Also it appears the one that is the cause of the error message is also grayed out.  That makes it kind of easy to find.  The long term fix is something i am now working on as it appears to be a windows file time issue as Poser cannot find the time of the folder so that is the root cause..

I will be doing some more tests but at least you have an idea of where the problem is. 

Richard60 ( ) posted Tue, 03 September 2024 at 11:15 AM
Online Now!

Further testing and it appears that one of the folders in the runtime is the cause.  I tried to rename the folder and that failed.  Then I copied the entire folder to a NAS storage box and copied those files back to a new folder and still get the same error when I attach that new folder to the library.  So to me that says it is a setting on one or more of the folders or files in the runtime.  It would need to be something on a higher level as the error pops up with in a couple of seconds of attaching the Runtime.

Next will be to rename all the folders inside the runtime and see which one causes the issue.

Richard60 ( ) posted Tue, 03 September 2024 at 9:02 PM
Online Now!

Well I found what was causing the error issue on my computer.  When Poser was opened by clicking on one of the pose files somehow it also managed to place a shortcut file inside my Pose Folder. When i renamed Pose to XPose then Poser created a new Pose folder and did not have the error issue.  So I moved the files from the XPose over to the new Pose and would try Poser every once in  awhile and it did not error out.  When I got down to the last sets of Files I noticed the Short-Cut in the XPose folder and when I moved that file over the error came back.

@Gage I would look in your folders inside the bad runtime and see if you have any windows short-cut files.  Mine was for the My Documents folder, yours will probably be that folder on the end of your error message.  Remove that short-cut and things should return to normal.

Cage ( ) posted Thu, 05 September 2024 at 9:39 AM

That fixed it, all right.  Thank you, Richard60.  That was driving me bonkers.

So what creates a shortcut, and why would it do that?  Huh.

Was the library trying to follow the shortcut, or treat it like a folder, itself?

Richard60 ( ) posted Thu, 05 September 2024 at 10:33 AM
Online Now!

According to the IT department at work a shortcut can be created if you click and drag a file.  I was selecting files and my mouse would unclick and ruin the move I was trying to do.  So somehow I managed to fake windows into thinking I wanted to create a shortcut and so it did inside my Pose folder.  And when Poser runs it looks at all the folders and files inside the runtime to try and build the database of assets.  A shortcut is similar to but not exactly like a file and when Poser try's to read the information for that item it returns garbage and Poser freaks.  So most likely Poser thought it was a Folder and tried to open it to see what is inside and that is where the error is since the shortcut is not in the path that Poser was walking down when it came upon that shortcut.

Cage ( ) posted Thu, 05 September 2024 at 2:16 PM

Do current versions of Poser still do this?  If so, perhaps the Poser team should be advised that the library system should ignore shortcuts.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 05 September 2024 at 3:45 PM

Although this appears to be a problem in your case, the Favorites folder in the Poser Library links PZ2 shortcuts whenever a file is created.  Duplicating that folder to other Poser versions have not presented any problems for me.

Cage ( ) posted Thu, 05 September 2024 at 4:51 PM

Interesting.  I do wonder what's going on with this, then.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.